South Point 40 vs Adena 39 on 2/23/08 Champ. (FINAL SCORE)

MightyOaksFan
SE

Re: South Point vs. Adena on 2/23/08 at 8:00 pm CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by MightyOaksFan »

South Point 40
Adena 39

Congrats Pointers. You have some great athletes and some outstanding young talent. You will be tough for years to come. I think they can give Garaway a run for their money.

TheChesterfieldKing
Riding the Bench

Post by TheChesterfieldKing »

WAY TO GO GIRLS!!! And GREAT JOB COACH ADAMS!!!!

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Congrats girls!!! SP is proud of you. And Dave...you da man!!! :-D

PointerFan02
Freshman Team

Post by PointerFan02 »

Congrats to the Lady Pointers!!

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

You did it girls!!! Wow what a game! Congrats on an awesome win (you made us all so nervous at the end!) and goodluck in the regionals!

This team is so young, but oh so talented. The future is so bright its blinding lol :-D ENJOY YOUR WIN!!!

Championship
JV Team

Re: South Point 40 vs Adena 39 on 2/23/08 Champ. (FINAL SCORE)

Post by Championship »

Congrats to the lady pointers on the 1st district championship in i believe i heard 30 some odd years.....exciting game from start to finish.....the Jordan girl from Adena was a very very good player and you cant help but feel bad for the senior girl that missed that free throw...but congrats to Adena on a great season and tourney run

OVClocal
Freshman Team

Post by OVClocal »

Yeah great win for South Point, only one senior that played tonite, however there weren't very many people in the stands for a district championship. Now the girls are in the sweet sixteen and I hope that there is better showing in the stands in Lancaster.

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

I thought there was a pretty good crowd there for South Point, but it could have been better I know. Of course Adena had more fans...they are about 30 minutes or less away? I was glad to see a student section for South Point, they do have their faithful fans thats for sure lol

I think where there was such a big hype over the SP boys this year that maybe the girls got overlooked...but I guarantee all eyes are on them now. I hope there is a big cheering section for them in the regionals though!!! The school should consider getting a student bus for the game.

love-vdub
Freshman Team

Post by love-vdub »

I agree with Buckeye221, I think the crowd was okay, and I was glad to see our students come out and support the girls. Like they said we do have those that have been very loyal to the girls. Hopefully they will have a bus again on Wednesday. Good luck to all the girls!!!!!! What a great win. ALL the girls played well and they did not quit, I think that was the key. :razz:

OVC1999
Waterboy

Post by OVC1999 »

At this point in the game, it just shouldn't be South Point residents supporting the Lady Pointers. All of southern Ohio should try and make it to Lancaster to support these girls! They are representing our area! Congrats on your win. You're making Lawerence County proud!

OVClocal
Freshman Team

Post by OVClocal »

Were the fans that were there loud? yes, I would just like to see the whole community support such a deep tourny run

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

OVC1999 wrote:At this point in the game, it just shouldn't be South Point residents supporting the Lady Pointers. All of southern Ohio should try and make it to Lancaster to support these girls! They are representing our area! Congrats on your win. You're making Lawerence County proud!

Hey that would be awesome!!! The more the better! I know the girls would love that. :-D

Now that they have made it into the "sweet sixteen", hopefully good 'ol Jim Walker will give us a great write up and motivate a lot of people to make it out to the game on Wednesday!

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

Good luck to the Lady Pointers!

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

Here is an article from the Ironton Tribune

Lady Pointers win district title
By JIM WALKER/Tribune Sports Editor
Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:11 AM EST
WAVERLY - The problem was easy to see. The solution would be the key.

The South Point Lady Pointers were tied 18-18 at halftime Saturday night in the Division III district championship game. The problem was stopping Adena Lady Warriors junior center Ashley Jordan who had scored 17 of the points.

The Lady Pointers were able to apply the solution and managed to escape with a thrilling 40-39 win over Adena for the district title.

“We went to a zone. It's something we really haven't worked on but we had used during the season,” said Lady Pointers coach Dave Adams.

“We made sure we identified the one shooter and kept it our of (Jordan's) hands. For the most part we played pretty good defense.”

Jordan manged just four points in the second half as the Lady Pointers defense double- and triple teamed her each time she got the ball.

Adena (14-8) had similar plans in defending the Lady Pointers Kayla Fletcher who had 18 points in the district semifinal win over Federal Hocking.

But that left the door open for Jalynn Bradburn who scored 21 points including a layup with 17 seconds left that gave South Point a 40-38 lead.

“They just left me open,” said Bradburn of her game-winning basket. “I just worked my game and got ready and I just tried my hardest.”

But the game was far from over.

Adena was called for traveling with eight seconds left and fouled Fletcher who missed the front end of a one-and-one. Jordan got the rebound but she traveled.

