Alexander 08-09

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Re: Alexander 08-09

Post by sports mom 09 »

KnowIt2 wrote:look for them to win the TVC ohio if they accquire the baskeball players like they do volleyball haha

That's real funny!!!! There is only one girl on the basketball team that is part of the transfers and she played reserve last year. She was a package deal with her sister from Jackson. Coach G takes more pride in the Alexander girls then most and he would not do anything like that. You will not see what is happening with volleyball to happen with b-ball, as long as Coach G is around.

buckfever
Riding the Bench

Post by buckfever »

I agree with your statement above about Coach G, however, we need to know the facts before we post, myself included. Julie Els was also part of the so called recruiting and she and Whitney Daugherty played both JV and varsity last year in which they both lettered varsity. So there are two and one was the package deal and that one that came with the package dressed varsity and played some just not enough to letter. Coach G did an excellent job with Julie, which is very athletic but knew very little about basketball until Coach G got ahold of her.

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

I apologize for forgetting Julie. She is a very talented young lady. I could almost guarentee you, playing basketball was the last thought on Julies' mind when she came to Alex. Both Julie and Kayla(who dressed varsity last year) are great hustlers and that is something Coach G loves in a ball player. Sorry I forgot Julie in my first post. With volleyball still going on, makes it hard to remember who will be coming to play basketball when they end their tournament run. Not sure about the Bartlett girl(who was a transfer last year). She might be playing basketball too. Will just have to wait and see. I know there are 10 girls going to Alaska in December, W. Smith, L. Raines, E. Skidmore, H. McClain, J. Pyle, W. Daughtery, J. Elses, K. Radekin, M. Grinstead and K. Guthrie. Best of luck to them this season...Lets not drag the recruiting crap into basketball season. That is not where it started at so lets leave it there. Good luck to all TVC team this year!

buckfever
Riding the Bench

Post by buckfever »

Would not think of bringing that into basketball nor should anyone else, it doesn't happen. I was just stating a fact, you left out Julie, which will help Alex this year and is a very hard worker along with Kayla just like you said. If we are going to reply to someone elses ignorance that Alex should win the TVC because of transfering, which doesn't happen in basketball then we need to make sure our facts are correct. I understand that it was a mistake and you didn't mean to forget her.

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

Thank you buckfever for helping me out. I think this group of young ladies will make the county proud this year. They all work hard and give 110%. I have watched these young ladies grow up and I know what they are capable of. I am already proud of them!!! Great atheletes and all great students as well. Can't wait to get the season started. :) Just won't want to see it end....expecially this year... :(

WangoZTango
Freshman Team

Post by WangoZTango »

Alexander also returns Emily Skidmore! While Emily is known more as a runner (and an OUTSTANDING runner at that) she is also a good basketball player with a very competitive edge, a team mentality, and the heart and soul of a champion.

Good luck Alexander Lady Spartans!

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

all this talk about "package deals" pretty much backs up my statement that they recruit...maybe not for basketball...but definatly volleyball...so its only a matter of time before the girls basketball program gets over shadowed and they start recruiting for that

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

sports mom 09 wrote:Thank you buckfever for helping me out. I think this group of young ladies will make the county proud this year .They all work hard and give 110%. I have watched these young ladies grow up and I know what they are capable of. I am already proud of them!!! Great atheletes and all great students as well. Can't wait to get the season started. :) Just won't want to see it end....expecially this year... :(

yes they will make "the county proud", since they have a few from each district in the county :lol:

buckfever
Riding the Bench

Post by buckfever »

It does not back up anything. It is a reply to the above statements and the volleyball statements that the transfers are so called recruits. Coach G will never recruit, his players work hard and so does he. The majority of the players from around athens county couldn't play for him because of his expectations and how hard he makes his girls work. This is not say that they are not good enough to play for him because there are some talented young ladies in southeast ohio but most could not handle his aggressive coaching style. I know for a fact that there is probably only one girl from my school that could handle his coaching style. Plus the parents at most schools would have his hide for yelling at their little girls. However, the majority of his players respect him and praise him after they graduate for teaching them life long lessons that have helped them along their life journey.

