Eastern (24-1) vs Newark Catholic (25-2)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Eastern (24-1) vs Newark Catholic (25-2)

Post by Ironman92 »

Awesome....congrats and take it all

Gregg811
Varsity

Post by Gregg811 »

Congrats from Wildcat Country. Way to go Eastern.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

CONGRATS LADY EAGLES!!!!

hardfowl
All State

Post by hardfowl »

Congrats Lady Eagles !!!!!
Thursday's state semi-final game can be heard on Retro 92.1 FM and also online at www.wyvk.com.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Hardfowl wrote:Congrats Lady Eagles !!!!!
Thursday's state semi-final game can be heard on Retro 92.1 FM and also online at http://www.wyvk.com.
Would love to listen to ya Hardfowl ... but I gotta go watch this one in person ... lol

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Jenna finished with 37 in dominating fashion. She got where she wanted, when she wanted, and there wasn't a player in the gym that could do anything about it. Great win ladies. What an atmosphere this was for a high school girls game. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single person left in meigs county last night. Also great to see some Waterford fans out cheering us on. Just 2 games left stand between history for the lady Eagles

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Congrats from Ports ND -- bring home the title .

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Here's the "Newark" media spin on the game. I think we will find Bdubya's write up a little more balanced, and the tone perhaps a little different as well. :122246

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/2 ... final-loss

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The Columbus Dispatch had an article as well ... not very often do I sit down with my coffee in the morning, turn to the sports page in the Dispatch - and see a headline with a team from southeast Ohio!

Great job ladies!

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

Good Luck to Eastern Girls! Hope you win it all!

Hard Hat Harry
Waterboy

Post by Hard Hat Harry »

I also saw Fed Hock, Trimble, and Meigs support. I'm sure the Eagles appreciate it.

kingofthegame
Freshman Team

Post by kingofthegame »

Steely Dan wrote:Here's the "Newark" media spin on the game. I think we will find Bdubya's write up a little more balanced, and the tone perhaps a little different as well. :122246

Definitely a little sour with the tone in that article. No need for that. Congratulate the NC girls on a great season and apparently a great season next year with those two juniors coming back. I wonder if the writer cherry picked the quotes from the coach because he made him sound a little negative other than the kind words for Burdette.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

KingoftheGame wrote:
Steely Dan wrote:Here's the "Newark" media spin on the game. I think we will find Bdubya's write up a little more balanced, and the tone perhaps a little different as well. :122246

Definitely a little sour with the tone in that article. No need for that. Congratulate the NC girls on a great season and apparently a great season next year with those two juniors coming back. I wonder if the writer cherry picked the quotes from the coach because he made him sound a little negative other than the kind words for Burdette.
King- That was my impression as well. Having read the Dispatch write up by Mark Znider, he used some of the same quotes but came up with a much more positive tone in his article. The NC coach may have cringed a little bit after reading the Advocate article yesterday.

Good luck Lady Eagles. I know Thursday can't get here soon enough!

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I mean his best player and only hope was in foul trouble the entire game and eventually fouled out. If I was coaching and my best player barely saw the floor bc of foul trouble, being such am emotional game, I probably would have been upset too. Even if they were good calls, you can't expect the coach to be too happy after the game. You would actually expect him to be much harder on the refs after a game of that magnitude. So I don't take anything away from him because you would expect a reaction like that after the circumstances that took forth. I actually give him credit for not getting a technical during the game.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Super Trooper wrote:I mean his best player and only hope was in foul trouble the entire game and eventually fouled out. If I was coaching and my best player barely saw the floor bc of foul trouble, being such am emotional game, I probably would have been upset too. Even if they were good calls, you can't expect the coach to be too happy after the game. You would actually expect him to be much harder on the refs after a game of that magnitude. So I don't take anything away from him because you would expect a reaction like that after the circumstances that took forth. I actually give him credit for not getting a technical during the game.
Believe me, I agree with you, I'm not faulting the NC coach at all. That was my point with my comment about the Dispatch article. Understanding the emotions of the game and how things transpired, the coach's disappointment is certainly understandable. It is how it is presented by the writer that can make a huge difference. Two writers listening to the post game comments from the coach and one article shows the coaches disappointment, but in a positive light, and the other, well, I think King said it well in his/her post.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I agree. I don't think the coach was blaming the refs at all for losing the game. Of course being on the winning end, I thought the officiating was pretty good. Any neutral fans have any comments on the officiating?

goinbroke
Riding the Bench

Post by goinbroke »

Good luck Lady Eagles!

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Super Trooper wrote:I mean his best player and only hope was in foul trouble the entire game and eventually fouled out. If I was coaching and my best player barely saw the floor bc of foul trouble, being such am emotional game, I probably would have been upset too. Even if they were good calls, you can't expect the coach to be too happy after the game. You would actually expect him to be much harder on the refs after a game of that magnitude. So I don't take anything away from him because you would expect a reaction like that after the circumstances that took forth. I actually give him credit for not getting a technical during the game.
Why would any coach let his best player pick up her third foul midway through the first quarter? after two fouls she should have been on the bench.
Were their bench players not good enough to at least finish the half? IMHO, that's on the Coach. :122246

MohawkMan
Waterboy

Post by MohawkMan »

Steely Dan wrote:
KingoftheGame wrote:

King- That was my impression as well. Having read the Dispatch write up by Mark Znider, he used some of the same quotes but came up with a much more positive tone in his article. The NC coach may have cringed a little bit after reading the Advocate article yesterday.

Good luck Lady Eagles. I know Thursday can't get here soon enough!
This article was written in Newark, not Columbus or Reedsville. Of course he will have a different spin than the Dispatch. After the way last year's game ended, many expected this team to take the next step. There's nothing wrong with that. It's why NC only hang State Championship banners and nothing less. An article patting them on the back saying "good try, girls" would not have been fitting.

Also, anyone who thinks the refs were good is either blind or stupid. The way they called fouls against Parkinson was very different from how they called against anyone else in the game, including the rest of her team. I'm not saying the outcome would have been different, but I wish we could have seen that game without her being targeted. Would have been epic.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The only problem I had with the Newark article was emphasizing "NC's two stars were beaten by Eastern's 1"

If Eastern only has 1 star - then why did the NC coach play a triangle in 2?
Did the Newark reporter not keep stats? Did he not recognize the center for Eastern (Erin Swatzel) recording a double-double? 10 points, 12 rebounds?
Three players scored in double figures for Eastern.
Maddie Rigsby dished out a team high 4 assist and recorded a team high 3 steals.
Forward Katie kellar had a team high 2 blocks.
The team defense also held NC to 17-of-52 shooting (.327%)

It was a great 'individual performance' by Burdette - but Eastern has more than ONE STAR ... as do most teams that make it to the final 4.

Return to “Girls Basketball”