Do officials call girls games different than boys?!?

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Do officials call girls games different than boys?!?

Post by tossithigh »

There is a topic on the boys' board about tournament games being called different. For discussion purposes: Do you think refs call a girls game different than a boys game? Please no specfic game problems, just use your basketball knowledge and explain why you feel the way you do.

Some officials don't give girls there just dos for being able to block a shot and therefore anticipate contact so they blow the whistle to soon.

TrojanXplosion
S

Re: Do officials call girls games different than boys?!?

Post by TrojanXplosion »

I personally feel that the officials let more things go in a girls game. In all of my years of whatching basketball I have noticed that the girls games are much more physical than the boys games. They just get after it a little more.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Yes, much more physical, allowing rampant hand-checking. Tournament games I've been to this year, they would not make a three-second call, regardless of how long the girl was in the lane, inconsistently called traveling, and would not call a carry, despite how blatantly the girl was carrying the ball. But, alot of these things existed in the regular season.

Seems like the boys officials call traveling much more consistenly, as well as the three second calls. IMHO...... :-D

love-vdub
Freshman Team

Post by love-vdub »

Steely Dan, Let's go get confused at that game that I am pretty sure that you are referring to. Just because your officials on your home court let you get away with those things, doesn't mean that the rest of the state is going to. Trust me we played up your way and the refs allowed your players to swing there arms up and down at the foul shot line and let them get away with talking crap to the girls who were making the foul shot. And just because a team beats another team twice during regular season doesn't mean that the they can't win during tournament time. That had nothing to do with the officials, but good ole basketball!!!! :roll:

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

I've noticed in boys games when a player lands on thier behind, it's instantly called traveling. But in the girls games most of time they can throw the ball to another player. I don't know if it's sliding or what in that instance that makes it traveling.

PointerFan02
Freshman Team

Post by PointerFan02 »

I thought it seemed like there were a lot of fouls not called, in the recent game I attended at the tournament. They let the girls play more.

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

PointerFan02 wrote:I thought it seemed like there were a lot of fouls not called, in the recent game I attended at the tournament. They let the girls play more.

I agree!!! The games that I have seen, especially tournament time...there have been some calls that they let go and never called that were in my opinion very rough! So I don't know...its interesting.

jeepgirl_4life
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepgirl_4life »

Well, I've seen some very physical basketball in the past week. Elbows locking while boxing out in the paint, dropped shoulders plowing thur and blocks being called instead of the offensive foul, and basically, attitudes that would never be tolerated if the boys were on the court.

I don't mind seeing them play physical. Hand checking is typical for both boys & girls. But when athletes are actually doing sommersaults on the floor because they have been plowed down, come on..... make the call! And I don't see many officials verbally addressing it with a warning.

This is the point where injuries occur & the game is out of the officials control.

Maybe they address these things with the boys because they might be more apt to come to blows. But the girls deserve to have the same respect on the floor as the boys. They may be a little more "acrobatic" or limber than their male counterparts, but they shouldn't have to prove it in a basketball game.

warriiorfan
Freshman Team

Post by warriiorfan »

I agree, make the calls...early so the athletes can adjust and play! Personally though i hate the verbal warnings....more times than not one team/player will receive the verbal warning then later its called against the opponent player/team who did not necessarily receive the warning...just blow the first time!!!

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

love-vdub wrote:Steely Dan, Let's go get confused at that game that I am pretty sure that you are referring to. Just because your officials on your home court let you get away with those things, doesn't mean that the rest of the state is going to. Trust me we played up your way and the refs allowed your players to swing there arms up and down at the foul shot line and let them get away with talking crap to the girls who were making the foul shot. And just because a team beats another team twice during regular season doesn't mean that the they can't win during tournament time. That had nothing to do with the officials, but good ole basketball!!!! :roll:

And you were the first poster whining about the officiating after your team got beat.

OK, that makes complete sense to me. Good ole basketball, I guess, reigns supreme, now, doesn't it????

love-vdub
Freshman Team

Post by love-vdub »

Nobody said that SP lost because of the refs, I was simply stating a fact!!!!! The Oak Hill fans know because some stayed and watched the game. You on the other hand want to say that FH lost because they didn't make calls. Quit whinning. :cry: SP beat you and Garaway beat us. Get over it!!!!!!! ;-)

Jif
Riding the Bench

Post by Jif »

My observation is that officials do not let girls play enough. I am an official from observing other officials they call girls games much too tight. I hope everyone is aware that the 3-second rule changed about three years ago. If you are attcking the basket the count stops.

Didn't see the games you are talking about, but if you are trying to hang a loss on a 3 second call face your team just got beat. In general the further north you go the more physical games will be. SEO tends to be ticky-tac on foul calls.

Return to “Girls Basketball”