Best Defenders

pan-man
Freshman Team

Best Defenders

Post by pan-man »

Who are some of the best defenders on your schools team OR
Who are some sleepers on your team that will make an impact????

thenoose
Freshman Team

Re: Best Defenders

Post by thenoose »

Minford's whole defense this past season was dominant and stopped almost everything that came their way. But, they will be graduating almost all of them except 2 i believe

hitman2238
Waterboy

Post by hitman2238 »

i agree with noose minfords defense the last few years has been the strong point of there team i havent seen much of the defenses for this year but i no there will be two goalies im watchin for in jordan for minford and leslie for north west

soccer11
Waterboy

Post by soccer11 »

almost everyone's defenses have gradutated or have moved other players in so defense is going to be a question on just about every coaches minds

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

Waverly Tiger Harrison Martin will be one to watch next year in soccer. Also a great athlete in Baseball and Basketball.

wildeyes7679
Waterboy

Post by wildeyes7679 »

I believe Chillicothe Cavalier defenders Paul Horning (11), Todd Elliott (12), & Tyler Semancik (12) will be very strong.

xb1srw2
Freshman Team

Post by xb1srw2 »

hitman2238 wrote:i agree with noose minfords defense the last few years has been the strong point of there team i havent seen much of the defenses for this year but i no there will be two goalies im watchin for in jordan for minford and leslie for north west

I actually disagree. The defense has been solid for several years. IMO, it's the way the mids and forwards have raised their level of play and understanding that has made the biggest impact. Solid defensively, IMO, has been a given. Solid offensively...not so much.

thenoose
Freshman Team

Post by thenoose »

xb1srw2 wrote:
hitman2238 wrote:i agree with noose minfords defense the last few years has been the strong point of there team i havent seen much of the defenses for this year but i no there will be two goalies im watchin for in jordan for minford and leslie for north west

I actually disagree. The defense has been solid for several years. IMO, it's the way the mids and forwards have raised their level of play and understanding that has made the biggest impact. Solid defensively, IMO, has been a given. Solid offensively...not so much.

If you read what you said doesnt it strike you as a little bit of a contradictory statement?You say that the offense was what made the difference, but then 2 sentences later you say that the defense has always been solid and the offense hasnt??whats up with that?lol

ndc soccer
Freshman Team

Post by ndc soccer »

ha that was prob one of the smartest posts i've ever read. The attacking players really worked hard and made the difference. Like he said the defensive third has always been pretty solid.

xb1srw2
Freshman Team

Post by xb1srw2 »

thenoose wrote:
xb1srw2 wrote:

If you read what you said doesnt it strike you as a little bit of a contradictory statement?You say that the offense was what made the difference, but then 2 sentences later you say that the defense has always been solid and the offense hasnt??whats up with that?lol

What I mean to say, and perhpas did not do well at it is.....
In the context of what has made the difference this past season (regarding thenoose's original post I responded to) was the defense being dominant, I disagree. I believe the defense has been stronger than most for some years now. It is the development of better mid and forward play that has provided the most difference.

Said another way, if you are strong in your core competencies at work, you are good at what you do. If you add a skill set, you are already good at the former, but the addition of the latter makes you much stronger overall (and you better ask for a raise ;-))

I can see how it would read as a contradiction in my original post. Hopefully this adds a little finer point to what I meant.

thenoose
Freshman Team

Post by thenoose »

Yea Minfords defense has been pretty solid for about the past 3 or 4 years now, but isn't the topic of this thread "Best Defenders"??...what does the forwards and offense have to do with the defense??lol

ndc soccer
Freshman Team

Post by ndc soccer »

The forwards and mids have alot to do with the defense. The mids come back and help out while the forwards hold the ball and give the defense a bit of a break from time to time. I think what he was trying to say is that Minfords back line has always been solid in the past, but since the attackers developed thier game it's allowed the back line to become even more dominant because their receiving breaks from attacking spells and allowing them to win the 1v1 or 2v2 match ups.

Were not saying anything bad the defense it's that the offense has helped the defense out to become better. You move up as one, you come back as one.

pkp76
Waterboy

Post by pkp76 »

Athens returns four senior defensive starters from a D II District Championship team. All four received some level of All-District recognition. Three of them are large, all are fast, strong and one can jump over the net (OK, a small exageration). By the way, the younger keeper is a big, strong and agile kid who gained confindence and improved enormously last year to become extremely solid. In fact, I believe the keeper got some level of All-District recognition as well (not sure).

If Coach Thomas keeps these guys together for another year, I don't see many balls in the net against Athens. Time will tell.

run 4 fun
Waterboy

Post by run 4 fun »

The first game of the season will be athens vs. chillicothe. Will chillicothes' three match up well vs athens 4.

Chilli has a problem vs the flat back 4. But the cavs defense should be physical as well.

I vote cavaliers..

xb1srw2
Freshman Team

Post by xb1srw2 »

pkp76 wrote:Athens returns four senior defensive starters from a D II District Championship team. All four received some level of All-District recognition. Three of them are large, all are fast, strong and one can jump over the net (OK, a small exageration). By the way, the younger keeper is a big, strong and agile kid who gained confindence and improved enormously last year to become extremely solid. In fact, I believe the keeper got some level of All-District recognition as well (not sure).

If Coach Thomas keeps these guys together for another year, I don't see many balls in the net against Athens. Time will tell.

yes, Athens = rock solid defense
their mids cover so well that is is hard as Hades to expose the very few holes the D leaves

Return to “Soccer”