South Point @ Wellston 2/2

athens78
All State

Re: South Point @ Wellston 2/2

Post by athens78 »

Stopping the game at half time is against the Ohio High School rules also, at least for a score it is.

I'm glad to see that Minford put it to South Point last night. Don't look for SP to make a deep run in the tournament. They have a lot of wins against a very weak OVC and of course Wellston.

bucksfan76
JV Team

Post by bucksfan76 »

athens78 wrote:Stopping the game at half time is against the Ohio High School rules also, at least for a score it is.

I'm glad to see that Minford put it to South Point last night. Don't look for SP to make a deep run in the tournament. They have a lot of wins against a very weak OVC and of course Wellston.

oh come on South Point loses one game and now they are not going to do anything in the tournament.South Point had an off night for once and your not going to win every game even if you are the better team.If I had to bet on who will go farther in the tournament I would take South Point over minford.

love-vdub
Freshman Team

Post by love-vdub »

Put it on us they lost by 6! :roll:

So immature to be wishing a loss on kids!

ervbaseball13
Riding the Bench

Post by ervbaseball13 »

For anyone to read these things writen by the SP fans about them not running up the score is crazy if you believe it. To score 98 points in a game you have to push the pace. There aren't too many boys teams in the area that can score that many points. I talked to a reporter that was at that game and as I expected he said SP pressed until 2 to 3 mins left in the 2nd period. When they did take the press off, SP picked them up at half court.Theycontinuedto run the floor and throw up 3s all the way until the end of the game. Sounds like the coach may not have run the score up intentionally but he or she did nothing to slow it down. No doubt SP was the better team but you all aren't happy about a 6 point lose try the 94 one. For the parent or fans talking about the kids stats, I can tell you that any college coach would rather see your kids score 15 against Minford or Oak Hill rather than 35 against Wellston. Stats shouldn't matter anyway, if a kid has it the college coach will see it but looking good against a not so good team shows them nothing. College ball is totally different than high school, some of the area's best players aren't good enough to play at the next level. The score of this game was wrong I.M.O. Good luck in the tournament. Keep your heads up Wellston Girls.

conehead
Freshman Team

Post by conehead »

I can believe them pressing up until the last bit of the game. I know when Fairland came down to their place, South Point was up 30-40 points and played their starters and the other couple that get lots of playing time until the 4th quarter. They might not have been "trying" to run up the score against Wellston. I wasn't there to see it. But, I'm sure they weren't trying to keep the score somewhat respectable. And passing the ball 5 times? Isn't that just usual good ball movement? It takes that many passes to get a good shot off most of the time anyway. Either way, 98-4 is ridiculous in my opinion.

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

Some of you need to get a life and let this whole Wellston game go. Its embarassing for all to see any team get beat by that much, but that doesn't mean that its SP's fault...its not. I am honestly shocked that a high school varsity team only scored 4 points? I mean come on, that is crazy and so very rare to see. Especially when last year Wellston scored over 40 points against South Point (must be many new players, as others have mentioned). Scoring 98 points is a huge score, but its over with. What is done, is done...what is going to change by keeping the debate alive like this?

Minford did not stick it to South Point, geez. To be optimistic, this is probably the best time for SP to take a loss if it was going to happen. It was a non conference game, it will get them more anxious to come out and play hard against Coal Grove on Thursday. Any team definitely sees an off game and hopefully SP got it out of their system before OVC Championship and the tournament coming up. The lady pointers should in no way feel like a loss to Minford = a short tourney run. Anything can happen in the tournament and I hope SP can keep adding to an awesome season. This talented group of girls deserves every bit of it. :-D GO POINTERS! Your community supports you 100%!

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

ervbaseball13.....You must have talked to a different reporter who was at that game. I wasn't there and was covering a different game that night.

If it's the reporter who I think you are talking about, then I could see where he would say something like that. A Wellston grad, a big-time Wellston loyalist, and wears the blue and gold glasses so to speak.

Then again, let's just say that he — not always but a lot of time — struggles in telling the truth.

