Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Bronc21
All Conference

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2

Post by Bronc21 »

3 of the 5 starters and bench for westfall are better than uniotos? Wow, someone's been cruising around with Cheech and chong . Not even close!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Bronc21 wrote:3 of the 5 starters and bench for westfall are better than uniotos? Wow, someone's been cruising around with Cheech and chong . Not even close!
Check out the SVC Predictions thread. I do think that Wyman is outstanding for the Mustangs, but we'll see how the rest matchup on Friday.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

I will still take unioto by at least 20+

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... pfloyd will be staying in Logan tomorrow night ... going to see Coach Kellough's Purple & White hosting the Lancaster Gales out of the OCC ... an improved version of the Lancaster ball club will be a good test for Logan ... looking forward to seeing the improvement offensively in the Chiefs ... gauging how well the defense has developed ... should be a good matchup !

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

danicalifornia wrote:
Bronc21 wrote:3 of the 5 starters and bench for westfall are better than uniotos? Wow, someone's been cruising around with Cheech and chong . Not even close!
Check out the SVC Predictions thread. I do think that Wyman is outstanding for the Mustangs, but we'll see how the rest matchup on Friday.
Danicaifornia I like your posts but this is not at all what I posted in the thread. I am going to give you a pass since I know you are Sherman fan. The thread was not about this at all. Simply a before the year numbers matchup comparison. Never said what you state above. Please do me the courtesy of posting a reply to my thread if you are going to get it wrong.

Good luck to the SVC teams tomorrow.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Smeltzy wrote:Bman..........how do circleville and FU matchup? Since you have played both teams on the road, just wondering since pfloyd still has circleville in top 8 and FU in the 20s?
Haven't watched Fairfield Union yet in person. I've talked to several coaches around the district and they give the Falcons a lot of praise with their ability to hit the three and the inside play.

One point I would make is the Falcons are in the second year in Coach Eversole's system and the Tigers are four games into Coach Cassidy's system. Most first-year coaches have to build their system as they go through the season. To have to play a good defensive team like Logan Elm four games into learning a new system is pretty tough. LE was also on against Circleville and a little off in its loss to BC, give the Bulldogs credit for that with the type of defense they play.

Camp is having a very good season for Circleville and is doing a very good job of scoring the basketball, both inside and outside, crashing the boards and doing those little things. As you saw in the LE box, they haven't found that second scorer yet. I look for Aaron Manson to step into that role as the season goes on. Also look for some good things from Jordan Taylor and a few of the other kids.

Sorry for the war and peace analysis, but I look for the Falcons to beat the Tigers at home and for the Tigers to return the favor on their home floor.

Pfloyd is a very knowledgeable basketball fan and he puts a lot of time into his list. I would probably rank LE around 5th right now and Circleville/Fairfield Union around 12-15.

If the Tigers and Falcons can continue to develop, both will be tough outs come tournament time.

MoneyBall44
Waterboy

Post by MoneyBall44 »

Why does Warren only have 17 games on their schedule? Were they not able to find 3 more?

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

MoneyBall44 wrote:Why does Warren only have 17 games on their schedule? Were they not able to find 3 more?
In The Marietta Times preview (Nov.15) Warren has 22 games listed.
But the first game with Beallsville was canceled for some reason.

Just what the paper printed....just saying.

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

svc_guy wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:
Danicaifornia I like your posts but this is not at all what I posted in the thread. I am going to give you a pass since I know you are Sherman fan. The thread was not about this at all. Simply a before the year numbers matchup comparison. Never said what you state above. Please do me the courtesy of posting a reply to my thread if you are going to get it wrong.

Good luck to the SVC teams tomorrow.
I think we all understand that you were doing an "on paper" comparison of the two teams. I think the biggest thing you failed to mention is that Westfall returns an outstanding offense, but an atrocious +/- compared to the Shermans. Of course the kids at Unioto won't match up statistically to Westfall because only offensive stats are accounted for. I think based on the play thus far, Wyman is the on Mustang who wins his individual match up. While other mustangs may have higher PPG, the Shermans defense is crippling to some of the best offenses you can throw at them.

I'll take Wyman with a game-high 18 points in a 76-54 loss to Unioto.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto averages about 7 less possessions a game so far and only 2 ppg than a year ago. So, they are playing with a slower tempo and with way more efficiency. 4 starters averaging between 11 and 13 ppg while only one player takes more than 7 shots per game (and that's only 9 for that player)

Playing great defense, rebounding extremely well, and sharing the ball makes them an incredibly difficult team to matchup with, especially considering that the only 2 players under 6'1 are ballhawks off the bench.

There's a chance they can get beat on any given night, but a team has to get the game in their tempo and value the ball all night. We'll see if the Mustangs can do it on Friday. Wyman is going to have to have a game like Griffin Lutz did against the Shermans for the Mustangs to get a W, IMO. Hope neither team looks ahead of tonight's game.

