Alexander 08-09

Joedirt
Freshman Team

Re: Alexander 08-09

Post by Joedirt »

Maybe this young ladie got burned out playing basketball,happens.Why cry foul at the coach,there may be other issues that know one knows about.Sometimes it would be best to take time off to rethink of whether you want to continue to play ball.Only this young ladie know's.The girls v-ball,basketball progam has become the top dogs at Alex past couple of years because of a good crop of girls and coaches year in year out, so I dont think 1 will make a big difference. 8)

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

I will have to agree with you that this young lady may have decided to just take some time off. Sometimes kids get burnt out on playing sports or they finally get up enough courage to tell their parents(who push them to play) that they are ready to take some time off. Not all kids play because they want. Some are pushed by a parent who wishes they had played sports and want to live their dream through their child. Wrong reason to be playing......

akwhitewater hit the nail on the head when they talked about your job on a team may be to watch and learn but always be ready if the coach calls on you. Many player who sit, are busy watching the student section or complaining that they are not playing and then when they are called upon to go in the game, they have NO CLUE what they are doing. That just goes to show that those who love the sport will give their all even if it is cheering on your team mate who are on the floor. You might be shocked at how much those kids are listening to those sitting on the bench yelling out plays or telling them to watch for a screen, or someone coming up behind them. TEAM PLAYERS will be there until the end. Good luck to the lady spartans. You will be fine this year because those of you who are still playing will LEAVE IT ALL ON THE FLOOR every game you play........

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

Alexander Varsity Basketball (Girls)
2008−2009
Day Date Opponent Place Time
Saturday Nov. 29 Logan Elm High School Alexander High School 3:00PM
Saturday Dec. 06 @ Waterford High School Waterford High School 7:30PM
Monday Dec. 08 @ Meigs High School Meigs High School 7:30PM
Thursday Dec. 11 Belpre High School Alexander High School 7:30PM
Saturday Dec. 13 Hoops vs Riverview Convo 10:45AM
Monday Dec. 15 @ Wellston High School Wellston High School 7:30PM
Thursday Dec. 18 Athens High School Alexander High School 8:00PM
Saturday Dec. 27 @ Capital City Classic AlaskaTBA
Monday Dec. 29 @ Capital City Classic Alaska TBA
Tuesday Dec. 30 @ Capital City Classic AlaskaTBA

Saturday Jan. 10 @ Federal−Hocking High School Federal−Hocking High School 5:00PM
Monday Jan. 12 Vinton County High School Alexander High School 7:30PM
Thursday Jan. 15 @ Nelsonville−York High Sch Nelsonville−York High Sch 7:30PM
Thursday Jan. 22 Meigs High School Alexander High School 7:30PM
Saturday Jan. 24 @ Minford High School Minford High School 2:30PM
Monday Jan. 26 @ Belpre High School Belpre High School 7:30PM
Thursday Jan. 29 Wellston High School Alexander High School 7:30PM
Monday Feb. 02 @ Athens High School Athens High School 8:00PM
Monday Feb. 09 @ Vinton County High School Vinton County High School 7:30PM
Thursday Feb. 12 Nelsonville−York High Sch Alexander High School 7:30PM

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

Admar: Thanks so much for the schedule. I can't wait to see the girls in Alaska. Go Ohio !!! It will be tougher then you think ! Australia has a decent team and Juneau Douglas is no laughing matter. But WOW what an experience. Only wish you could see more of Alaska. Juneau is so so...In my opinion :12222

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

[quote="akwhitewater"]Admar: Thanks so much for the schedule. I can't wait to see the girls in Alaska. Go Ohio !!! It will be tougher then you think ! Australia has a decent team and Juneau Douglas is no laughing matter. But WOW what an experience. Only wish you could see more of Alaska. Juneau is so so...In my opinion

Your very welcome. Figured some people would like to know when we play and who. Would love to be able to travel with the girls to Alaska but afraid the cost is just a little more then we can manage. It will be a great once in a life time experience for the girls.

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

admar wrote:
akwhitewater wrote:Admar: Thanks so much for the schedule. I can't wait to see the girls in Alaska. Go Ohio !!! It will be tougher then you think ! Australia has a decent team and Juneau Douglas is no laughing matter. But WOW what an experience. Only wish you could see more of Alaska. Juneau is so so...In my opinion

Your very welcome. Figured some people would like to know when we play and who. Would love to be able to travel with the girls to Alaska but afraid the cost is just a little more then we can manage. It will be a great once in a life time experience for the girls.

Admar--- just wondering, are you a parent or just a fan?

Akwhitewater--you going with the girls? If so, please keep them safe...long way away from their parents...lol

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

I am just a big supporter of the Alexander Spartans.... I think it would be nice to be able to give the girls some support in Alaska when they make the trip.... it might be hard on some of them being gone from family over the Christmas holiday. I am sure that it would cost a pretty big chunk of money to go there to watch. Maybe if we had a little more of a notice, we could have found a way to support these girls. Good luck Lady Spartans. Wish you a great season and a safe trip to and from Alaska. Does anyone know if they are doing fundraisers to help the team pay for their trip or are they getting donations to help out?

ladyspartanfan
Waterboy

Post by ladyspartanfan »

admar wrote:I am just a big supporter of the Alexander Spartans.... I think it would be nice to be able to give the girls some support in Alaska when they make the trip.... it might be hard on some of them being gone from family over the Christmas holiday. I am sure that it would cost a pretty big chunk of money to go there to watch. Maybe if we had a little more of a notice, we could have found a way to support these girls. Good luck Lady Spartans. Wish you a great season and a safe trip to and from Alaska. Does anyone know if they are doing fundraisers to help the team pay for their trip or are they getting donations to help out?

