Post by homeward_bound »

2nd game:
Chillicothe 4
Waverly 1

Riverhog
Waterboy

Re: Unioto JR High Soccer Tournament

Post by Riverhog »

From some involvement in my daughter’s Soccer world it would appear that the most athletic and experienced kids play club Fall and Spring at the Jr. high age. Most of the higher level kids don’t filter into the school programs until high school. The thought process is 1) it is not a coed experience 2) you play better competition from the metro areas and even from other states. The kids that are playing within these Jr High programs are either trying the sport for the first time or don’t have the resources/ability to travel week in and week out or lastly are still coming of age athletically.

The coach of Unioto, who didn’t start out as the coach in the beginning of the year, said that 5 Unioto kids went to the local club team because of the uncertainty of having a school team, As well as, he also had 5 kids who had never played Soccer before. Chilly had several kids who where club caliber. So from the onset this contest was not going to be competitive. Would the score have been different or even the outcome of the game have been changed if the best talent from both schools would have been there, very possible. That answer will be answered year in and year out at the high school level.

Now the dropping of 20 goals on someone… Even as competitive as I am, I see no justification in this. I have seen my daughter’s club team rip open opponents quickly, but I have also seen her coach refocus the girls to work on their skills and fundamentals as others have stated ( in earlier posts) practicing on doing things her team is not good at to become better. Instead of seeing just how many goals they could score. Because honestly they have been ripped open themselves a time or too, and understand how it feels. You learn nothing by continuing to pummel a team by only working on your strengths and not giving your less skilled players valuable minutes to improve themselves. Sadly, I saw very little if any of this Monday night.

So the superior team learned they could score twenty goals. Otherwise, they learned nothing! The Unioto kids learned what they will need to do to improve, skills wise, thought wise etc. and where handed a burning desire to improve. And when combined with their club playing class mates, will now play for one objective. “Humiliation is a fiery motivator, long on memory, short on mercy."

lilcountrygal23
Waterboy

Post by lilcountrygal23 »

svcbaseballfan wrote:Mark, at some point there has to be consequences to CMS for doing that. I would see to it they not longer play in the JH tourney. The Unioto tourney is one of the only JH tourneys. Let them keep their $125. Heck, I would send it back to them now and tell them they are done.
SVCBASEBALLFAN, unlike prior years I am not involved in the running of this years tournament - that is another story for another time.

I do agree with you there should be consequences. We went from averaging 10+ teams ( not including ours ) the previous years to only having 4 total this year. No doubt that once word gets out about these lopsided scores interest will continue to dwindle and more than likely kill off the tournament.

Having been around the game for a while things like this seem to be more a recurring theme. Is seems more often than not decisions are made based on personal vendettas and personal ( player gain ) as to what is in the best interests of the overall program / team.

I truly wish I had the answer on what could be done to rectify these issues.

homeward_bound
Waterboy

Post by homeward_bound »

Is the team from Wheelersburg a junior high team or a club team?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Homeward_Bound wrote:Is the team from Wheelersburg a junior high team or a club team?
Unfortunately, there are no school sponsored junior high teams in Scioto Co.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

We used to have a running clock if the score was over a 5 goal difference and the most a team could get in goal differential for pool play was +3 to help control scores. I don't believe that I ever saw a team score in double figures in the 4 years I helped run the tournament and believe me, there were some huge mismatches on occasion.

It just looks like sportsmanship isn't something known to everyone and it's very disappointing to see.

Return to “Soccer”