Ironton
Gallia
Coal Grove
South Point

Prime Time
All State

Re: OVC predictions

Post by Prime Time »

Doesnt Portsmouth have quite a few Div 1 recruits. I would think they would be predicted in first place.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Heard that they had some good talent.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

My understanding is Portsmouth just got a big girl transfer in from Minford , this team should be fun to watch probably at least two D1 on the varsity maybe one more ,then the girl in 8th grade is already getting attention also from Ohio State I think?

Just that alone don't win games though ,still have to perform,and I think they have to right coach to get that out of them

BBALLBABE32
Waterboy

Post by BBALLBABE32 »

Must be some Freshman group at Portsmouth. Fairland lost by a point in elite 8 last year. Won the conference last year, pretty sure they didn’t lose a game, and have every starter back. Also, have 3 freshman who aren’t bad. Not saying Portsmouth can’t get it done…..but they have their work cut out for them.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Did the Trojans girls only have 8 players at the preview? Is that all they have?

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Bengalsrule
Waterboy

Post by Bengalsrule »

(13-0) Fairland
(12-1) Rock Hill
(8-4) Portsmouth
(7-6) Chesapeake
(5-7) South Point
(3-10) Coal Grove
(3-10) Ironton
(0-13) Gallia Academy

Wasn't too far off lol
Fairland
Rock Hill
Portsmouth
Chesapeake
Ironton
Gallia
Coal Grove
South Point

Mc1196
Riding the Bench

Post by Mc1196 »

Not trying to sound mean but seen Portsmouth play and they definitely DO NOT have any D1 orD2 players on the team and the tall girl was absolutely gassed by mid 2nd quarter

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Mc1196 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:18 pm Not trying to sound mean but seen Portsmouth play and they definitely DO NOT have any D1 orD2 players on the team and the tall girl was absolutely gassed by mid 2nd quarter
Don’t know what games you watched, but you need to remember most of the varsity girls are freshmen or sophomores.

"I have a deep affection for the University of Pittsburgh.It is my University.I am proud to be a Pitt man.”-Jock Sutherland
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Mc1196: Sienna Allen is a freshmen wing player and she will be playing college basketball when her career is over at PHS. Daysha Reid is a sophomore PG and she too will be playing college ball after high school. Savannah Cantrell is the tall girl you're referring to, and she is only a sophomore. Portsmouth is 3rd in the OVC with Allen and Reid as their 2 best players. Cantrell is not as far along as Allen and Reid, but she has 2 more years to develop into a good post player. With her size, some colleges will show interest.

They (Allen and Reid) are already very good, and they have several years left to become even better......and they do put in the time to get better. I've seen it myself in the off season. Both have a high ceiling.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Bengalsrule: Great predictions. Very hard to be that accurate when the season plays out. Top 4 exactly right.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Portsmouth Junior High girls are going for their 2nd consecutive undefeated season as they defeated Rock Hill in the OVC tournament semifinals. They play Wednesday at Rock Hill HS the winner of the other semifinal between Gallia Academy and Fairland.

Coach Mike Hughes has worked wonders with this team which only has 6 players.

Portsmouth girls basketball is good this year, and the program is on a huge upswing. The best is yet to come.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

trojandave wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:35 pm The Portsmouth Junior High girls are going for their 2nd consecutive undefeated season as they defeated Rock Hill in the OVC tournament semifinals. They play Wednesday at Rock Hill HS the winner of the other semifinal between Gallia Academy and Fairland.

Coach Mike Hughes has worked wonders with this team which only has 6 players.

Portsmouth girls basketball is good this year, and the program is on a huge upswing. The best is yet to come.
Winning at that level with only six players is amazing.

"I have a deep affection for the University of Pittsburgh.It is my University.I am proud to be a Pitt man.”-Jock Sutherland
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Mc1196 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:18 pm Not trying to sound mean but seen Portsmouth play and they definitely DO NOT have any D1 orD2 players on the team and the tall girl was absolutely gassed by mid 2nd quarter
You don’t sound mean, you sound dumb. Suppose you know more about basketball than the 2 D1 schools that have offered Allen a scholarship already? Richmond & Dayton if you’re curious.

Mc1196
Riding the Bench

Post by Mc1196 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:21 pm
You don’t sound mean, you sound dumb. Suppose you know more about basketball than the 2 D1 schools that have offered Allen a scholarship already? Richmond & Dayton if you’re curious.
Really the other post said they were freshman and sophomore and it is illegal to offer a scholarship before August 1st of there junior year I'm not saying they won't play after high school but when you have "your words" 2 maybe 3 D1 players you don't finish 3rd in your conference but the two gaurds are definitely good players and the other girl will be good but needs work I'm a high school sports fan cause kids play hard good luck in playoffs I will be cheering for your school but will be watching Fairland

Return to “Girls Basketball”