He is not affiliated with our paper, and while I don't like to crack on colleagues in our business, I do offer that note of caution to anyone whom he has a conversation with. History has proven that.

love-vdub
Freshman Team

Post by love-vdub »

That reporter wasn't watching the correct game then. The starters played the first quarter and started the 3rd quarter in which they may have played the first 2-3 minutes. We only have 9 girsl on the team, so atleast one starter is going to be in the game with the other players. Most of the three's that were thrown up were by our JV players. They have just as right to score as anybody else. Wellston had many opportunites to score with jumpshots, lay-ups and foul shots they couldn't come through on any. Again, not South Point's problem. I don't see them complaining of the other teams that outscored them:

vs. Alexander (Albany, OH) * 20-72 (L)
vs. Dawson-Bryant (Coal Grove, OH) 19-74 (L)
vs. Nelsonville-York (Nelsonville, OH) * 24-72 (L)
vs. Meigs (Pomeroy, OH) * 12-64 (L)

I guess it was okay for these teams to score high, but South Point is the bad guy. Whatever get over it!

As for the stats being padded: the girls who start get less points in these games, then they do in tough games. Oh yeah by the way; my kid did score 21 against Minford and 17 against Oak Hill. :oops:

bucksfan76
JV Team

Post by bucksfan76 »

I just think everyone needs to stop complaining about the score I mean its sports if you dont want to get blown out like that the step up and stop the other team.Since when do we tell kids to take it easy against another team.Its wellston fault the score was as bad as it was not South Point.

ervbaseball13
Riding the Bench

Post by ervbaseball13 »

Sorry it took so long to post but I just couldn't believe some of the things being said on here about the game. First off I don't think Wellston was making baskets for SP so to say its Wellstons fault thats crazy. They lost their coach from last year,he is at Minford now and a lot of girls that played last year didn't return. Take a good look luv at those scores u posted. Those teams won by 52,55,48,and52. They didn'win by 94, SP put up 39 to 46 more than those teams on your list. I know 2 of the four teams on your list could had beat them by as many as SP put up or more. There is no reason for any team to lose that bad it doesn't matter how good one team is or how bad the other team is. When you stopped pressing you didn't need to pick them up at half court, running the floor on a turnover and no reason to be throwing up 3s after the half. The coach could have had the girls get in their offense and run it until they had a wide open layup or played keep away. 50,60 OR even70 to 4 would had been better than 98 to 4. No reason for it. Glad to hear your kid is doing well against the good teams too but you should be a little more respectable about this score.

love-vdub
Freshman Team

Post by love-vdub »

Okay, I get it. IF Wellston would have made their shots and scored 10 more points then it would have been okay, but they couldn't make their shots so lets blame South Point for that. Oh yeah let's blame them for the Wellston players throwing the ball right to them too. But you know what i have the game on dvd so if you want a copy (so you can get doggin SP out) then let me know and I will gladly send it to you.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Because of the weak OVC schedule and playing teams like Wellston South Point will not make a big run in the tournament. Their record is padded with wins over a lot of weak teams. The finally had to play a good team in Minford and lost.

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

You are absolutely crazy...

So the fact that SP won the districts last year and beat a very high quality team from Adena, that was just some sort of fluke huh? They have all their returning starters back from last year except one. These are just high school kids and its sad that adults have to get on here and try to rip them apart when they win or lose. South Point is extremely talented...does that mean they are unstoppable or unbeatable? Absolutely not, as they have shown. They have been beaten twice this year, by two respectable teams indeed. Anything can happen in the tournament, that is what makes it exciting. Its really ridiculous that in the same thread people are criticizing SP for beating a team by too much (when really the big shocker is that Wellston scored such a low amount of points). Then at the same time you have others saying you can count them out of the tournament for sure because they have lost two games.

