Fairland vs Portsmouth

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Re: Fairland vs Portsmouth

Post by Jussmypinion »

biggdowgg wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:53 pm I sit next to some fairland parents ,very nice respectful people good luck to fairland the rest of the year , except with our second match up.

I think it's unfair to the kids and coaches to say they wasn't interested, from where I sit it was a dog fight to the last tic on the clock,both teams were gassed at the end of the 4th qtr and still kept reaching down and fighting hard for this win, I seen some fairland players very upset after the game,how can you not be motivated to finally play the toughest team on your ovc schedule to protect a 40 some game winning streak??

Even one of the fairland parents sitting next to me said this is a good game for both teams to finally play some tough competition,some of these players from both teams play on the same AAU team,both teams know what they was coming into.

I give fairland a lot of credit,they are a very very good team, I'm definitely not taking anything away from the lady Trojans by saying fairland wasn't interested in this game.

And I still believe the second game will be just as good.

Just my opinion.

Great win lady Trojans and I'm hoping to win the OVC .

Not just share it!
I'm with you. It's easier for some people to say Fairland was uninterested in this game because they're used to winning, rather than to admit Portsmouth gave them the business and got it done. Portsmouth was up 10 at one point after half, a few missed shots and not stopping the drive on the baseline and Fairlands back within 4. Speaking of being used to winning, KeKe and Co. (The freshman class) have never lost to Fairland, or any other OVC team for that matter.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

As far as making adjustments, looked like Portsmouth had an answer for the Dragons. There again give Portsmouth Coach's credit for maki g adjustments to Fairlands adjustments. The tables was turned on Fairland and seems fans lost interest in losing one to a better team last nite. looked like Portsmouth's talent is as good and was better last nite.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Good win for PHS, congrats. Great defense.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

I’m glad to see PHS get the dub. Ik how hard coach Hugh’s has worked to get them ready for this moment.

Love to see SEDistrict reach their full potential

Keep your head down, eye on the prize and do the work necessary to achieve what you want

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I agree with biggdowgg and the other posters about Fairland being disinterested. Disinterested?

With 1st place in the OVC on the line? Disinterested?

Did anyone ask the Fairland girls if they were disinterested?

Did the Lady Dragons play disinterested against the other OVC schools, whom they have overwhelmed?

Why would this excuse be brought up to diminish the Lady Trojans accomplishment of beating a great Lady Dragons basketball team?

Disinterested? I'm not buying that at all.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

trojandave wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:30 am I agree with biggdowgg and the other posters about Fairland being disinterested. Disinterested?

Did the Lady Dragons play disinterested against the other OVC schools, whom they have overwhelmed?

Why would this excuse be brought up to diminish the Lady Trojans accomplishment of beating a great Lady Dragons basketball team?

Exactly. How can you be "disinterested" playing against your biggest conference threat? If that was in fact the case I'd say they'll be interested from here on out.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

packers80 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:22 pm
trojandave wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:30 am I agree with biggdowgg and the other posters about Fairland being disinterested. Disinterested?

Exactly. How can you be "disinterested" playing against your biggest conference threat? If that was in fact the case I'd say they'll be interested from here on out.
There’s no such thing as disinterested in high school sports. If you’re playing at the level those kids are, it’s about competition, and they will compete at all cost

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Since the Dragons were disinterested, maybe they will be interested in being in 2nd place in league and the best they can do since being disinterested is a tie for 1st. I guess the freshmen from Portsmouth made things disinteresting, since they got beat down floor time after time and there press was nil.So if the Dragons were disinterested against Portsmouth, what are they beating teams by 40-50 points a game!

Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

And some of you on here wonder why fans from different schools doesn’t want anything good to happen to the Trojans. Look at some of these comments made. These are high school girls. Portsmouth flat out played better, harder, more physical. Fairland was also outcoached. Portsmouth looked like the better team. Maybe they are, but wow!!! Look at these comments. Look at Will Robinson(an adult) on Facebook trolling high school players from Fairland. Look at your own kids on the team on Instagram cussing fairland players left and right. I’m sure I’ll get called racist. That’s the only comeback. Good luck to the Trojan HIGH SCHOOL KIDS. I hope you win it all in D3 and the Dragons in D2.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Not a fan of either team but I do watch boys and girls basketball. What I saw and discussed with a good friend who watched the game also. I thought Portsmouth outplayed and out hustled Fairland. Portsmouth girls wanted it more. They is just my opinion.

