Lady Chiefs 2007-2008

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

kyr: My opinion... AAU is "excellent" if used effectively, however, it is not for everyone. I believe AAU offers an excellent opportunity for the player who wants to improve their game, build confidence, experience different game situations, meet new friends and experience the thrill of being able to play against top players in our state and even the nation. Hey, and these AAU coaches spend hours and hours on "fundamentals - offensively & defensively"...... just like our high school coaches do, contrary to those who think otherwise! It's great exposure for those really serious players who have a desire to play in college. Logan's Lady Chiefs' history is built on some solid AAU experience...... Tami Hampshire, Melissa Cooper, Tez Kraft, Nikki Tucker, Alex Herman, Brittany Myers, Kathy Kernen, Kristen Thompson, Erin Thompson, Katie McBroom, Kristen Cassady, Jessica Harris just to name a few and who else but ...... Katie Smith. These players contributed to the success of Logan's basketball program and some had the opportunity go on play at the college level. Logan, Ohio was put on the map by the legendary Katie Smith of the WNBA and also the US Olympic team. Now that is solid stuff!!! There have been excellent AAU coaches that were high school coaches and others who were not. Logan's basketball legend, Mr. Jim Myers, spent many years coaching AAU teams. The late Don Thompson, Kayla's father, was also an excellent AAU coach. He coached with a passion and desire to make his players better.

As for the recruiting issue, or should I say "accusations" of recruiting..... I've been around the different AAU clubs/teams for a long time and I can honestly say, I've never seen any recruiting. I can't think of a single Logan player who left their high school team to go to another school team that was coached by their AAU coach. These coaches are geniunely interested in helping these kids become better. For the most part, they are also volunteering their time with no compensation.... at least I know the ones in this area are that way.

As I said earlier, AAU is not for everyone. It takes a certain individual who is willing to dedicate the time and put forth the effort. As far as expense, yes, it can become expensive and that creates a burden on some families. Many of the local clubs, however, try to keep costs down for their players/families with fundraisers. I would suggest that if the player is experiencing "burn out", then its time to take a break or leave the AAU program. This can happen in any sport.

As mentioned by "101" approximately 15 kids from the eighth grade up are actively in AAU. That's not even mentioning the many younger kids who are spending some of their summer time on the basketball court in the AAU arena. These younger kids look up to players like Jessica Harris and hope and dream that maybe someday, they'll be able to on the varsity team for the Lady Chiefs. Girls basketball is very alive and thriving in Logan. We should support these kids for setting goals to be a better player, learning good sportsmanship and working to becoming a "team player. If some of them want to join the AAU ranks, then let them. It's their choice. Coach Walsh expects his players to be dedicated to the sport and the Logan program. These kids are getting themselves ready for that dedication. He knows, he has come to watch and support many of the kids that play AAU in Logan.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

md2020, great post, I agree with you completely.

I just want some fine tuning to the system, the AAU season is almost as long as the regular season if not longer. Also, you are snoozing, because there is recruiting going on. If these things can be fixed I would be more than supportive for AAU, because there are a lot of benefits to playing.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

kyr: I can only speak from my own experience on the recruiting by AAU coaches. I have no personal knowledge of this happening but I am aware of the talk such as your post. I can not let this one issue detract from the basic benefits of this program.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

I am not saying it isn't beneficial. I am just saying that HIGH SCHOOL coaches, especially HEAD Varsity Coaches should not have their hands in this.

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

I don't think there are very many school coaches involved because of the rule about only two kids from one school per team, and the no contact periods and all that. At least in this area.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

kyr: im with md. I haven't seen any recruiting on the girls side of things. i don't know of any head coach in this area that does it. i still love ya though. You don't know me I'll bet i know you. lol.

Nagol1
Freshman Team

Post by Nagol1 »

I'm looking for me
You're looking for you
We're looking in at each other
And we don't know what to do

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

Qualified, if you really know who I am, then you know that I am honest and only speak the truth. Also for the last time, I am not saying AAU is bad, I am just saying that there should be some adjustments.

