Girls District Finals at the Convo

MightyOaksFan
SE

Girls District Finals at the Convo

Post by MightyOaksFan »

According to seodab, the girls basketball district finals will be held on March 7th at the Convo at OU.

The schedule looks like this

March 7th
D4
11:00
1:00
D2
3:00
D3
5:00
7:00
9:00

Do you think this is a good idea or should they have kept it the way it was?

bettis
Varsity

Re: Girls District Finals at the Convo

Post by bettis »

I like the new idea. It is hard for teams to play during the day though.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

This is GREAT!! It will a great day of basketball at the Convo, just like they have for the boys each year. Waverly is a nice place for district semis, but it's great to play on a big stage like the Convo!!

I don't think playing in the day on the weekend is a big deal. Several girls teams have 1:00 games on Saturdays. The only game I wouldn't want would the the 9:00 game. With each game being a district final (net cuttings, trophy presentations, etc), the last game may not start until 9:20 or so.

The facilities at the Convo are excellent and it will provide a great astmosphere for these games!!!
Last edited by socfan on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

this is a good Idea. It should give the teams somemore support from their respected conference teams an fans.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

lol, if Oak Hill were to get the top seed and make their way to that district final game then they would be in that 9:00 game.

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

I will probably stay an watch a buddy of mines daughter play in that final game. Just make a whole day out of it!!!

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

MightyOaksFan wrote:lol, if Oak Hill were to get the top seed and make their way to that district final game then they would be in that 9:00 game.

They should be use to playing in the Convo at 9:00 a.m. They've done it two years in a row haven't they?

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

9:00 AM yes, 9:00 PM no

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Did someone really just ask if this was a good idea to play District Final games in the Convocation Center at Ohio university? You have got to be kidding me!!!! The venue has been used for 40+ consecutive years for High School Tournaments for boys and the State and District bring Girls games there and someone wants to know if it's a good idea? Hey, let's just go back to letting the girls shoot on peach baskets!

shlvet
Waterboy

Post by shlvet »

Are you sure the district will be at the Convo? The site says:

Division III, District Tournament – 2-26 (6:15; 8:00) – 2-28 (12:00; 1:45), 3-2 (6:15; 8:00) 3-7 (3:00; 5:00; 7:00)
Waverly High School, Waverly.

I see the bracket says OU but they list the winners going to the regionals as Waverly #1 etc.

I hope it is at the Convo but I'm doubting it is true. The girls always get the short end.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Pol Pot wrote:Did someone really just ask if this was a good idea to play District Final games in the Convocation Center at Ohio university? You have got to be kidding me!!!! The venue has been used for 40+ consecutive years for High School Tournaments for boys and the State and District bring Girls games there and someone wants to know if it's a good idea? Hey, let's just go back to letting the girls shoot on peach baskets!

Pol Pot: I did not ask the question because I don't think that they deserve to play there. I think the girls have just as much right to play there as boys and find girls games to be just as intense and better played than boys games, which is why I am involved with girls basketball.
I asked the question because I for one and know many others that Waverly is their favorite gym. I wouldn't pass up the chance to play at the Convo any day, but Waverly is still my favorite, just wondered if others felt the same way.

I want it to be at the Convo, it was just a simple question.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

The Girls District Finals are at the Convocation Center. The winners of those games go to the Regionals.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

and the district semis are at Waverly. Waverly is the contact person for the districts, which is why it still says Waverly

blondebomb
Freshman Team

Post by blondebomb »

MOF, I think that's a great idea, although Waverly has great memories for yrs, look at all the extra seats. I would say alot more people will come out knowing they wouldn't have to fight for a seat . Good Luck to the Ladys the rest of the season.

Birdman
Riding the Bench

Post by Birdman »

MOF do you know if they are going to pull the bleachers at the bottom of the court out? It is a nice place to watch games but the atmosphere just isn't any good without letting the students and fans on the floor. Typically girls teams don't bring the same amount of fans as the boys and at times the Convo isn't as electric as a smaller venue can be. I have been at Waverly and it is always loud and full of energy.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

I doubt that they will pull them out. They did not pull them out for the Alexander shootout so I doubt they will for the districts, just like the boys.

buddyholly
Freshman Team

Post by buddyholly »

I think if the athletic directors from the Southeast district would talk to the Southeastern Ohio Board of the OHSAA about having the fans in the bleachers for girls games ,it could happen. Why not have a Hoosier-like atomsphere for this girls!! I can't see any good reason why not!! ALL OF THE OHIO U. games are played with the bleachers OUT, why not for these games. The scorers, timekeeper etc. don't have a problem during the O.U. games!!!Ever since O.U. started playing basketball in the Convo the BLEACHERS HAVE BEEN OUT FOR THE FANS. Let's start a new era of girls basketball at the Convo in two ways, fans on the floor and the district finals too!!!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

If they don't pull the bleachers out for the boys why would they pull them out for the girls?
Not being able to sit (stand in most cases) close to the court takes away from the electric atmosphere.
Waverly is a GREAT venue with an electric atmosphere for the girls districts. Unless there has been a problem we don't know about I don't see the need or the benefit in moving it to the convo. You can say you played at the convo I guess.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

word is, "bleachers will be out" *Tentatively*

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

The SE district has been trying for several years to get the girls district finals at the Convo. They are planning on pulling out the bleachers due to the belief that the crowd pull not be as large as the boys. Trying to control the bleachers would be extremely difficult during the boys districts (trying to clear it out for each game). My opinion is that sections will be designated for each team in the bleachers and they will rotate the groups as best they can. I think this is great for girls basketball in our area. We need to make sure there is a great crowd at the Convo on March 7th to encourage the board to continue to have the girls district finals at the Convo.

Return to “Girls Basketball”