Amy Hughes Back At Ironton?

fightingtigers45
S

Re: Amy Hughes Back At Ironton?

Post by fightingtigers45 »

There is nothing in the rules about discussing rumors.

Youre correct. I said they used to be, but no longer are.

As for the coach bashing a poster stated an opinion that hardly qualifies as bashing.

Saying someone is terrible isnt bashing? Is this a serious statement?

In the original post, this question was asked:

Does anyone know if this is true?

I have replied no. And I think that this should be taken down because it will lead to the further spread of rumors. It, in my opinion, is opening a can of worms that needs to not be opened. That is the only reason it should be taken down.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Pepsiman wrote:This is a discussion board,the question has been asked and if members want to discuss it then so be it.
I don't think it is up to you to say what can and cannot be discussed.

Amen Pepsi!

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

We are stating our coaching opinions.

People state things about coaches, doctors, lawyers, etc. being terrible all the time.

That isn't bashing the person.

If specific things are said, that would be bashing.

It seems to me that you are scared that other people feel the same way I do.

I can tell you that it is true. I have received several PM's from people who feel the same way.

I don't like him as a coach. My opinion on a chat board is all it is. So what?

If he remains the coach, good for him.

I just hope he changes some things because many people are watching.

I want to see good representation for our school system from all people involved with it.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

fightingtigers45 wrote:
There is nothing in the rules about discussing rumors.

Youre correct. I said they used to be, but no longer are.

As for the coach bashing a poster stated an opinion that hardly qualifies as bashing.

Saying someone is terrible isnt bashing? Is this a serious statement?

In the original post, this question was asked:

Does anyone know if this is true?

I have replied no. And I think that this should be taken down because it will lead to the further spread of rumors. It, in my opinion, is opening a can of worms that needs to not be opened. That is the only reason it should be taken down.

You replied no and that makes it right?

It is your opinion too.

It is fine for you to state your opinion just as we are able to state ours.

Pepsiman
JV Team

Post by Pepsiman »

[quote="The Instructor"
You replied no and that makes it right?

It is your opinion too.

It is fine for you to state your opinion just as we are able to state ours.[/quote]

I agree with you!!! Very good points.

What I cannot figure out is why someone would bring up a rule that they know doesn't exist.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Thanks Pepsi.... :122245

Interested In All
Riding the Bench

Post by Interested In All »

Graham has done a pretty good job. He hasn't hurt the program any. Amy had a lot of talent when she was there. Far more than Graham has had.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

This should clear things up.
From the Chillicothe Gazette, May 8, 2009

Lady Cavs' Hughes hangs it up
Plans to shift focus from hoops to administration

BY PHIL GRAY
Gazette Sports Writer

After 46 wins in three years at Chillicothe and nine total seasons spent on the sideline, Chillicothe girls basketball coach Amy Hughes is hanging it up.

Hughes made it official Tuesday by handing in her letter of resignation to the Chillicothe school board. But for Hughes - the fiery girls coach who has stomped up and down the Cavs' sideline for the past three seasons (and at Ironton before that; and at Rock Hill before that) - this decision had very little to do with basketball.

Instead, it's a move designed for Hughes to focus on her career as a school administrator.

"I definitely want to thank the administration - the principal, the athletic director - and the school system of the teachers and the kids," Hughes said. "And the community. The fans here are awesome. I think you've seen some incredible crowds out there, and that's been fun.

"And maybe No. 1 for me is to thank the Board of Education. They brought me here and they've been supportive and I absolutely love working for them. I've worked at three separate school systems, and the board at Chillicothe is pretty awesome."

"It's a disappointment to lose Amy, but I understand - and I think the board understands - where she's coming from," said Chillicothe board member Steve Mullins. "She's been very honest all along that her career goal is clearly through the administrative ranks. And even though I think Chillicothe is in the minority in that we don't have a policy that you can't be a coach and an administrator, I understand for her that there are so many things you have to go through to be an administrator - so many classes you have to take and everything else. We don't want to lose her, but I think we understand how she feels."

