5. Court House
6. Chillicothe
7. Hillsboro
8/9. Waverly/Logan Elm

Troy
Freshman Team

Re: Zane Trace Sectional

Post by Troy »

Based on both teams having 1 loss what basis do you feel gives Miami Trace the higher seed?

Looks like they've defeated some of the same teams and each time Jackson has been more impressive. Miami Trace may be the better team, but Jackson has the better resume.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

fighting_falcon wrote:
Pol Pot wrote:What was the final seeding? My point is Jackson went in with the best record but came out a #3, Marietta and Warren went 1-2, what's unfair about that? Falcon fan, are you really going to agree that a 10 win Warren deserved to be seeded over FU last season? That was a tough year to be in that sectional, didn't 4 teams win over 15 games (20 game schedule), yet now this one guy wants to talk about how unfair things are because a 10 win team wasn't #1 last year.
I am not saying that. I am saying politics go along way in those meetings. Until you can put your name on a line it is setup for the good ole boys to decide whatever they want. Jackson had a good record but lost to a Warren team (Warren won their league and Jackson was a member) and then of the 5 losses Warren had 3 were to Marietta. That did not stop the good ole boys from trying to pull off a power play. The Jackson coaches and a couple of others voted Jackson #1 seed. How do you vote yourself ahead of a team that won your league and beat you twice. I believe both Marietta and Warren advanced to the regional that year.
Only 1 coach votes and that year it was a girl coach....not much of a boys club.

However, I do get your point

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

The SCOL has 4 out of the 9 votes. And MT has beaten two Division I teams.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bman wrote:The SCOL has 4 out of the 9 votes. And MT has beaten two Division I teams.
They should ask Westfall, Greenfield and Vinton County who is better

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

MT substituted its backups into that game and Westfall made a run down 20 with its starters still in. Final wasn't indicative of the game. Greenfield-Trace is a big rivalry game.

I also could come back at you and say Jackson having to rally to barely beat a .500 Fairfield Union team isn't too impressive. FU isn't the same team it was a year ago. Each team has those type of games.

The only way I see Jackson getting the one is if they win out and Trace loses a few more.
Last edited by bman on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BannersnRafters
Riding the Bench

Post by BannersnRafters »

Not saying SOS should be only criteria, but it should weigh more than it does; "SCOL has 4 out of 9 votes" says all u need to know, find one more vote and Jackson....thanks for playing but no thanks...enjoy the #2 spot; it happens everywhere, not just SEO; develop a ranking system and force teams to play a certain # of teams from adjoining confs. for better clarity; heck, SEOAL teams only have 8 conf. games now, plenty of room to schedule

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I've stated repeatedly I don't care for the current sectional format and would like to go to an open draw. Maybe more politics will get more people on board.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

Ironman92 wrote:
fighting_falcon wrote:
Pol Pot wrote:What was the final seeding? My point is Jackson went in with the best record but came out a #3, Marietta and Warren went 1-2, what's unfair about that? Falcon fan, are you really going to agree that a 10 win Warren deserved to be seeded over FU last season? That was a tough year to be in that sectional, didn't 4 teams win over 15 games (20 game schedule), yet now this one guy wants to talk about how unfair things are because a 10 win team wasn't #1 last year.
I am not saying that. I am saying politics go along way in those meetings. Until you can put your name on a line it is setup for the good ole boys to decide whatever they want. Jackson had a good record but lost to a Warren team (Warren won their league and Jackson was a member) and then of the 5 losses Warren had 3 were to Marietta. That did not stop the good ole boys from trying to pull off a power play. The Jackson coaches and a couple of others voted Jackson #1 seed. How do you vote yourself ahead of a team that won your league and beat you twice. I believe both Marietta and Warren advanced to the regional that year.
Only 1 coach votes and that year it was a girl coach....not much of a boys club.

However, I do get your point
I knew it was a girl and I figured you got my point.

My reference to the good ole boys club actually goes back for a several years. Others have tried to get the SEODAB to change it but most of the reluctance came from some of the long time boys coaches. These coaches had alot of influence wit the board and it never went anywhere. They were able to get together and vote by league or whatever to help a coach get a win in the tourney to keep the fans and local admin off his back. Favors for favors. I saw it happen. Thus the "good ole boys". I just wanted other to know where I came up with that reference.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Ironman92 wrote:
MSL_Fan wrote:Thoughts on potential seeding as we draw closer to tourney time?....appears to be several competitive teams in this sectional this season....as of now I'd go....

