Doug Hale remains head coach, now hired as principal of OHHS

MightyOaksFan
SE

Re: Doug Hale's Reign as Head Coach

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Anyone know how the new board member is appointed?

The Exciting One
Riding the Bench

Post by The Exciting One »

Sounds like allot of jealousy and a few agendas by a couple of board members. It's like anything else in this day and age, the majority does not matter any longer. It seems the vocal minority is all that counts. What a shame! I hope a few bitter people do not get their way and make a huge mistake.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

The Exciting One wrote:Sounds like allot of jealousy and a few agendas by a couple of board members. It's like anything else in this day and age, the majority does not matter any longer. It seems the vocal minority is all that counts. What a shame! I hope a few bitter people do not get their way and make a huge mistake.

I completely disagree with that statement!! I do believe admin. can do both and should do both if they are doing the educational part first!! I believe if you would compare salaries for both jobs then you would take the superintendents. The second thing, and I know this is a girls basketball forum, but nothing on here is being talked about education. Shouldn't that be number #1? I think it is funny to read about a 2 1/2 hour executive session over a coach. Now that is the day and time we live in.

shakennotstirred
Waterboy

Post by shakennotstirred »

usually, there are small town politics at work when it comes to situations like this. did either of the dissenting board members have a child that played for coach hale? that would be mighty interesting if so. :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246

godsgeneral
Freshman Team

Post by godsgeneral »

MightyOaksFan wrote:Anyone know how the new board member is appointed?

I don't believe there is a set procedural method that a board has to use to fill a vacancy in its membership unless OH has a policy stating the procedure. Otherwise, they may choose how they want to solicit candidates for the open position and may even accept written applications. They must, however, decide on a new candidate within 30 days to fill the position or it will be filled by the county's probate court.

The new member must be voted in by majority vote of the remaining members.

minford101
Waterboy

Post by minford101 »

I think this is all crazy. If it is a rule then it is a rule and he shouldnt be aloud to coach. Because when they made this rule all the board members voted on it and it became. So why are they wanting to change there mind now, just because its Doug Hale!! I know Doug is a great coach but if its a rule then he should pick one or the other.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

i dont think its a rule yet. i think it is something they are considering implementing. i could be wrong. the two that are against it must not like their board seats. a "no" vote would pretty much guarantee not getting re-elected.

there is one thing that is puzzling. these board members are elected officials which mean they represent the people. judging by the turnout and the people that were willing to speak at the meeting, one would think that it is the will of the people who this board serves to keep mr hale as super and coach. the last time i checked, we still live in a democracy. jmho. :)

minford101
Waterboy

Post by minford101 »

There was a lot of people at the meeting for him, but if you would look around all those people were there just for basketball! not many of them where there thinking about the kids education!! Which is more important, or at least should be in Oak Hill. And the rule was made a few years ago, so I think they should stick to it!! Coach Hale is a Great coach, but in my opinion I think he should pick one of the jobs!

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

I agree, pick one or the other.If it's the coaching job he keeps i'm sure he could still be hired as a teacher or something in the Oak Hill system.Coaching is basically a full time job in itself but the salary level is'nt.So he would have to have something else.If he keeps the Super job,he'll have to bite the bullett as many other fine coaches have and give it up.

proudoak
Waterboy

Post by proudoak »

I don't think there is any "hidden agenda" from the 2 board members that are not in favor of him trying to do both jobs. Neither has a child or relative (that I know of) that are former players. One has a younger child and in-laws that are teachers and the other is a retired Oak Hill principal that has 2 older sons. Matter of fact, I think they both probably like Doug and they must feel he is the right man to lead the school, it would be hard to find someone that doesn't like Doug. He is a nice guy, good coach, and will most likely be a great super but I think Oak Hill needs a full time administrator. They are going thru some major changes and they used to have an assist. super and super. Now did away with the assistant job and just have a superintendent. He will really be covering 2 jobs. You have seen how crazy Oak Hill basketball fans are and that is how some of them (not all) acted at the board meeting. They are concerned about the basketball program and I know I would not want to stand up to them. It would be a difficult thing to do but if you are a school board member you have to have the best interest of ALL the students and the majority of students do not play sports. As for the 2 board members that are in favor of him keeping both jobs, I know one is a best friend of Dougs and I'm not sure about they other, but they both have wives that are teachers. I am sure that all involved feel they are doing what is best but I hope they put education at the TOP

