ATHENS DEFEATS BELPRE 59-31

Gib25
Varsity

ATHENS DEFEATS BELPRE 59-31

Post by Gib25 »

Adrianna Lein poured in 21 points in her last game in McAfee gymnasium to lead the Lady Bulldogs to their fifth league win of the year. Elena Lein dropped in 14 points and added 10 rebounds to help her sister win her final game. Raven cline added 9, Caty willis had 5, Cindy Willis and Gracie Staten 3, and Kayla Nicholson and Whitney Dickens scored 2 points. Brandi Fitch had 8 to lead Belpre.

Athens lead 38-28 at the end of three periods, but scored the first 21 points of the fourth quarter to put the game away. Athens finishes their TVC season on Tuesday as they travel to Wellston.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Re: ATHENS DEFEATS BELPRE 59-31

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Bulldog64.....I won't get to see you on Tuesday at Wellston sir.

I am making the trek to Wheelersburg to cover the Oak Hill at Wheelersburg boys game which is battle for first place in SOC Division II.

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

We are covering the Boys game at home Vs. N-Y so I wouldn't have been there anyway. We will be covering the girls again on Wednesday at Logan. I'm sure we'll meet up during the tournament trail.

Fury27
Riding the Bench

Post by Fury27 »

I'm curious to see what other people's responses are to this situation Tonight after the Girls Varsity Game, the Belpre head Varsity Coach used the Athens locker room to hash out the teams problems. Coach felt that there was too much dissention on the team, so she made the girls stay in the locker room until they named names of who was causing the dissention. Here's the catch.....she asked the lone senior on the team to take charge, and have the girls go to her in priviate and name the person or persons who were causing the problems while the coaches left the locker room. After about 30-40 minutes in the opposing team's locker room, no names were mentioned, however, this was not good enough for the Coach. She would not let the girls leave until a name was given.
While the senior in charge went to report to the Coaches that there wasn't any progress, and no names were given, one player called her mother and begged her to do something. This was becoming extremely pety, and the player did not want to be a part of it. Instead of thinking that her team was upset that they had just lost a conference game to a team that they had just beaten earlier in the season, or finally realizing that her offense sucks, the Coach was making the girls name names of who was causing the problem. I would think after a 40 minute lock up in the other teams locker room, it would be clear that not one person was the cause of the team's dissention. But the coach wanted a scape goat. The mother who got the phone call from inside the locker room got the principal who had traveled to the game, and who was still there, to go to the locker room and get the girls out. It was after all a school night and they have another game on Tuesday night. So the principal had to go into the girl's locker room and see if there was anything she could do.
My concern is that Belpre will not recognize this as a kindergarten tactic, and will not hold the coach accountable for her own actions. She embarrassed the team further by using the other team's locker room for over and hour (the girls were still not permitted to leave even after the principal went in) to humilate and name names of girls who she perceived may be causing problems. First of all, a Head Coach should know who is causing problems on their team, she should not have to use the opposing teams locker room for over an hour to get to the bottom of her team's problems. Second, the girls were practically forced into saying the name of someone on their own team, because they were not leaving until a name was given. My thought is she should spend more time analyzing the weaknesses in the offense and defense, rather than tearing one of her players down for the sake of naming a name for who is causing the problems on the team.
Maybe the girls should have named the coach, afterall, an adult would not resort to such childish tactics. If she was trying to help the team, she just made them divide further with what can only be described as a Kindergarten Lesson Plan gone bad!!!! I am afraid her actions tonight may have caused players who have been in the Belpre basketball program for 7 or 8 years turn in their uniform at the end of the season.....and not come back.

warriiorfan
Freshman Team

Post by warriiorfan »

What goes on in the locker-room should stay in the locker-room... Unless of course there's physical/emotional harm.

Go Eagles! :roll: You people are amazing... You don't need rivals, You tear yourselves apart... Both hoops programs! Wonder how many other districts would want what you have for their Girls' Basketball Coach: a female, a TEACHER in the classroom and a TEACHER of fundamentals on the court, Hard-working, Dedicated coach who holds girls accountable... That part seems to be real touchy because according to parents its always the ref or coach's fault... :lol:

Coaches are human... I am sure last night was a difficult/emotional time for all involved following that kind of performance...players, coaches, parents, etc... Thus, under these circumstances, I am sure the Coach was doing what she thought her Team needed... sometimes ideas/strategies work, other times they don't... Additionally, if this is enough to turn a player or two away from a program then they probably weren't working hard enough anyway... Harder You Work, Harder it is to Surrender!

