Eastern 83, Wahama 4

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Eastern 83, Wahama 4

Post by 93Bulldog »

I just want to congratulate the Lady White Falcons for braving the elements (COLD) and traveling to Reedsville to play this game Monday.

Anyone else in southeastern Ohio even attempt to play tonight?

hardfowl
All State

Re: Eastern 83, Wahama 4

Post by hardfowl »

4 Is that correct?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

That is what I was sent via a text, Hardfowl.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Fayetteville 30
Whiteoak 7

End of 1

Would love to see an Eastern/Fayetteville Final 4 matchup. I think Eastern is 10 points better but it would be a fun game.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Fayetteville won 109-27

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote:Fayetteville won 109-27
That is just nuts ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

It is.

It's their 3rd time over 100 this year. They scored 114 in 1 game.

I think Eastern would beat them by 10-15 points. Eastern's defense is so good.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Eastern could have scored 100+ in a bunch of their games but they prefer not to run the score up. They score 83 and they pass up lay up after layup to let the other team get back on defense.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Super Trooper wrote:Eastern could have scored 100+ in a bunch of their games but they prefer not to run the score up. They score 83 and they pass up lay up after layup to let the other team get back on defense.

Anyone that has seen Eastern knows this.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

After watching Athens and Eastern play at the preview, id love to see that match up

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

It would be a good watch but I think Eastern takes them by double digits.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Complete disgrace

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Complete disgrace?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

it is possible Eastern only has 8-9 on their roster and those 8-9 are excellent players ? I know that score looks HORRID but assuming they didnt press any at all in qrts 2-3-4 its not like Eastern can actually put the ball in the basket for the opposing team . Maybe Wahama had one of those nights where nothing goes in ? I wasnt there , maybe Eastern ran it up and pressed ? would be nice to hear from someone who saw it .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ManitouDan wrote:it is possible Eastern only has 8-9 on their roster and those 8-9 are excellent players ? I know that score looks HORRID but assuming they didnt press any at all in qrts 2-3-4 its not like Eastern can actually put the ball in the basket for the opposing team . Maybe Wahama had one of those nights where nothing goes in ? I wasnt there , maybe Eastern ran it up and pressed ? would be nice to hear from someone who saw it .
They obviously pride themselves on their defense. Offensively it's easy to see by their halftime scores that they are pulling them back....but they are defending all 32 minutes and they should. Playing defense at 100% is not poor sportsmanship at all.

58-4 wouldn't feel any different.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I haven't saw Eastern press all year long. They dress 10 now I believe. They play offense 100% in the first half of every game, the second half is almost comical at how slow they play. Anyone who thinks Eastern embarrasses their opponent in any way has not seen them play. Ask any coach that they have beaten this year and they will in no way tell you that Eastern has ran the score up on them. Now believe me when I say this, Eastern most likely could have won 150-0 yesterday, I'm not saying that to disrespect Wahama, but that's just the reality of the situation, so 83-4 isn't that big of a deal.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

The Oaf wrote:Complete disgrace
Oaf buddy, I could not disagree with you more than I'm going to here. All of the other comments in this thread are correct. I will guarantee you that the outcome of this game was significantly mitigated by Coach Burdette dialing things back significantly on offense after two quarters. Reedsville Eastern's girls program is a class program and does everything within its control to not humiliate an opponent.

A few years back we had two other TVC girls teams that played and the outcome was something like 114 - 17, or somewhere close. I started a thread criticizing the winning coach because of his style of play and unwillingness to back off and run up the score. The ensuing backlash on here was amazing, people were calling the school board, administrators wanting this coach's head. That was never my intent when I spoke out, it turned into a crusade, which was kind of scary. Coach didn't lose his job, but you could see some change in tactics against overmatched opponents after that.

That is not the case here, at all. I fully expect to see this team in the D IV Girls final this year at the Schott. Go watch them there and then tell me they are a disgrace.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Steely Dan wrote:
Oaf buddy, I could not disagree with you more than I'm going to here. All of the other comments in this thread are correct. I will guarantee you that the outcome of this game was significantly mitigated by Coach Burdette dialing things back significantly on offense after two quarters. Reedsville Eastern's girls program is a class program and does everything within its control to not humiliate an opponent.

A few years back we had two other TVC girls teams that played and the outcome was something like 114 - 17, or somewhere close. I started a thread criticizing the winning coach because of his style of play and unwillingness to back off and run up the score. The ensuing backlash on here was amazing, people were calling the school board, administrators wanting this coach's head. That was never my intent when I spoke out, it turned into a crusade, which was kind of scary. Coach didn't lose his job, but you could see some change in tactics against overmatched opponents after that.

That is not the case here, at all. I fully expect to see this team in the D IV Girls final this year at the Schott. Go watch them there and then tell me they are a disgrace.
No criticism of Eastern here. Sounds like they made every effort to back off and not run up the score. Good for them.

But for the coach who "refused to back off" and won 114-17 I have no respect at all. That's uncalled for and just plain poor sportsmanship in just about everyones book. It's hard to believe anyone would try to justify that outcome. The only thing I find scary would have been if no one complained.

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

The final score in question was 110-14 and it was in the 2009-10 season.

It was also one bad night in an otherwise stellar career. We've all moved on, and my respect for the program in question is as high now as it was before then.

Eastern didn't press and doesn't press. Don't have enough depth to play 94 feet for 32 minutes. They usually go 8-9 deep, but all 10 players that suited up last night scored. It's also the 7th or 8th time this year that they've held an opponent scoreless in a quarter.

Eastern's 2 leading scorers combined for 6 points in the second half, and 7 eagles outscored wahama individually. Eastern has never scored 100 points with this group, and they won't. They'd prefer to shut a team out than reach triple digits.

Wahama also possesses a 1k scorer on its current roster, which means there is some firepower on that squad.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Steely Dan wrote:

That's fine and dandy Steely but sounds like they could have let off the gas after 2 minutes instead of 2 quarters and still won by 30+ I wasn't calling the team a disgrace, I was referring to the final score. I think that's perfectly obvious to anyone who read my comment, or certainly should be. No shot clock in HS. Sorry, just don't understand the life lesson being taught in a game with this kind of outcome. Did everything in their power not to humiliate their opponent huh? 83-4, they did a fantastic job at that. Steely we agree on 99.9% both publicly and in PM's, but I'm at a loss here my friend. I assure you if I was the coach in a 32 minute game I could have found a way not to win by 79 points. Well by all means, with this kind of squad winning the State should be no problem and I sure hope they do! Good luck!

Return to “Girls Basketball”