Sectional Tournament Seeding

4thgoal
SEOPS

Sectional Tournament Seeding

Post by 4thgoal »

Its hard to believe it is time to think about it already, but most teams only have 3-4 games left until the seeding for the tournament on 10/6. Who will be the top seeds?

D2 North: Circleville, Fairfield Union, Hillsboro, Logan Elm, McClain, Miami Trace, Unioto, Washington (Washington CH). (8)
D2 South: Athens, Gallia Academy, Jackson, Marietta, Minford, Northwest, South Point, Warren, Waverly. (9)

D3 West: Eastern Sardinia, Leesburg Fairfield, Lynchburg Clay, North Adams, Peebles, Valley, West Union (7)
D3 South: Chesapeake, Clay (Portsmouth), Glenwood, Ironton St. Joseph, Portsmouth West, South Webster, Wheelersburg. (7)
D3 North: Adena, Alexander, Belpre, Piketon, Southeastern, Zane Trace (6)

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Sectional Tournament Seeding

Post by danicalifornia »

I can only really speak for D2, but I have to say the South is completely loaded in comparison to the North.

Tonight's Circleville @ Unioto game could decide the 2 seed up North as Fairfield Union's record is much better than anyone else's and they don't play Circleville until after the draw. Miami Trace will have an argument as well if they keep winning. Unioto has a favorable next 2 games after tonight and a win tonight would be huge.

In the South, who knows how it will go, but I'd be willing to bet Minford and Waverly will play at some point very early, like it feels like Waverly has to do with someone strong normally.

As for D3, I'll predict the 1s as Lynchburg Clay, Wheelersburg, and Zane Trace. The 2s as Eastern Brown, South Webster, and Southeastern. The West looks to be the toughest sectional.

And I think we need a super sectional for at the very least D2.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I just did a bit of research at OSSCA.org in the schedules section and found a couple of interesting facts.

The South currently has 1 team (2-3-1 Gallia) under .500. South Point (8-1-1) is a huge unknown and I believe their schedule will drop them and force them to beat 2 very good squads to advance to district play. You also have Warren (4-1-1) Marietta (8-2-1) Waverly (6-2-2) and Minford (7-2-1) fighting for a top spot.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

What`s everybody`s thoughts on the girls side?

I know that as of today, FU and Hillsboro are still unbeaten and Circleville is close behind. Unioto and Zane Trace have some losses but they play a tough schedule.

MHS_Soccer_Dad
Freshman Team

Post by MHS_Soccer_Dad »

Warren boys are up to 7-1-1.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I agree, the D2 south is brutal. There are 4-5 teams in there that could take one of the 2 sectional titles. I also agree that South Point has an impressive record, but they don't have any solid wins. Burg plays South Point this Thursday, so I will have a better guage for how good they really are after seeing that game. I think you are on target with your D3 predictions as well. Burg and South Webster still have another game against eachother, but it is on 10/10 (after the draw).

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Brutal is an understatement.
Here is how I see it right now.

1.Warren 7-1-1 Big wins: Marietta, Athens Poor result: Logan(T)
2.Marietta 8-2-1 Big wins:Athens
3.Waverly 6-2-2 Big wins:Minford Poor result:McClain(T)
4.Athens 5-4-1 Big wins:Waverly,Warren
5. Minford 7-2-1 Wins:Waverly Poor result: Unioto(T)
6. South Point 8-1-1 Big wins: none
7. Jackson 5-5 Wins: none Losses: SW,Logan
8. Northwest 6-4-1 wins: none losses: Valley
9: Gallia

-Warren and Marietta will come down to the wire, I believe Marietta is the better squad but they will have to beat Warren to get the #1.
-Athens is a tough situation, 2 big wins and no bad results. But 4 losses is 4 losses no matter who you play and it has to come into account.
-Waverly and Minford are similar but Waverly plays a tougher schedule and beat Unioto 5-2 where Minford tied. 3,4,5 could go either way.
-South Point plays all D3 schedule and not a strong one at that. If they beat Wburg it could move them up some, if not I assume this is where they will land.
-Same with Jackson and NW, Jackson plays tough schedule.

MHS_Soccer_Dad
Freshman Team

Post by MHS_Soccer_Dad »

Unfortunately, Marietta and Warren don't play again until after seeding. Marietta has 2 big games before seeding...8-1-2 D1 Zanesville and 5-0-5 D1 Medina (Ranked 7th in State). Warren plays 10-0-0 D1 Chillicothe (Ranked 12th in State).

MarkWilliamson
Freshman Team

Post by MarkWilliamson »

Smeltzy wrote:What`s everybody`s thoughts on the girls side?

