All-SVC Selections

warningtrackpower
All Conference

All-SVC Selections

Post by warningtrackpower »

Below is a link to the official list (also on the page you will see a link to compare the official list to our SVCsportszone.com All-SVC Girls' Basketball Team) . . .

http://svcsportszone.com/2014gbballsvcofficial.html

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Re: All-SVC Selections

Post by Sid Farkus »

Are Huntington and Piketon the only 2 teams still alive in the tourney?

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

SVC champion Unioto was knocked out in the Sectional by Miami Trace. They are the largest school and the league simply does not prepare them for a tournament run and would expect the same to happen to their boys team. Would they be a better fit for the SCOL or MSL or will the SVC expand?

reliob
Freshman Team

Post by reliob »

Yes they are the only two teams left.

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

Shoelace wrote:SVC champion Unioto was knocked out in the Sectional by Miami Trace. They are the largest school and the league simply does not prepare them for a tournament run and would expect the same to happen to their boys team. Would they be a better fit for the SCOL or MSL or will the SVC expand?
shoelace, I agree with you about the SVC may not prepare the Lady Shermans for the teams they have play in the tournament who come from tougher leagues and are used to the more physical play.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Unioto did a decent job out of the league as they went and faced Miami Trace, Greenfield, Jackson during the season....likely others I'm unaware of (Circleville, Vinton Co?)

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote:Unioto did a decent job out of the league as they went and faced Miami Trace, Greenfield, Jackson during the season....likely others I'm unaware of (Circleville, Vinton Co?)
Vinton Co, Logan Elm (they had been solid for many years before this one), Bishop Hartley (#6 in Central D2), and were scheduled to play Logan as well. They usually challenge themselves very well outside of the SVC, which also will be a stronger league next season.

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

I saw them play VC this year and thought Unioto was very good with some very nice athletes but agree w Mray in that the SVC night n and out just does prepare them for the physical play in D2 tourney play.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

When East Clinton eventually leaves the SCOL for a smaller league, Unioto would be a nice school to replace them with.

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

bman wrote:When East Clinton eventually leaves the SCOL for a smaller league, Unioto would be a nice school to replace them with.
i agree, bman....they would fit in well in all sports. i don't know if this is true or not, but i heard Unioto was one school the SCOL was interested in a few years back when they were looking at adding schools.

Jerry Newman
Waterboy

Post by Jerry Newman »

It has become quite clear that Unioto does not belong in the SVC anymore. They have simply outgrown the league. They are twice the size of of some of the schools. It has to be somewhat discouraging to win a gold ball then not even be able to win your sectional. I also look for the same thing to happen with the boys.

svcbaseballfan
Freshman Team

Post by svcbaseballfan »

Why would Unioto want to leave the SVC Jerry? I think enrollment has little to do with this discussion. Why leave a league that is well respected in nearly all sports, has short travel times, and is usually competitive. It is not the Lady Sherman's fault the league was really down this year. Look at other leagues in the area, every year they are changing, collapsing, or having to combine. Not the SVC, it has great rivalries, strong fan bases which fill the stands, which is the important thing when it comes to leagues and budgeting for an Athletic Dept. Teams are able to schedule 8 non league games in basketball, that is more than enough to prepare you, with the combination of league games, to prepare for a post season tourney. And as far as being discouraging not winning a sectional title, do you realize the # of teams moving out of the sectional this year is cut in half from previous years. On the boys side, there are about 7 teams worthy of a sectional title when only 4 will get to the district. The SE district has 3 of the top teams in the state this year, and only 2 will get out of the sectional, does that mean they are not good teams or should change leagues, no, it means maybe we should look at the big picture sometimes!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I don't see Unioto leaving the SVC for the aforementioned history and rivalries. Seeing Chillicothe and Unioto playing in everything would be very interesting.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

