Lady Chiefs

hayseed
Riding the Bench

Re: Lady Chiefs

Post by hayseed »

Klingenburg, Topf, Murphy, Linton, Evans. ???????

dave
Riding the Bench

Post by dave »

My starting line up would be:

Simmons
Klingenburg
Topf
Linton
Murphy

This group would be able to run the floor well together and be able to play some hard nose defense. JMO

Nagol1
Freshman Team

Post by Nagol1 »

I guess I wasn't clear. Everything is running much,much better this year than in the past. Go Lady Chiefs!

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

Definate starters would be Klingenberg, Evans, and Topf. Maybe Sampson and Mclain, both of whom would add size to a small line up and are still able to get down the floor and they would be able to help out defensively on the inside. As far as how the program is going this year versus last, I guess we will have to wait and see. It will be interesting to see how they overcome the loss of their point guard. Will it be used as an excuse for a mediocre season or will they deal with it and press on to have a good season?

hayseed
Riding the Bench

Post by hayseed »

I am having a tough time imagining a game situation where you would have Evans, Sampson and Mclain in the game at the same time with any other two players. Like it is said, I guess we will have to wait and see. Go chiefs.

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

Evans is the only true postplayer they have, and she doesnt have much size for a post. offensively with the 4 out 1 in that walsh likes, that works. But we need more size for defense. Besides that sampson and mcclain have played enough travel ball to know how to run the floor and handle the ball and play solid defense. you have to have some size on the perimeter to challenge strong shooters, to make them actually have to adjust and shoot "over" the defender. I also don't know much about some of the kids listed.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Logan BB: IMO the Lady Chiefs success this year will be predicated on how well they play an uptempo type pressure defense that keeps the opposing offense from setting up in the half court. Along with this they will have to get their own offense into the half court and push the ball when it is available. In the half court offense playing an open post might be an option. Ball handling and quickness will be at the forefront. Play whatever line-up that is necessary to accomplish this task. There is a lot of talent on this team,just need to hitch it up.

hayseed
Riding the Bench

Post by hayseed »

I understand the Lady Chiefs have a few scrimmage under their belts. How's it lookin?

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

forget about size, play the players that give you the best chance to win, whether its 5 guards or 5 centers. this team should be able to run anybody in the league out of the gym. md said it all.

SOMAGIC
JV Team

Post by SOMAGIC »

Good luck to all the Lady Chiefs. Hope to see you play soon!!!

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Logan BB: Season begins Tuesday at Athens. JV and Varsity. Gallipolis beat Athens by 16 points Saturday. It could be a good start for the girls. Jackson comes to town on Saturday. Be real nice to start out with 2 wins and this is a good possibility. Chili beat Wheelersburg by about 6 Saturday and I believe they play Minford Monday. Minford should be a better game to get a drift on the Chilli team. Go Chiefs.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Go Lady Chiefs

osu*me
Riding the Bench

Post by osu*me »

You can't play 5 guards. 4 out 1 in will work fine for the lady chiefs. You cannot leave those one or two small guards up against big post players. I'm no small girl and i know when i played a foward/4 position well.... thankgoodness for jessica harris bc some of the girls we went up against were rather large, physical, and nice basketball players to boot. Now, I'm not sure if/what teams have big post players, but logan will run into some, at some point thats for sure. Any team especially that has a dominate post player will manhandle most guards trying to defend her in the post. I am also not not familiar with the girls on the team this year, so, if they have a guard like caitlin holloway, tall, strong, physical and a great defensive player...well then I take back everything i said. If not, Logan needs a post player in there.

SOMAGIC
JV Team

Post by SOMAGIC »

md2020...Minford played Oak Hill Monday not Chili. It was truly ugly for the falcons!!!! Oak Hill 72 - Minford 32. I did watch Chili play Burg on Saturday. Chili is big and physical. Chili got in some foul trouble and Burg started coming back on them. Didn't get to watch the entire game but Burg had a chance to win the game...just couldn't hit their free throws. Burg lost by 6.

Wish the Lady Chiefs the best of luck!!!

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

"You cannot leave those one or two small guards up against big post players."

uh, yeah you can. maybe not in d1 college or pros but in se ohio girls high school bball any guard that has skills can defend anybody else on the floor. any decent coach can create a gameplan for defending post players, the players just have to execute, whether it be fronting the post with backside help or a much simpler way would be to just deny the entry pass which is a lost art these days. the easiest way to defend somebody is to not let them have the ball which takes alot of hustle but can be done. now, if you have a freak of nature, say a real(not inflated for the scouting report)6'8, 6'9 player or heaven forbid a 7 footer, sure a lob could work every time but thats not the case in the league.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

SITS ... make sure you give us a rundown after the game tonight ...

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Logan BB: Logan freshman, JV and Varsity all won last night at Athens. Logan Varsity won 58-41. The other two games were pretty close scoring wise. Varsity looked pretty good at times. Played aggressive defense and did have a lot of fouls but a lot to do with how the game was called. Team work looked good on both ends of the floor. IMO Athens was better than I anticipated. The girls play at home Saturday vs Jackson.

osu*me
Riding the Bench

Post by osu*me »

pardon me for having an opinion.

most teams need a post player on the floor. how many teams do we play that don't have two or three big girls playin the 4/5 spot? IMO.

how tall/big was the starting line up last night for logan?

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

Just a rough guess on how tall the starters were but at the 1,2,and3 we had Klingenberg, Topf, and Linton, at the 4 and 5 we had Murphy and evans. Klingenberg and Topf are around 5'6", Linton and Evans around 5' 10" and Murphy is 5'5". Linton did play the 5 some. My guess is the starters will change soon. Linton, even with her size looked good at the wing and was able to play aggressive defense against the ball handlers. Topf played hard every minute she was on the floor and was effective on offense and defense. we don't really seem to have a true 4 yet. Murphy used her strength and was somewhat effective defensively, but at 5'5" she was a little lost amonst the trees. they also didn't try to get the ball into evans much. Not bad for the first game and a blowout at that. Walsh did sub alot as he should have in a blowout. Some of the subs had trouble adjusting to the pace of the game.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Logan BB: Just a few observations: Guessing the starters will change soon (ole chief). My guess is that who starts is not very significant as every girl on the bench better be ready to play considering the aggressive defense we will be playing. They didn't try to get the ball into evans much. (ole chief) I don't think the coaching staff at Logan sees the post as a "real offensive threat" and if I were an opposing coach I think I might think the same. The real issue IMO with our post play is on the defensive boards. Evans as of now is the only real player that can play with her back to the basket with any affectiveness. Sampson looks good on the board and McClain would be probably more of an all around threat in the paint. Post players can be effective in more ways on the offensive end even when not scoring as was demonstrated last night with some nice screens and rub offs. I guess the game schemes will come out as the season progresses.

Return to “Girls Basketball”