Nagol1
Freshman Team

Post by Nagol1 »

Enough of AAU$$$! How are the Lady Chiefs going to do this year?

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

The right AAU Program, especially in the elementary levels, teaches kids the fundamentals. The freshmen that have played AAU for several years are usually ready to start varsity. There is a lot of resentment towards those kids and AAU, because of that. But those kids and their parents sacrificed time and money and other activities in order to develop the sport of their choice. I know lots of AAU kids that are involved in lots of other sports or activities, even during the AAU season. So what if AAU is almost as long as the regular season, That is a choice that those kids make. At least they have a choice. The right program encourages kids to stay involved in other activities, and they are excused from practice for softball games, choir, band or whatever. It is usually the parents that choose not to sacrifice for AAU that are resentful, because their child is often times on the bench, while little Sally, who started AAU at the age of 10 is now a freshmen starting on varsity. I for one have chosen to do what is necessary to give my children all the possible advantages to suceed in school, sports and life. And have not regretted one moment of it. If you make certain choices, then you have certain outcomes.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

Enough AAU stuff.

The Lady Chiefs should be playing for a league and district title this year in my eyes. They just have to have the right mindset.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

kyr: Mind set will be great but there are obvious keys to the success of this team this year. They have the talent, we have the coaching staff in place for several years running so the building blocks are there .can we put them into a structure that will stand?

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

kyr- sorry for voicing my opinion on AAU. I know that two freshmen are being looked at for varsity, one of them as a potential 4 year starter at PG. I also know that there is much resentment towards these two. These two wouldn't be ready for varsity without the sacrifices they and their parents made to get them ready thru AAU. And now I'm done talking about AAU.

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

Unless there is a really good response to this that gets me fired up again :evil:

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

Girls Varsity will be a .500 to .600 ball club this year. They have great girls but will be outsized this year. The older girls are very good but there seems to be alot of one on one mentality with some of the Junior girls. Sophs are average. should move 4 or 5 freshmen up to Varsity to get some experience. We should have a powerhouse team in 2 years. these are the facts, some will disagree but these are the facts. Good luck to Carissa, Jessica, and Collette this year. We will see how the coaching goes with a new JV coach that hasn't been part of the program for a while.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

I do not see a lot of help coming to the varsity at least at the beginning of the season from the JV team. Sophs Klingenburg of course played some last year. Vermillion could dress and I expect Toph a freshman to suit up some also. More help is likely for the JV team from the freshman class. Murphy, Graf, Smith and maybe another could help bolster the roster here. There is work to be done here because we will reap what is sowed. So how important is the new coach for the JV in this picture?

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

qualified-Are you kidding that you think that might be .500!?!?! I am expecting more like 14-15 wins. This is the best team coach Walsh has had in his tenure. John Wooden always said it isn't how big you are, it is how big you play. Harris, Thompson, and M. Hoffman (sorry if I forgot someone)will do fine in the post this year. They have 3 returning starters, two of the them have been all league (Harris, Bolen). The other two spots are up for grabs, which I truly believe will make practices much more competitive, which in turn will make the players better. This is the varsity level, and the best players play, whether it is a freshmen or a senior. Coach Huntsberger will do fine by the way he is a great coach and motivator.

ole chief-There shouldn't be resentment, if they are good enough to play, they are good enough to play.

Not everyone on the team has to be a scorer to be important to a team. Hopefully everyone will learn and know their roles and this could be a tough team to play this year. If they don't like their roles, like on any team, they should work even harder, on their own and on the court. If a player really wants to play and really wants to help the team they will do their best at whatever is asked from them, even if it is something they may not necessarily agree with.

It is pretty cool to see this on its fourth page, and volleyball/soccer/tennis/band/cross country season hasn't even started yet.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

kyr: I also believe this will be a banner year. Team chemistry will be a big factor in this success. You are right. This is varsity ball.
Best players play, but there is a place for all players on this team to be a big contributor to this program. We should expect to win with Harris in the game and playing her game. The big IF is winning when she is not in the game. IF we can win these games it will indeed be a great season.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

Right you are.

Return to “Girls Basketball”