Yes, Emily Skidmore will be a factor in the spartans success this year. I was just commenting on the reply to the vinton county statement. Watch out for Heather and Jenny too they may just suprise you. If they play up to their potential this just might be the best season the lady spartans have ever had.

Coach G will never turn an athlete away that wants work hard and put in the time in dedication it takes to play for the Spartans buy he will never go looking. He has enough athletes to do the job at Alex. Shoot everyone counted them out after their state run and they made to the sweet sixteen again.

Don't count them out this year either. Yes, Kathy will be missed and so will Lacey, but he has alot of talent on that team right now. Some of the younger players are going to shine this year because he knows how to make them play up to their ability. I wish all coaches could be like that. Hard nose but the kids still know he cares. I believe that most coaches would be too but not all AD's or school boards will back a coach like Alexanders does. Once the parents start complaining that the coach is too tuff or mean or they aren't playing the correct players the coach losses their job and the next coach goes through the same thing. This is an opinion of an ex coach that had the backing, thank goodness.

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

KnowIt2 wrote:all this talk about "package deals" pretty much backs up my statement that they recruit...maybe not for basketball...but definatly volleyball...so its only a matter of time before the girls basketball program gets over shadowed and they start recruiting for that

I can tell you that as long as Coach Guthrie is at Alexander there will be NO recruiting in basketball. Coach is true to his school and will use what he has to make a team of.

WangoZTango wrote:Alexander also returns Emily Skidmore! While Emily is known more as a runner (and an OUTSTANDING runner at that) she is also a good basketball player with a very competitive edge, a team mentality, and the heart and soul of a champion.

Good luck Alexander Lady Spartans!

I didn't leave Emily out of my post as a returning player for Alexander. Em is a great kid and very good hustler on the court. She gives her all every time she hits the floor and is afraid of no one, no matter their size. You've got to love a kid like that.
buckfever wrote:It does not back up anything. It is a reply to the above statements and the volleyball statements that the transfers are so called recruits. Coach G will never recruit, his players work hard and so does he. The majority of the players from around athens county couldn't play for him because of his expectations and how hard he makes his girls work. This is not say that they are not good enough to play for him because there are some talented young ladies in southeast ohio but most could not handle his aggressive coaching style. I know for a fact that there is probably only one girl from my school that could handle his coaching style. Plus the parents at most schools would have his hide for yelling at their little girls. However, the majority of his players respect him and praise him after they graduate for teaching them life long lessons that have helped them along their life journey.

Yes, Emily Skidmore will be a factor in the spartans success this year. I was just commenting on the reply to the vinton county statement. Watch out for Heather and Jenny too they may just suprise you. If they play up to their potential this just might be the best season the lady spartans have ever had.

Coach G will never turn an athlete away that wants work hard and put in the time in dedication it takes to play for the Spartans buy he will never go looking. He has enough athletes to do the job at Alex. Shoot everyone counted them out after their state run and they made to the sweet sixteen again.

Don't count them out this year either. Yes, Kathy will be missed and so will Lacey, but he has alot of talent on that team right now. Some of the younger players are going to shine this year because he knows how to make them play up to their ability. I wish all coaches could be like that. Hard nose but the kids still know he cares. I believe that most coaches would be too but not all AD's or school boards will back a coach like Alexanders does. Once the parents start complaining that the coach is too tuff or mean or they aren't playing the correct players the coach losses their job and the next coach goes through the same thing. This is an opinion of an ex coach that had the backing, thank goodness.

Well stated buckfever!!!! Coach G is hard on the girls but he know what they are capable of doing and will push them until they get there. Not many people would let their kids play for him because they think he is mean. He's tough, not mean. Maybe that is why some of the girls from last year are not playing this year. Who knows! He would give the world to his players if they asked for it. You can't find a better coach then him. All the girls respect him and ask any alumni that played for him and they will tell you the same thing. Go Lady Spartans.

