Zane Trace Sectional

MSL_Fan
Waterboy

Zane Trace Sectional

Post by MSL_Fan »

Thoughts on potential seeding as we draw closer to tourney time?....appears to be several competitive teams in this sectional this season....as of now I'd go....

Jackson
Miami Trace
Unioto
Circleville
Washington CH
Chillicothe
Hillsboro
Waverly
Logan Elm

Any chance someone can knock off Jackson or Trace and advance to the District???

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Zane Trace Sectional

Post by Ironman92 »

MSL_Fan wrote:Thoughts on potential seeding as we draw closer to tourney time?....appears to be several competitive teams in this sectional this season....as of now I'd go....

Jackson
Miami Trace
Unioto
Circleville
Washington CH
Chillicothe
Hillsboro
Waverly
Logan Elm

Any chance someone can knock off Jackson or Trace and advance to the District???
Do only 2 get out to districts this year?

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

That is correct.

Zane Trace had 9 teams last year. Westfall and McClain went to D3 this year while Chilli came in from D1, and Jackson moved there from Meigs. So there are still 9.

Meigs had 10 teams last year. Marietta went to D1, South Point to D3, Jackson to Zane trace, and Zane Trace came in from D3 to make 8 teams.

So now only one district champ. So why is ZT hosting D2 girls tourney games on the same dates and times(Feb 12, 13, 15) that the Zane Trace girls probably will be playing at Meigs?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Well....MT only has 1 loss and 4 SCOL teams could weigh heavy in jumping Jackson for the #1 seed.

The #1 will avoid Athens a round further and have an easier advance to district as IMO Unioto is a good bit better than the #4 seed and probably very formidable for MT if they were to face as the #2/#3

Jackson is 13-1 with an impressive schedule.

WINS
@Fairland
@Minford
@Logan
@Fairfield Union
Westfall (neutral court)

Also beat Warren Local,Greenfield McClain, Wellston, Meigs, Gallia Academy, Portsmouth, Vinton County

Lost to Eastern Meigs

Still have to play Huntington St Joe (WV State Champ with 4 all-state players....1 to Notre Dame, just beat Africentric) and play Athens

Does MT play CM before the draw?

Falcon Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Falcon Fan »

Amazing what a difference a year can make. Last year the South part of the District was loaded with three of the 4 participants in the 2 District Championship Games coming from the south. This year I think the North District is tougher. Jackson and Miami Trace have to be the favorites but Unioto, Circleville, Chillicothe, and Washington CH can play to. I agree with I92 definitely a big difference between being a 1 or 2 seed should be interesting to see what happens.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Everything is going to be action-packed from the get go.....seriously the district semi could very well be Jackson vs Athens....that would be a joke, but if the coaches deem Jackson #2 behind MT, nothing can be done but play the game.

MT is very good also and has played some tough teams....but also lost to Clinton Massie by 20...like Jackson they also defeated Vinton Co, Greenfield McClain and Westfall. OT win over Chilly but Chilly lost to Athens by 40.

BannersnRafters
Riding the Bench

Post by BannersnRafters »

ironman...ive seen it happen (Marietta vs. Warren Sectional '13) and harped on this subject in past few yrs.; i'm always clueless to the goings on of who goes to what div. and what sectional/district every year; it obviously changes matchups of when and where teams meet for play; i understand schools change sizes, etc. but it just seems to fluctuate so much yr. to yr. in OH; then you throw on top of all that the "horse trader" seeding process as it's been mentioned to me in passed and it just seems like a complete mess; but then the question becomes "what's the alternative?" and i'm not sure there is a complete, full-proof system out there, always interesting to say the least

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Super sectional would be fairer

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

BannersnRafters wrote:ironman...ive seen it happen (Marietta vs. Warren Sectional '13) and harped on this subject in past few yrs.; i'm always clueless to the goings on of who goes to what div. and what sectional/district every year; it obviously changes matchups of when and where teams meet for play; i understand schools change sizes, etc. but it just seems to fluctuate so much yr. to yr. in OH; then you throw on top of all that the "horse trader" seeding process as it's been mentioned to me in passed and it just seems like a complete mess; but then the question becomes "what's the alternative?" and i'm not sure there is a complete, full-proof system out there, always interesting to say the least

How do you complain about the Marietta and Warren seeds last year? The top 3 seeds had 3 total losses, where did you see either Warren or Marietta? Surely you are not going to say either should have been seeded over any of them?

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Many very good teams and very good coached teams ever get to the districts from this Sectional.Tough one to get out of for sure...

BannersnRafters
Riding the Bench

Polpot...I sense a pattern developing here, I post then you rebuttal constantly; just curious as to where your allegiance lies in SEO? I make no secrets of who I cheer for but can admit when the better team wins

Regarding your question, one could argue in favor of STRONG Marietta and Warren teams that were Sweet-16 qualifiers the previous yr. with little turnover of players on their rosters and that both had drastically tougher SOS's than most in the draw; Marietta moved to a stronger ECOL and Warren ramped up their schedule much like Jackson has done this yr. with a senior-dominated team (kudos btw Jackson on that); arguably, Warren did beat #1 seed Jackson last yr. (with close loss on road too) resulting in co-SEOAL champs and Athens refused to reschedule their matchup which would have given more clarity; Marietta's losses were mostly during the time Dawson was injured and still had a very good record as well; And just in case you didn't notice, Warren added Fairfield and made sure Athens rescheduled (fyi before the draw) this year; that there in lies the problem of the "horse trade" seeding, the primary factor being wins and losses when teams don't nearly play the same regular season schedules, SOS seems to be disregarded; most realistic bball followers would agree that pairing the two against one another in the sectional last yr. based on the seeding process would eliminate one of the "threats" to other teams looking to get through; let's not kid ourselves that coaches aren't aware of this during the seeding process, as Ironman92 has already pointed out, Jackson may run into the same issue this yr. having played a tougher regular season SOS, again boiling down to their record and MT's record disregarding their SOS's; something doesn't add up there, giving the coaches so much control of seeding and who plays who when and where in the brackets seems flawed, and spare me the "just win" motto, "stacking the deck" in the brackets has its obvious advantages for teams who play through "cupcake city" vs a team that plays quality teams throughout the tourney

