Valentine's Day- Division 2 @ Southeastern

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Valentine's Day- Division 2 @ Southeastern

Post by danicalifornia »

The two district semi-finals will be played on Thursday at Southeastern High School in Ross County.

Game 1, 6:15PM
(20-2) Circleville vs. (16-6) Sheridan

Game 2, 8:00PM
(21-1) Unioto vs. (9-14) New Lexington

I believe that both Circleville and Unioto will be in for massive battles on Thursday. The fact that New Lex has 14 losses(13 came in league) shows how tough the MVL is. They are peaking at the right time and shocked a lot of people by not only beating Vinton County, but Warren too! Sheridan cruised through their sectional, beating 2 SEOAL teams on their way through.

Checking New Lex's scores shows that, like Unioto, they play some very good defense.
vs. Gallia Academy- 50-34
vs. Vinton County- 36-32
vs. Warren- 51-42
Those are some impressive defensive totals.

I will take Circleville and Unioto, but both will have to battle or will be eliminated.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Beating mediocre SEOAL schools isn't a feather in the cap for Sheridan. They're used to tough competition in the MVL, along with New Lex. New Lex came into the tournament with some momentum and has cranked it up. But again, they beat a VC team who Circleville beat by almost 20 points. VC's schedule isn't the best and they probably hit a wall with their young team.

I believe the run ends for both at Southeastern. I'll take Circleville and Unioto advancing to the district championship game. I look for the first game to be the best because Sheridan has a good basketball team. Unioto should have time to refocus and prepare for New Lex with several days off.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

bman618 wrote:Beating mediocre SEOAL schools isn't a feather in the cap for Sheridan. They're used to tough competition in the MVL, along with New Lex. New Lex came into the tournament with some momentum and has cranked it up. But again, they beat a VC team who Circleville beat by almost 20 points. VC's schedule isn't the best and they probably hit a wall with their young team.

I believe the run ends for both at Southeastern. I'll take Circleville and Unioto advancing to the district championship game. I look for the first game to be the best because Sheridan has a good basketball team. Unioto should have time to refocus and prepare for New Lex with several days off.
Marietta is a mediocre SEOAL school? WOW!

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Except for Ironton and Logan, the SEOAL has already said goodbye to the tournament. Is this supposed to be labeled good or mediocre? This includes Marietta. I always say league strength is proven in the tournament and it hasn't been that great for the SEOAL. Up here, the MSL has also not fared all that well. Circleville, Amanda and Hamilton are the only schools left. Of course the SEOAL also has two more schools than the MSL.

The MVL seems to be the better of the three bigger leagues of the area - SEOAL, MSL the other two - at the moment.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

I think Chillicothe and Marietta were actually pretty good teams this year.If you want to call anyone in the SEOAL mediocre or just down right bad, that would be GAHS,PHS, Athens and Jackson. I dont think Logan will be long for the tournament either since they are in D1.Does that make them a bad team?NO.If they were D2 they might be making reservations for Columbus.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

It all starts in about 10 hours. I'm pretty excited for these ballgames.

Good Luck to Unioto and Circleville tonight!

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Teams play for the tournament. Tournament is the ultimate judge of success. Circleville went 19-1 last year, won the MSL but got upset in sectional play. That was a disappointing end for them.

We could play what if games all day. That is the size of Logan and that's where they play. I didn't really think it was "fair" for a school the size of Logan Elm to have to play Zanesville two years ago in the regionals, but that is the system and we all deal with it.

I don't want to take a crap on the SEOAL, but Sheridan and New Lex are used to playing good competition in the MVL. So for them to beat SEOAL schools should not be much of a surprise. That is the whole point. The MVL is a strong lead traditionally in most sports, like the SEOAL and MSL.

I'll agree Chillicothe was a good team, like Circleville was last year. But I'm sure they had their sights see farther than the sectional.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

bman618 wrote:Teams play for the tournament. Tournament is the ultimate judge of success. Circleville went 19-1 last year, won the MSL but got upset in sectional play. That was a disappointing end for them.

We could play what if games all day. That is the size of Logan and that's where they play. I didn't really think it was "fair" for a school the size of Logan Elm to have to play Zanesville two years ago in the regionals, but that is the system and we all deal with it.

I don't want to take a crap on the SEOAL, but Sheridan and New Lex are used to playing good competition in the MVL. So for them to beat SEOAL schools should not be much of a surprise. That is the whole point. The MVL is a strong lead traditionally in most sports, like the SEOAL and MSL.