FannyPack
Freshman Team

Post by FannyPack »

danicalifornia wrote:Unioto averages about 7 less possessions a game so far and only 2 ppg than a year ago. So, they are playing with a slower tempo and with way more efficiency. 4 starters averaging between 11 and 13 ppg while only one player takes more than 7 shots per game (and that's only 9 for that player)

Playing great defense, rebounding extremely well, and sharing the ball makes them an incredibly difficult team to matchup with, especially considering that the only 2 players under 6'1 are ballhawks off the bench.

There's a chance they can get beat on any given night, but a team has to get the game in their tempo and value the ball all night. We'll see if the Mustangs can do it on Friday. Wyman is going to have to have a game like Griffin Lutz did against the Shermans for the Mustangs to get a W, IMO. Hope neither team looks ahead of tonight's game.
Nerd.

Wyman vs Swack - Swack better passer, Wyman better scorer

Mink vs Kennedy - Outside of experience, not close. Kennedy is an absurd shooter and plays great defense.

Anderson vs Cottrill - I like Anderson as a player, so I'll be nice, this isn't close.

Adams vs Hosley - they would never match up in any world. And it's not close

Peart vs Wheeler - one was great in football, one has great footwork in basketball

Bench - Fisher already had a double double, anyone from WF match that?

Unioto plays the game with a chip on their shoulders from being previously insulted and win by 30, only because Wyman is special.

2015-2016 Basketball Pick 'Em Champion while picking correctly 81% of the time.
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Oh my, this may get out of hand and wasn't my intention at all.

What are the big games tonight in the SE District?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Chesapeake deserves their #4 ranking after I watched them defeat a very good Huntington(WV) St.Joe team 69-61 , the same St.Joe team that beat my Trojans 76-63 at PHS. Portsmouth starts 2 sophomores, and 2 other sophomores played in the 9 player rotation. So far Kyre Allison is averaging 21.5 PPG, while Kendal Reynolds is scoring 17.5 PPG. 6-2 sophomore Daniel Jordan pulled down 10 rebounds to go along with 10 points vs. St.Joe. 5-8 sophomore DJ Eley scored 5 points with several steals.

The Trojans are still working out a chemistry with a number of players with virtually no prior varsity experience.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

danicalifornia wrote:Oh my, this may get out of hand and wasn't my intention at all.

What are the big games tonight in the SE District?
I can't think of any tonight but the best team in our Region plays one of the best teams D2 south east district. Sheridan vs John Glenn Friday. Sheridan then plays Fairfield union on Saturday.

I'm sure John Glenn will be AP #1 coming into the tournament. And realistically should roll to state

Wffan
JV Team

Post by Wffan »

FannyPack wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:Unioto averages about 7 less possessions a game so far and only 2 ppg than a year ago. So, they are playing with a slower tempo and with way more efficiency. 4 starters averaging between 11 and 13 ppg while only one player takes more than 7 shots per game (and that's only 9 for that player)

Nerd.

Wyman vs Swack - Swack better passer, Wyman better scorer

Mink vs Kennedy - Outside of experience, not close. Kennedy is an absurd shooter and plays great defense.

Anderson vs Cottrill - I like Anderson as a player, so I'll be nice, this isn't close.

Adams vs Hosley - they would never match up in any world. And it's not close

Peart vs Wheeler - one was great in football, one has great footwork in basketball

Bench - Fisher already had a double double, anyone from WF match that?

Unioto plays the game with a chip on their shoulders from being previously insulted and win by 30, only because Wyman is special.

Unioto has the better team. But make sure facts are straight. Kennedy is a very nice player but "absurd scorer"? He is 1-1 ft this year. I will give some credit because a lot of times Im sure the ball gets kicked outside from bigs for threes.

Ppg- Mink ( slightly but again, unioto has more scoring, im sure Kennedys would be more on another team), steals-Mink, assists-Mink, rebounds-Mink, and Im not saying Mink is better but come on...Not close?

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

You guys make some good points but let me once again say....I did not say Westfall would beat Unioto. In fact, Westfall is a long way from where they need to be in order for that to happen. I think they are worried about trying to beat a scrappy and dangerous Zane Trace team...they may not even do that. And I don't think Matt Hoops and company needs my threads to get his kids ready to play. They can win by 30 without that...but thanks for the compliment...lol. I am not going to get into bashing players. Both teams have some good ones. Westfall will show up for their 30 point beat down on Friday. Good luck to all the teams tonight.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

thanks for the updates trojandave, Im sure Coach Collins will have this young group playing well by Jan.On another note, is there any word on whom is offering Allison? We have filled our 2016 class at Penn State with three kids from Number One Roman Catholic in Philly and another McDonalds all-American from Oak Hill in Maryland(the number 6 class in the country) I was hoping to see him playing at Bryce Jordan, but we have a full class

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Pfloyd should use his power to make Unioto play Vinton, Logan Elm, Warren, Athens, Circleville, Portsmouth, or Chesapeake

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Raider6309 wrote:Pfloyd should use his power to make Unioto play Vinton, Logan Elm, Warren, Athens, Circleville, Portsmouth, or Chesapeake
Didn't they already beat Athens this year?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

That was a foundation game.so a scrimmage

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”