Lady Chiefs 2007-2008

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Rick Nelson!!!! - I should have known that masterchief ... Rick's a good coach ... gets a lot out of his players in all the sports he coaches ...

... slow down there masterchief - I don't even know IF the rule about hiring certified personnel first has anything to do with THIS situation ... was ONLY going through the ranks because I DIDN'T get any response from anyone in the forum ... so relax !!! I'm SURE Coach Walsh WILL/DOES have a say in who his coaches are/will be ...

... as far as "WHAT IF Burns gets hired and doesn't listen to a darn word Coach Walsh has to say" ... I'm not privy to any information about the girls program here ... not sure why YOU would say something like that MC ... you know something the rest of us don't ... or are you just throwing darts ... whichever it is you appear not to care for Coach Burns??? ... who are the candidates that have turned in bids on the position MC ? maybe Burns didn't bid on the position ... inquiring minds want to know what YOU know Masterchief 02 ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Emily Hughes tore her ACL again ? softball ? summer hoops ? ... hate to hear that MC ... she has had no luck with the injury situations at all in her career ... we all wish her a speedy recovery ...

... thanks for the info Masterchief ...

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

pfloyd, I would say that the two people you mentioned for the J.V. job (Hermann and Burns) will not be coaching J.V. next year.

masterchief_2
Varsity

Post by masterchief_2 »

pfloyd When i mentioned Burns not doing a dam thing Coach Walsh says i was only using that to explain things a little better. All i am saying is that you have to have the RIGHT coaches to build a great program. Walsh is on top, and i am sure the right choices WILL be made. I sure hope so at least.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

KYR ... did either of the two even bid on the position ? I noticed that the position was still being posted on the Logan Website yesterday ... anyone know who HAS bid on the position ? ...

... IF Burns or Hermann didn't bid on the position that would open the door for others outside the certified staff to apply/or be handpicked by Coach Walsh - Kennard and Nelson would surface as contenders neither of whom work for the school system other than through supplemental contracts (Kennard 8th grade girls coach/Nelson JV Baseball/7th grade girls hoops) ...

... read like a "freudian slip" to me masterchief ... can't see how saying that one of the coaches (using Burn's name) would not do as the HEAD coach says clears ANYTHING up ONLY adds to what sounds like a really BAD "dig" on one of the coaches in the girls program (who may or may not have bid on the position) ... you didn't say "what if one of the middle school coaches or the certified staff coach didn't do a "darn" thing " YOU pointed your finger specifically at/named Burns "not doing a darn thing Coach Walsh says" - tell us how YOU really feel ... or maybe you have ???

... you obviously have some STRONG feelings on the issue of "certified staff" getting hired for coaching positions over non staff persons ... as far as building a "great program" ? I totally agree that the right personnel need to be in the right positions no matter the sport from top to bottom to EVEN HAVE what would be considered a "program" ... from what YOU posted it sounded like the most important thing to YOU was that the JV coach whoever that would be is to be "yes person" for the head coach ... maybe I'm reading more into it than was there ... set me straight please ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I just read your post again masterchief ... you obviously know more about the girls coaching side of things than I do - I'm not even going to pretend I know much about the players/coaches etc. that's a non-issue because I don't LOL ... sooooooo you are saying that IF Burns was hired as the JV coach - she would not be the "right" coach to help build a "great program" ? ... let's do a little OGT type questioning here - this is a 4 point question - Why? or Why not? ... let's be equal opportunity employers here do the same for Coach Hermann, Coach Kennard, Coach Nelson ???? ... and any "outside the box" bidders you might know about ... thanks in advance for enlightening me ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... just read the "description" for the Reserve Position that is on the Logan Website ... says that it is open to "certified" persons ... to me that sounds like the ONLY bids that are being accepted at THIS time are those of 'certified" persons in the school district ie. Coach Hermann and/or Coach Burns within the girls program are the ONLY ones who qualify ... Kennard/Nelson can't even bid on the position (yet) ... the bids (if any from certified staff) are to be looked over by Christy Bosch (who is in charge of hiring personnel/Asst. Superintendent) first ... as to what happens from that point on ? ... IF there are certified staff interested - interview process ? ... sent to the AD to determine who the contract is going to be offered to ? ... sent to the AD & Coach Walsh to discuss the applicants - come to a consensus ? ... IF an applicant from within the district "isn't" selected a reason must be given to the applicants as to why they were not selected ? ... if the applicant(s) isn't satisfied with the reason it can become a "union issue" ????? ... I don't know ... we will watch the process in the next week or so ... saw where the posting for certified bidders is up until the 16th of July ...

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

Wow, great information. It could get interesting, probably won't though. In most cases doesn't it come down to who the Head Coach and AD recommend? I think the best thing would to do is be patient and time will tell us who will get the job. We can speculate all we want, but it's not our decision to make.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

KYR ... you take all the fun out of it !!! LOL ... I would think that "who" the head coach wants has a great deal to do with it ... not sure how the "who the coach wants" plays out IF it is in conflict with the "contractual issue" - which it may NOT be in conflict with at all (only speculation on my part)... and you are right speculating only makes good "press" LOL AND it is not our decision to make ... I'll lean back in my rocking chair , have another bottled water, and wait for the shoe to drop ...

masterchief_2
Varsity

Post by masterchief_2 »

pfloyd all i want is for the right person to be hired. I hope great success comes out of the girls program for many of years down the road, and it starts off with coaching. I am done talking about this issue, untill someone is hired.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... everyone wants the right person hired as it effects the "final product" as the players move through the system ... masterchief you have already "spoken/posted volumes" as to YOUR "feelings" on the subject of who or more to the poiint who should NOT be hired for the JV position - THAT in itself only widens any coherency between "levels" in a program ... the coaches involved ... and finally imo makes for lack of trust, communication, cooperation among the coaching staff ...

