Rules question...

Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

Rules question...

Post by Ryanexpress »

Team A is taking the ball out of bounds on the baseline. Lady taking the ball out of bounds extends the ball out over in bounds line [still having the ball in her hands]. Team B grabs the ball...Both ladies have a hold of the ball [tie up]...What is the ruling?
Can you have a jump ball with Team A standing out of bounds?
Is the ball awarded to team B since team A is standing out of bounds?

hiabuckeye
Freshman Team

Re: Rules question...

Post by hiabuckeye »

Yes, Jump ball.

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

No jump ball

playtowin
Freshman Team

Post by playtowin »

Which is it. I say held ball.

BASKET_WEAVER8675309
Waterboy

Post by BASKET_WEAVER8675309 »

I would think if the girl is out of bounds wouldnt that make her ineligible to tie up the ball?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Bs ball

Ryanexpress
Varsity

Post by Ryanexpress »

I have yet to find this situation in the case book....But in speaking with two veteran officials who both teach the officiating class, they both tell me that this is a jump ball.

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

There is no way possible this would be a jump ball

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

IMO: Ball not in play. Warning to defense reaching across line.

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

md2020 wrote:IMO: Ball not in play. Warning to defense reaching across line.
I agree...

Amarranavajas
Freshman Team

Post by Amarranavajas »

I can't believe with the knowledge of all the officiating experts on here who sit in the stands at local games and scream at the horrible officials on the floor we can't even get an answer to this question. Where are all those guys who talk about how bad the officiating is, and who make it clear they know more about the game than most of the guys officiating the games? Come on, one of you experts needs to settle this once and for all. Show your knowledge guys. This is a perfect opportunity to show those homers how much you know.

Ryanexpress
Varsity

Post by Ryanexpress »

md2020 wrote:IMO: Ball not in play. Warning to defense reaching across line.
Re - read the question....
Team A extends the ball over the in bounds line.
Team B is not in violation as they did not reach over the line.

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

It would still be a warning to the defense even though the offensive player reached the ball across the line.

Amarranavajas
Freshman Team

Post by Amarranavajas »

Even though this is clearly a tough call, I would bet my yearly salary that if this happened during a game many fans would know immediately that what ever call was made it was the wrong one unless their team was the beneficiary. They would then berate the officials and forever dub them "homers."

Esully63
Freshman Team

Post by Esully63 »

Amarranavajas wrote:Even though this is clearly a tough call, I would bet my yearly salary that if this happened during a game many fans would know immediately that what ever call was made it was the wrong one unless their team was the beneficiary. They would then berate the officials and forever dub them "homers."
I am guessing, mind you this is only a guess, but IMO judging from your last two childish remarks you are an official. If i am correct in assuming you to be an official, you are wasting an opportunity to educate those who are not equipt with the knowledge and wisdom you posses. If you are indeed an official, please pull yourself out of Ms. Johnson's third grade class and answer the question! If you cannot answer the question quit complaining about fans who do not know the rules when apperantly you are not as well versed as you seem to believe.

It seems to me that if someone in the stands is trying to get a better understanding of the calls, the officials that visit this site would try to help as Ryanexpress did, not spread thier arrogance with antagonistic remarks.

marklane
JV Team

Post by marklane »

I don't have a definite answer, but think I have something to offer here. In the NFHS Rule book; Rule 6, Section 1, Art. 2 states the following:

The ball becomes live when:
a. On a jump ball, the tossed ball leaves the referee's hand(s).
b. On a throw-in, it is at the disposal of the thrower.
c. On a free throw, it is at the disposal of the free thrower.

Assuming no other infractions have taken place, due to part "b", I'd have to assume that since the ball is "live", if it's tied up it'd be a jump ball!

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

OK.... THEN WHICH CAME FIRST THE CHICKEN OR THE EGG?????

Esully63
Freshman Team

Post by Esully63 »

marklane wrote:I don't have a definite answer, but think I have something to offer here. In the NFHS Rule book; Rule 6, Section 1, Art. 2 states the following:

The ball becomes live when:
a. On a jump ball, the tossed ball leaves the referee's hand(s).
b. On a throw-in, it is at the disposal of the thrower.
c. On a free throw, it is at the disposal of the free thrower.

Assuming no other infractions have taken place, due to part "b", I'd have to assume that since the ball is "live", if it's tied up it'd be a jump ball!

Thanks for your help. The only disagreement I have is team "A" is standing out of bounds which would make me agree with Possesion going to Team "B" instead of a jump ball.

This is a tough call and we had a similare one the other day. A girl was inbounding and the defender blocked the pass back at her. Instinctively she grabed it and subsuquently the team lost possesion due to catching the ball out of bounds. I didnt like the call because I felt the inbounding player was not in play until she stepped back onto the court. However the rule you have provided states the ball is in play when at the disposal of the thrower, to me, that also means the thrower is in play. Now the call the other night makes more sense. Again Thanks.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

The ball is in play but at the disposal of the out of bounds player? This player has 5 seconds to initiate a play making all players eligible to participate. Same as fout shot. 10 seconds and no one can enter the lane or interfere with the free throw until the shooter initiates the play. Obviously a judgement call by the official as a lot of calls are. I will not bet my SSA on it but I think a ref seeing the ball being grabbed by a defensive player while it is still in the hands of the player out of bounds will give a warning for encroachment. Not certified IMO.

Amarranavajas
Freshman Team

Post by Amarranavajas »

Esully63 wrote:
Amarranavajas wrote:Even though this is clearly a tough call, I would bet my yearly salary that if this happened during a game many fans would know immediately that what ever call was made it was the wrong one unless their team was the beneficiary. They would then berate the officials and forever dub them "homers."
I am guessing, mind you this is only a guess, but IMO judging from your last two childish remarks you are an official. If i am correct in assuming you to be an official, you are wasting an opportunity to educate those who are not equipt with the knowledge and wisdom you posses. If you are indeed an official, please pull yourself out of Ms. Johnson's third grade class and answer the question! If you cannot answer the question quit complaining about fans who do not know the rules when apperantly you are not as well versed as you seem to believe.

It seems to me that if someone in the stands is trying to get a better understanding of the calls, the officials that visit this site would try to help as Ryanexpress did, not spread thier arrogance with antagonistic remarks.
Once again, you guessed wrong. Imagine that, you being wrong. WOW! No I am not an official. Nor do I scream at them during games. But I do read on here posts that fans, like you, make about how you "let the refs know you saw them miss one" during the games. I also get to witness said fans screaming at the officials during the games. I just thought it would be a great time for one of you self proclaimed courtside officials to show your knowledge. So help us less informed fans know how well versed your are with the rules of basketball. Don't waste it all screaming at the ball games, or ranting on here about "how bad the refs are."

Return to “Girls Basketball”