Nelsonville York Lady Buckeyes

athens78
All State

Re: Nelsonville York Lady Buckeyes

Post by athens78 »

Yes he could tell his girls what I mentioned before. Yes one look and in my opinion lack of class.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

So..you are telling him to put his 2nd string (maybe 11th or 12th "wo"men) in off the bench and then telling them not to play hard? These girls might not see many minutes this year and I bet they want to take advantage of the time they get. I personally would be disappointed if my coach put me in and told me to "not steal the ball" or "don't take a wide open layup" or "Don't run any of the out of bounds plays we ran in practice." I understand that it's a shame for the Federal Hocking girls to have this happen to them, but you can't fault a coach when he's playing his bench. 58 points really isn't that much for a basketball game..He can't put the ball in the hoop for Federal Hocking though. If anything, it should encourage them to make themselves better and not allow this to happen again.

Plus if I was Federal Hocking, I would be more embarrassed if a coach was noticeably taking it easy on me...ESPECIALLY if they pass up a wide open layup...I feel like that would be more humiliating.

buckeyes86
Waterboy

Post by buckeyes86 »

You must not have been watching the same game as everyone else. There was no press after a few minutes into the SECOND QUARTER, NOT second half and they were not up by 30 + points!! This sounds like a personal attack!! Should our team lay down and not play because a team is "struggling"?? Shouldn't you play like you practice?? The FH girls played hard and played hard to the end but why should any team play them easy, this is the way for teams to get better. Coach Walter has much more class than most coaches I know and respects all players, not just his own!! I do believe that maybe you are confused by the press because it was the varsity that pressed into the 3rd quarter. Keep up the great coaching, Coach Walter, you have a great bunch of girls and a bright season ahead.

harley2
Waterboy

Post by harley2 »

I just wanted to let any player for the JV or Varsity Lady Lancers who may read these posts that I am very proud of how they played. They have not had one scrimmage this year except for the preview game at Nelsonville. Many of the young ladies have had little to no basketball experience. They go out there and play with alot of heart and to the best of their ability. They never gave up. They have thirteen girls who practice hard.

The thing I dislike is when adults go on here and say how terrible another team is. I don't feel that a coach should tell the players not to play a game but anyone who was at that game could tell that the Fed Hock girls were not as experienced as the Nelsonville players.

As for the comment about this encouraging them to make themselves better and not allowing it to happen again. These young ladies are working very hard in practice. It is comments like this that might change one of the young ladies mind about playing basketball. This is high school basketball not college or pro basketball. Sometimes in life it is not about winning and losing it is about sportsmanship. As for the comment about being humiliating about the Nelsonville team TAKING IT EASY ON THEM when did that happen in the game.

Keep your heads up Lady Lancers and keep practicing hard. I am very proud of all of you.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

You misread..I said that it would have been humiliating if Nelsonville-York would have noticeably let up.

I in no way was putting the Lady lancers down. I have a ton of respect for those ladies, especially after their season last year. Perhaps some of my comments could have been taken the wrong way and for that, I apologize. I wish the Lady lancers the best of luck the rest of the way and encourage them to keep working hard in practice to make themselves better every day!

harley2
Waterboy

Post by harley2 »

I just didn't want one of the girls to see the post and give up. They have been working very hard.

Nelsonville has a very good team and I wish them well.

I just think that sometimes people need to realize that this is just high school sports. It is important that the girls not only learn basketball skills, but that they learn sportsmanship. Sometimes, I think adults forget that some of the players might get on here and look at what is being written. Maybe some of the adults should realize that instead of putting other schools, players, and coaches down they should be encouraging the kids.

I wish that the coaches for Nelsonville had not pressed the way they did, but you cannot ask the young ladies not to play. I know the varsity coach for Nelsonville and she is a very nice young lady. I do not know the JV coach, but he did play everyone on the bench that night.

The thing I enjoyed seeing the most was at the end of the game when one of the JV Fed Hock players made a basket. It was her first basket. Who knows what kind of player she might turn out to be by they middle of the season. Did the Fed Hock girls look disappointed when they were going through the line at the end of the game? NO. They might not have scored alot of points that night but they never gave up. They have made comments already that they need to work harder in practice and they are looking forward to the next game. I can see them getting better with each game. They have a different coach then last year and they are learning new things. They will get better.

Good luck to Nelsonville in the rest of their season. I don't believe that Fed Hock will play them again this season. I hope that the next time the two teams play that Fed Hock will be a much improved team.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Wow sounds like a "we want Coach Walters for the Head Coach next year Committee" on here. Is that's what he's after? I heard he's only coached Junior high and 8th grade being last year. Are some parents and freshman players pushing for him to be the next Head Coach?