... sorry for the sermon but since you posted your feelings as to "the rule" and your feeling that the "school district rule is a joke" - I thought I would throw out my own view on how even little things that are said/posted can be influential in making or breaking a program ...

... Coach Walsh will make the right choice I'm sure as who he feels comfortable with in preparing the girls who are "one pass away" from the Varsity show ... and that is a big part of the decision I would think as well - the head coach's comfort level with whom is chosen ... no matter the selection - if in fact there is a selection LOL ... it may be a done deal and the posting is but a formality LOL ... then ALL of this chat is for naught LOL ... a JV coach will be in place before the season starts of that I'm sure LOL ...

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Post by Flatulence »

Time for some hot air! It sounds to me like there is a contractual agreement between the union and school board which says anyone who applies internally and is a member of the certified staff is to be hired. If that is the case then the new coach will come from the union members, as it should be. In my humble opinion if someone wishes to coach then they need to go to college, get a teaching degree, start teaching and then begin coaching. If they are not willing to perform such a sacrifice then how can they ask athletes to sacrifice and do whatever it takes? That ought to stimulate some debate! Whew, feel better since that gas bubble passed.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I agree 100% Sir Flatulence ... there has to be a "connection" with the kids imo ... by the way Sir Flatulence looking forward to more "gas bubbles" on the Hilltop this year LOL ...

... more later on this one ...

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

Flatulence, the only problem with your profound statement is that most teachers nowadays don't want to coach. Look at other teams in Logan and other communities there is a growing amount of coaches that aren't teachers.

I agree with Masterchief, we should leave this rest, let's not make a big deal out of this.

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Post by Flatulence »

You do have a point Know Your Role, by the way do you know the remainder of this saying that The Rock used on WWE?

Pink Floyd, maybe you should need to change your handle to Queen now that you have knighted me as "sir." And I am not so sure I wish to be tossed in with Elton John!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Sir Flatulence prancing around in 'tights" aka - Freddie Mercury like is NOT my style LOL ... more of a laid back Dark Side of the Moon , On the Run, Us and Them kind of guy ...

... "most" teachers ? ... not sure if "most" as a blanket statement fits BUT the " joke of a rule" that masterchief enlightened us as to HIS feelings toward "school policies" - the "contractual" policy DOES ALLOW for certified staff the FIRST opportunity bidding on "supplemental contracts" of which coaching IS one of many within the school system ... should there be NO TAKERS among the ranks of the certified staff THEN the bidding is open to non-certified personnel ... IF someone outside the school system's certified staff wants into the coaching ranks then he/she would be volunteering their services until an opening is available , they then must wait out the certified bidding process etc. ... IF the non-certified person wants in - as Flatulence posted - a person should get the college degree/get hired into the system/then have the "contractual" bidding rights of ALL certified staff ... otherwise be happy coaching AAU and biddy ball teams ... without the "joke of a rule" as masterchief alludes to? THINK of ALL the people that COULD bid on high school supplemental contracts NOT just "coaching" but ALL supplemental contracts of which "coaching" positions are in the minority ...

... let the beatings begin ...

... as far as "not making a big deal out of this - the JV hiring - I believe it was MADE a big deal based on the "statements made" by those close to the situation ... otherwise I wouldn't be posting on this issue at all ...

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

On the boys basketball side of things, several years ago a certain teacher wanted to coach the 7th grade boys, but did not get the position. It went to a non-certified person. This non-certified person, has a wife that is among the ranks of certified personnel, so obviously there are ways around this rule.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... interesting ole chief ... seems that there are ALWAYS ways around "issues" whether they are contractual or program ... thanks for the info ...

masterchief_2
Varsity

Post by masterchief_2 »

I just believe that most qualified individual should get the job. Whether its a teacher or somebody outside of the school system.

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Post by Flatulence »

Please define "most qualified." Once again, in my opinion, when one wishes to be an electrician one must "train" and apprentice. The same can be said for plumbing. At the Mead Paper Mill in Chillicothe in order to be an operator or pipe fitter not just any ole Tom, Dick, or Harry can be hired because they are "buddies." I have no idea if that is what is happening in this case, but if it is then someone needs to be taken to the woodshed. Furthermore, when I attended high school ALL coaches had to be teachers----it was a requirement. Therefore, I reiterate, if there is a contractual agreement then it is to be followed-period. If it is not a grievance needs to be filed and pursued-period. Furthermore, if there are teachers being hired who do not wish to do any extracurricular activities then: 1) the coaches are not making their situation known to the administration; 2) they are but the administration is not listening; 3) the question is not being asked during interviews. This does not seem that difficult to me. And I will repeat that if someone wishes to coach then that someone needs to get a teaching degree or become an employee of the school system. Imagine a school teacher getting in to be a lawyer without any qualifying standards being met just because they want to. Or a brain surgeon. Or a medic. Or an automobile mechanic. It is a disservice and a disrespect to the profession. There, now that was a serious gas bubble.

Return to “Girls Basketball”