2022-23 Fairland Lady Dragons (27-1 | 14-0 OVC)

Mc1196
Riding the Bench

Re: 2022-23 Fairland Lady Dragons (26-0 | 14-0 OVC)

Post by Mc1196 »

It's hard to believe they let private schools play with public schools private schools recruit don't care what they say

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

I talked to a retired coach from Pickerington when the Fairland boys made it to the Final Four in 17' ? , he was very complimentary of Fairland making it that far , especially after I told him Fairland was a public school , he couldnt believe it . He told me at the end of every season , coaches try to get the best players to come to their school , kind of like the transfer portal is now , by any means they can think of , cash , jobs for the parents etc. He said that it really isnt fair the way the tourney is set up , he feels there should be a private school tourney AND a public one . He told me that unfortunately , it will never happen . Public school coaches in the state complain about it and have for years but the state keeps shooting the idea down. He mentioned AAU being to much involved with decision making also . If Fairland makes it to the Final Four and loses to a private school , Im all for hanging a banner reading , 2022-23 PUBLIC SCHOOL STATE CHAMPIONS .

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Private schools won 3 of the available 8 state titles last season.
Boys D-II
Girls D-II & D-III

Post by bbjunky81 »

Yeah, I think we're overthinking the whole private thing a bit here. Let the girls play, who knows if they'll even run into Purcell Marian. Lets not forget that Fairland's boys program has been on the winning side of transfers WAY MORE THAN they've lost kids, so bashing private schools seems a little strange here.

Fairland girls team this year is one of the, if not the best SEO girls team I've seen. They do every single thing well. It wouldn't shock me if they win it all this year and next.
Last edited by bbjunky81 on Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:25 am Yeah, I think we're overthinking the whole private thing a bit here. Let the girls play, who knows if they'll even run into Purcell Marian. Lets not forget that Fairland's boys program has been on the winning side of transfers WAY MORE THAN they've lost kids, so bashing private schools seems a little strange here.

Fairland girls team this year is one of the, if not the best SEO girls team I've seen. They do every single thing well. The scary part is, they don't even start a single senior. Wow. It wouldn't shock me if they win it all this year and next.
Fairland starts 2 seniors, 2 juniors and a sophomore. 3 freshmen off the bench.

Post by bbjunky81 »

My apologies, for some reason I was thinking it was no seniors. Fixed!

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:25 am Yeah, I think we're overthinking the whole private thing a bit here. Let the girls play, who knows if they'll even run into Purcell Marian. Lets not forget that Fairland's boys program has been on the winning side of transfers WAY MORE THAN they've lost kids, so bashing private schools seems a little strange here.

Fairland girls team this year is one of the, if not the best SEO girls team I've seen. They do every single thing well. It wouldn't shock me if they win it all this year and next.
Fairland boys and transfers ? . I helped coach just about everyone on the Final Four team when they were in buddy league ,so if youre counting transferring to a school when you just learned how to ride a bike , I guess thats a possibilty .

Fairland girls may win it all this year but next year , Portsmouth begins their four year undefeated state title reign.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

84Dragon wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:05 am I talked to a retired coach from Pickerington when the Fairland boys made it to the Final Four in 17' ? , he was very complimentary of Fairland making it that far , especially after I told him Fairland was a public school , he couldnt believe it . He told me at the end of every season , coaches try to get the best players to come to their school , kind of like the transfer portal is now , by any means they can think of , cash , jobs for the parents etc. He said that it really isnt fair the way the tourney is set up , he feels there should be a private school tourney AND a public one . He told me that unfortunately , it will never happen . Public school coaches in the state complain about it and have for years but the state keeps shooting the idea down. He mentioned AAU being to much involved with decision making also . If Fairland makes it to the Final Four and loses to a private school , Im all for hanging a banner reading , 2022-23 PUBLIC SCHOOL STATE CHAMPIONS .
Waverly Boys was the only D2 PUBLIC School in the Final 4 last year.... We said we were the D2 Public Schools State Champion.
It really is stacked against the publics.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Good luck to the Lady Dragons in the regional final. 26-0 is a rare feat, something very hard to achieve.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

84Dragon wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:17 am

Fairland boys and transfers ? . I helped coach just about everyone on the Final Four team when they were in buddy league ,so if youre counting transferring to a school when you just learned how to ride a bike , I guess thats a possibilty .

Fairland girls may win it all this year but next year , Portsmouth begins their four year undefeated state title reign.
The Howell kid that moved in from Gallia learned to ride a bike in 8th grade? That's strange.

Fairland girls are D2 and Portsmouth is comfortably D3. Unless Fairland anticipates dropping a division, that won't be a concern.

Mc1196
Riding the Bench

Post by Mc1196 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:55 pm

The Howell kid that moved in from Gallia learned to ride a bike in 8th grade? That's strange.

Fairland girls are D2 and Portsmouth is comfortably D3. Unless Fairland anticipates dropping a division, that won't be a concern.
Your saying the Howell kid is because Fairland boys had that run he wouldn't have even started if I was coach

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Portsmouth kids and coaches will have to learn some discipline if they are going to do anything

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Re: 2022-23 Fairland Lady Dragons (27-0 | 14-0 OVC)

Post by 84Dragon »

Granville tried slowing it down , it worked a little but the Dragons were to much , even in the slow down game. On to the Final Four

Mc1196
Riding the Bench

Post by Mc1196 »

Glad The girls got that out of there system they looked terrible last night you cannot play like that and expect to win these next two clean up the dumb turnovers and the number 32 she got mad defense

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Fairland Lady Dragons on their regional championship and Final 4 appearance. Looking at their scores for the season, only 1 game decided by less than 10 points (Russell, KY 54-51). Other than that, the Lady Dragons haven't really been challenged, even in the tournament.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

:!:
84Dragon wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:05 am I talked to a retired coach from Pickerington when the Fairland boys made it to the Final Four in 17' ? , he was very complimentary of Fairland making it that far , especially after I told him Fairland was a public school , he couldnt believe it . He told me at the end of every season , coaches try to get the best players to come to their school , kind of like the transfer portal is now , by any means they can think of , cash , jobs for the parents etc. He said that it really isnt fair the way the tourney is set up , he feels there should be a private school tourney AND a public one . He told me that unfortunately , it will never happen . Public school coaches in the state complain about it and have for years but the state keeps shooting the idea down. He mentioned AAU being to much involved with decision making also . If Fairland makes it to the Final Four and loses to a private school , Im all for hanging a banner reading , 2022-23 PUBLIC SCHOOL STATE CHAMPIONS .
A coach from Pickerington talking about others recruiting, that’s priceless 🤣

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:08 pm :!:
84Dragon wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:05 am .
A coach from Pickerington talking about others recruiting, that’s priceless 🤣
Yes , I have to agree with that. I guess it might be a little harder for publics to "recruit" but the bigger schools manage just fine .

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Please take your boys basketball recruiting spat out of my "Fairland Lady Dragons" thread.

Post by BBALLBABE32 »

Agreed

Return to “Girls Basketball”