Regina is out of the tourney

Bucknut27
Varsity

Regina is out of the tourney

Post by Bucknut27 »

Regina's girls basketball team disqualified from tournament for using ineligible player
Bob Fortuna, The Plain Dealer, March 11, 2010 4:17 p.m.

Regina girls basketball coach Pat Diulus talks to a player during a Feb. 13 game against Walsh Jesuit. The Royals' season ended today after the Ohio High School Athletic Association ruled they used an ineligible player. - (Joshua Gunter/The Plain Dealer )
South Euclid, Ohio - Regina's final girls basketball season ended today after the Ohio High School Athletic Association ruled they used an ineligible player, Royals Athletic Director John Schweickert said.

"Paperwork on a player who transferred wasn't sent in," said Schweickert, who declined to name the player.

Regina, ranked second in the state and a six-time Division III state champion, is closing in June because of financial difficulties.

The school has not decided if it is going to appeal, Schweickert said.

Regina, 21-3 and ranked second in the final Plain Dealer Top 25 poll, played Wednesday night, defeating Elyria Catholic, 68-45, in a regional semifinal. Elyria Catholic takes Regina's place in the tournament, and will face Smithville on Saturday in the regional final.

OaksGrad
Waterboy

Re: Regina is out of the tourney

Post by OaksGrad »

Thought you said 'heard that last year'? Beleive it now!!!!

Bucknut27
Varsity

Post by Bucknut27 »

Yeah, I posted in the other thread. This is pretty big news. I figured it needed its own thread. In my defense this rumor was hot last year at this time and nothing happened thats why I was skeptical.

Good job finding this.

Ole_Cuzin_Funk
Freshman Team

Post by Ole_Cuzin_Funk »

Excuse while I dry the tears from my keyboard.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Here is the report per the AP just a little while ago.

Top D3 girls team dropped from tourney

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — South Euclid Regina, one of the most dominant girls basketball teams in Ohio, has been disqualified by the state’s athletic sanctioning body for using an ineligible player.

No. 2-ranked Regina (21-3), a six-time state champion, was scheduled to meet Smithville on Saturday in a regional final. Elyria Catholic, which lost to Regina 68-45 on Wednesday night, will take its place.

Regina is scheduled to close its doors after this school year.

Also on Thursday, the Ohio High School Athletic Association ruled Huber Huber Heights Wayne’s boys basketball team had two ineligible players. But because the school was provided false information there are no forfeitures. Wayne will play Cincinnati St. Xavier in the tournament on Saturday.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

So, why all the bitterness for Regina?

vrodjason
Waterboy

Post by vrodjason »

It isn't April 1st is it? Sounds legit to me!

HotChickenWings
Waterboy

Post by HotChickenWings »

I guess the Lady Royals will have to try again next year...

NO THEY WONT! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hollywood couldn't possibly write a story with a better ending than Regina's.

GO LADY OAKS :!: :!: :!:

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

All that I can say is to quote Frank Barone (the late Peter Boyle) "HOLY CRAP!!!!"

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

This shouldn't change the Lady Oaks mindset one bit. They have to treat this as nothing. Full steam ahead.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

You nailed it right on the head Ironman92!

Bucknut27
Varsity

Post by Bucknut27 »

Ironman92 wrote:This shouldn't change the Lady Oaks mindset one bit. They have to treat this as nothing. Full steam ahead.

Yep.

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

We can't worry about Regina and what may be their future might or might not be. We have Ironton this Sat at noon. That we can count on. We have business to take care of, a very good Ironton, then we see who we play. These girls want to play the best. I am sure the girls don't care who they play. The only thing that is certain with the governing body of State High School Sports, it that they are always uncertain :lol: :lol:

Mark May
Freshman Team

Post by Mark May »

The #1 ranked team in D3 is still alive too...So the path is still a tough one.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Yep, for everyone that defends "recruiting", take that. This was Regina's last year as a school because they were losing money and couldn't afford to stay open. Serves them right I say and hopefully all other teams that "recruit" take notice and at least keep their paperwork straight. I've said in other threads as long as Pat Diulus was the A.D. at Regina they wouldn't lose much. Well, I guess OHSAA has finally woken up to some of the stuff that goes on around the state. It doesn't matter though because he'll just go back down the road 25 miles to Garfield Heights Trinity where he won state titles before and start coaching again probably. Sad but true !!!!! (For Oak Hill though it opens up a big door).

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

(For Oak Hill though it opens up a big door).

Excuse me? You meant to include Ironton, too, didn't you, in that "door opening" possibility of Regina's disqualification?

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

The only door it opens is the one for Elyria (the team they beat). Smithville is breathing a sigh of relief also.

Oak Hill and Ironton better worry about Oak Hill and Ironton and then the semi's.

Look ahead and you could become a spectator!!!!

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

This does nothing for Oak Hill. The goal is still the same no matter what team is in there way. There is still 7 other teams that are quality teams. In my opinion Regina wasn't the best team in our division this year anyways.

OH_Moose72
Freshman Team

Post by OH_Moose72 »

Oak Hill vs. Ironton this Saturday at high noon in the friendly confines of The Convo should be these two teams only focus. They can worry about next week around 2:00 Saturday.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

caglewis wrote:
(For Oak Hill though it opens up a big door).

Excuse me? You meant to include Ironton, too, didn't you, in that "door opening" possibility of Regina's disqualification?

Yes, "caglewis" I did. Sorry :)

Return to “Girls Basketball”