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

Jonjon wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:34 pm And some of you on here wonder why fans from different schools doesn’t want anything good to happen to the Trojans. Look at some of these comments made. These are high school girls. Portsmouth flat out played better, harder, more physical. Fairland was also outcoached. Portsmouth looked like the better team. Maybe they are, but wow!!! Look at these comments. Look at Will Robinson(an adult) on Facebook trolling high school players from Fairland. Look at your own kids on the team on Instagram cussing fairland players left and right. I’m sure I’ll get called racist. That’s the only comeback. Good luck to the Trojan HIGH SCHOOL KIDS. I hope you win it all in D3 and the Dragons in D2.
EVERYTHING you're crying about Portsmouth has been on the receiving end of for years and yet nothing is said, but now it's being given back it's a crime. Where were your concerns during football season when when the first meeting resulted in two of your players coming onto Portsmouth's sideline after shaking hands, flipping off exiting fans and attempting to steal two team water bottles and gear that was on the bench? Don't say it didn't happen, because I watched the AD chase after them as they ran towards their locker room with the towel and bottles. Cry me a river.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Jussmypinion wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:28 am
Jonjon wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:34 pm And some of you on here wonder why fans from different schools doesn’t want anything good to happen to the Trojans. Look at some of these comments made. These are high school girls. Portsmouth flat out played better, harder, more physical. Fairland was also outcoached. Portsmouth looked like the better team. Maybe they are, but wow!!! Look at these comments. Look at Will Robinson(an adult) on Facebook trolling high school players from Fairland. Look at your own kids on the team on Instagram cussing fairland players left and right. I’m sure I’ll get called racist. That’s the only comeback. Good luck to the Trojan HIGH SCHOOL KIDS. I hope you win it all in D3 and the Dragons in D2.
EVERYTHING you're crying about Portsmouth has been on the receiving end of for years and yet nothing is said, but now it's being given back it's a crime. Where were your concerns during football season when when the first meeting resulted in two of your players coming onto Portsmouth's sideline after shaking hands, flipping off exiting fans and attempting to steal two team water bottles and gear that was on the bench? Don't say it didn't happen, because I watched the AD chase after them as they ran towards their locker room with the towel and bottles. Cry me a river.
oh well that justifies it then :lol:

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Jonathan, you don’t mind if I call you that do you? Anyways I’m not going to call you a racist, I just think you’re being a cryass, kind of dumb but not racist, this time anyways.

Nascarfan
Waterboy

Post by Nascarfan »

Fairland was definitely not disinterested. Saying that is just an excuse as many have said. Portsmouth was just better Monday. This season -- and for the next three after that -- the Lady Trojans are going to have the bodies to really wear on people. Last year, they didn't have the numbers. You play this contest 10 times (five home, five away), it's probably a 5-5 or 6-4 split. Both units play really good styles of basketball.

To me, Woods has the most upside on Portsmouth's team which is saying a lot because it's a team full of great players in general who will play either basketball or another sport in college. She is a fantastic, high IQ talent who can run a team really well because she does a lot of the things that go unnoticed in a box score.

This allows Reid and Allen to thrive more as fantastic players themselves who can put the ball in the basket at a high and productive rate and do it as primary or secondary ballhandlers instead of doing it all as primary ballhandlers who have to create their own shot and set up for others. With their experience having to set the table though, they too, can do that.

You throw Carter, Cantrell, Cheatham, Mays and Shannon in the mix and you have eight players who can really beat you in a lot of different ways but who also know their roles. High-level basketball team that is really well-coached, and doesn't have to worry about depth issues as they did last year when it was six girls playing at most.

Corner3
Riding the Bench

Post by Corner3 »

To say Fairland was disinterested is laughable. Did they make some uncharacteristic mistakes? Absolutely, but Portsmouth also sped them up a little bit with their athleticism.
I thought Portsmouth’s defense was elite. They took away the primary looks on Fairlands “Chin” offense & didn’t give up any buckets on baseline out of bounds (did give up one on a sideout).

In the 2nd half the dragons pretty much went away from that & were strictly matchup hunting. Looking to attack Cantrell with Godby.
1 possession late sticks out in my mind from the final minute.
Fairland ran a re-screen action for Godby where she goes off the chin screen but then comes back to the top of the key off a double screen & Sienna Allen switched out & blew it up. She then blocked the shot but fairland got the oreb & hit Russell on a cross court pass & Woods made a ridiculous long closeout to take away the 3.

Great game by Portsmouth. Looking forward to rematch in a few weeks.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

What Fairland trying to prove after that score tonight 👎👎

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Fairland vs Ironton game. Leaving starters in when up 70

Corner3
Riding the Bench

Post by Corner3 »

Geronimo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:18 pm Fairland vs Ironton game. Leaving starters in when up 70
Yeah, not sure what the point of stealing the inbounds pass & scoring, after you just hit a 3 to go up 94-17 with 7 seconds left was. The old school in me says just empty the bench, run good offense, not shooting anything but a layup & get out of there injury free

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Agree

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

Corner3 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:26 pm
Geronimo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:18 pm Fairland vs Ironton game. Leaving starters in when up 70
Yeah, not sure what the point of stealing the inbounds pass & scoring, after you just hit a 3 to go up 94-17 with 7 seconds left was. The old school in me says just empty the bench, run good offense, not shooting anything but a layup & get out of there injury free
Disinterested in the Portsmouth game a few weeks back, but interested in an 80 point win against Ironton. I can't believe it. Up 70 and you're still interested in the game enough to leave your starters in? Laughable at best!

Return to “Girls Basketball”