AP All-Southeast District

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: AP All-Southeast District

Post by Ironman92 »

NO Kari Jenkins in D2....not even special mention?

Goodness, how many times did she lead Jackson in scoring? Omissions like that one lessen the merit of these awards a little.

Congrats to all the kids who made it. A special congrats to Chapman, Ridout and Harless on being selected.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

gobrowns....Everybody you have ever talked to includes more people than just yourself you know.

Ironman92.....As the AP all-district awards clearly show, there is more than just scoring that goes into those selections.

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

I'm with you on this one Keyser.

Everyone, the SE district is the largest geographical region - by land area - in the state of Ohio. It goes from Manchester-Eastern Brown east to Marietta-Waterford, and as far north as Circleville-Logan Elm. There are roughly a dozen leagues in the SE district, including multiple conferences in the TVC, SOC and SHL.

That means that there are a lot of league champions out there with good regular season accolades to choose from alone - and a lot of other teams and players too.

It's a heck of a lot more to take in than the programs around your backyard, so please keep this in consideration.

Tournament play, by the way, does not factor into our decision process. It is primarily based on the regular season. And you will notice that I didn't say regular season stats, until just now.

We truly apology for not making every single person in 20 different counties unanimously happy, especially the two or three nay-sayers on here. Your complaints have been heard, though, and absolutely nothing will be done about it ... at all.

In the end, these district selections are just like our polls — imaginary lists that happen to go to Columbus.

With double-digit unemployment all around this region of the state, can we find nothing better to do with our free time than dispute the logic being used in selecting imaginary basketball lists?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

These threads have been the same on here when it comes to all-league and all-district since the beginning of this site and as long as they are started they will remain the same. Congrats to all of those who are listed and wonderings about possible omissions. The lists look darn good overall IMO and with very few possible omissions I can even think of...but Kari Jenkins should've been somewhere on these lists.

I'm well aware that scoring is not the only stat considered....but I bet no one else on nearly as good of a team led their team in scoring more than she did and was omitted. I know you could have 8 teams, special mention and an honorable mention and people gripe....and I apologize for being one of those this time. I believe my opinion is pretty well-backed and on this board is ok to post.

Again, good job on the overall lists.

Oakie from Muskogee
Freshman Team

Post by Oakie from Muskogee »

Ironman92 wrote:NO Kari Jenkins in D2....not even special mention?

Goodness, how many times did she lead Jackson in scoring? Omissions like that one lessen the merit of these awards a little.

Congrats to all the kids who made it. A special congrats to Chapman, Ridout and Harless on being selected.

Very much agree!!!

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

The Jackson girl in question is my neighbor across the street. She had a great year and is a very good kid, but as a sophomore she has two more chances to end up on this list. If she is upset for not making the list, then she has fuel for the fire.

Also, Jackson had a great season — but finished third in its league. What quality wins (+.500) - in the regular season - did Jackson have?

I see co-SEOAL champion Marietta had three selections also, and the other co-champ (Logan) had only two picks. So Jackson deserves more players on this list than either of the two teams that swept and finished ahead of them in the regular season? Looks to me like the Ironladies should be pretty happy with their representation on the D-2 list, figuring they were honored as well or better as the teams in front of them in SEOAL play.

If she still belongs on here after this knowledge, then tell us which Jackson player you would replace with Jenkins — because now you know why there were only three Jackson selections.

kahn
Freshman Team

Post by kahn »

Coaches absolutely give extra to their seniors when it comes to awards in their District teams and like has been said on here sometimes there's nothing wrong with that.

My opinion as a former member of the media is that it's ok. It's the Coaches' Team and they can do it how they want. That's why something like the AP poll exists, so it's not just about rewarding a senior who averages 8ppg for four years but about really honoring the BEST players.

When the AP board gets together for these we've all brought the coaches input for nominations but as a group we hash it out to come up with the best teams possible. The goal isn't to make everyone happy, but to honor the best.

A senior averaging 8ppg and two assists who's been there four years is probably a great, hardworking kid that means a lot to his/her team, but if the same team has a sophomore averaging 20ppg and 10 rebounds, sorry kiddo but the better player gets honored.

Great job as always by my former colleagues who selected the AP teams.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

yeah right put a player from the same team that was 5th in scoring and rebounding over a player that was 2nd in scoring and rebounding???????

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

footballfanatic1.....Again, you too have no clue.

Since you must not know the game of basketball very well, there is much more to it that just scoring and rebounding.

Perhaps you can approach me about this subject on Monday night at the Ironladies' basketball banquet, eh?

bdubya....As always, very well thought out and excellent posts sir.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

your right ks78...all i do is read what the local newspaper reporters report.......rebounds and points....get real.....

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

FF1.....You are an idiot, plain and simple.

I can't speak for all of the others in the field, but this newspaper reporter — yours truly — prints much more than just rebounds and points.

Again, I challenge you to come up and talk to me at the Ironladies' basketball banquet on Monday night.

bdubya....Nice talking to you on the phone for the past hour about this very same subject on SEOPS here.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

i would enjoy that ..idiot..but i will be in Cincinnati all week.... so could you please explain what phase of the games she did not lead in????? assists....defense.... i will await your answer idiot.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

I seriously doubt you are in Cincinnati all week. In fact, I seriously doubt you are in Cincinnati at all.

If you really would enjoy coming up and talking to me at the Ironladies' banquet on Monday night, then you would find a way to do that. No questions asked.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

i didnt say i was in Cin. i said i would be in Cin. this week. apparently you are a reporter. i would just like to know you answer to the question....

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Yes, I am a reporter. What Texas-size boulder have you been under for the past 13 years?

By the way, will you pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssseeeeeeee clean up all of your grammar, spelling and capitalization mistakes. Maybe then, I will consider answering your question.

Thank you

footballfanatic1
All Conference

What would my spelling and grammar have to do with answering a question? Probably because you can't
Last edited by footballfanatic1 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

footballfanatic1 wrote:i didnt say i was in Cin. i said i would be in Cin. this week. apparently you are a reporter. i would just like to know you answer to the question....
I've read this thread a few times. What was your question?

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

ROFLMAO at ff1!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, it's grammar, not grammer. You continue to make yourself look foolish even after admitting your many mistakes in writing.

I have the Jackson girls stats for the season, each game in fact, so I know who did what and where and when.

There were several games in which the Jackson player in question led in points and rebounding, but much more is looked at than just points and rebounding. She is definitely a key part of their team, but much more is taken into consideration than just scoring and rebounding.

And, one more thing. I see you edited your post to change "grammer" to "grammar" in an attempt that I woudn't catch it.

But, I did.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

bdubya... My question was if the AP awards the best players how can you not include the player on the team that was the second leading scorer and the second or third leading rebounder? i guess that warrents being called an idiot...

footballfanatic1
All Conference

ks78...Great job. Know can you answer the question? What other considerations?

Return to “Girls Basketball”