When she was hired in 2006, Hughes inherited a Lady Cavs program that had won just 10 games in the previous three years combined. Since Hughes took over the program, Chillicothe has averaged more than 15 wins per season. She leaves after having helped two athletes - Megan Lee and Hannah Day - to basketball scholarships, and after having won two SEOAL South Division championships.

"When she came in here, Amy Hughes was an easy hire," Mullins said. "In Southern Ohio, the Hughes name is synonymous with girls basketball, so when we started thinking about who to bring in, it was an easy choice. We wanted somebody to come in here and not just bring in winning. We knew we had a lot of talent - boys and girls - walking around the halls at Chillicothe. But we wanted to establish winning the right way. And Amy Hughes won the right way."

Hughes will remain in her post as coordinator of pupil services/attendance at CHS, and has no immediate plans to leave.

Still - for now - the pull of an administrator's post is bigger than that of basketball.

"In my mind - maybe it's generic or cliché-ish or whatever, but as a coach you help 20 or 25 girls basketball players every year," Hughes said. "But what could you do for a high school or a junior high of 400? Or 800? How many people could you really help? It's exciting to me."

(Gray can be reached at 772-9302 or via e-mail at pagray@chillicothegazette.com)

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Thanks for the post, WitnessProtection.

I hate to see her not coach. She is too good at it.

Maybe, she will change her mind at some point.

I heard that she interviewed for the position of assistant principal at Ironton.

I wish her well in all that she decides to do.

slamdunk
Varsity

Post by slamdunk »

The Instructor wrote:If he remains the coach, good for him.

I want to see good representation for our school system from all people involved with it.

Wow! People are watching?? Never would have guessed that people are watching a basketball team and its' coach in action.

As I said before, Coach Graham seems like GREAT representation for a school!

Let coaches do their jobs! Coach Graham has done a good one at Ironton!

philthyphil
Varsity

Post by philthyphil »

The above article is over a month old and things can easily change in that length of time.

Did our beloved Tribune sports writer not just state earlier this week that she had applied for the Assistant Principal job at Ironton?

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

So how does applying for an assistant principal's job have anything to do with the girl's basketball coaching job?
The article did state that she wanted to pursue an administrator's job.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

You are exactly right, Philthyphil. ;-)

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

slamdunk wrote:
The Instructor wrote:If he remains the coach, good for him.

Wow! People are watching?? Never would have guessed that people are watching a basketball team and its' coach in action.

As I said before, Coach Graham seems like GREAT representation for a school!

Let coaches do their jobs! Coach Graham has done a good one at Ironton!

BURP!

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

WitnessProtection wrote:This should clear things up.
From the Chillicothe Gazette, May 8, 2009

Lady Cavs' Hughes hangs it up
Plans to shift focus from hoops to administration

BY PHIL GRAY
Gazette Sports Writer

After 46 wins in three years at Chillicothe and nine total seasons spent on the sideline, Chillicothe girls basketball coach Amy Hughes is hanging it up.

Hughes made it official Tuesday by handing in her letter of resignation to the Chillicothe school board. But for Hughes - the fiery girls coach who has stomped up and down the Cavs' sideline for the past three seasons (and at Ironton before that; and at Rock Hill before that) - this decision had very little to do with basketball.

Instead, it's a move designed for Hughes to focus on her career as a school administrator.

"I definitely want to thank the administration - the principal, the athletic director - and the school system of the teachers and the kids," Hughes said. "And the community. The fans here are awesome. I think you've seen some incredible crowds out there, and that's been fun.

"And maybe No. 1 for me is to thank the Board of Education. They brought me here and they've been supportive and I absolutely love working for them. I've worked at three separate school systems, and the board at Chillicothe is pretty awesome."

"It's a disappointment to lose Amy, but I understand - and I think the board understands - where she's coming from," said Chillicothe board member Steve Mullins. "She's been very honest all along that her career goal is clearly through the administrative ranks. And even though I think Chillicothe is in the minority in that we don't have a policy that you can't be a coach and an administrator, I understand for her that there are so many things you have to go through to be an administrator - so many classes you have to take and everything else. We don't want to lose her, but I think we understand how she feels."

