Doug Hale remains head coach, now hired as principal of OHHS

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Re: Doug Hale's Reign as Head Coach

Post by blockcharge »

If there is a split board as far as votes, he might have been told by 2 BOE members that they would not support him in both positions and told by 2 BOE members he had their support.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

falconater wrote:If he was told in advance,why is this an issue now? Shouldn't he just choose on job or another?

it would appear that that isnt the will of the electorate.

if i was from another school district i wouldnt want him coaching either. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oak_hill_oaks
Waterboy

Post by oak_hill_oaks »

qualified101 wrote:
blockcharge wrote:Has the man done both jobs well since December? If so why would you want to change. If he falters then the BOE should step in.

this is a great question?

another question. who would take the coaching job now? people loyal to coach hale probably wouldnt do it for their own reasons and can you imagine if they brought in an outsider. WOW!

why wait until now to decide this? open gyms are in full effect all around. this should have been put to bed months ago. nothing like procrastinating.

I agree that the search should have started sooner, and I believe that was up to the Super to do so, especially since he knew he did not have the support to continue doing both jobs. But, as far as I know, at no time (even to this day) has he ever suggested a search begin for a new coach.

oak_hill_oaks
Waterboy

Post by oak_hill_oaks »

falconater wrote:If he was told in advance,why is this an issue now? Shouldn't he just choose on job or another?

I believe that is exactly what many people in the district think he should do, in my opinion probably even a majority of the voters. I do know for a fact that many teachers in the district feel he shouldn't be doing both, but obviously it is not likely they will come forward and say so in public.

Interested In All
Riding the Bench

Post by Interested In All »

If Hale isn't allowed to continue which he should be able to there will be a lot of coaches want this team but will they want the pressure of getting them back to the state tournament again

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

i was talking about the boe. but since you brought it up. why did the boe let him do both in the first place? this set a precedent that cannot be overlooked. i dont think anyone here thinks that he wouldnt put academics first or he wouldnt have the super job. what he chooses to do in his spare time is up to him. sounds like the boe wants to make that decision for him.

on another note. i wonder how the players feel about all of this.

i just watched a similiar situation unfold at nelsonville york where the ad was the football coach. guess what, coach boston is still the football coach and ad after about 200 people showed up to the board meeting to express their concerns. that situation was just a bit different than this but needless to say the electorate spoke and the board members heard loud and clear.

i think it was one of coach hales former players that said to the board. you were all elected and you can all be replaced. classic. :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

i just went back read all of the posts. are we really arguing over whether a guy who has a 7 to 3 job can coach one sport on the side. wow, everything must be great in oak hill land if this is the major issue.

oak_hill_oaks
Waterboy

Post by oak_hill_oaks »

qualified101 wrote:i just went back read all of the posts. are we really arguing over whether a guy who has a 7 to 3 job can coach one sport on the side. wow, everything must be great in oak hill land if this is the major issue.

A 7 to 3 job? I don't believe we're talking a 7 to 3 job here. I have spoken Super's from two other districts. One said they never leave before 5, and the other said they average a minimum of 60 hours per week, but normally more. Then there is the issue of required out of town meetings for the Super . What will he do, leave the meeting early to come back and coach? What if it's a game day? Will he just miss the meeting so that he can be there to coach? What if there is a multiple day meeting out of town.........how would you suggest he handle this?

oak_hill_oaks
Waterboy

Post by oak_hill_oaks »

qualified101 wrote:i was talking about the boe. but since you brought it up. why did the boe let him do both in the first place? this set a precedent that cannot be overlooked. i dont think anyone here thinks that he wouldnt put academics first or he wouldnt have the super job. what he chooses to do in his spare time is up to him. sounds like the boe wants to make that decision for him.

on another note. i wonder how the players feel about all of this.

i just watched a similiar situation unfold at nelsonville york where the ad was the football coach. guess what, coach boston is still the football coach and ad after about 200 people showed up to the board meeting to express their concerns. that situation was just a bit different than this but needless to say the electorate spoke and the board members heard loud and clear.

i think it was one of coach hales former players that said to the board. you were all elected and you can all be replaced. classic. :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246

You're correct! Any Board member can be replaced. I believe Mr. French is up for re-election this year, and I for one can guaranty that I will be voting for him and I will do all I can to get others to do so also!

falconater
Freshman Team

Post by falconater »

check how much a superintendent is paid. It is not a 40 hour a week job.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

im guessing about 65k a year in oak hill give or take 5 grand.

like another poster posted earlier, there are always hidden agenda's no matter how miniscule(sp) they might be.

nobody ever answered the question, has he done a good job thus far in the admin area?

it is interesting that with your 6 posts you want mr hale out of the coaching world. perhaps a coach from a rival school? did he pass you over in a job promotion? there is always a reason someone creates an account. what is yours?????????? only time will tell...............

i feel sorry for the players because they are the ones who are really getting the raw deal. :( :( :( :( :(

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Most Superintendent salaries are in the 80,000 to 100,000 range.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

with or without the double dipping?

oak_hill_oaks
Waterboy

Post by oak_hill_oaks »

qualified101 wrote:with or without the double dipping?

http://portal.osba-ohio.org/fmi/iwp/cgi ... loadframes

You can look up salaries at this website, but it shows as around 85,000. I believe this is before coaching, etc. and is probably a year old. Salary may be higher now. I have no hidden agenda as you claim and I have no problems with him coaching. What I want is what I feel is best for the EDUCATION of the students in our district. And my opinion is that we need a Super who is totally focused on doing that job without the distraction of coaching a successful basketball program.

