Lady Chiefs-All topics

ole chief
Freshman Team

Lady Chiefs-All topics

Post by ole chief »

Let's try this again and see if we can keep it clean enough to not get deleted. This is the place to nicely discuss the program. If we are mature about what we say, we may actually be able to say something other than the score and Go Chiefs. If your feelings are easily hurt and you are a coach or coaches friend then read no further, because while we will not bash coaches, we may ask questions and discuss the program. Please, Keep it clean boys and girls.

ole chief
Freshman Team

Re: Lady Chiefs-All topics

Post by ole chief »

I'll start a discussion. How many kids and what grade are they currently in are planning to play spring ball? Current 6th grade - somewhere between 4-7 kids will be playing AAU, 7th grade I only know of 1, and I know a few of the sophpmores are planning on it. any one else?

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

sorry ole chief. we've tried to do this twice and like you said, either coach's or friends of coach's whine to a mod. i spend all my time in the political forum now. you have to have a spine to post there and actually agree not to be a crybaby whenever someone might hurt an adults feelings. it was pretty cool, giving the players an actual voice on here without them being treated like dirt for letting their parents know what goes on at practices and such. then you have coach's belittleing other coach's and where does it end? what role models for our kids. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: somtimes i think its the kids who are doing the teaching about how to be a grown up.

i did find out some info on post play. a couple jv players told me that they are being expected to play the post without any training. i asked the players point blank, has any coach worked with you about post moves such as, drop step, up and under, or even the art of posting up. their answer, NO. i asked a couple of wing players if they have ever been taught how to feed the post and their answer was "what does that mean", the same answer was given when asked about reposting.

So suffice it to say these jv players could be getting by on sheer athleticism.

my daughter caitlin asked a coach about 5 weeks ago why they dont use slipscreens? answer, you guys cant handle that. these girls want to learn and aren't getting any more advanced training.

where ya been ole chief, we've missed ya.
Last edited by qualified101 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

This thread might be worth getting out of bed for on these cold Ohio mornings?? Ole Chief I did not see a lot of dissertation on the topic you put forth. (spring ball)

Tall One
Freshman Team

Post by Tall One »

Good luck with this one Ole Chief. I will give it 2 days before it gets deleted. Qualified, too bad about the post instruction. I happen to know someone that played post in a division one college, who offered to help the program with strictly post players, but was told she wasn't needed. My daughter knew how to post up in 3rd grade. While she couldn't physically get it together at that point to drop step
she had the knowledge. Now in 6th grade after many, many repititions, she can drop step, use the up and under and half baby hook. I am glad I had the foresight to teach her these things and get her with other coaches who also push her to use them. She will be entering her 4th year of spring ball. Six of her classmates from Logan played last season and as far as I know most are planning on returning. Oh and these 6th graders know how to feed the post, reposition themselves for a kick out pass and get a high percentage shot off.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

since i get alot of my info from players and parents of players, sometimes we as adults have to take into consideration that the info that gets filtered to us through our kids, can be somewhat skewed to say the least. do i believe that post play has been gone over in practice sessions? yes, im sure it has. have the kids retained it? maybe. if a player has recently moved to the post, maybe they care a little more now rather than when the player was at a different position.

with that said, keep up the good work girls. if you have questions about a new position you play, ask for guidance. if you do not get the guidance you are looking for or answers that you seek, go to the top.

this paragraph took me way too long to type as i was trying to be pc. its not worth it(the pc thing). i only know one way.
i say farewell to the chieftain thread. keep the discussions going and i may drop in from time to time if time permits.

taste the rainbow!

shakennotstirred
Waterboy

Post by shakennotstirred »

what happened?

if this is true, i for one will miss your enlightening posts. it gave us people who dont attend every game a realistic view of what goes on, not the watered down version. i know that you cared very little for small town politics but that is about it. dont stay away too long. pm me about the reason if possible.

shakennotstirred
Waterboy

Post by shakennotstirred »

ole chief wrote:I'll start a discussion. How many kids and what grade are they currently in are planning to play spring ball? Current 6th grade - somewhere between 4-7 kids will be playing AAU, 7th grade I only know of 1, and I know a few of the sophpmores are planning on it. any one else?

jmo but as the kids get older(10,11,12), i would say maybe a few less will play spring ball. just a guess.