To answer your question 11 or 12 woman yes hold it up. It might teach them how to be a class act in life. If they are 11 or 12 in the rotation then maybe the should practice or work harder or join the band.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Watched the replay of the game. The freshman center? that's be talked about didn't even start did she? She looked to go left a lot also she is a decent player but not the post that I've seen for Athens. I'd say that if she gets in the weight room by the time she's a senior she has a chance to be really good. The same was with Athens Centers. Their still not the strongest but much stronger then when they were younger. The best freshman I've seen is the guard at Athens by far. Maiden was the best and much stronger that I've seen at NY even as a freshman.

This is a very good but very young team. People shouldn't but a lot of high expectations on them. Just let them develop they are going to make a lot of mistakes because they're young but they will also do a lot well.

No comment on the JV Coach!

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

I'll just say this, this whole debate was started by someone that can't stand Athens or Athens Co. sports. I've read where that same person made the argument you have to play better competition to get better and I believe that also. If FH never faces the press, how will they ever learn to break it? Should a team winning be pressing with their 1st string in? Probably not, but I think NY called that off early and didn't go to it much varsity or reserve.

ny_bucks
Riding the Bench

Post by ny_bucks »

greatone wrote:Watched the replay of the game. The freshman center? that's be talked about didn't even start did she? She looked to go left a lot also she is a decent player but not the post that I've seen for Athens. I'd say that if she gets in the weight room by the time she's a senior she has a chance to be really good. The same was with Athens Centers. Their still not the strongest but much stronger then when they were younger. The best freshman I've seen is the guard at Athens by far. Maiden was the best and much stronger that I've seen at NY even as a freshman.

This is a very good but very young team. People shouldn't but a lot of high expectations on them. Just let them develop they are going to make a lot of mistakes because they're young but they will also do a lot well.

No comment on the JV Coach!
Honestly I was suprised when she didnt start she is very good and they didnt go to her very often but its only the first game of the season. She does need to get stronger but she has amazing foot work. She has played with the guard for athens in AAU and she is dominant for that team and I think she will be hard to stop with her foot work, speed, and ball handling skills. Good luck Buckeyes!
Last edited by ny_bucks on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ny_bucks
Riding the Bench

Post by ny_bucks »

athens78 wrote:Wow sounds like a "we want Coach Walters for the Head Coach next year Committee" on here. Is that's what he's after? I heard he's only coached Junior high and 8th grade being last year. Are some parents and freshman players pushing for him to be the next Head Coach?

To answer your question 11 or 12 woman yes hold it up. It might teach them how to be a class act in life. If they are 11 or 12 in the rotation then maybe the should practice or work harder or join the band.
He has coached the freshman group most of them since 4th grade. He is a very smart coach and knows a lot!!! about the game. He likes to play ball fast and push it up the court much like when he played. In his eyes everyone should get the chance to play so expect every game to see almost everyone get playing time. He is a very respected coach and I think his team will do very well this year!

Vladd
Freshman Team

Post by Vladd »

No dog in this argument so just by reading the comments, it is a very interesting comments on both sides. You read and hear about the lopsided scores in all levels from Little League to high School. My team I played for and still support, over the years has experienced both winning by a blowout or being blown out. Everyone has made some good points pro and con. It is a catch 22 for the Coaches on both sides in a game like this, damned if you do and damned if you don't. Does the Coach tell his any of the players to play less than 100% when they are in the game? Does the losing Coach tell the players to give up? The answer to both is no. Every school is our area usually go through down years and then they have years they are better. Bottom line is that these are High School kids and we as adults shouldn't be bashing each others Coaches. We aren't at the practices and we don't know everything that goes on. We should support our teams no matter what. Good Luck to all the girls on both of these teams and hope you all the best. Just go out on the court and have fun. You will look back on these years and the good times you had in High School..

harley2
Waterboy

Post by harley2 »

I agree totally with Vlad III the Impaler. Adults need to stop bashing other coaches. The game has been played and it is over. The Fed Hock girls have already moved on. They are getting ready for the game against Miller. Adults need to move on also. No one can change the outcome or how teams are coached. I can't understand why some people are bashing the Nelsonville coaches. If anyone should have complained, it should have been someone from Fed Hock. Which no one did. The Fed Hock girls never gave up and the Nelsonville girls should not have had to stop playing. It is only a game. Just let it go.

buckeyes86
Waterboy

Post by buckeyes86 »

harley2, well said. Thank you!!!

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Lets be honest here. AAU isn't anything like regular season high school. It doesn't matter how good she was in AAU the officiating isn't the same and now it's a team game not an individual game.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

NY_Bucks. it sounds like you're either the freshman yourself or one of her parents. Because all you talk about is how great she is and how great the coach is. End of Story.

Pickbuck86
Waterboy

Post by Pickbuck86 »

I know her and both of her parents, and I will guarantee you that NY_Bucks is not one of them!!!! That is terrible of you to say athens78. That is bad judgement on your part.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Sorry I've hit a nerve. Continue big score for the JV team and Nelsonville High School. The Varsity will contend for the league title put the jv team should bring home the jv league title and coach of the year award.....if they give those out. Great talent, great coach.

Return to “Girls Basketball”