Go Blue!

Jake Roberts
Freshman Team

Post by Jake Roberts »

Sounds like Fury27 has an axe to grind. I agree with warriiorfan, what happens in the locker room should not be posted on here.

Fury27
Riding the Bench

Post by Fury27 »

no axe to grind at all, first line of the posting stated "just curious on how others would see this situation" You are absolutely right about the hard work that goes into basketball season from both the players and coaches.....but it just seemed over the top to use the opposing teams locker room for over an hour to air the dirty laundry. Not to mention that I was informed this morning that Belpre Middle School's girls basketball team was on the bus for the entire hour waiting for the other players to get on the bus. They had no idea what was going on, neither did the parent's of the 7th and 8th graders who expected them back around 9:30pm and not 11:30pm. So if this seems like acceptable behavior from a Varsity coach, then so be it, I was wrong to say anything else. But parents have a right to be angry when a Coach has total disregard for the player's homework, the parent's schedules the next day, and the opposing team's custodial staff trying to clean up in their own gym while she occupies their locker room. Sorry for voicing my opinion. Has nothing to do with letting the "Team" be a "Team" Excuse me for saying so, but you hardly ever see anything being posted about the Belpre Girl's Program, unlike some of our neighboring schools. The Parents seem to have kept our issues in the program. But this behavior last night by the coach just seemed unacceptable by any School's standards.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Belpre has a lot of issues in both the girls and boys programs. These once winning and proud programs have went completely down hill over the last 5 years.

warriiorfan
Freshman Team

Post by warriiorfan »

ya the jr high kids on the bus waiting does indeed add to the dynamics - that should have been considered... but as noted, i am sure it was a very emotional time for all involved... (seriously a 21-0 run to start the fourth? ouccccccch)

anyone choose a bad strategy at work today? doesnt mean you need fired! come on now...

Fury27
Riding the Bench

Post by Fury27 »

Well warriorfan, maybe you're right....what happens in the locker should just stay in the locker room.......but I can't help but think you might just want Belpre to work their issues out so that we don't send another Girl's Basketball Coach your way. I mean afterall, there have been so many great things said about the one you have now that went your way.

warriiorfan
Freshman Team

Post by warriiorfan »

sure we will take another responsible, hard working, exceptional teacher!

Fury27
Riding the Bench

Post by Fury27 »

RESPONSIBLE.....keeping 7th thru 12th graders out until 11:30pm on a school night, (they caught the bus at 4:15, and pulled into the parking lot at 11:25pm) Wow!!!! Ok it's a deal......you can have her!
Hard working, dedicated teacher....I would settle for considerate right now!
If you are in that desperate need for someone who has such little regard for "student athletes" (there was no consideration for the student part last night) then get your classified ad ready, Are you saying you have another opening?

warriiorfan
Freshman Team

Post by warriiorfan »

Fury27 wrote:but I can't help but think you might just want Belpre to work their issues out so that we don't send another Girl's Basketball Coach your way.

to this i responded...

sure we will take another responsible, hard working, exceptional teacher!

meaning - the teacher/coach we received from you... follow along now!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Fury: Let me guess you are one of the ones that was pulled into the classroom at NY to be addressed by the administation about your behavior? What you are doing is causing more harm that good! Chances are if you and several others would have stayed out of this earlier in the season things would not have gotten to the point where the coach needed to do this.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

PolPot - Amen. This entire thread just makes me want to throw up..............

Wow, I cannot believe these issues exist.....Oh, I need to quit fooling myself........

Someday, reality will smack me in the face.............. :roll: :roll: :roll:

ssbball
Freshman Team

Post by ssbball »

All parents were in the classroom at NY. No one pointed out. If you have no idea what you are talking about, stay out of it. Not like you alls programs are all rosey. Please!
Just a couple with a grudge.
Like everywhere else.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

I am well aware of who was in the classroom! I am also very much aware of why you all were in the classroom. As for staying out of this KEEP IN MIND it was one of your own who brought this into a public forum.

Logan_fan08
Waterboy

Post by Logan_fan08 »

congrats to Athens! It seems like they've made a lot of progress this year.

Return to “Girls Basketball”