Recruiting

ocho stinko
JV Team

Re: Recruiting

Post by ocho stinko »

Wooden,
I totally agree with you.

Qualified: I agree college coaches move on but players know it is a business. I think high school is different though or should be.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

its not all that different anymore. anytime a student can benefit from transferring from one school to another, go for it. its your life and live it like you want to.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Wooden- So with your 100 mile rule, players wouldn't be able to transfer to a school across the same town, correct? But, what if there are such extreme differences between a coach and player, that they can not co-exist?

BigOfaN
Waterboy

Post by BigOfaN »

buckfan84 wrote:Since we are not talking about any school in particular, what would you say about an exceptional athlete that may have a future in their sport and the school system is not providing the best coaching staff? Again, I am not talking about any school in particular. Just a hypothetical.

Or if the Coach is not treating their athletes very well, should they be able to go play somewhere else or just give up playing all together.
I guess it depends if its your child, or your the player having to deal with it.

I'm guessing we'll hear, just deal with it and stay LOYAL?

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

I don't think teaching your kid to run away from their problems is the answer. A coach and their players are never going to agree on everything. Your school is your home. Are you going to leave your home because your kid does'nt get along with their coach. What is funny to me is I never see anyone leaving because of the education factor. Is that not what should come first. As a parent that is my main concern. I think we got to many parents thinking their kids are all stars. If your kid is a all star they will get noticed no matter what team they are on.Stay at your own school. It's not college.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

I agree with wooden.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

Packing up and moving so you kid can play somewhere else is a joke. It just solidifies the thought that some kids have, and that is the world revolves around them. It really is a terrible lesson to teach your kids, that when times are tough for your friends and teammates, leave them behind for greener pastures instead of helping them out.

Ocho, with those thoughts and beliefs I have no doubt that your child/children will be fine in life, loyalty can go a long way.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

There are many life lessons out here. Loyalty would be one. In the end I am going to do what I think is best for my child.
That is where my loyalty lies.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

md
Are you saying that moving them so they can play a sport somewhere else is what is best for your kid? Am I reading that right? If I am, that is the completely wrong reason to move a kid out of a school and district. If the school offers nothing educationally then that is another thing, but sports is NO reason to move your kid. Like Ocho said, if they are good enough they will make the team better and they will get the recognition they deserve.

qualified,
You made a good point about coaches moving around. It made me think, which is scary, but what happened to Boston College's head football coach when he did not show loyalty to his school and interviewed for the Jets job? That's right he was fired. Good for BC, I hope this becomes a trend.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

KYR: I did not mention anything about sports or anything implied. Loyalty was the question. Very simply I am going to do what I THINK is best for my child. I optimal word here is I THINK. I am just applying that rationale to all aspects of her/his upbringing.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

KYR: Side note. By the way Logan girls play at Jackson tonight. 24th.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

i think i love you gahs. you pretty much said what i was thinking only you put it into words alot better than I. great points on all of them.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

GAME TIME:::::

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

yep, safe travels everyone!

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

md2020
Thanks for the information on the game, I will be there tonight, nothing else much to do on a Saturday night.

Also thanks for clarifying. Good luck to both teams.

BigOfaN
Waterboy

Post by BigOfaN »

Bottom line stay loyal, keep your kids happy, and there is always a way around the rules. :)

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

4ever when rules are broken is when it becomes somebody elses buiness, nobody is above the law. I guess there will always be people who play by the rules and people who do not. The people who do not play by the rules will always make excuses for not. It is like beating a dead horse. When you can not see past ME. You will never see anything wrong with cheating the system.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Open enrollment has not been a good thing for athletics ,but has helped schools get more students, which obviously means more money, and that is always a good thing.

I never did like kids transferring to other schools for sports.
My suggestion is......just like college,if you transfer......You should have to set out any sport that calendar year.This would put a stop to 90% of the transfers in SE Ohio.......Just a thought!

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

gahs4ever wrote:1. In the first place you can make up rules regarding transferring and eligibility until the cows come home and there will always be those who find loopholes to circumvent them. Always have and always will.

2. Making moving into a district the sole criteria for keeping your eligibility is an unfair advantage for the metro schools over the rural. In a city like Columbus, if your parents work in the city they might only have to move a few blocks to be in another district, while in rural SE Ohio, depending on where you want to go, it probably will involve leaving one county for another.

3. Establishing residency and/or guardianship rules isn't worth the paper it is written on. Anyone can rent an apartment "in season" and then later terminate the lease, and allowing other family members to be declared legal guardians while both parents are living and together is as bogus as it gets.

4. When a school accepts transfers, it often opens a BIG can of worms. In the first place, how can a new kid ever have the same sense of school pride and loyalty that someone who has been in the system all his/her life have? And again, you have kids who have "paid their dues" all the way up from jr high to varsity, and just when it is there turn to play, someone moves in and puts them either on the bench or off the team altogether. I've seen it happen.

5. But on the flip side of the coin, a kid can't help where he was born or where his parents live and why should geography alone dictate where he can and cannot play sports? In these days of AAU ball and camps not to mention playgrounds in the summer, often times kids will strike up friendships while playing together and discover that they would like to go to school and play on the same sports teams. Who should have the right to say that they cannnot do that if they really want to? And why should their parents have to sell their home and move into another district simply so that their child can play a couple of seasons of basketball?

6. And finally, what business is it of anyone if and when a kid decides he/she wants to go to another school? No one on this site or anywhere else has the right to interfere in a family's business IMO. And you know what? You never hear anyone bellyaching when someone in the FFA transfers or a trumpet player, or someone on the debate team. Heck, you never even hear of anyone complaining if a kid who is on a team but never gets in any games transfers. It's all about another school "recruited" one of our kids and that isnt right and why doesnt somebody do something about it?

I think you anwered your first question in paragraph 6 with what you wrote in paragraph 4. If the scenerio is that I take my child who is a good basketball player and drive them to your school which has a good basketball program that you have supported for years and that your child has participated in for years and my kid takes your kids spot on that program then it would be naive of me to expect you not to be resentful.
Scenerios for this type of thing vary and the instances I have seen have not involved any coach recruiting. It's more of a parent thinking their kid is too talented to be in a particular school or they have problems with a particular coach.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

recruiting happens! Many parents do not want to stir up a lot of trouble. I know for a fact several of instances that have happend but the parents did not want to cause any trouble.

Return to “Girls Basketball”