Tall One
Freshman Team

Post by Tall One »

Shaken, a few less may play as they get older, but at least they have gotten a year or two or more of sound fundamentals. There are alot of kids playing that are in the younger grades as well. I think that at least 4 of the current 6th grader will continue to play spring ball, at least until high school. Everybody has different goals, some are playing spring ball to prepare for high school ball, others are using spring ball to prepare for college. And as these are young kids sometimes priorities change and life happens. And thats okay. If my dtr tells me today that she thinks she wants to pursue band or cheerledaing instead of basketball, I would spend some time today getting her hooked up for the lessons. She is a kid and needs to pursue her dreams, whatever they are.
Last edited by Tall One on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

Don't go Qualified.

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

SNS, I am sure fewer kids will play AAU as they get older, and that is okay. That is what kids do. just like the numbers in any activity slim down as the kids go through school, spring ball is no different.

Nagol1
Freshman Team

Post by Nagol1 »

huh?

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

Huh what Nagol? what part didnt you understand? the part about the coaches not reading this?

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

i implore all posters to take heed. i beg of you not to hurt any of the coach's feelings because, well, thats just not nice. again, please do not type anything remotely negative about any of the bball teams because the coach's are very sentimental and sometimes feelings get hurt. so please lets dont upset any of the coach's, so they can concentrate on coaching bball.

thank you everybody for your cooperation.

sorry, i was gonna stop posting on this forum until i saw what some, what could be construed as hurtful remarks, being typed.

again, thx for reading, im outta here.
Last edited by qualified101 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nagol1
Freshman Team

Post by Nagol1 »

Huh? Huh?

five on five
Waterboy

Post by five on five »

Freshmen Lady Chiefs improved their record to 9-2 on the season Monday, by defeating Philo. Nice job
ladies. Seven players and all do a great job of contributing on the floor.
Keep it going!

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

Nagol1 wrote:Huh? Huh?

i see by the number of posts that you have that you may be new to this site. you see, some coach's get on here and like to belittle other coach's and stuff like that just doesnt serve a purpose in the teaching of our student athletes so i am trying to keep this stuff cleaned up. i made a promise to a very important person. coach's have feelings too, and well, we as posters have to realize that. the common thinking is that if you take a coaching position, then as a coach, you might think that you would have to deal with some tough situations. in reality, some coach's i guess, never took that into consideration when accepting the position. its our job as posters to keep that in mind. i hope that this clears up any questions that you had or have. let me know if i can help you in any way in keeping to the high road. we wouldnt want anybody outside the school system to think that our coach's are setting a bad example. thanks and remember, im here to help.

Tall One
Freshman Team

Post by Tall One »

Qualified, you are one very helpful guy. I'm glad that you didn't leave because you give the kids a voice. Sometimes it is a voice that others do not want to hear, but sometimes that is what is needed. Others point of view can be helpful in determining the health of a program. Logan's program seems to be doing pretty good after a rough start. They are adjusting to the loss of some very key players. Good for them. I see the freshmen team is still winning after losing a kid to the jv. good for them.

hayseed
Riding the Bench

Post by hayseed »

My observation in the last two home games that there has been a slight shift in playing time. More to the point the offense has struggled at times but getting behind such as 17-4 at Marietta does not help. The starting line-up was tweaked some and this IMO has been significant for the defense and has not adversely affected the offense. More playing time for the other sophomore on the team would be helpful on defense and a positive on offense. Moving #22 off the perimeter on defense and putting her down on a post type player would help as she is a good rebounder. Everyone sees the game from their own perspective and this is mine. JMO. Should lead to some useful discussion. IMO the game starts on defense.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Ice day: I also think the game begins on the defense. Shots might not fall but you still play defense. The girls have been good on this over the past few years. You do what works as far as the players go as the game progresses. IMO we are playing a better all around game from the beginning of the season.

Return to “Girls Basketball”