Pay to park-JacksonHS

bballfool
Freshman Team

Re: Pay to park-JacksonHS

Post by bballfool »

I don't think it is so much the price, I think it is the fact that the schools are funded by the tax payers and here we are paying again to use our facilities. Believe me I complaine more about the 64.5% of my property taxes going to schools that they then feel they need two more dollars....

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Well, with the direction of this thread, I thought I would break out my story which appeared in last weekend's (Feb. 22) edition of The Times-Journal prior to the games at Jackson HS, which began last Monday.

Pay close attention to Mr. Howard's comments in the middle of the story and about the parking fee.

My guess is that many of the same people complaining about $2 parking didn't think twice about shelling out $25 or more for a nice meal at Dakota's either. That I find funny.

Oh well. And jackson1 is right. For those that made it there, get ready to shell out $5 to park at the Convo plus their concession prices.

JHS ready for full week of tourney games

By PAUL BOGGS

Sports Editor

The Jackson High School gymnasium will serve as Basketball Central this week.

Beginning on Monday, and concluding next Saturday night, Jackson High School will be hosting boys and girls basketball tournament tilts as the Ohio High School Athletic Association postseason pushes into full throttle.

For the second straight season, and the third in the five-year history of the new Jackson High School, the gym will host the 14-team Division III boys basketball sectional.

In addition, on Thursday night (Feb. 26) and Saturday afternoon (Feb. 28), the Division IV girls district tournament will take place at JHS.

The Division IV girls district tournament has been held at Jackson for all five years of the new school’s existence.

The week-long string of games tips off on Monday, beginning at 6:15 p.m.

Jackson City Schools Superintendent Phil Howard, in an interview on Tuesday, said Jackson High School is once again proud to host a full week of a February frenzy of tournament games.

“The biggest thing we get out of this is knowing we’re providing a service to the business community of Jackson,” said Howard. “The Division III boys sectional tournament that we have is 14 teams. A lot of those teams are coming from around the Ironton area or the Athens area. There’s going to be a lot of people here every night. Then we have eight teams in the girls Division IV district tournament. And they bring in a lot of people too. We expect good crowds all week, and hopefully the people that come will stop in town and eat and buy gas and even shop.”

The boys sectional semifinals are on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, with the first game each night starting at 6:15 p.m., followed by the nightcap at 8 p.m.

On Friday night, there will be two sectional championship games, beginning at 6 p.m. with top-seeded Chesapeake facing the winner of Monday’s River Valley-Belpre bout.

At 8:30 p.m, second-seeded Alexander will face the winner of Monday’s second matchup — Coal Grove and Nelsonville-York.

The gymnasium will be cleared in between games on Friday night.

Fans will need to purchase a second ticket if they wish to see both games.

On Saturday night, the semifinal winners from Tuesday and Wednesday’s games will return for a pair of sectional championships.

Tuesday’s winners will tip off at 5 p.m., followed by Wednesday’s winners tipping off at 8 p.m.

The second game on Tuesday night involves Wellston, which faces Fairland with an 8 p.m. tipoff time.

All of the sectional tournament winners advance to the Division III district tournament at the Ohio University Convocation Center in Athens.

So too will the Division IV girls semifinal winners, but not before the four semifinals themselves covering Thursday night and Saturday afternoon.

For the past four seasons, two girls district championship games were held at Jackson High School.

But this season, the girls — in all divsions — will play their district finals at the Convocation Center.

On Thursday night, two semifinals will be held at 6:15 p.m. and 8 p.m., as Portsmouth Clay and Franklin Furnace Green are two of the teams which will be in Jackson.

Portsmouth Clay and Green gained sectional championship victories on Thursday night.

So too did New Boston and Meigs Eastern, as they will be in seperate action in Satuday’s semifinals.

Eastern will play at high noon in Jackson, followed by New Boston’s game at 1:30 p.m.

Prior to the boys sectional championship games that night, the gymnasium — like Friday night — will be cleared.

While Jackson does get to showcase its sparkling facilities, as it does in hosting OHSAA football playoff games in November, Howard cautioned that “we gain very little financially off the entire event, other than just knowing that we’re able to provide and give something back to the business community which does a lot of things for us throughout the course of the entire year.”

As is the case with the football playoff games, the OHSAA pays Jackson a rental fee per night for use of the host site.

Howard said that rental fee this year is $300 per night, which basically covers expenses such as electricity, water, custodial responsibilities and security.

Other personnel include scorekeepers and, of course, game officials.

“The OHSAA does pay for the cost of putting on the event. All of those expenses, we turn in and are reimbursed by the state for that. But it’s like the football scenario,” he said. “It’s a lot of work for our people and we don’t make anything off of this.”