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

As Mike Vick should have said I don't have a dog in this fight. It would seem to me that the BOE is trying to tell Mr. Hale what he should be doing in his spare time. Neither the super. job nor the coaching job is a 9 to 5 job
They both involve travel, odd hours, long hours, etc. It would seem that a person who was organized and had a good support staff could be successful at both jobs. The fact that Mr. Hale was an administrator (Asst. Super) before should be looked at, and his evaluations in both jobs should be considered. What I read that I don't like in these posts is the implied opinions that just because someone is a coach means that education doesn't come first. If the coach is a teacher does that mean they don't put education first in their classroom?
Just my thoughts.

falconater
Freshman Team

Post by falconater »

I don't see how you can be a part time superintendent and also supervise yourself, but here is the bigger question: wasn't this discussed with Mr Hale by the Board when they appointed him superintendent? If not, why not? It seems like this issue could have easily been forseen.

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

Why would he be a part time super.? While he is on call 24/7 that dosen't mean he actually works 24/7. Again is a teacher who coaches a part time teacher? As far as him supervising himself as a coach. Is a coach's record not part of his evaluation? Is the number of partcipants a part of the evaluation? Does he follow the rules set by the BOE as far as purchases in regards to Girls BB? Even though the Super. is the Big Guy as far as personnel is concerned it is the BOE who hires and fires no matter if it is the super. or a substitute custodian.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

it would appear that a precedent has already been set. mr hale was asst super which i think would be an admin job the same as super would be. he was allowed to coach while holding this admin job. whats the difference besides a little more work. if the board was willing to overlook the rule while mr hale was asst super then why the big deal now?

does anyone know whether this was a rule already or whether they are voting make this a rule? there is a big difference. someone has to know the answer to this. thx in advance.

oak_hill_oaks
Waterboy

Post by oak_hill_oaks »

falconater wrote:I don't see how you can be a part time superintendent and also supervise yourself, but here is the bigger question: wasn't this discussed with Mr Hale by the Board when they appointed him superintendent? If not, why not? It seems like this issue could have easily been forseen.

As far as I know he was informed in December that he did not have support to do both jobs on a permanent basis, hence the hiring as interim Super.

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

Has the man done both jobs well since December? If so why would you want to change. If he falters then the BOE should step in.

oak_hill_oaks
Waterboy

Post by oak_hill_oaks »

proudoak wrote:I don't think there is any "hidden agenda" from the 2 board members that are not in favor of him trying to do both jobs. Neither has a child or relative (that I know of) that are former players. One has a younger child and in-laws that are teachers and the other is a retired Oak Hill principal that has 2 older sons. Matter of fact, I think they both probably like Doug and they must feel he is the right man to lead the school, it would be hard to find someone that doesn't like Doug. He is a nice guy, good coach, and will most likely be a great super but I think Oak Hill needs a full time administrator. They are going thru some major changes and they used to have an assist. super and super. Now did away with the assistant job and just have a superintendent. He will really be covering 2 jobs. You have seen how crazy Oak Hill basketball fans are and that is how some of them (not all) acted at the board meeting. They are concerned about the basketball program and I know I would not want to stand up to them. It would be a difficult thing to do but if you are a school board member you have to have the best interest of ALL the students and the majority of students do not play sports. As for the 2 board members that are in favor of him keeping both jobs, I know one is a best friend of Dougs and I'm not sure about they other, but they both have wives that are teachers. I am sure that all involved feel they are doing what is best but I hope they put education at the TOP

Well said proudoak. Here is a link to the Ohio School Board Code of Ethics.

http://osba-ohio.org/code.htm

Note that is starts out stating a Board members responsibility to improve education. Also note the first bullet point which says a Member's first and greatest concern must be the educational welfare of ALL students. I do believe that is what Mr. French and Mrs. Boggs are trying to do, but for standing up for their beliefs they were treated terribly by certain individuals during and after the meeting. Also note the bullet point "Render all decisions based on the available facts and my independent judgment rather than succumbing to the influence of individuals or special interest groups" Once again, it would appear to me that is exactly what those two members are doing.

JMHO

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

blockcharge wrote:Has the man done both jobs well since December? If so why would you want to change. If he falters then the BOE should step in.

this is a great question?

another question. who would take the coaching job now? people loyal to coach hale probably wouldnt do it for their own reasons and can you imagine if they brought in an outsider. WOW!

why wait until now to decide this? open gyms are in full effect all around. this should have been put to bed months ago. nothing like the boe procrastinating.
Last edited by qualified101 on Fri May 22, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

falconater
Freshman Team

Post by falconater »

If he was told in advance,why is this an issue now? Shouldn't he just choose on job or another?

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

Good point. Unwritten rule of coaching "Never be the man who follows the MAN"

Return to “Girls Basketball”