Waverly Varsity Soccer Coach Position

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Waverly Varsity Soccer Coach Position

Post by Tigereyez »

The Waverly Varsity Soccer Head Coach Position will be posted at Waverly High School on Tuesday, February 17, 2009.

soccerfix
Varsity

Re: Waverly Varsity Soccer Coach Position

Post by soccerfix »

Sounds like three non certified applicants for the job. Two locals and one next county away. Three good candidates, all would be a good fit for the talent that's coming back. Should inherit a SOC II championship team.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

By non-certified, do you mean non-teacher?

MarkWilliamson
Freshman Team

Post by MarkWilliamson »

PC, did you apply ?

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

Amvets - Yes, I did apply

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Non certified is a non teaching category. I have too much respect for all the candidates to infer that they're not qualified to coach.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

We know PC applied. Who are the other two candidates? I wonder how long before a decision is made.

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

So who are the three non-certificated teachers?
Last edited by Tigereyez on Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Does this mean that Boyer wants to coach or to teach the soccer team how to fly? Maybe they're four non certified teachers who wants this position.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

I personally hope that the school district does decide to look at the long-term future of the program as a deciding factor in their decision. It would also be a shame to give the position to an individual who does not possess the soccer expertise ,as either a player or a coach at a high level.

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

Good post soccerfix.
Last edited by Tigereyez on Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

I guess what Soccerfix is trying to say is what is Boyer's experience in Coaching Soccer?

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

Boyer has never been interested in the coaching position.
Last edited by Tigereyez on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

welcome to the world of high school sports. most contracts give staff first right of refusal. it can be problematic. a school in southern ohio had to survive such a transition.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Why argue over the definition of non certified? If you're not a certified teacher in the school system then you are non certified. The board needs to find the best coach for the job.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I agree with soccerfix. They need to find the best "coach" for the job whether they are a "certified" teacher in the system or not. Waverly needs to take it to the next level in soccer. Winning SOC championships is just the first goal among many. It would be nice to win a sectional or even a district championship, something the Tigers haven't been able to do with all the talent they've had in the past.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Waverly does have 1 sectional championship in 99. But you are correct, they have had the talent to have many more, unfortunatly they have ran into some great teams or simply had some games where they did not show up. I believe some of the teams with Purpero, Holmes, Williamson, Eversole, and Bevens had the potential to make state if they played to their potential.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I really should have said the past 5 years, socman. The players you mentioned are the main years I'm talking about. Waverly had the talent but for some reason they didn't put it together.

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

Didn't Waverly make back-to-back District semis in 2003 and 2004? Those were good seasons for Waverly and although some might have been disappointed in not making it to a district final or winning it... they were good seasons.

Waverly has a good program and ranks with the better programs in southern Ohio. With that said, from an outsider's viewpoint, if a district championship is going to come for them a couple of things the new coach is going to have to address...

1. Find a way to add a few opponents from outside the area. Yes, I know this is a really sore spot for Waverly and school policy on travel has a lot to do with this. I know it's also an issue that's been beaten to death on the message boards. This isn't meant as a knock on the SOC... teams like South Webster and Wheelersburg are top notch. However, it would be good for Waverly to get a view of bigger schools and different styles of play to help them come tournament time. When I saw Waverly during those 2003 and 2004 tourney runs, they really seemed to hit a wall against Athens and Jackson. Also, because of this strength of schedule is going to continue to be problem come seeding time. In such a competitive district, seeding is crucial. When only one big non-league game can be scheduled, like the Chillicothe game from last year, it puts even more pressure on the team and coach to get a big result.

2. Find a balance between attack and defense come tourney time... Waverly has had some potent attacking individuals and teams since 2003 (really when I first got to see them) but... in the games in which they were knocked out of the sectionals or districts they gave up an average of between 3-4 goals (including a 5-0 hammering from Jackson in 2004). When they find a balance of attack and defending in tough games, Waverly will be even more dangerous.

That's just my viewpoint of what I've seen of Waverly's program over the last few years. Not looking to insult anyone or cause trouble. Also not looking to slam Coach Murphy as especially the scheduling issue was usually out of his control. He maintained a strong program and good luck to the next coach in continuing it.

Return to “Soccer”