DIII Athens Sectional Seeding

enigmaax
All State

Re: DIII Athens Sectional Seeding

Post by enigmaax »

CavsFan08 wrote:And you have to remember that a lot of Belpre getting knocked down was because they came into the seeding with a similar record last season and got hammered by a 6 seeded Wellston team. Many coaches and people on this site questioned Belpre getting the 3 seed a year ago and their inclinations proved to be right. I can tell you that one of the biggest factors in the voting is teams records vs. D2 or D1. I do not believe Belpre has any games against D2 do they? When you compare that to TVC and SVC schools who have many games and wins against D2 teams it is tough to put them above those schools.
#2 Oak Hill lost to #7 Chesapeake last year too. (Wellston then went on to beat Chesapeake.) Upsets happen. Oak Hill was seeded higher than Chesapeake again this year, presumably because coaches evaluated this season on its own merits?

I understand that there is a sentiment that Belpre's being in the Hocking Division may make their record a little deceiving and some coaches voted according to that premise. It was interesting that about half of the coaches did have RV ahead of Belpre. What RV's coach did wasn't just a shot at Belpre, but a slap in the face to the opinions of all the other coaches. It basically said, "I know not everyone agrees with me, so I'm going to crap all over your votes since only my opinion counts."

Another flaw in the logic of using Belpre's performance last year was that RV was an 8-seed and lost to a 9-seed. So what about RV's history proves that despite being a losing program, they deserve more tournament respect?
Raiderball wrote: I agree but let's make them all public then. Not just one. Then we can call all of them names like "nitwits" and "clowns". Why stop at just the one coach?
The sheet that was posted did show all of the votes, right?

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Yes, but I think you misunderstood what I meant.

Let's post the voting results from ALL sectionals.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Raiderball wrote:Yes, but I think you misunderstood what I meant.

I'll agree, and also place all the "bios" that coaches post about their teams, because that is what is supposed to be voted on. Make it all transparent.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Pol Pot wrote:
Raiderball wrote:Yes, but I think you misunderstood what I meant.

I'll agree, and also place all the "bios" that coaches post about their teams, because that is what is supposed to be voted on. Make it all transparent.
Where's the LIKE button?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

We've all had our voices heard about RV, Wellston and the voting. Hopefully we can move past it now and enjoy some tournament basketball this weekend - weather permitting.

Spartan4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Spartan4Life »

There's been a lot of bashing on this thread. I look for my Spartans to do their talking on the court like they have all year long. Getting a little tired of seeing SVC fans whining on here. If you would've taken care of business on the court like we did, maybe your seed would have been higher.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

athens78 wrote:There is now talk that they will change this and toss out your lowest vote and your highest to help stop this stuff
If all of the votes were honest this would work. Think of this scenario....you are getting ready to vote and you know your team is deserving of a 4-5 seed. Knowing the high/low will be thrown out, you still vote yourself 1, knowing that if someone else thought you were a 3rd seed, that vote would still count instead of getting thrown out as the high vote and your 1 seed vote will get tossed out instead. This would help this kind of situation, but could encourage people to game the system, knowing their vote wouldn't count but could keep another somewhat positive vote in the mix.

I know in the girls soccer voting last fall, an opponent of Wheelersburg voted themselves higher than Wheelersburg, even after having a much worse overall record and losing both regular season matchups. I was shaking my head over that one too. At least in that soccer situation, they didn't vote themselves in the 1 slot.

pitt87fan
Freshman Team

Post by pitt87fan »

Outside of going to a computer system like football the SEODAB needs to move towards an open bracket and then place your name where you like instead of the NCAA bracket. Coaches will still try to gain an advantage for their team (I'm ok with that) but it becomes much harder when you don't know what line you will be on.

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

Bman , out of curiosity How far away or long does it take to get from Westfall to Athens High School ? Is it close to 2 hours? 1:45 hrs or what. Seems like a haul for a sectional game. Still better than playing in the Central District but it sure seems out of the way.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

nickle back wrote:Bman , out of curiosity How far away or long does it take to get from Westfall to Athens High School ? Is it close to 2 hours? 1:45 hrs or what. Seems like a haul for a sectional game. Still better than playing in the Central District but it sure seems out of the way.
Westfall ---Cville---Lancaster----Athens

1 hr 15 on bus?

Fairfield to Northwest is a terrible trip

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Spartan4Life wrote:There's been a lot of bashing on this thread. I look for my Spartans to do their talking on the court like they have all year long. Getting a little tired of seeing SVC fans whining on here. If you would've taken care of business on the court like we did, maybe your seed would have been higher.
Doubtful....almost every SE district D3 and D4 sectional with a majority 1 league affiliation works it their way a bit.

Good Luck to all teams....I see the top 4 all advancing and dist semis and finals should be excellent

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

nickle back wrote:Bman , out of curiosity How far away or long does it take to get from Westfall to Athens High School ? Is it close to 2 hours? 1:45 hrs or what. Seems like a haul for a sectional game. Still better than playing in the Central District but it sure seems out of the way.

From Westfall to Athens would be an hour-and-a-half by car and two hours by bus. Now also consider that most of the Central District in D3 is located now in rural counties north of Columbus. For example, the D3 district volleyball tournament was held at Marion High School, which is quite a haul from Westfall. Westfall was closer going to Waverly for volleyball than to Marion, especially when considering stopping at all of those lights up 23 in Delaware County to get to Marion.

I'd rather drive south going 70 on US 33 to Athens than getting through Columbus traffic on a weeknight trying to get to Delaware, New Albany, Olentangy and these schools on the north side.

And to be honest, schools like Circleville, LE, Westfall, Fairfield Union and out east like Marietta and Warren came to the SE District because the competition isn't quite as difficult in terms of depth. We have good teams every season but just not quite as many usually as the Central District. I'd say all the additions from the Central and East have not put us on par with the East. And the SE holds its tournaments at nicer facilities. Compare the Convo, for example, to the Barn.

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

Thanks, I thought it would be close to 2 hrs. and no one blames teams for trying to get into the Southeast district. For obvious reasons. Well good luck to all the teams and students that are participating in this sectional, they had nothing to do with any of this mess and hopefully they enjoy the experience. Good luck to all and safe travels.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

It's 69 miles from Westfall High School to Athens High School...once you get through Circleville it's easy traveling and 40+ miles on 4 lane Rt 33.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Boys and girls---the seeding is over blown every year. You scheme and maneuver and you usually get just what you have this year. If you look at your District match ups in Div. IV only 6th seed Eastern Meigs is a surprise----and I don't see their being there as the result of upsets. You don't win the State and suddenly become chopped liver the very next year.

Think of the extra practices they had because of how far they went.

Good luck to all that is left and we'll do this again next year. ahahahahahaha

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

Fortdawg wrote:Boys and girls---the seeding is over blown every year. You scheme and maneuver and you usually get just what you have this year. If you look at your District match ups in Div. IV only 6th seed Eastern Meigs is a surprise----and I don't see their being there as the result of upsets. You don't win the State and suddenly become chopped liver the very next year.

Think of the extra practices they had because of how far they went.

Good luck to all that is left and we'll do this again next year. ahahahahahaha
Great post Fortdawg. On the girls side this season, in the Central District there was a #2 seed that passed once, put themselves on a line to play in the first round of the sectional tournament and got jumped on by the #5 seed, and ended up losing to the #5 seed by 25. Seeding is indeed over-blown every year. The cream will rise to the top eventually, it just depends on the path they take how soon it is they rise or how they're debunked.

Return to “Girls Basketball”