Jackson
Miami Trace
Unioto
Circleville
Washington CH
Chillicothe
Hillsboro
Waverly
Logan Elm

Any chance someone can knock off Jackson or Trace and advance to the District???
Do only 2 get out to districts this year?
It's always been this way..This is still the infamously TOUGH Adena D2 sectional just being played in another location.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Trace and Jackson both lost

Trace lost by 12 to Clinton Massie and Jackson lost by 6 to Huntington St Joe

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

BannersnRafters wrote:Not saying SOS should be only criteria, but it should weigh more than it does; "SCOL has 4 out of 9 votes" says all u need to know, find one more vote and Jackson....thanks for playing but no thanks...enjoy the #2 spot; it happens everywhere, not just SEO; develop a ranking system and force teams to play a certain # of teams from adjoining confs. for better clarity; heck, SEOAL teams only have 8 conf. games now, plenty of room to schedule

Call it Cuz-in-fac-tor, self appointed strength of schedule. and his team is always the strongest!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

I am not saying that. I am saying politics go along way in those meetings. Until you can put your name on a line it is setup for the good ole boys to decide whatever they want. Jackson had a good record but lost to a Warren team (Warren won their league and Jackson was a member) and then of the 5 losses Warren had 3 were to Marietta. That did not stop the good ole boys from trying to pull off a power play. The Jackson coaches and a couple of others voted Jackson #1 seed. How do you vote yourself ahead of a team that won your league and beat you twice. I believe both Marietta and Warren advanced to the regional that year.[/quote]

However, I do get your point[/quote]

I knew it was a girl and I figured you got my point.

My reference to the good ole boys club actually goes back for a several years. Others have tried to get the SEODAB to change it but most of the reluctance came from some of the long time boys coaches. These coaches had alot of influence wit the board and it never went anywhere. They were able to get together and vote by league or whatever to help a coach get a win in the tourney to keep the fans and local admin off his back. Favors for favors. I saw it happen. Thus the "good ole boys". I just wanted other to know where I came up with that reference.[/quote]

Shows your lack of knowledge, starting 6 years ago, they went to a lock in vote system. If you cast your vote for a team at any seed that vote stays on he board until that team comes off. Only way one can manipulate the vote is to manipulate the opponent. Example is I don't want you in this seed, but I darn sure do not one you in the next spot, however once I vote Warren 2nd despite their .500 record and #2 SOS in the nation, behind only the schedule the old coach from Marietta played which made them #1 at 9-11. And in that system if a team is going to risk their vote at #2 seed but wants that team at the #5 because they do not want them in #3\#4 because they do not want that matchup, tough titty for the milk committee, as you vote me 2nd and I do not achieve this seed, I am locked in as your vote until I come off the board.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Massie is pretty good. They have to go through that brutal Southwest District with the best teams from Cincy and Dayton. If our teams had to go through that in D2, getting to districts would be about the farthest they advanced.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Massie is really good

Huntington St Joe just got done beating Africentric

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

Miami Trace's 3 losses were to just two really good teams....Massie twice and a very good Jamestown Greeneview team whose only loss was to DIV #5 Fayetteville-Perry by 10. MT was in the game all the way last night vs Massie. Miami Trace may have another loss before the draw.... they play a good New Knoxville team Sunday @ the Pickerington Central Shootout, McClain again who is a much improved team than earlier in the season and Ironton @ Ironton's Shootout (I don't know how good they are this year but are usually pretty good).

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

St. Joe's is playing up here in the Pickerington Central Shootout this weekend against a D1 team, so they must be really good.

Ironton plays a pretty tough schedule so its record is pretty deceiving.

When you look at Jackson and Trace, we have a 1A and 1B. I'm sure both can make compelling arguments for the top seed.

I know the 1 is coveted because that allows Jackson or Trace to avoid Athens until the district championship game, if both teams make it there.

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

I don't know what Jackson's SOS is like but Miami Trace has played a pretty decent schedule this year. as of 1/17, MT's opponents combined record is 123-78 so far this year.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mray23 wrote:I don't know what Jackson's SOS is like but Miami Trace has played a pretty decent schedule this year. as of 1/17, MT's opponents combined record is 123-78 so far this year.
1. Huntington St Joe....favorites to win their 6th WV State Championship, 4 all- state players with one signed to go to Notre Dame

2. Eastern Meigs 14-0 and favored to reach the Final 4

3. Fairland (Michigan signee 6'5) 13-2

4. Athens 17-0

5. Greenfield McClain 10-4

6. Westfall 12-6

7. Circleville 10-5?

8. Minford 10-5?

9. Fairfield Union regional finalist last year

10. Warren Local x2

11. Logan x2

12. Vinton County

14 very legitimate games

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

Ironman92 wrote:
mray23 wrote:I don't know what Jackson's SOS is like but Miami Trace has played a pretty decent schedule this year. as of 1/17, MT's opponents combined record is 123-78 so far this year.
1. Huntington St Joe....favorites to win their 6th WV State Championship, 4 all- state players with one signed to go to Notre Dame

2. Eastern Meigs 14-0 and favored to reach the Final 4

3. Fairland (Michigan signee 6'5) 13-2

4. Athens 17-0

5. Greenfield McClain 10-4

6. Westfall 12-6

7. Circleville 10-5?

8. Minford 10-5?

9. Fairfield Union regional finalist last year

10. Warren Local x2

11. Logan x2

12. Vinton County

14 very legitimate games
that's a pretty good schedule although I can't give you Fairfield Union as a legitimate game, they are 6-5 and not nearly what they were last year. both Jackson's and Miami Trace's schedules are very comparable. both have played a few of the same teams. also, just wondering how good Logan is because Chillicothe beat them earlier this year?

Return to “Girls Basketball”