Ironma92- not sure i follow you on a Super Sectional? You mean place all in one bracket seeding-wise and play vs the current format of cross-sectional play?

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

It's not a totally fair world and unless you want some kind of ranking, like football, I don't see how you settle the arguments except on the court. Regarding last year's sectional---3 beats 1 in a close one in the District final and loses to 2 in a dandy Regional Semi. Hard to argue with those results----seemed like the seeding was fair.

I don't think the strength of schedule is a perfect tool for measurement-----what's a team's record on the road as compared to home? Unless you play on a neural court there will always be room for someone to quibble.

I don't think anybody wants to go back to the "Pill" method so, what we have now isn't perfect but it might be the best.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

You are not being honest with yourself. Two years ago when Jackson had the better record, both Warren and Marietta were rewarded for their success based on the strength of schedule and took the 1 and 2 seeds ovary Jackson team with a better record. However last year both Warren and Marietta hung around .500 and in Warrens case had a very poor record away from their cozy confines. I know you think it was a setup, however the body of work all season, Warren and Marietta had no one to blame but themselves, and the teams behind them were based on record and SOS, were not worth of being above either school. But I continually find it funny that you want to bash coaches for being "dishonest" and manipulating a system but refuse to give credit when things worked out for you the year before.

And your comment about based on going to the Regionals the year before, that had no bearing on the next year, nor should it.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

Pol Pot wrote:You are not being honest with yourself. Two years ago when Jackson had the better record, both Warren and Marietta were rewarded for their success based on the strength of schedule and took the 1 and 2 seeds ovary Jackson team with a better record. However last year both Warren and Marietta hung around .500 and in Warrens case had a very poor record away from their cozy confines. I know you think it was a setup, however the body of work all season, Warren and Marietta had no one to blame but themselves, and the teams behind them were based on record and SOS, were not worth of being above either school. But I continually find it funny that you want to bash coaches for being "dishonest" and manipulating a system but refuse to give credit when things worked out for you the year before.

And your comment about based on going to the Regionals the year before, that had no bearing on the next year, nor should it.
Are you referring to the year where Warren beat Jackson twice and Marietta beat warren 3 times but yet Jackson and friends tried to vote them a one seed because they had a good record? That meeting was amusing

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

What was the final seeding? My point is Jackson went in with the best record but came out a #3, Marietta and Warren went 1-2, what's unfair about that? Falcon fan, are you really going to agree that a 10 win Warren deserved to be seeded over FU last season? That was a tough year to be in that sectional, didn't 4 teams win over 15 games (20 game schedule), yet now this one guy wants to talk about how unfair things are because a 10 win team wasn't #1 last year.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Pol Pot wrote:What was the final seeding? My point is Jackson went in with the best record but came out a #3, Marietta and Warren went 1-2, what's unfair about that? Falcon fan, are you really going to agree that a 10 win Warren deserved to be seeded over FU last season? That was a tough year to be in that sectional, didn't 4 teams win over 15 games (20 game schedule), yet now this one guy wants to talk about how unfair things are because a 10 win team wasn't #1 last year.
I am not saying that. I am saying politics go along way in those meetings. Until you can put your name on a line it is setup for the good ole boys to decide whatever they want. Jackson had a good record but lost to a Warren team (Warren won their league and Jackson was a member) and then of the 5 losses Warren had 3 were to Marietta. That did not stop the good ole boys from trying to pull off a power play. The Jackson coaches and a couple of others voted Jackson #1 seed. How do you vote yourself ahead of a team that won your league and beat you twice. I believe both Marietta and Warren advanced to the regional that year.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Both did go to the Regionals, and if you read above, banners says that since both went to the Regionals that year they should have taken that .500 record and been seeded over FU or Jackson last year. At the end of the day the right thing was done two years ago and last year as well. Yet he still wants to beat that dead animal.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Pol Pot wrote:Both did go to the Regionals, and if you read above, banners says that since both went to the Regionals that year they should have taken that .500 record and been seeded over FU or Jackson last year. At the end of the day the right thing was done two years ago and last year as well. Yet he still wants to beat that dead animal.
I agree it worked out but I can tell you they do not take into account SOS in this voting or All District voting. Not sure if that was his/her point but one I will make.

BannersnRafters
Riding the Bench

That was my point, play tougher schedule yet reward is lower seeding and tougher road based on W-L record; something wrong with that

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I don't think SOS is the total answer either----again what was the home and away record?---Did the team you beat have players missing?-- This year's Jackson and last year's Marietta teams come to mind. If each team had a home and away with every other team in the Sectional you could then use that for the seeding, but let's say team A won 6 at home and lost 3 away----are they better than the team that won 5 on the road and lost 4 at home---home cooking will come into play.

The cream will rise---if you get a poor seed, "Just Win Baby".

Return to “Girls Basketball”