Which is a primary reason, Howard continued, “why the parking fee is important to us.”

All season long, all vehicles which did not display a Jackson winter sports parking pass were charged a $2 fee to park on Jackson City School District property.

The $2 parking fee remains in effect for all nights this week, as in order to charge for parking for OHSAA tournament games, Jackson had to charge to park during the regular season.

Howard said the $2 parking fee, which was also in effect for all home football games this past season, has generated “in excess of $14,000 this year so far.”

“We will generate money from the parking for our athletic fund,” he said.

The Jackson athletic support groups make money off concessions.

Speaking of food and drink, McDonald’s and Pepsi are the two major corporate sponsors for the week.

Other than that, Jackson merely serves this week as a fantastic facility for 22 teams playing 14 basketball games over a span of six days.

“These games generate a lot of traffic here in Jackson,” said Howard. “And we do have beautiful facilities, which we always like to showcase to other people throughout Southeastern Ohio.”

Tickets for the boys sectional games are $5 per person, while admission into the district tournament games is $6 per person.

Jackson High School does not keep the gate reciepts from the games.

In addition, Howard said any athletic passes — such as league passes, the Ironmen pass or the Jackson winter sports parking pass — will not be honored.

“The passes will not be accepted,” he said. “These are OHSAA sanctioned-events.”

Which still bring in quite the crowds.

For the two football playoff games in November, an estimated 15,000 people descended upon Jackson on one weekend.

While the basketball games are spread out over the course of a week, Howard — the former successful head boys basketball coach at both Piketon and Western — said “tournament time always brings people out.”

“People come for tournament games who haven’t been to a game all year long,” he said. “You have people attending these games that may not have a team playing in them. They are just basketball fans. Weather permitting, we should have some good crowds and good games.”

With that, let the games begin at Jackson High School.

Wellston will also host

Wellston High School is also a host site for tournament basketball.

While Wellston wrapped up its hosting of a nine-team Division III girls sectional on Saturday, it shifts gears to the Division IV boys sectional beginning Monday.

In fact, the winner of Monday’s first game between South Gallia and Ironton St. Joseph will take on the Oak Hill Oaks for the sectional championship on Tuesday, March 3.

There are two semifinals on Monday, followed by four sectional championships spanning Monday, March 2 and Tuesday, March 3.

The top-seeded Oaks will play at 6:15 p.m. at Wellston High School that day.

As always, the scores and schedule for all of the boys and girls Southeast District tournament games can be found in the SportsBoard section of The Jackson County Times-Journal.

sports@timesjournal.com

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

This makes the third time you've had to it this year,right?? lol

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Third time what?

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Keyser_soze78 wrote:Third time what?

To post your story up about the parking charge.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

This was actually a different story. This one focused on the tournament games being hosted by Jackson last week. But the parking fee needed to be included in it.

I had a professor winter quarter my freshman year at Ohio University for Philosophy 101. His name was Dr. Zucker. Good teacher. 9 a.m. class five days a week in Morton Hall 201. Big lecture hall. He always said "Repetition is the key to learning." That applies in this case.

lady_oaks_fan3362
JV Team

Post by lady_oaks_fan3362 »

lovin' every minute of it wrote:our kids already pay to play.

really???????????? Where do your kids attend school?

lovin' every minute of it
Riding the Bench

Post by lovin' every minute of it »

Reedsville Eastern. Always have paid to play.

lady_oaks_fan3362
JV Team

Post by lady_oaks_fan3362 »

lovin' every minute of it wrote:Reedsville Eastern. Always have paid to play.

I am surprised to hear that. What does the school do with the money they make at your sporting events?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

ocho stinko wrote:You can charge for parking during tourney if you have done it all year. My little child knows that. Go ahead and be little cry babies and call OHSAA, they will tell you babies the same thing. Plus, Jackson does not set the ticket prices nor do they get the money. If two dollars break you up then maybe you need to get a better job. Most district games that I have gone to especially the convo charges for parking. Why can't Jackson charge for parking while holding a district game? At least the money goes to high school athletes. I think the Scioto County people need to crawl back in their holes. I bet more schools do the same next year and it will be more than 2 dollars. Signs of the times, I am not crazy about it but 2 dollars come on folks you really are cry babies.

why dont you point out all the scioto county people thats crying about this on this thread??

besides me, and I was :lol: :lol:

if I was crying,I would have went on about how it cost you 2.50 for a pepsi,,,,thats in a 6 ounce bottle. :lol: :lol:,,,and I wouldnt even mind that, but you cant take any of it inside to enjoy,while you watch the game :122246 :lol: :lol:

like posted above,,,doesnt matter, if MY team was playing I would pay.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

jackson1 wrote:Wow, this is a crazy thread. It costs money to host a tourney. If your team made it to the Convo get ready to pay $5 to park next Saturday. Also checkout the Convo concession prices.

