Wheelersburg Girls Soccer

4thgoal
SEOPS

Wheelersburg Girls Soccer

Post by 4thgoal »

Wheelersburg has officially announced that they will be fielding a girls team in the fall of 2014. Maybe the powers that be will decide to have an offical SOC champion in Girls Soccer for the first time ever now that there are 4 teams.

GreenGrass
Freshman Team

Re: Wheelersburg Girls Soccer

Post by GreenGrass »

Yay, so happy to hear this.

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

Congrats to Burg for stepping up and fielding a team. Good luck in your first season.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Wheelersburg was actually the first SOC school to have a girls team. I believe it was in 1985, they entered a team into the tournament and won a district title.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

good to see girls soccer added to wheelersburg. good for soccer in southern ohio. good for girls at wheelersburg.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

That is good news that another school is starting a girls soccer program. With Minford, Northwest and West already playing, a conference title would be a good move. Would create more interest and something for the girls to fight for, which in turn would gain more fan attendance.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

Mybe they could combine the OVC and SOC and St. Joe for their own league.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

South Point, Chesapeake, and St. Joe plus Burg, West, Minford and Northwest

Pedro
Riding the Bench

Post by Pedro »

Fairland is having a girls soccer team in 2014 also. I know they are on the schedule for several teams.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

osumufan wrote:Mybe they could combine the OVC and SOC and St. Joe for their own league.
I believe they are having an SOC/OVC preview this year.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

http://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/ne ... r-for-fall

By Chris Slone
April 10, 2014

Chris Slone

cslone@civitasmedia.com

The Wheelersburg Pirates have decided to embark on a new athletic challenge and given the success of their other programs, deductive reasoning suggests the Pirates will achieve success in their next venture — which takes place this fall as Wheelersburg will add girls soccer.

Youth soccer is well established in Wheelersburg, which will make the transition to the high school scene easier. Wheelersburg Athletic Director Chris Porter understands the foundation of the community’s youth program.

“The Wheelersburg Youth Soccer program has always had a large number of girls participating, so the foundation has always been there,” Porter said. “With such a limited number of girls teams in our area, it just hasn’t been feasible to offer a team. In recent years, there have been other teams added in our area so we have had an increased interest in fielding a team of our own.”

The youth program has served the boys’ soccer team successfully over the years and Porter is confident the girls program will benefit from the youth soccer program.

“We feel that the success of the youth program will follow the girls the same way it helps the boys program,” Porter said. “We hope to be competitive and we feel we have created a reasonable schedule to build a foundation for future teams as well as to experience success in our first years …”

The youth program has already served one purpose as the new coach of the girls’ team spent the last 14 years serving the youth program.

Todd Jarvis, a former Wheelersburg alum, has been named the first coach of the Pirates girls’ soccer program. Jarvis is charged with the task of building a successful program.

Jarvis doesn’t believe the success of the program will be judged on wins and losses, at least in the first year.

“The success of a brand new program can be measured in a lot of different ways,” Jarvis said. “It may or may not be with wins or losses …

“I want to create a program the girls can be proud of and to create an environment where they want to be a participant. This is a long commitment for me. The girls who really benefit from the program in 2014 are currently in the fifth or sixth grade. Because now these girls have a future and a place to go when it comes to soccer.”

Porter couldn’t be more excited handing the program over to Jarvis.

” … We are excited for the girls and pleased to have Coach Jarvis leading the program,” Porter said. “He has a lot of experience with the youth programs and has followed the boys team closely over the years so he has a good understanding of what a successful program looks like.”

Chris Slone can be reached at 353-3101, ext 298, or on Twitter @crslone.
Link:http://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/ar ... =printthis

© 2014 Civitas Media, All rights reserved

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Congrats and best of luck to the girls and Coach Jarvis!!
Here's to hoping Waverly isn't many years behind and can get a girls program off the ground soon as well. It has been to the board a few times without much luck thus far.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

It would be good to see Waverly and Valley add girls soccer.

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

I heard Clay was considering girl's team. Any truth to this?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Tower wrote:I heard Clay was considering girl's team. Any truth to this?
I haven't heard anything, but they usually have several girls playing. I am not sure they would have enough to field both boys and girls teams or not.

Return to “Soccer”