T'Ann Mayo was fouled with four seconds left but she couldn't connect on the one-and-one.

Adena's Kristin Snyder raced down the floor and was fouled with two-tenths of a second to play. Since it was the 10th South Point team foul, Snyder got two free throws.

Snyder hit the first shot, missed the second and Kirsti Yates follow up shot wouldn't fall as time expired.

South Point was just 16-for-48 from the field for the game and 5-of-11 from the foul line.

“We wanted the game to be quicker. We didn't get in any rhythm. They did a good job of switching defenses,” said Adams.

With Adena using a lot of zone, Adams said the Lady Pointers would flash Tinesha Taylor and Ericka Leighty inside looking for layups.

“They would got to the flash and Bradburn would be open and we got her the ball,” said Adams.

South Point took a 13-10 lead the first quarter with Jordan scoring all of Adena's points.

A triple by Mayo and two foul shots by Bradburn gave South Point an 18-14 lead, but Jordan's layup and a free throw by Yates tied the game with less than a second in the half.

Brytan Givens trifecta to begin the second half gave Adena its first lead at 21-18.

Two more free throws by Bradburn and another trey by Mayo put South Point back in front for good at the 5:04 mark.

Bradburn's 3-poiner gave the Lady Pointers their biggest lead at 28-21, but Jordan and Megan Davidson hit layups to cut the gap to 28-25 to close the quarter.

Jordan hit the front end of a one-and-one with 1:19 to play that tie the game at 36-36. Mayo's 19-footer gave the lead back to South Point only to have Yates put-back with 44 seconds left tie the game and set up the wild finish.

South Point (17-6) will play at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the regional semifinals at Lancaster High School against Sugarcreek Garaway.

Adena 10 8 7 14 = 39

South Point 13 5 10 12 = 40

ADENA (14-8): Megan Davidson 1 0 0-0 2, Kirsti Yates 1 0 1-2 3, Ashley Jordan 9 0 3-6 21, Kristin Snyder 0 0 3-4 3, Brytan Givens 0 2 2-2 8, Brooke Snyder 0 0 0-0 0, Carly Frazier 1 0 0-0 2. Totals: 14-39 9-14 39. 3-point goals: 2-6 (Givens 2-3, K. Snyder 0-3). Fouls: 13. Fouled out: None. Rebounds: 7 offense, 17 defense, 5 team. Total rebounds: 29 (Jordan 10, Yates 9). Assists: 4 (Yates 2). Steals: 6 (Givens 3). Turnovers: 20.

SOUTH POINT (17-6): T'Ann Mayo 1 2 0-1 8, Kayla Fletcher 1 0 1-3 3, Ericka Leighty 2 0 0-2 4, Jalynn Bradburn 7 1 4-5 21, Tinesha Taylor 2 0 0-0 4, Ashley Goodall 0 0 0-0 0. Totals: 16-48 5-11 40. 3-point goals: 3-16 (Mayo 1-7, Fletchdr 0-3, Bradburn 1-6). Rebounds: 10 offense, 16 defense, 4 teams. Total rebounds: 30 (Leighty 9, Taylor 8). Assists: 7 (Mayo 4). Steals: 11 (Fletcher 5, Leighty 3). Turnovers: 17.

dolittle
Riding the Bench

Post by dolittle »

Good job Lady Pointers. Keep focused and good luck against Garaway.

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

Here is an article from the Herald Dispatch

Bradburn leads South Point over Adena in sectional final
Feb 23, 2008 @ 11:30 PM
The Herald-Dispatch

WAVERLY, Ohio -- The postseason is supposed to be a time when veteran players step up to lead their team to victory.

Someone forgot to tell South Point's girls basketball freshmen that secret.

Jalynn Bradburn poured in 21 points to lead the Pointers past Adena, 40-39, in the Ohio Division III Sectional title game at Waverly High School on Saturday night.

"They just don't realize how big it is yet," South Point coach David Adams said.

The Warriors had watched on Monday as freshman guard Kayla Fletcher diced through the Federal Hocking lineup, scoring at will. Adena focused its defense on stopping Fletcher, and that opened the door for classmate Bradburn, who took full advantage.

Bradburn scored 13 of her 21 points in the second half and the Pointers needed every single one to hang on in an exciting finish.

South Point had its chances to put the game away at the foul line, but missed those opportunities and Adena's Kristin Snyder was fouled with .2 seconds left and the Warriors trailing by two. Snyder hit the first, but missed the second one as the Pointers held on for the win.

Defensive adjustments helped South Point earn the win as it limited Adena's Ashley Jordan, who finished with 21 points, to just four points in the second half.

The Pointers switched from a matchup man-to-man defense into a packed-in zone to limit Jordan's touches after she had scored all but one of Adena's points in the first 16 minutes.