Hello to all! I am a big supporter of the Alexander Spartans too! The Alaska holiday basketball tournament should be an exciting one for the girls! However, as you stated, it IS expensive. If you are interested in making a donation toward their trip, I'm sure it would reach them by sending it to:
Alexander High School
Attention: Girls Basketball
6125 School Road
Albany, OH 45710

Thank you, in advance, for those that do donate for this once-in-a-lifetime experience for these girls....

I know that there was some discussion of some ideas for fundraising but there has been no time for the girls to work on that as of yet and the date is quickly approaching. If you have some ideas for fundraising, please list them! I'm sure that your ideas will be taken into consideration.

Thank you!

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

Sports Mom09:
You bet I'll be there, this trip has been in the works for years and I can't wait. I am so excited for the girls.... I remember my first trip to Alaska.... you can bet they will be treated like queens in Alaska, I hope they get to get out a little though.. there is so much to see...... GO SPARTANS !!

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

akwhitewater wrote:Sports Mom09:
You bet I'll be there, this trip has been in the works for years and I can't wait. I am so excited for the girls.... I remember my first trip to Alaska.... you can bet they will be treated like queens in Alaska, I hope they get to get out a little though.. there is so much to see...... GO SPARTANS !!

Then I will THANK YOU in advance for taking care of the girls...I am pretty sure that they are going to be able to sightsee some. It is great that the girls get to do something like this. I am sure it will be a trip they will NEVER forget. Thanks again!!!!!

Guards_Win_Games
Waterboy

Post by Guards_Win_Games »

sprt4life - family oriented? Is that politically correctness for "playing his daughter"? He plays who gives 100% even if it means pulling his daughter when necessary..which I have seen him do. Remember...most (good) coaches are harder on their own kid than anyone else.

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

All he does is work on fundamentals and team work. Although he works them hard, he is very dedicated. The things he teaches will go beyond the court in making them a better and stronger person in life.

leadfoot
Waterboy

Post by leadfoot »

Ditto swampfox! Coach Guthrie is one of the most dedicated and most loyal coaches you'll ever meet. Everyone knows he's criticized for being tough on his players but he's respected by his players because they know he wants them to reach their potential on and off the court. Good Luck to the Lady Spartans this season!

BH1
Waterboy

Post by BH1 »

Hate to burst many people's bubbles, but Alex may have more of a struggle going on than some realize. Too many seem to be focusing on 1 player that may not play-however rumor has it that possibly 5 juniors may have decided not to play this year leaving 1 junior(guess who). I wonder if there is any truth to it and what could really be a reason behind it? Time will tell. :oops:

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

BH1 wrote:Hate to burst many people's bubbles, but Alex may have more of a struggle going on than some realize. Too many seem to be focusing on 1 player that may not play-however rumor has it that possibly 5 juniors may have decided not to play this year leaving 1 junior(guess who). I wonder if there is any truth to it and what could really be a reason behind it? Time will tell. :oops:

Seems to me that the Lady Spartans will be just fine. They will be returning Raines, Smith, Pyle, Gutherie, Grinstread, McClain, Daugherty, Radaekin(sp?). The girls from JV team played strong last year. Yea, I have heard that some might not play but those girls must not have their heart into the game. The girls who are still there are winners and they will do well this year. TIME WILL TELL!!!!!!!!! Sit back and watch. Seems like you are trying to cause some trouble and it won't happen. So what if the coaches daughter is the only junior left playing....as you pointed out above... Give it a break. These girls are a great group of kids and they will do just fine with or without the other girls. Open gym turn outs have been great so far and I look for them to just keep growing as the other sports wrap up their seasons. Go ALEX

Quintessential
Waterboy

Post by Quintessential »

Sports Mom -

You go momma...ditto!

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

Will there be enough numbers for Alexander to have a JV team?

BH1
Waterboy

Post by BH1 »

Mom-I wonder why the girls don't have their hearts in it anymore? Almost the entire class of athletes must have heart trouble. It will make it a lot easier in 2 years for senior night. :122246

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

interception wrote:Will there be enough numbers for Alexander to have a JV team?

I do believe there will be plenty of girls to have a JV team. Seems like the numbers at open gym are favorable for that.

BH1 wrote:Mom-I wonder why the girls don't have their hearts in it anymore? Almost the entire class of athletes must have heart trouble. It will make it a lot easier in 2 years for senior night. :122246

Can't answer that question. The girls you are referring to played so great basketball last year and it it there choice to play the sport. Not sure how you can blame a coach for them not playing..Seems those girls got as much playing time if not more playing time then the Varsity girls did. They would play their JV game and then get to play quite a bit in the Varsity games. Didn't seem fair to the Varsity girls to watch JV player get so much playing time but...oh well. The Lady Spartans will be tough again this year and I look sooooo forward to watching them play.

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

look for them to win the TVC ohio if they accquire the baskeball players like they do volleyball haha

Return to “Girls Basketball”