This all has been blown up in my opinion. Like I said they are just kids playing a sport that they love. The girls cannot help what conference they are in, how good the other teams on their schedule are, or any other factors like that. All they can do is play their best with the schedule that is handed to them and that is what SP has done. I think they have a record to be very proud of and they have worked hard. To say they will not make a tournament run is crazy...absolutely crazy. Obviously anything can happen, but SP deserves their tournament seed and I think they have a great chance of winning the districts again!

ervbaseball13
Riding the Bench

Post by ervbaseball13 »

You don't get it. I'm not blaming SP for Wellston missing shots or making bad decisions,you all cannot control what the other team does but you can control what you do.It's not about what Wellston scored its more about what SP scored and the severity you beat them. Putting up 98 is crazy unless the other team is scoring right with you. You all put up 98 and the other team scored 4. No need to send me the dvd, I've watched enough basketball to know what the dvd is going to show which is you all running the floor,after taking the press off picking up the ball at half court and bombing 3s til the end of the game so no thanks. I'm not doggin SP but I'm doggin all the people on here defending the unnecessary score.

love-vdub
Freshman Team

Post by love-vdub »

You weren't even at the game, so a couple of players hit 3's, the majority of their points came from layups of which Wellston played no defense to keep that from happening, and Coach Adams would make them pull them out of a free layup and run the offense. I guess those other teams didn't shoot 3's. This score could have been a whole lost worse if he would have left his starters in.

I agree with buckeye221.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

love vdub-
EXCUSES on why SP beat Wellston by 94!! Wellston played no "D". Score could have been worse??? Are you kidding??? I wonder how your daughter would feel if her team was beaten by 94???? Put yourself on the other end!!!
EXCUSES on why Minford beat SP!!! The officials cheated, didn't call walks, "T'd" up coach for asking how many fouls!!!!!!
I bet if we looked at more of your posts we would find more of the same!!!!!!!!!! EXCUSES!!!!

love-vdub
Freshman Team

Post by love-vdub »

EXCUSES on why SP beat Wellston by 94!! Wellston played no "D". Score could have been worse??? Are you kidding??? I wonder how your daughter would feel if her team was beaten by 94???? Put yourself on the other end!!!

My daughter has been on the other end and go no sympathy. All I am saying is he shouldn't judge when he wasnt at the game. He has no idea what went on. The comment about the scoring being worse was made because he kept saying how they played their starters. If that was the case it could have been worse.

As for the Minford game, South Point didn't play well at times and when they started to get back in the game it was taken from them. Don't put words in my mouth I never said the refs cheated, but I do know what I heard coming out of that refs mouth after one of our fans was thrown out of the game. Who cares the game is over they lost, still got 2 seed and I see them doing well in the tournament, as long as they play as a team.

ervbaseball13
Riding the Bench

Post by ervbaseball13 »

I played college baseball 4 yrs and my last yr we played a team that had just started a baseball program. We made the trip up only to find out when we get there that they have 9 players and only 1 had ever played baseball and that was in little league. Coach let our starters have 2 at bats and they got them in the first inning. We started a kid that didn't pitch much but threw alot of BP. Coach took the starters out and let all the pitchers play. When we got in we would swing at balls in the dirt,over our head and balls way out of the plate. We even booted a few balls to let them score a run. When they scored that run their team mobbed him at the plate and we even got in on the celebration.We won 26-1 in 5 and we did all we could to keep the score respectable. We could have let any normal pitcher start and throw a perfect game and we could have keep some of the starters or back up position players in and we would had broke all kinds of records (scoring along with hitting). It wasn't the other teams fault, we did what we could to make this game some what respectable at the college level. At no point in any of my post did I say SP left the starters in, it doesn't matter who was in. Yes you are right I wasn't at the ball game but anybody that hears this score wouldn't have had to been their to know what happened. I guess after the 58-2 halftime score you all thought Wellston was going to comeback. Nothing wrong with winning but it should be done the right way.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

In hindsight IF Adams would have known that it was going to be this bad I am sure he would have taken the whole team (JV and varsity) to the game. He left 4 of 5 kids at home that could have played that only play JV. But I am sure that some of those parents probably like the idea that they didn't have to travel so far and let their kids get back so late. One mom even said this to me. But seeing how he couldn't have predicted what would happen he had no choice but to play his subs who some are just a step away from being a starter. The nine kids he did take who are the varsity and some JV players who only get one quarter of varsity a night could probably start on a lot of varsity teams around here. It was bad for both teams and I am sure both programs will learn from it. Let's all just let it die and wish both the teams good luck in the future.

I have been on the end of losing badly as a coach and a player. No one likes to be on either side of it. It happened and we can't change it so let's just move on!

Return to “Girls Basketball”