As far as his performance as a Super, it's probably still too early to tell, but I do know that during basketball season he was seen at the high school as early as 2:00 in the afternoon ready to coach. That hardly seems like someone totally dedicated to their job as Super.

whythehale?
Riding the Bench

Post by whythehale? »

People have mentioned the "hidden agenda' of Mr. French and Mrs. Boggs. Does this mean some of you think there is a "hidden agenda" for the two yes votes, Mr. Michael and Mr. Elcess? Does Mr. Elcess truly believe he can do both jobs or just not want to vote against his friend? Is there a reason Mr. Michael would want to align himself with the yes votes to get something later?
I have respect for all four of these individuals and I think they are going to have a tough time. I would like to think that they will do what is best for the students of the school system and not just the basketball team. And if it is so important for Doug to continue to coach (which he will be done in three years anyway) then he can take that job and let them find a super who can be the super. No one is telling him he can not coach. For a man that always told his players no one deserves special treatment, it kind of seems like he is expected to get it now. If this was not THE Doug Hale would there even be a discussion?

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Not to open up even more cans of worms, but when they were in the state playoffs, did they stay in Columbus? If yes, then he missed some days as the Superintendent right there. What if something critical came up the day of their semi final game? Would he leave the team to tend to the matter? I believe many would know the answer to this.

Oak Hill has two really good coaches right now, but how much longer are they going to be there? Maybe it is time to start thinking about the future and get a quality coach in there now that will be there for many years to come.

oak_hill_oaks
Waterboy

Post by oak_hill_oaks »

whythehale? wrote:People have mentioned the "hidden agenda' of Mr. French and Mrs. Boggs. Does this mean some of you think there is a "hidden agenda" for the two yes votes, Mr. Michael and Mr. Elcess? Does Mr. Elcess truly believe he can do both jobs or just not want to vote against his friend? Is there a reason Mr. Michael would want to align himself with the yes votes to get something later?
I have respect for all four of these individuals and I think they are going to have a tough time. I would like to think that they will do what is best for the students of the school system and not just the basketball team. And if it is so important for Doug to continue to coach (which he will be done in three years anyway) then he can take that job and let them find a super who can be the super. No one is telling him he can not coach. For a man that always told his players no one deserves special treatment, it kind of seems like he is expected to get it now. If this was not THE Doug Hale would there even be a discussion?

I guess I have to disagree with part of this. I have no respect for Joe Elcess. As far as the Board goes, in my opinion, he is and has always been just a rubber stamp for anything Doug Hale wants, and has no use for anyone who doesn't go along. As far as Mr. Michael, I sense that he disagrees with Doug coaching and being super, but maybe is giving in to the pressure of the vocal crowd?

ProtecThisHouse
Riding the Bench

Post by ProtecThisHouse »

whythehale? wrote:People have mentioned the "hidden agenda' of Mr. French and Mrs. Boggs. Does this mean some of you think there is a "hidden agenda" for the two yes votes, Mr. Michael and Mr. Elcess? Does Mr. Elcess truly believe he can do both jobs or just not want to vote against his friend? Is there a reason Mr. Michael would want to align himself with the yes votes to get something later?

THE Doug Hale? So you are saying he is something special who has got the job done in the past and has maintained to his efforts and everything he does he gives 110%. Have you people looked at the team lately? It's all the same people from last year who played! Give Doug a year, see how it goes.. and if all "Hale" breaks loose than fire him.. that simple. I highly doubt anything will go wrong or as planned and as for the statement of him missing a day of work for the state tournament. WOW one day? seriously? you people are a little ridiculous and all I can smell is jealousy of how well the girls team is going to do next year and their accomplishments thus far. Whats surprising is the jealousy coming from people in the town of Oak Hill. Let the girls continue winning, what they have worked hard to do all their lives and let them win a state championship this year with the Coach that has been with them all the way through! I don't think it would be the same for the community with a coach moving in that they don't even know and to win a state championship. If it is anybody it should be the man who has helped and gave back to this community all his life. DOUG HALE

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

There's no gurantee they'll win the State this year if he stays or go's.Keep thinking that way though.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

theres no guarantee the sun will come up tomorrow but i'll betcha it does. would you like some odds black panther?

watch your back doug, next thing they'll try to do is take your truck away. :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246

i bet everyone in the league is heaving a big sigh of relief right about now.

i'll let you jackson county folks take it from here. and remember, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245
Last edited by qualified101 on Fri May 22, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Girls Basketball”