I'll agree Chillicothe was a good team, like Circleville was last year. But I'm sure they had their sights see farther than the sectional.
Chillicothe had high hopes til the zebras cost them.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Trying to figure out how the zebras cost them? Unioto did shoot a lot more FT but that isn't a good reason to say the zebras cost them. Most of those fouls were legit. A few more could've been called against Unioto but Chillicothe blew the game by not expanding on its early double-digit lead to build up a big lead in a low-scoring game.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

And also by not attacking the basket. Mac was off her game due to Chillicothe's very good post defense and I think that Vinson could've had a big game if they ever pounded the ball down low. Especially since Mac played all but like 2 minutes in the game.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

bman618 wrote:Trying to figure out how the zebras cost them? Unioto did shoot a lot more FT but that isn't a good reason to say the zebras cost them. Most of those fouls were legit. A few more could've been called against Unioto but Chillicothe blew the game by not expanding on its early double-digit lead to build up a big lead in a low-scoring game.
I'm not the only one who feels this way.There are some Unioto people that say we got hosed.The one ref was especially bad.Our girl gets knocked over no foul called.We drive into the paint it's charging.They drive into the paint it's blocking.Say what you will but when you have one team with over 20 fouls and the other with maybe 7 or 8 something wasn't quite right. We shoot 3 fouls shots all game and two were t's and they shoot god knows how many there is a problem.Dont give me they didn't try to draw fouls,every time they did it was charging. All i'm saying is, refs should be accountable when they do good and bad not just when they do good.They were not good in this game.I'm done with this subject!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto took one charge in the game. Megan Lee drove and Savannah Fouty took the contact, she might have been set or might have been moving, but that was the only time that it was called.

Also, I know it doesn't really matter, but Monique Lee shot 3 FT's and Megan shot 2, so it ended up being 5, which is ridiculous still. The foul difference was out of control, but it would've been closer if they did what I said in the last post. I still don't get why Vinson didn't see the ball more, but whatever.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

danicalifornia wrote:Unioto took one charge in the game. Megan Lee drove and Savannah Fouty took the contact, she might have been set or might have been moving, but that was the only time that it was called.

Also, I know it doesn't really matter, but Monique Lee shot 3 FT's and Megan shot 2, so it ended up being 5, which is ridiculous still. The foul difference was out of control, but it would've been closer if they did what I said in the last post. I still don't get why Vinson didn't see the ball more, but whatever.
Was it 5? I do have to agree there.They didn't go to Vinson enough.She is a very talented player. Are you going tonight? Good Luck to Unioto! Maybe you will end up with same set of clowns...I mean refs...LOL

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The gazette had 5 and I remember Monique getting fouled early and then had an And-1 late in the 3rd.

I really think Chillicothe will be very good once again next year, just need someone to semi fill Megan's spot and the other's need to step up big.

I'm heading out right now. The white haired guy was doing the game before the Unioto boys last night and the other two are not invited to do games at Unioto unless they are assigned, so until that game, we never liked them, LOL.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

danicalifornia wrote:The gazette had 5 and I remember Monique getting fouled early and then had an And-1 late in the 3rd.

I really think Chillicothe will be very good once again next year, just need someone to semi fill Megan's spot and the other's need to step up big.

I'm heading out right now. The white haired guy was doing the game before the Unioto boys last night and the other two are not invited to do games at Unioto unless they are assigned, so until that game, we never liked them, LOL.
Good Luck again!

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

MVL goes down to the SVC and the Mid State tonight.Should be a heck of a game between Circleville and Unioto for the District Championship.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

If Unioto plays like that again, Circleville will win big. It took about 6 minutes for Unioto to wake up tonight, then they let New Lex hang around until halftime, only being up 3, 23-20. The 2nd half was a different story as they outscored NL 27-9.

Mackenzie Arledge led Unioto with 20 and Shiann Ray added 11. They played very well overall in the 2nd half as well.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Unioto has had some slow starts of late. That will be a problem if it happens against Circleville. The Circleville-Unioto game is going to be good. Two good competitive programs going at each other. Arledge had a nice game tonight for the Shermans. Fought hard for rebounds and second chance points, which was the difference for Unioto. Ray is also a nice basketball player.

Congrats to New Lex on its run to the district tournament.

Circleville played one of its better games of the season and dominated a good Sheridan basketball team. The balance offensively and the good defense was nice to see from the Lady Tigers.

Should be a nice crowd Wednesday. Both schools had good crowds at the semifinal games.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bman- If Unioto plays like they did in the 1st half last night, against Circleville, it'll be over by the half. Unioto seems to play to the level of their competition for the most part, so they may step it up big against Circleville. Hopefully they will at least.

Circleville looked VERY good last night and that's because they are very good. I would also like to say Congrats to New Lex on a heck of a run, not sure anyone outside of their program expected them to even make it to Southeastern last night.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

I think you'll see the Unioto girls step it up against Circleville. It's for the district championship and a trip to the Sweet 16. One matchup to watch will be Circleville's post against Unioto's. Circleville has a post of roughly 6-3, 5-10 and 5-9. Arledge is a nice player for Unioto but she'll have equal post players going against her. Ray and Cottrell will also need to have good games, and Unioto will try and figure out how to stop Mogan and Palmer.

Should be interesting.

New Lex made a nice run and I was impressed with how they played with a lot of intensity. Nice to see a Cinderella once in a while. Unioto just had too much firepower.

Return to “Girls Basketball”