When she was hired in 2006, Hughes inherited a Lady Cavs program that had won just 10 games in the previous three years combined. Since Hughes took over the program, Chillicothe has averaged more than 15 wins per season. She leaves after having helped two athletes - Megan Lee and Hannah Day - to basketball scholarships, and after having won two SEOAL South Division championships.

"When she came in here, Amy Hughes was an easy hire," Mullins said. "In Southern Ohio, the Hughes name is synonymous with girls basketball, so when we started thinking about who to bring in, it was an easy choice. We wanted somebody to come in here and not just bring in winning. We knew we had a lot of talent - boys and girls - walking around the halls at Chillicothe. But we wanted to establish winning the right way. And Amy Hughes won the right way."

Hughes will remain in her post as coordinator of pupil services/attendance at CHS, and has no immediate plans to leave.

Still - for now - the pull of an administrator's post is bigger than that of basketball.

"In my mind - maybe it's generic or cliché-ish or whatever, but as a coach you help 20 or 25 girls basketball players every year," Hughes said. "But what could you do for a high school or a junior high of 400? Or 800? How many people could you really help? It's exciting to me."

(Gray can be reached at 772-9302 or via e-mail at pagray@chillicothegazette.com)

Read some of the posts at the top of the page.She was not happy.And I concure...She was not happy last year.Either way...she'll be back someday because coaching is her passion you can see it in her eyes.But she also wants to help the kids to be sucessful adults...

Blu_n_Whyt
Freshman Team

Post by Blu_n_Whyt »

To return to Ironton is just "hopeful" speculation, right? I think she needs to be allowed some time away from the game to adjust to what she says is her real passion, becoming a principal.

We don't mind that being in the Chillicothe system, but if it ends up being closer to the 'burg, then so be it.

Any coach who's had her type of drive and success, but has determined to step into administration, has had to make the tough decision to leave coaching behind.

If that's brought to the table as an administrator, then the whole school system can benefit.

Who doesn't love seeing the coach prowl the sideline of competition, especially when it's done with great command.

Unfortuantely, we don't get as excited about seeing the same from an administrator. I guess because (after having seen the coach in action) we think they've been "put out to pasture".

I support and applaud her effort in making the switch. But if the itch to coach returns, I wish her well, wherever it is. She's been a blessing to know!

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

Blu_n_Whyt wrote:To return to Ironton is just "hopeful" speculation, right? I think she needs to be allowed some time away from the game to adjust to what she says is her real passion, becoming a principal.

We don't mind that being in the Chillicothe system, but if it ends up being closer to the 'burg, then so be it.

Any coach who's had her type of drive and success, but has determined to step into administration, has had to make the tough decision to leave coaching behind.

If that's brought to the table as an administrator, then the whole school system can benefit.

Who doesn't love seeing the coach prowl the sideline of competition, especially when it's done with great command.

Unfortuantely, we don't get as excited about seeing the same from an administrator. I guess because (after having seen the coach in action) we think they've been "put out to pasture".

I support and applaud her effort in making the switch. But if the itch to coach returns, I wish her well, wherever it is. She's been a blessing to know!
Blu_n_Whyt wrote:To return to Ironton is just "hopeful" speculation, right? I think she needs to be allowed some time away from the game to adjust to what she says is her real passion, becoming a principal.

From what I hear no it's not just hopeful specualtion.And the greater question is why didn't she take a admin job in the Chilly system and continue to coach? She could have...But she was quoted as saying they had the rule where admin cant coach and clearly they dont...The Allen principal job was open, she could have taken that and continued coaching if she really wanted to stay in Chilly....

Interested In All
Riding the Bench

I don't believe she has been interviewed for the principals job at Ironton nor will she be hired. just what has been said and heard

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

Interested In All wrote:I don't believe she has been interviewed for the principals job at Ironton nor will she be hired. just what has been said and heard

We'll see...

Interested In All
Riding the Bench

I think u r wrong. Won't happen

Return to “Girls Basketball”