I know that as of today, FU and Hillsboro are still unbeaten and Circleville is close behind. Unioto and Zane Trace have some losses but they play a tough schedule.
Smeltzy,

I think Hillsboro has one loss - to Clinton Massie. I wish the coaches would update the OSSCA website so we can know who is where come seeding time. I think after Hillsboro it is pretty much up for grabs. Casey certainly has done a fine job at FU.

I will give my 2 cents after Unioto's matches against Circleville and FU next week.

Best of luck to FU the rest of the season.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

coach, I definitely agree with you. We `ll know a lot more after next week on the top teams. Thanks for the well wishes but I know you meant except for the game against you...LOL.

MarkWilliamson
Freshman Team

Post by MarkWilliamson »

Smeltzy wrote:coach, I definitely agree with you. We `ll know a lot more after next week on the top teams. Thanks for the well wishes but I know you meant except for the game against you...LOL.
LOL - I am glad to see FU playing well. We drew with Circleville last night 2-2. Scored the tying goal with 21 sec left. Circleville has a nice side - we just had a couple of breakdowns defensively. We travel to Lancaster tomorrow..

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Here is my full seeding prediction for D3. I think the top 2 seeds in each should easily move on to district play.
WEST
1.Lynchburg Clay 9-1-1
2.Eastern Brown 8-2
3.Fairfield 8-2
4.Valley 6-4
5.Peebles 5-5
6.North Adams 3-7-1
7.West Union 0-9
SOUTH
1.Wheelersburg 7-1-3
2.South Webster 7-4-1
3.West 4-6-1
4.New Boston 5-5
5.St.Joe 2-5-2
6.Clay 2-8-1
7.Chesapeake 0-6
NORTH
1.Zane Trace 10-2
2.Southeastern 6-3
3.Belpre 3-2-1
4.Alexander 1-7
5.Adena 1-9-1
6.Piketon 0-9

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Coach.............we tied 1-1 with ZaneTrace. We`ll take that result due to that horrid playing field down there. See ya next week. What time do you play in Lancaster? Cause we play at Fisher Catholic tomorrow night.

Keeper1967
Waterboy

Post by Keeper1967 »

D2 is south loaded. Any of 6 or 7 teams would be a top 2 seed in the north but it is what it is.

I see:
1. Warren
2. Marietta
3. Athens
4-6: Jackson, Minford, Waverly in some order. Minford and Waverly split, Jackson beat Wavery, Minford beat Jackson. Jackson plays a tougher schedule with 2 each against Warren and Athens but those three teams are all very even
7. South Point - very weak schedule
8-9. Gallia/Northwest

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Really miss coaching against Amvets, and buddy from ZT too. Very good coaches and better people!! Have a great deal of respect for Unioto because of Amvets! Fu needs to play well next week. Could be pivotal in their sectional draw. Even Draws would be good. Nice to see another great freshman class come through FU, hopefully this, along with the JH program will help to sustain success this time! Sounds like FU found a GEM of a coach in Casey! Very happy to see Fu playing well again! Aloha!

MarkWilliamson
Freshman Team

Post by MarkWilliamson »

Smeltzy and Falcon01 - I appreciate the kind words - while there have been bumps in road I have loved my time at Unioto and Falcon miss you and coach Arnold - have not heard from him in quite a while. If you keep in contact with him pass on my regards. Smeltzy - ZT's field sees a lot of traffic with football, soccer etc. Our's isn't a little better but seeing a lot of wear and tear in the goal area. We play Lancaster at 7:15 - interestingly there is no JV game and I wish we could have moved our game to 5:30 to avoid the late return for our kids. Good luck against Fisher Catholic tonight and I will keep you guys posted on our result.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

South Point 10-1- 1 with a 1-0 win over Burg tonight

MarkWilliamson
Freshman Team

Post by MarkWilliamson »

Unioto drops a 4-3 decision to Lancaster. Once again the 'U' ladies fall behind 2-0 within the first five minutes. Showed great heart in coming back and actually leading 3-2. An own goal ( THE SEVENTH THIS SEASON ) ties it up and Lancaster scores with about 10 min remaining to get the 'W'.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Well.....Congrats coach on the win. After we went up 1-0, you guys just simply outplayed us the rest of the way and won it. Good job by your girls. Of course, it helped taking my daughter out of the game half way through the second half for the rest of the game....haha! Let me know your thoughts.

Unioto 2
FU 1

MarkWilliamson
Freshman Team

Post by MarkWilliamson »

Smeltzy, was your daughter number 11 ?? There was a lot of physical play - I thought the ref's could have done a little better job controlling. #8 for you guys was a slide tackling beast.

Both sides looked good - you guys outplayed us in the first half and we had an advantage in the second. Game really could have gone either way. I am just tickled to death we didn't have any own goals.. LOL.

Things are gonna be interesting at the seeding meeting on Sunday.

Best of luck to you guys the rest of the way !!!

Return to “Soccer”