Need info on Meigs vs Belpre on 2/12/09

Bravo3
Waterboy

Need info on Meigs vs Belpre on 2/12/09

Post by Bravo3 »

I know Meigs won but does anyone have any info on the final score and individual scoring?

Our local paper seemed to overlook this game :!: :?:

Thanks

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Re: Need info on Meigs vs Belpre on 2/12/09

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Bravo3.....What paper would that be and did the coach and/or a team representative make contact with that paper to make sure they have the information?

Just curious.

Bravo3
Waterboy

Post by Bravo3 »

Our paper is the Daily Sentinel out of Pomeroy.

Their sports coverage can be quite scarce at times.

Don't know it contact was made or not.

bballinfo2
Waterboy

Post by bballinfo2 »

The Pomeroy Daily Sent is a JOKE of a newspaper. They barely know when a game is even played , let alone outcome sometimes. They are WAYYYYYYYYYYY understaffed and GALLIPOLIS oriented in all that they do !

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Okay. Time to chime in here. Just so everybody knows because I know everybody doesn't.

For those who are unaware, my colleague and friend Bryan Walters is now the only person in the sports department of the THREE Ohio Valley Publishing newspapers.

Gallipolis Daily Tribune — Gallia Academy, River Valley and South Gallia. Also Ohio Valley Christian.
Pomeroy Daily Sentinel — Meigs, Eastern and Southerm
Point Pleasant Register — Point Pleasant, Wahama and Hannan

Our colleague Larry Crum recently accepted a job in Norwalk, Ohio, and left the company as of Jan. 30.

AGAIN.....THREE DAILY NEWSPAPERS WHICH HAVE AT LEAST THREE COUNTY SCHOOLS IN EACH COUNTY!!!!!!!!!!

The three papers print daily Monday thru Friday with the Times-Sentinel printing on Sunday.

With Larry's departure, Bryan is trying to be at, taking photographs for, writing stories for, editing and proofreading stories for and paginating the sports pages for ALL THREE PAPERS and 10, count 'em, 10 TOTAL SCHOOL DISTRICTS.

In the winter, that is 20 basketball teams and whichever of these schools have wrestling. Plus he is responsible for any other news stories such as signings, etc. Plus sports briefs, submitted items, etc.

And, get this. He has a limited number of hours during the week in which to get this all done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE IS TRYING TO DO ALL THIS BY HIMSELF! ONE PERSON! ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody that I know of in our business has ever tried to tackle this kind of endeavor by themselves. NOBODY!!!! And I have been doing this professionally myself for 11 years and a lot of my colleagues for a lot longer than that. They can never recall anyone trying to do this.

Most people would have quit this business a long time ago if confronted by those kinds of odds and circumstances.

But Bryan has met this head-on and tried to make everything that he possibly could and get in as much as information as he possibly can for these 10 schools (20 basketball teams and wrestling in the winter. Imagine all the stuff going on in spring and fall seasons).

He is working at least 12 hours a day for six days a week. He is working his @ss off trying to do everything he can to help promote the kids in the OVP coverage areas. And he deserves at least one day off, just like everybody else does. Heck, he can't even get that this time of year when some people who sit back and bash his efforts take every day as a vacation. And you know who you are, and you do exist.

The least he is asking from some people is just a little bit of cooperation. The best example is calling in or faxing in or e-mailing to the paper and reporting the results road games. And home games he can't make it to because he can't make it to everything that is a home game all in one night, then has to go back and put out THREE papers. Many of his coaches and/or team representatives have been great about that, and some of those have not.

In fact, one coach has had 57 road games in the past five years. He has called in a grand total of ONE road game in those 57. ONE!!!! And, that one was not called in as information but simply to let them know that a certain senior scored her 1,000th career point.

So if Meigs High School for example is concerned about its perceived lack of coverage perhaps it should put more emphasis on coaches calling in their road games to the paper — just like everyone else.

Usually, it's the ones associated with those teams which don't report their results are on here hiding behind a screen name — probably during school time or on work time — and complaining left and right.

Rather than being a part of the solution, they are part of the problem.

Bryan is ONE person who can not be in six places at once. No one can be in six places at once. I have yet to meet somebody that can.

Imagine being in Bryan's shoes right now. Imagine if you had to do what he has to do. Through no fault of his own.

Most people out there couldn't handle three minutes of it. He's been doing this since Super Bowl Sunday and will continue to do so through at least March Madness.

And so you know, Bryan didn't tell me to come on here and post this. This here was my idea and mine alone. I will take up for my colleague and more importantly my friend first.

So my point with this post is for everybody to know what is exactly going on within OVP and try to offer Bryan some sort assistance as opposed to getting on here and doing nothing but complaining when you have no idea what is going on or what Bryan is going through right now.

The contact information to those appears should be there. You know where to call, fax or e-mail.

It never ceases to amaze that the people which complain about what we do and what we should be doing are the same people who can't do the simplest of things of what they are asked nicely to do by us.

So maybe now that clears things up for those which didn't know. Now you do.

