Team seeks to forfeit 100-0 win

robycop3
All State

Team seeks to forfeit 100-0 win

Post by robycop3 »

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=903780

Sorry, Sportzz fanzz, but a win is a WIN! Why have a team at all if it's gonna catch heat for winning a fairly-played & officiated game? Forfeiting the game when there's no legitimate reason is grossly unfair to the winning team!

There's no protest from the losing team that I can find. i believe the officials at that "Covenant school" needta get their priorities in order!

robycop3
All State

Re: Team seeks to forfeit 100-0 win

Post by robycop3 »

while the Prez of Covenant School apologized for the lopsided win, the coach did NOT, and rightly so. As he said, his girls played honorably and with dignity.

NO coach worth his old sox is gonna tell his team not to score! That's the main object o0f playing the game! Much of the criticism arose from the fact that the Covenant girls continued to make 3-pointers with the game well in hand. Seemsta me they coulda most likely worked the ball in close for an easy layup whenever they chose, but opted to take the lower-percentage 3s instead. they just happened to make a lotta them.

Shame on the Covenant School's officials for belittling their own students' efforts!

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

While I really have no opinion on this, the coach, and his stance, are probably going to cost him his job.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=904560

Can See All
Riding the Bench

Post by Can See All »

If I read the article right, isn't this school for kids who have something wrong, such as dyslexia (sp)? I believe it would be very admirable to forfeit the win. The coach needs to realize that a win is a win, he doesn't need to embarrass kids like that, especially if they have something wrong with them.

On the other hand it's really good to see the losing team not taking any harm in it, and looking at the positives. Even if the score doesen't indicate it, they are the real winners.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Fired Coach says he's not sorry for 100-point win.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/9134384?MSNHPHMA

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

I'd say the coach was fired for his disagreement with school officials.

Sorry, but I believe THE SCHOOL OFFICIALS ARE WRONG!

COACH GRIMES' DUTY & LOYALTY WAS TO HIS OWN TEAM, AS IT SHOULDA BEEN! Any coach who tells his players not to score is not doing right by his players. To his credit, he had his players shooting 3s insteada working the ball in for easy layups as they did at first. Does anyone think the Covenant officials did its girls any good by firing a coach who encouraged them to do their best on the court?

Soundsta me those admins should be the ones fired, for disloaylty to their own school's student-athletes! I hope they hafta pay Coach Grimes a big chunks change to end his contract!

The "Dallas Academy" people chose to play their team against teams they cannot beat, and besides that, they didn't holler about the skunking. They knew what they were getting their team into, & have gracefully accepted the consequences, going winless the last 4 seasons.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Latest on this is that Covenant has fired Coach Grimes. I'd say the reason was his disagreement with school officials, not his handling of the girls' hoops team.

Whatta disgrace those school officials are!

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

I bet there are more things going on surrounding this school and the coach. I am waiting for the rest of the story.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

What a disgrace this coach was. Two thumbs up for the Administration.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

Fire him! He got what he deserved. Do you have to win 100 to 0 to show loyalty to your own team? Unreal. Then he has the arrogance to go against the school's statement. Total JERK!

morrissette#18
Riding the Bench

Post by morrissette#18 »

I agree with the coach not letting up. It would be dumb of him to basically tell his to ruin there FG% and turnover rate just to please some fans and administrators.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

The coach did let up. He took the press off after three minutes into the game when the score was 25-0.

This is a district game between two small schools in Dallas. Because they are in the same district, they have to play each other during the season.

One schools has about 20 girls in the school. The other school has about 30 girls. Each team has eight girls on their roster.

The losing team has also lost 66-4 this season as well as several other such blow-outs. They have only scored over 7 points once this season among the reported scores. And they only appear to have 11 games scheduled with several yet to be played.

I think it is the 100 scored that bothers people so much. Too round of a number. 92 wouldn't bother people as much. He wouldn't let them score after the 100 but he probably should have stopped at 67.

Also, if you read the articles, no where does it says the coach was cheering wildly. It does say an assistant coach was cheering. I would not be surprised if the 'assistant' was a parent since this is such a small school.

Mr_player
Freshman Team

Post by Mr_player »

So did the losing school have kids with mental problems?
Because if they did, thats just sad and poor sportsmanship.

conehead
Freshman Team

Post by conehead »

It's a school for students with "learning disabilities" such as dyslexia and things like that. It's a school that is made to have small classes so they can learn better. They aren't exactly things that affect the ability to play sports.

I read that many of the girls on the team had never played basketball before. They just do it to have fun.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

I wonder if the team that won has had a rough go of it. Not uncommon to see bottom feeders going crazy when they finally find someone that they can beat.

Return to “Girls Basketball”