"We started the game wanting to contain her and let no one else get anything. She had 17 of their 18 so that plan obviously wasn't working," Adams said. "We had to force someone else to do something. We wanted the tempo to be faster paced, but once we realized it wasn't going to speed up, we had to force them to hit outside shots."

The move worked as South Point started the third quarter on a 10-3 run to build a 28-21 lead before the Warriors cut it to three going into the final period.

South Point moves into the Lancaster Regional where they will take on Sugarcreek Garaway at Lancaster H.S. at 8 p.m. Sugarcreek Garaway is ranked No. 9 in the state in Division III.

ADENA 10 8 7 14 -- 39: Ashley Jordan 21, Davidson 2, Yates 3, Frazier 2, K. Snyder 3, Givens 8.

SOUTH POINT 13 5 10 12 -- 40: Mayo 8, Fletcher 3, Leighty 4, Jalynn Bradburn 21, Taylor 4.

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

And then an article from the Chillicothe Gazette...however in the article they say the basket by Tinesha Taylor with 16 seconds to go...I think if I remember correctly, that was Bradburn instead of Taylor.

A shot shy of 16

By PHIL GRAY
Gazette Sports Writer

WAVERLY - With the game on the line, it came down to two free throws.

But that's not really what made the difference for Adena.

South Point's Tinesha Taylor put her team up by a bucket with 16 seconds to go, giving Adena time enough to put together something in hopes of another miracle comeback win.
And this is what really made the difference in the Lady Warriors' 40-39 loss to the Pointers in the Division-III district finals Saturday night.

At least part of it.

On the ensuing inbound, Adena turned the ball over immediately on a traveling violation.

After South Point missed a free throw after a quick Warriors' foul...

... Adena traveled with the ball again.

Still, the Warriors had a chance. For the second time after an Adena turnover, the Lady Pointers missed the front end of a one-and-one chance from the line. Adena's press-breaker outlet went to Kristin Snyder, standing just on the Warriors side of the time line as the final second wound off the clock.

And Snyder was fouled.

With two-tenths of a second on the clock.

In a two-point game.

With the weight of the win-or-go-home reality of the district tournament hanging heavy over the upcoming free throws.

"No - I can't imagine the pressure she was under," said Lee Snyder, who watched Kristin step to the line not only as her coach, but with the emotion of a dad feeling for his daughter, too.

Kristin Snyder buried the first. Then missed the second.

"We've all played sports, and sometimes you're in those pressure situations," coach Snyder said. "Sometimes you come through, sometimes you don't. She's a level-headed kid, and there's not another kid on the team that I'd rather have on the line in that situation. It just ..."

Coach Snyder trailed off.

Because it just didn't go through the hoop.

For the second straight year, Adena's season ends one step shy of the Sweet 16, a distinction the Lady Warriors had their sights on even before things tipped off against the Pointers. For the second straight year, Adena's season ended in a so-close, so-far situation - last year was a two-point loss to South Webster; this year was a one-point loss to South Point.

Two district runner-up distinctions in two years.

By a total of three points.

"Two years in a row, we were one play short," Coach Snyder said. "It's kind of been a microcosm of our season. We've come close to big wins in some situations - just like tonight."

Adena threatened to pull away early in the third quarter when freshman Brytan Givens buried a 3 30 seconds into the second half to give the Warriors' a 21-18 advantage. But the Warriors went cold after that, allowing South Point to re-take control and build its own lead at 28-21 with a little less than two minutes to go.

"Right there, it would have been easy to roll over," Lee Snyder said. "That was a tough stretch after Brytan hit that 3. We had opportunities, had the chance to get out to a big lead, but we couldn't do it."

Meaning the Warriors had to go to work digging out of a big hole.

Which they managed to do.

Halfway through the fourth quarter, Givens hit a pair of free throws to bring her team back within one point. After a Pointers bucket, Kristin Snyder hit a pair and Ashley Jordan made good on one of two free throws with 1:19 to go, thus tying the game at 36.

After that, the teams traded buckets until Taylor's game-deciding layup for South Point, again leaving the Warriors one play short of the Sweet 16.

But maybe even hungrier than before.

"It's disappointing, and obviously the girls are disappointed for this to happen," Coach Snyder said. "But to get to this point, this is what we've been trying to build up to for the last several years. Now hopefully we can take that extra step and build on what we've done so far."

South Point heads to the Division-III regionals carrying a 17-6 record. Adena's season ends with a 15-7 overall mark.

Safetyman
Riding the Bench

Post by Safetyman »

Congratulations girls on your last victory. Keep up the hard work, and good luck in the Sweet 16. (what a talented group of girls, especially these freshman) Lots of March ball coming the next few years!

Return to “Girls Basketball”