My nickle's worth of free advice for the day, now that you know what is going, would be if you want to see your kids' efforts appearing in the paper, try and offer some helpful assistance.

With that, my break is over.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Paul Boggs, sports editor, Jackson County Times-Journal

Bravo3
Waterboy

Post by Bravo3 »

Keyser_soze78 wrote:Okay. Time to chime in here. Just so everybody knows because I know everybody doesn't.

For those who are unaware, my colleague and friend Bryan Walters is now the only person in the sports department of the THREE Ohio Valley Publishing newspapers.

Gallipolis Daily Tribune — Gallia Academy, River Valley and South Gallia. Also Ohio Valley Christian.
Pomeroy Daily Sentinel — Meigs, Eastern and Southerm
Point Pleasant Register — Point Pleasant, Wahama and Hannan

Our colleague Larry Crum recently accepted a job in Norwalk, Ohio, and left the company as of Jan. 30.

AGAIN.....THREE DAILY NEWSPAPERS WHICH HAVE AT LEAST THREE COUNTY SCHOOLS IN EACH COUNTY!!!!!!!!!!

The three papers print daily Monday thru Friday with the Times-Sentinel printing on Sunday.

With Larry's departure, Bryan is trying to be at, taking photographs for, writing stories for, editing and proofreading stories for and paginating the sports pages for ALL THREE PAPERS and 10, count 'em, 10 TOTAL SCHOOL DISTRICTS.

In the winter, that is 20 basketball teams and whichever of these schools have wrestling. Plus he is responsible for any other news stories such as signings, etc. Plus sports briefs, submitted items, etc.

And, get this. He has a limited number of hours during the week in which to get this all done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE IS TRYING TO DO ALL THIS BY HIMSELF! ONE PERSON! ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody that I know of in our business has ever tried to tackle this kind of endeavor by themselves. NOBODY!!!! And I have been doing this professionally myself for 11 years and a lot of my colleagues for a lot longer than that. They can never recall anyone trying to do this.

Most people would have quit this business a long time ago if confronted by those kinds of odds and circumstances.

But Bryan has met this head-on and tried to make everything that he possibly could and get in as much as information as he possibly can for these 10 schools (20 basketball teams and wrestling in the winter. Imagine all the stuff going on in spring and fall seasons).

He is working at least 12 hours a day for six days a week. He is working his @ss off trying to do everything he can to help promote the kids in the OVP coverage areas. And he deserves at least one day off, just like everybody else does. Heck, he can't even get that this time of year when some people who sit back and bash his efforts take every day as a vacation. And you know who you are, and you do exist.

The least he is asking from some people is just a little bit of cooperation. The best example is calling in or faxing in or e-mailing to the paper and reporting the results road games. And home games he can't make it to because he can't make it to everything that is a home game all in one night, then has to go back and put out THREE papers. Many of his coaches and/or team representatives have been great about that, and some of those have not.

In fact, one coach has had 57 road games in the past five years. He has called in a grand total of ONE road game in those 57. ONE!!!! And, that one was not called in as information but simply to let them know that a certain senior scored her 1,000th career point.

So if Meigs High School for example is concerned about its perceived lack of coverage perhaps it should put more emphasis on coaches calling in their road games to the paper — just like everyone else.

Usually, it's the ones associated with those teams which don't report their results are on here hiding behind a screen name — probably during school time or on work time — and complaining left and right.

Rather than being a part of the solution, they are part of the problem.

Bryan is ONE person who can not be in six places at once. No one can be in six places at once. I have yet to meet somebody that can.

Imagine being in Bryan's shoes right now. Imagine if you had to do what he has to do. Through no fault of his own.

Most people out there couldn't handle three minutes of it. He's been doing this since Super Bowl Sunday and will continue to do so through at least March Madness.

And so you know, Bryan didn't tell me to come on here and post this. This here was my idea and mine alone. I will take up for my colleague and more importantly my friend first.

So my point with this post is for everybody to know what is exactly going on within OVP and try to offer Bryan some sort assistance as opposed to getting on here and doing nothing but complaining when you have no idea what is going on or what Bryan is going through right now.

The contact information to those appears should be there. You know where to call, fax or e-mail.

It never ceases to amaze that the people which complain about what we do and what we should be doing are the same people who can't do the simplest of things of what they are asked nicely to do by us.

So maybe now that clears things up for those which didn't know. Now you do.

My nickle's worth of free advice for the day, now that you know what is going, would be if you want to see your kids' efforts appearing in the paper, try and offer some helpful assistance.

With that, my break is over.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Paul Boggs, sports editor, Jackson County Times-Journal

Wow! Calm down.
Nobody's bashing Bryan, heck he does a great job on his write-ups. However, he can't do it all!!
Sounds like Ohio Valley Publishing needs to hire on someone else to help him. At least they could find someone to temporarily fill in during basketball season.
It's ridiculous that Bryan has to try and cover that many sporting events during a season. It's also not fair to the subscribers of the paper who look to find the information.

Return to “Girls Basketball”