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

"Give the world to his players".....maybe some financial benefits and other perks on the side?

buckfever
Riding the Bench

Post by buckfever »

Let's not go there it is not worth it. Reading a little far into the statement, which I am sure you have heard before. There has never been anything said or anyone accussed of his in girls basketball at alex. Leave it on the volleyball forum please. Better yet leave it alone. Don't take away from the kids. Grinstead, Smith, McClain, Guthrie, Skidmore, Pyle, Daugherty, and Raines are all born and raised spartans same with Born and Kasler if they play. Leaving only two transfers Els and Radekin and if you read the volleyball posts it is supposingly Coach J that brought them to Alex through Aleta Aces. As I said before Coach G will make the best out of what he has, which is pretty good, not go looking.

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

is Sasquatch playin?

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

KnowIt2 wrote:"Give the world to his players".....maybe some financial benefits and other perks on the side?

Is the guys in the stands under his new alias? You are as much a pain already has he has been. Seeing how you are a new poster and all.... and we all know that as guy in the stands you know it all (2) is just the second name. good job guy! You need to stop with the transfer stuff with basketball...

Its a waste of time to even go there. I know what Coach is all about and apparently you have no clue anything about this man. He is a great guy who cares for the girls that play for him. Come out and watch a practice and see him in action. Come watch a game..you would think at times he would like to pop their heads off but he is just a competitor and wants the girls to play their best.

Because your program is not as good as our, you don't need to start with all the crap on this thread. I will not be posting anymore to this person. Its a major waste of time. You have NO CLUE buddy...get a life.....

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

KnowIt2 wrote:look for them to win the TVC ohio if they accquire the baskeball players like they do volleyball haha

KnowIt2 wrote:
sports mom 09 wrote:Thank you buckfever for helping me out. I think this group of young ladies will make the county proud this year .They all work hard and give 110%. I have watched these young ladies grow up and I know what they are capable of. I am already proud of them!!! Great atheletes and all great students as well. Can't wait to get the season started. :) Just won't want to see it end....expecially this year... :(

yes they will make "the county proud", since they have a few from each district in the county :lol:
KnowIt2 wrote:"Give the world to his players".....maybe some financial benefits and other perks on the side?

Why is this being brought up on the basketball forum?
If I am not mistaken there will only be 2 girls on the basketball team that transfered to Alex, maybe 3. Those girls all play volleyball. Lets leave the trouble on the volleyball forum for that is where it all got started.
I am pretty sure that the basketball coach at Alex is a 1st class coach and he would never think about recruiting for basketball. Heck, why recruit....he has had some awesome talent playing for him for at least 5 years..Why would you need to look any further. I think he is true to his school and wouldn't think of asking girls to come play for him...I really think that the recruiting stuff needs to go back to the volleyball forum where it belongs. NOT ON BASKETBALL!!!!!!

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

The only thing that Alex coach gives his girls are some tough practices and a hard time when needed. Watch him coach these girls one time. Watch HIM...He gets into the game and looks like he wants to jump out there on the floor and play himself. He loves the sport. Only thing the girls get from him is lesson that they they will take on with them in life. "Things are tough and only get tougher". These girls know what tough is when they play for him.....These girls handle that toughness well. Go Lady Spartans

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

Nope...im just a new poster cause my first one "KnowIt" got banned...

But seriously...is Sasquatch playing?

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

KnowIt2 wrote:Nope...im just a new poster cause my first one "KnowIt" got banned...

But seriously...is Sasquatch playing?

Who are you refering to? I would guess by the remarks you are making now, you won't last long on here again. Better start thinking of a new name. Grow up. Didn't your momma teach you anything? "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" A lesson you should learn!!!!

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

Lets leave the basketball coach alone. The volleyball coach "may" deserve that kind of treatment (I dislike recruiting, but I don't know that he does), but the basketball coach has been well behaved as far as I know and it isn't right to slander him like that.

middlechild
Freshman Team

Post by middlechild »

Good luck Morgan Nickels! Your family will be cheering you on! Hope you do well!!

Return to “Girls Basketball”