svcbaseballfan wrote:Why would Unioto want to leave the SVC Jerry? I think enrollment has little to do with this discussion. Why leave a league that is well respected in nearly all sports, has short travel times, and is usually competitive. It is not the Lady Sherman's fault the league was really down this year. Look at other leagues in the area, every year they are changing, collapsing, or having to combine. Not the SVC, it has great rivalries, strong fan bases which fill the stands, which is the important thing when it comes to leagues and budgeting for an Athletic Dept. Teams are able to schedule 8 non league games in basketball, that is more than enough to prepare you, with the combination of league games, to prepare for a post season tourney. And as far as being discouraging not winning a sectional title, do you realize the # of teams moving out of the sectional this year is cut in half from previous years. On the boys side, there are about 7 teams worthy of a sectional title when only 4 will get to the district. The SE district has 3 of the top teams in the state this year, and only 2 will get out of the sectional, does that mean they are not good teams or should change leagues, no, it means maybe we should look at the big picture sometimes!

Of course! Why leave? They know they can win at a high percentage even of they are down. They have a huge advantage over every other team in the league. So what if they get beat in the sectionals each year! What's the tourney matter. What's important is that they can win a league title against a bunch of schools that are considerably smaller, poorer and more rural. That's the real challenge!

svcbaseballfan
Freshman Team

Post by svcbaseballfan »

Then why does the entire league struggle come tourney time this season? Against teams of similar size. Maybe its because the league was not as good this year.
Here are the most recent enrollment #'s
Adena-132
Huntington-158
Paint Valley- 112
Piketon-175
Southeastern-144
Unioto-229
Westfall- 193
Zane Trace- 202
Other than Paint Valley, Adena has the next smallest enrollment. Adena has recently won 2 SVC Basketball titles, an unreal # of Volleyball titles, and several softball titles. So how can they compete with a school like Unioto Sid? Maybe the kids WORK at it. Mabye these teams who win just outwork the other teams. These numbers tell me that size really doesn't play as big of a part as ability and work ethic. Remember Unioto offers more sports than any other SVC school also, Girls Soccer, Tennis, Swimming, indoor track.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

svcbaseballfan wrote:Then why does the entire league struggle come tourney time this season? Against teams of similar size. Maybe its because the league was not as good this year.
Huntington and Piketon both had league records around .500 and both are still playing in the tournament.

I don't care that Unioto is in the league, but if you do not think they are at a considerable advantage based on their size and location (more urban and wealthier than the other SVC schools) you are kidding yourself.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

svcbaseballfan wrote:
Here are the most recent enrollment #'s
Adena-132
Huntington-158
Paint Valley- 112
Piketon-175
Southeastern-144
Unioto-229
Westfall- 193
Zane Trace- 202
These numbers tell me that size really doesn't play as big of a part as ability and work ethic.
This is great. Let's look at this carefully now.

Enrollment...........................SVC finish
Unioto - 229.........................1. Unioto 14-0
Zane Trace - 202...................2. Zane Trace 11-3
Westfall - 193.......................2. Westfall 11-3
Piketon - 175........................4. Piketon 7-7
Huntington - 158....................5. Huntington 6-8
Southeastern - 144.................6. Southeastern 5-9
Adena - 132.........................7. Paint Valley 2-12
Paint Valley - 112...................8. Adena 0-14

Yes, size really doesn't play a big part in it. :122248

svcbaseballfan
Freshman Team

Post by svcbaseballfan »

Like I stated, look at previous years though, Adena was at the top. Adena is at the top of VB, Adena was at the top of Softball yet is the 2nd smallest school. Paint Valley won the league in Football with the smallest enrollment, Piketon won the league in Baseball who is middle of the pack. Yes size is a factor, but not the only factor.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

Looks like size was the only thing that mattered in girls' SVC basketball this year. After you posted the enrollment numbers that became very clear.

svcbaseballfan
Freshman Team

Post by svcbaseballfan »

You have yet to answer how other schools win league titles then? I'm not denying Unioto has an advantage with more kids to pick from, but there is much more to winning than numbers. With your logic the SVC should cancel the seasons and just give out a Gold Ball.

Return to “Girls Basketball”