Whiteoak plays in overtime with 1 player

Gopher
Varsity

Re: Whiteoak plays in overtime with 1 player

Post by Gopher »

Ironman92 wrote:
ManitouDan2 wrote:I think its worthy of mentioning the rather astounding softball game between these same two schools last year ... my apologies if it was actually PV and some one else .. but PV's pitcher struck out 21 batters in a 7 inning game and gave up something like 6-8 runs ?? Strange results up in that area .
Yep...it was WO vs PV
Nope, it was PV vs. Fairfield. Mikayla Newland had 21 Ks (Tied for 1st in OSHAA recordbook for Ks in a 7 inning game) and lost to Fairfield Leesburg.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Gopher wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:
ManitouDan2 wrote:I think its worthy of mentioning the rather astounding softball game between these same two schools last year ... my apologies if it was actually PV and some one else .. but PV's pitcher struck out 21 batters in a 7 inning game and gave up something like 6-8 runs ?? Strange results up in that area .
Yep...it was WO vs PV
Nope, it was PV vs. Fairfield. Mikayla Newland had 21 Ks (Tied for 1st in OSHAA recordbook for Ks in a 7 inning game) and lost to Fairfield Leesburg.
Either way, 21 Ks is enough outs, if converted to outs, to complete the whole game without getting another out in any other way, and is a sad indicator of the quality of the defensive play, maybe even the pitcher herself! I wonder how many assists or put outs(that were not Ks) were credited to the losers. Was their fielding average, other than assists and put outs in converting a strike-out, a record low of 0.000?

Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

Here is the old article on that game.

http://highlandcountypress.com/main.asp ... nID=81&S=1

Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

Now to return to the regularly scheduled programming:

I hope that the unusual outcome of this game does not overshadow the huge accomplishment of Miss Emma Wardlow. Yeah, it was weird. May even set a precedence for Whiteoak opponents in the future. Play them physical, create fouls, their team will run out of players, and you will win. But it is still a huge testament to the hard work, sacrifice, and effort a single player on this team has accomplished.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Gopher wrote:Here is the old article on that game.

http://highlandcountypress.com/main.asp ... nID=81&S=1
Thanks, very interesting.

Nickel back
Waterboy

Post by Nickel back »

I know the rule is 5 quarters a night and so many for a season but cant you enter the game receive a technical foul for playing your 6 th quarter of the nigh and stay in And play the rest of that quarter? Sounded like a crazy game. Congrats to the young lady on her 1000 point .

turnover
Waterboy

Post by turnover »

I believe if you enter for a 6th quarter, you are receive a technical, are removed from the game (more than 5 quarters, and the 6th quarter counts on your total for the year.

If the game is over when you reach one player left (and I'm not arguing the rule), couldn't the game end in a tie? For example, Team A is up two, Team B (with two players left) comes down and hits a two (tie game). Team B player gets fifth foul and Team A misses both free throws. Worse yet. Instead of Team B hitting a two, they hit a three and the fifth foul occurs and Team A misses both. Team B wins the game.

I would assume that the game ends in a forfeit with Team A getting the win in both cases, although I'm not sure.

Anyway, Congrats to Emma. 1,000 points is a great accomplishment!!

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Sorry. I think it is pathetic. The game has rules. Learn to play actual defense.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

turnover,
OT is an extension of the 4th quarter. If a player was in the game in the 4th quarter then he/she is not charged a quarter or 2,3 of play according to how long OT is. If a player was not in the game at all in the 4th quarter then he/she will be charged a quarter for however long the OT is. I hope this helps you.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote:turnover,
OT is an extension of the 4th quarter. If a player was in the game in the 4th quarter then he/she is not charged a quarter or 2,3 of play according to how long OT is. If a player was not in the game at all in the 4th quarter then he/she will be charged a quarter for however long the OT is. I hope this helps you.
For the record....the game was finished (clock expired) with just the 1 player.

wvabuckeye
Waterboy

Post by wvabuckeye »

Per Rule 3-1 article 1
Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain.

NOTE: A team must begin the game with five players, but if it has no substitutes to replace disqualified or injured players, it must continue with fewer than five. When there is only one player participating for a team, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game

Go Bucks! Go Bengals!
Go Cavs! Go Reds! Go Indians!
Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

wvabuckeye wrote:Per Rule 3-1 article 1

NOTE: A team must begin the game with five players, but if it has no substitutes to replace disqualified or injured players, it must continue with fewer than five. When there is only one player participating for a team, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game
If the Refs called it a forfeit when down to 1 player and down by 11, would the stats from the game been cleared from the record? If so, this may have been the reason they let it play out with only 1.7 seconds left. I know this happened in a college softball game last year (no more pitchers to replace a sore one) and all stats from the game were cleared and one player lost credit for 2 HRs in the game.

http://www.rmusentrymedia.com/sports/20 ... l-to-play/

Emma Wardlow's 1000th point would not have been recorded in that game.

wvabuckeye
Waterboy

Post by wvabuckeye »

Gopher wrote:
wvabuckeye wrote:Per Rule 3-1 article 1

If the Refs called it a forfeit when down to 1 player and down by 11, would the stats from the game been cleared from the record? If so, this may have been the reason they let it play out with only 1.7 seconds left. I know this happened in a college softball game last year (no more pitchers to replace a sore one) and all stats from the game were cleared and one player lost credit for 2 HRs in the game.

http://www.rmusentrymedia.com/sports/20 ... l-to-play/

Emma Wardlow's 1000th point would not have been recorded in that game.
Gopher, according to rule 5-4 article one, her statistics would have stood as she was on the team ahead at the time of the forfeit,. If she was on the team that forfeited then the rule states the score to be 2-0. see below

The referee shall forfeit the game if a team refuses to play after being instructed to do so by any official. The referee may also forfeit a game if any player, team member, bench personnel or coach fails to comply with any technical-foul penalty, or repeatedly commits technical-foul infractions or other acts which make a travesty of the game. If the team to which the game is ­forfeited is ahead, the score at the time of forfeiture shall stand. If this team is not ahead, the score shall be recorded as 2 to 0 in its favor.

bare in mind, this rule is really intended for those bad cases because the one player playing is so rare.

Go Bucks! Go Bengals!
Go Cavs! Go Reds! Go Indians!

Return to “Girls Basketball”