Lady Chiefs

Tall One
Freshman Team

Re: Lady Chiefs

Post by Tall One »

By the way, I barely know the Evans girl, but I am partial to post players, so I have watched her all season. I see her working her but off posting up and getting open. I see the other kids not even looking to get the ball into her. Not the other kids fault, they are playing the way they have been told.

klaw10
Riding the Bench

Post by klaw10 »

Tall One wrote:By the way, I barely know the Evans girl, but I am partial to post players, so I have watched her all season. I see her working her but off posting up and getting open. I see the other kids not even looking to get the ball into her. Not the other kids fault, they are playing the way they have been told.

You know for a fact that players are being told not to "feed the post"?

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Logan BB: Evans played a super game at Marietta. Played for position, , played hard, really worked. This is her MO. Logan is not a post oriented team and looking toward the future I do not see a real presence apparent. There are some girls but will have to develop some more. A lot of work in the summer IMO is necessary for success at the varsity level. Evans has done this and it is shown in her progress year to year. The first 8 or 9 girls at the varsity level have done a lot of extra work on their game during the off season. I do not know how much participation is being done at the JV and down durling the off season. For late bloomers to succeed at the vasity level they will need a lot of natural talent. Like it or not, start early, make a commitment and work at it. This applies across the board to compete in lifes challenges.

Tall One
Freshman Team

Post by Tall One »

KLaw- it is apparent that it has not been stressed to the girls to look to the post, because if it had been then the girls would look at least occasionally.

md2020- I can only speak for the current 7th and 8th grade groups about playing summer ball.7th grade- 4 of the girls have completed 4 years of playing basketball 9 months a year (at least one of these girls will not be at logan next year) one of them have played 3 years and 2 of them have played 2 years. Only one of the current 8th graders have played summer travel ball.

klaw10
Riding the Bench

Post by klaw10 »

Tall One wrote:KLaw- it is apparent that it has not been stressed to the girls to look to the post, because if it had been then the girls would look at least occasionally.

md2020- I can only speak for the current 7th and 8th grade groups about playing summer ball.7th grade- 4 of the girls have completed 4 years of playing basketball 9 months a year (at least one of these girls will not be at logan next year) one of them have played 3 years and 2 of them have played 2 years. Only one of the current 8th graders have played summer travel ball.

Since you are once again "Leaving Logan" I assume your child is the one who will not be at Logan next year...I am sure you will find a much better situation at Lancaster, Nelsonville, Vinton County, Berne Union or whereever you go from here. I am sure the coaches and parents will enjoy your deep insight into how you should properly run a program or develop talent. Good luck with that.

Tall One
Freshman Team

Post by Tall One »

klaw- thank you for your wishes of success. I will find a program where the coaches coach with respect towards the kids, the players play and the parents support all the athletes. My dtr and I have spent the last 3 weeks watching different programs to find the right fit.
Last edited by Tall One on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

klaw10 wrote:
Tall One wrote:By the way, I barely know the Evans girl, but I am partial to post players, so I have watched her all season. I see her working her but off posting up and getting open. I see the other kids not even looking to get the ball into her. Not the other kids fault, they are playing the way they have been told.

You know for a fact that players are being told not to "feed the post"?

Here is an excerpt from the newspaper article about the Warren game at Logan:

"Defensively we did a good job in the post and (getting Evans out with early fouls) was a key," Werry said.

"They had a freshman post player (Emma Ryan, who had three points, five rebounds and three scoring feeds) who played well for them," noted Logan coach Pat Walsh. "We have a senior post player who I thought we were going to use to take advantage of some post opportunities (but she was) on the bench."

Doesn't seem like Coach Walsh's strategy for that game was to not "feed the post"!

Tall One
Freshman Team

Post by Tall One »

Ok, mhs. you are looking at one game. I have seen most of the games this year. I didn't see the marietta game.

hayseed
Riding the Bench

Post by hayseed »

Tall one, word of caution.... grass isn't always greener on the other side. Would hate to see your daughter leave as I hear she is quite a player. Sometimes the greatest lesson learned by the kids is how to deal with and overcome certain situations. I know this is difficult, given some situations, and I have also been in your shoes. But I can clearly see why we were put into the situation now and my kid is doing just great in life!

Tall One
Freshman Team

Post by Tall One »

Thanks hayseed. I don't know what else to say. It is pretty much decided, we just have to work out a few details.

Tall One
Freshman Team

Post by Tall One »

Good luck tonight Girls, I hope you get things turned around.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Logan BB: Logan 47 Warren 41 JV loses in a close thriller. Great team game by both Logan teams.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Take your ball and go home! You have been causing trouble and bad mouthing other players so much I am sure you will not be missed!

Tall One
Freshman Team

Post by Tall One »

I have not ever said anything negative about any kid. About the coaches- at times yes, I have voiced my opinion. Sorry about that, I thought this was a public forum. It is pretty bad when several 12 yo's now more about the game than some of the coaches in the program.

klaw10
Riding the Bench

Post by klaw10 »

Great life lesson Tall One....when things get tough our you disagree with someone just quit and go somewhere else. I have a sneaking suspiciousion you will end up having the same issues no matter where you go. You are also kidding yourself if you believe "several 12 yo's" know more about the game the some of the coaches....the more likely scenario is the parents of these kids are the ones who feel this way and simply displace it on the the kids to support their arguement.

Tall One
Freshman Team

Post by Tall One »

Klaw- My children have had many coaches thru the years, there has never been a problem before. And yes the kids do know more about the game. My dtr said they spent half of practice learning how to dribble thru a trap. Her next statement was "when would we ever dribble through a trap, Why wouldn't we just pass the ball instead?" I said I don't know honey, but he is your coach, you have to do what he wants. To give this coach some credit, he is willing to ask the girls how certain things should work and then he listens to them. He makes it known that he is in control (as it should be) but is flexible enough to allow the girls to play the way they have been taught for the past 4 years. Other coaches in the program, not so much. We will be fine where ever we end up.

Tall One
Freshman Team

Post by Tall One »

As far as the life lesson I am teaching her by leaving, I am avoiding some life lessons that a kid shouldn't have to learn. By leaving at least she will continue to play the game that she loves. If we stay she probably wouldn't be playing much longer. We are making this decision together.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Tall One wrote:KLaw- it is apparent that it has not been stressed to the girls to look to the post, because if it had been then the girls would look at least occasionally.

Hate to see a good player go

Nagol1
Freshman Team

Post by Nagol1 »

Let's keep the topic to the current team on the floor playing? The team won a big game last night!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The main topic is lady Chiefs so anything about the lady Chiefs should be okay.

Return to “Girls Basketball”