I can't understand some people. Jackson provided a nice facility to play the games. The city has areas to eat before and after the games and some people go off about two dollars.

This is true. Jackson has great places to eat and great places to fill up the car with gas. Since the visiting teams are pumping so much into the local economy, maybe the business association could make a donation to the school, so their "consumers" dont get charged there too.
Again, if it costs so much that the school has to charge to park, why put in to host? The OHSAA pays a rental fee for the gym, doesnt that fee include the parking lot?

i guess if i were the local business association president, i would want people leaving Jackson talking about the great steak they had or the kind and friendly people of Jackson....maybe the great facilities at jackson. i wouldnt want them leaving town complaining about a fee, that shouldnt have been imposed.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Want some Cheese with that Whine?

If you really want to complain about being fleeced you need to be writing your Congressman about what's going on in this country!

$2.00 wow, some of you smoke that or chew that in an hour!

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

Pol Pot wrote:Want some Cheese with that Whine?

If you really want to complain about being fleeced you need to be writing your Congressman about what's going on in this country!

hope everyone in Jackson Ohio, is not as big a _ _ _, as you are.

I bet, since they dont give you any kind of ticket, ALL the money doesnt make it up the hill.

maybe thats why some folks are upset, that so many is complaining :mrgreen:

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

I write my congressman, Senator and Governor regularly. As for whining, no whining here. i dont mind paying it. the point is that the OHSAA pays jackson to use the facility. The city profits big time by incoming revenue. Jackson, like others knows that parents and grandparents are going to come watch no matter how much it costs.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

its not the $$...what bothers me is the fact Jackson HS didnt inform the schools playing that they would be charging for parking...it would have been nice to at least know...i know OU charges...it is expected...didnt see it coming at jackson

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

sportsfan43 wrote:

hope everyone in Jackson Ohio, is not as big a _ _ _, as you are.

I bet, since they dont give you any kind of ticket, ALL the money doesnt make it up the hill.

maybe thats why some folks are upset, that so many is complaining :mrgreen:

i know that mostly if not always it is parents collecting the parking fees. my guess is that the money is making it up the hill.
cant believe so many are complaining about $2 charge for parking. if that is hurting you that bad maybe you should consider staying home and saving your money on gas, tix, concession, program and etc.... also.

as for some complaining bout their taxes paying for usage fee... shouldnt we have free admission to all games also???? just thought i'd ask.

........ and pol pot... quit being an *** :122246 :lol:

given my choice i would prefer not to park also but if the school chooses to charge for parking i will pay it and go on.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

Some people are fools. First pop was a dollar at the tourney for a can. During football games it is 2 dollars for a 16 ounce (a little steep but not insane), and not 2.50 for 6ounces. Just foolishness and jealousy. So many fools think they know so much.

1 dollar for a can of pop.
2 dollars for parking.
listening to cry babies complain about 2 dollar parking priceless!!!!!!!!

OHSAA does give some money for use of the gym but it still does not cover all of the costs. Boring arguing with people that no so little. OHSAA expects schools to make money from concessions and yes even 2 dollar parking. BOO HOO a box of tissues for your tears is more than 2 bucks!

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

ocho stinko wrote:Some people are fools. First pop was a dollar at the tourney for a can. During football games it is 2 dollars for a 16 ounce (a little steep but not insane), and not 2.50 for 6ounces. Just foolishness and jealousy. So many fools think they know so much.

2 dollars for parking.

OHSAA does give some money for use of the gym but it still does not cover all of the costs. Boring arguing with people that no so little. OHSAA expects schools to make money from concessions and yes even 2 dollar parking. BOO HOO a box of tissues for your tears is more than 2 bucks!

you really should PAY for more of the stuff you eat or drink, then you would know what YOU are talking about :mrgreen:

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

Prove me wrong! You can't because you have no idea.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

ocho stinko wrote:Some people are fools. First pop was a dollar at the tourney for a can. During football games it is 2 dollars for a 16 ounce (a little steep but not insane), and not 2.50 for 6ounces. Just foolishness and jealousy. So many fools think they know so much.

2 dollars for parking.

Again, if Jackson cannot cover costs, dont host the tourny. Noone twists arms here. As for boring arguing with us, you must really be bored.

Return to “Girls Basketball”