Eastern (24-1) vs Newark Catholic (25-2)

MohawkMan
Waterboy

Re: Eastern (24-1) vs Newark Catholic (25-2)

Post by MohawkMan »

I agree that Eastern has a great team, but Burdette is obviously the standout. She scored 60% of the points for Eastern. I would not be surprised to see her win POY in D-IV. She is that good.

As for the writer, he is going to write the article knowing his audience. Not that he is biased (he's not even from this area originally), but the NC fans don't care about 2 blocks or 3 steals or 4 assists. Those aren't standout stats. Not bad, but not attention grabbers in an article.

And holding a normally good shooting team to under 33% is impressive. Although quite a few of those misses were open looks that were just off. As soon as Parkinson got in foul trouble. the team seemed to get tight. She is a leader on the floor and the way the fouls were called on her seemed to affect their confidence. But don't take that the wrong way. The Eastern defense was very good and had a lot to do with that, as well. I just haven't seen these girls miss open shots like they did on Saturday. There was a noticeable difference when Parkinson was in the game as opposed to when she was out.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

[/quote]
....... I'm not saying the outcome would have been different, but I wish we could have seen that game without her being targeted. Would have been epic.[/quote]

SO are you suggesting that the officials decided before the game to "target" her (your words not mine). I have been around basketball at all levels for over 45 years and I have seen some bad and good games by officials. I have never felt after watching a game that an official or group of officials planned to take a kid out of the game.

Tell me this, tell me why when a team loses the supporters of that team start to give out excuses. Officials, missed shots, game played at weird hours etc. Why not congratulate your team and wish the other team the best. What are we becoming as a society?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

eastern is far far far from being a one horse show . Burdette is good but the cast is awesome. She just happen to light up New Cath.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I might add that Jordan Parker is Easterns 2nd All time leading scorer on girls basketball with almost 1300 points

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Eastern has more than 1 star 2 1000 point scorer and all the rest plays a "BIG ROLE" my kid was a 1000, point scorer but not much around her, live the dream your all winners, GO LUCK.

bcnu
Freshman Team

Post by bcnu »

congrats to Jenna, 1st team All-Ohio, D4 co-player of the year.
congrats to Jordan, 2nd team All-Ohio
congrats to Erin, Honorable Mention All-Ohio

http://www.wkkj.com/articles/local-spor ... -12145905/

MohawkMan
Waterboy

Post by MohawkMan »

Congratulations to all three girls from Eastern who were recognized today. I had a feeling Burdette would be POY. From what I saw, she deserved it. And good luck on Thursday. That is an impressive team that seems to be very well coached and disciplined. They represent their school very well.

Now, as for my comments. I am not saying it was that calculated. 4 of Parkinson's fouls were called by one ref. And if you (fighting falcon) have been around the game for 45 years, and have never seen a ref call fouls differently on one player, then you've been sheltered. I remember playing against Lawrence Funderburke (dating myself) and seeing refs call fouls differently on him than anyone else in the game. That's what my point was with Parkinson. It seemed like she got calls that weren't even going against her own team. I'm not saying it was premeditated, or that there was some kind of conspiracy. My point was that the calls against her did not fit with how the rest of the game was called. It was very physical both ways. I'm fine with that. They were pretty consistent, except for with her. A few of her calls were very questionable. Especially the last one, where she did not move and Burdette did a nice lean-in and created contact. She was stationary, did not lean and did not reach. Yet was called for the foul. Those were not called on anyone else the whole night. The female ref tried to make up for it with the blocking foul that Blacksten got. She should have been called for a charge. But that didn't change what had already happened.

Finally, I am NOT saying it would have changed the outcome. Eastern is definitely one of the best teams in the state yet again. I'm just saying I didn't feel like she was treated the same by the refs, especially the bald one.

Ok, go ahead. Have fun with my response. :)

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

This was a great game to watch. I'm a Sheridan graduate (the school Parkinson was poached from after her freshman year lol) she is a terrific player. These were two great teams. Could the outcome have been different with Parkinson on the floor? Certainly, but it wasn't. Three of her fouls were legitimate in my opinion. The first charge was a flop, she pivoted and wasn't making a move toward the basket, bad call. The second foul was legit.....here in lies the problem....a poor coaching choice. You have the lead, mid first quarter, she gets here second foul and you leave her in. Everyone in the gym knew she was getting that next one and it was a foul. Her fourth foul (and one for Burdette) was a touch foul, but the official who called it is a good official who does a great job (yes, I said a female official does a great job). Foul five was legit as well.
If you are an aggressive player like Parkinson you will always have a call or two against you, each game has a questionable call or two on both teams. I thought the officiating was balanced. NC returns everyone and has a great shot next season, Eastern was the better team, as a neutral observer. Burdette is my favorite player to watch, boys or girls. Parker is very good and they have terrific role players. NC has two terrific players and some nice role players as well.

playing2win
Waterboy

Post by playing2win »

[quote="newlex/sheridan"]This was a great game to watch. I'm a Sheridan graduate (the school Parkinson was poached from after her freshman year lol) she is a terrific player.
What is your comment to this NewarkCatholicFan? Parkinson played last year also after transferring following her freshman year. Also noticed that Durbin, who is a junior and played significant minutes, wasn't on the NC roster last year. But we all know it's a level playing field for public and private schools since open enrollment.

MohawkMan
Waterboy

Post by MohawkMan »

Just because someone changes schools doesn't mean they were recruited. Not sure, but I think she may live in Newark now. Would that change anything? Or does every transfer have to be recruited, regardless of the situation?

Return to “Girls Basketball”