Post by Softball 7 »

Athens will take on Miami Trace
Sheridan will play Jackson

What are thoughts on games?

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Re: Division II Districts at Southeastern

Post by footballfanatic1 »

WOW. 4 very good teams. That's why I love tournament time.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Athens should handle MT but MT can really play defense. Doseck should be too much. Athens by 10

Sheridan gave VC problems with the press early on causing 3 consecutive turnovers and they also have a good tall girl. I always hate playing the northern SE district teams as they are a bit of an unknown. Jackson is on a mission. They avoid foul trouble and take care of the ball and they should advance....but a dangerous opponent!

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

Very true. I do expect the Athens and Trace game to be close. If Abby # 24 for Trace has a big game they could win.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Anyone down at the Zane Trace sectional happen to still have a program?

I need Miami Trace roster?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote:Anyone down at the Zane Trace sectional happen to still have a program?

I need Miami Trace roster?
Mray might be able to help you.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VCROCKS wrote:Very true. I do expect the Athens and Trace game to be close. If Abby # 24 for Trace has a big game they could win.
Miami Trace added a weapon on the bench as an assistant coach in 500+ win Dennis Overstake....he 'll be a big asset in devising a defense to give MT a shooter's chance.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote:
VCROCKS wrote:Very true. I do expect the Athens and Trace game to be close. If Abby # 24 for Trace has a big game they could win.
Miami Trace added a weapon on the bench as an assistant coach in 500+ win Dennis Overstake....he 'll be a big asset in devising a defense to give MT a shooter's chance.
Athens did the same with coach Jeff Marshal, who was on the OU women's staff last year. He also spent some time at Louisville and was on the bench when the Cardinals upset UCONN in the NCAA tournament.

Not a bad guy to have around I must say.

And lets not forget Horsley has coach Fortney on the bench as well. It's hard to tell how many wins that guy has racked up over the years as a coach in various sports with different schools/teams.

I'm not sure I would trade that trio for anyone - they seem to compliment each other perfectly, and each one brings something different to the table.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

This thread is enlightening as any on bench coaches.

Softball 7
Riding the Bench

Post by Softball 7 »

If we're going to talk about assistant coaches then we must pay attention to two important factors.
Sheridan has assistant Coach JD Walters on the staff which means conditioning will be in favor of the generals at all times. Coach Walters not only runs a lot but also is the cross country coach at Sheridan.
The next factor is Coach Fortney of Athens and his discipline approach. Athens will play with class and discipline at all times.

Sportslover
Waterboy

Post by Sportslover »

I think that the Jackson VS Sheridan game is very interesting. I know very little about Sheridan. Have they always been in the district? Jackson's physical play and size should be the difference in the end. Trace and Athens will be a great game as well. They both have good guards and Athens has a great guard! The question is can trace hold her under 20? Athens is the real deal. Horsley does a great job.

Softball 7
Riding the Bench

Post by Softball 7 »

Sheridan has nice size as well and play extremely hard. Comparing scores would get one to look at Jackson vs Fairfield Union and what vinton did to fairfield union

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Softball7 wrote:Sheridan has nice size as well and play extremely hard. Comparing scores would get one to look at Jackson vs Fairfield Union and what vinton did to fairfield union

Null and void.

Jackson played without Lydia Poe and played a big league game vs Warren on a Friday night and then left early Sat morning for the 1 hr 30 min trip....plus Jackson also beat VC.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Dog, shoot me your e-mail and I'll scan the MT roster and send it to you.

Two pretty interesting games. Athens definitely has the best player on the floor, but Trace plays very good team defense and Schwenk is a nice player for them. A steady team.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:93Dog, shoot me your e-mail and I'll scan the MT roster and send it to you.

Two pretty interesting games. Athens definitely has the best player on the floor, but Trace plays very good team defense and Schwenk is a nice player for them. A steady team.
trivalleyconference@yahoo.com

THANKS!!!!

Falcon Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Falcon Fan »

Should be two good games. Sheridan should be an interesting match up with Jackson. They have a big girl to match up with Poe and some quickness that could cause some problems but I still like Jackson by 7-10.

Athens and Miami Trace has the potential to be a classic. Miami Trace is so good defensively but Athens is pretty strong defensively too. I think Athens has a few more weapons offensively and holds on by 3-5.

Speaking of assistant coaches the unsung hero maybe Athens strength coach, their whole team is very physical and strong.

Should be a great District Tournament good luck to all

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Falcon Fan wrote:Should be two good games. Sheridan should be an interesting match up with Jackson. They have a big girl to match up with Poe and some quickness that could cause some problems but I still like Jackson by 7-10.

Athens and Miami Trace has the potential to be a classic. Miami Trace is so good defensively but Athens is pretty strong defensively too. I think Athens has a few more weapons offensively and holds on by 3-5.

Speaking of assistant coaches the unsung hero maybe Athens strength coach, their whole team is very physical and strong.

Should be a great District Tournament good luck to all
I'd be surprised if any two players are stronger than Poe and Jenkins. Doseck is a very strong guard.

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

MT has to hit outside shots to stay in the game because I'm sure Athens gameplan will be to put a fence around Schwenk (#24) inside. Ashley Henry (#3) and Arianna Mabra (#22) have to make shots because they are usually the ones left open by teams when they play MT. Both lose confidence and stop shooting when they're not hitting, especially Mabra. she was open all day vs Unioto and didn't shoot after she missed her first 3. I think the gameplan for both coaches will be pretty simple: Athens will try to take away Schwenk inside and MT will try to limit Doseck's opportunities. MT needs to get on the offensive boards like they did Sat., I think they had around 15 or 16 offensive rebounds which helped a lot on those missed shots.

Sportslover
Waterboy

Post by Sportslover »

Athens will let Mabra and Henry shoot the ball. They are both capable shooters who are capable of hitting perimeter shots.. Will be interesting to see how these coaches game plan for one another. Athens has a lot of weapons and I believe Trace knows there more than a one girl team! Trace is not Warren, they respect Athens and I'm sure they know they have their hands full on Thursday!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

We will be carrying this game live on 970WATH ... or ... 970wath.com

Return to “Girls Basketball”