Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Bronc21
All Conference

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2

Post by Bronc21 »

hateraid wrote:
Raider6309 wrote:Pfloyd should use his power to make Unioto play Vinton, Logan Elm, Warren, Athens, Circleville, Portsmouth, or Chesapeake
Didn't they already beat Athens this year?
I know unioto scrimmaged at least 2 or 3 of these teams . Other than Portsmouth and Athens( who they did play) , I'm not sure of the others I was told they beat Portsmouth by 50 but it was just a scrimmage. Dani, I'm sure knows who else they scrimmaged

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

About time to head out to Jym's Gym for some LHS vs LHS hoops (Lancaster vs Logan) Freshmen or underway, JV's , followed by the marque' matchup with the varsity ...

... Best of luck to ALL teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line tonight !!!

PunkyBrucester
Waterboy

Post by PunkyBrucester »

Unioto scrimmaged Ironton, Portsmouth, Northridge, Vinton County, and Athens. The Athens scrimmage was played with 4-8 minute quarters with licensed officials and with both coaches playing normal lineups.

I hate to see two schools I love bicker back and forth. Friday should be an exciting atmosphere! The one (two) game a year that I won't pick a side.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

I like seeing Valley move up the ranks. Good team.

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

Lynchburg Clay over Eastern Brown 69-47 . Peebles over West Union 73-37. Peebles plays Eastern Brown this Friday.

Roadhog
Freshman Team

Post by Roadhog »

Meigs squeezed a win out over Jackson 47-44

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Roadhog wrote:Meigs squeezed a win out over Jackson 47-44
Glad to see Jackson's program is looking better

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

Raider6309 wrote:
Meigs played a very very bad game, but no discredit to Jackson at all, They will be a strong ball club in a few years.

People Have The Right To Their Opinion, And You Have The Right To Ignore It.
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ma77ox wrote:
Raider6309 wrote:
Meigs played a very very bad game, but no discredit to Jackson at all, They will be a strong ball club in a few years.
How did Meigs play bad?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote:
ma77ox wrote:
Raider6309 wrote: Glad to see Jackson's program is looking better
How did Meigs play bad?
Because they barely beat the lowly Jackson Ironmen! And it's probably because they aren't allowed to take soda into the gym last night!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto had all 10 players score play last night and play big minutes. 5 in double figures.

Westfall pulls away from Zane Trace after a close first half. Corey Wyman was outstanding once again.

Should be an exciting game at Unioto on Friday night. The well-coached Mustangs will definitely be ready. If they shoot it well and handle the Shermans' pressure, it could be an instant classic.

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

danicalifornia wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:
ma77ox wrote:
How did Meigs play bad?
Because they barely beat the lowly Jackson Ironmen! And it's probably because they aren't allowed to take soda into the gym last night!!
It's that $2 parking on top of the hill that gets teams out of sorts!

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

I would say shooting only 29% was meaning there shots weren't falling...Our highest scorer was 15 points by Jerad Kennedy. Sheets, Lilly nor Musser was on last night. Wasn't anything about the Jackson Defense stopping them, they were getting the shots put up, just not falling at all. Don't see where that has to be explained.

Like I said, Jackson isn't a bad team at all, The Freshman kid can play. They will be a good ball club in the next few years.

Oh and I took my soda in the gym, actually took one I brought with me from the drive down.

ChiLoBBall
Waterboy

Post by ChiLoBBall »

All of the "differences of opinions" when it comes to the talent of teams is quite interesting to read. I have been a silent reader of these posts for several years, of which I have developed some rather unique opinions. One, apparently defense has become a thing of the past as no one seems to see or speak of the importance of this other side of the game. (If a team scores two points and defensively shuts their opponents out they still book a win, Not saying that scoring does not matter but defense is just as much a part of the game as offense), and two, there are some individuals who form opinions about teams based on their own biased beliefs (hometown/school) and not on factual data (statistics) or through visually watching these boys play. Come on, you have to form opinions on real play and statistics, not because of your love for the team or because they have one player who shines night after night (give that one his kudos and move on).

This brings me to Unioto hosting Westfall this Friday December 18 since there is so much controversy. The gym will be packed as this has been the most talked about game in Southeastern Ohio for the past few weeks so.......... anyone going to watch may consider being there by halftime of the Freshman game if they want seats. However, let’s let the statistics talk for a minute.

Westfall:
Average PPG- 66.5 (they can shoot)
Average PPG Allowed- 53 (scorer’s battles?)
4 Players have hit double figures in game(s)
10 Players transition into games (some names never hit the stat boards/game recaps)
Can they take the pressure of the Sherman’s defense? (Question to be answered at the conclusion of Friday’s game) They have not played a fast paced, in your face defense yet.

Unioto-
Average PPG- 72.833 (they can shoot too)
Average PPG Allowed- 36.5 (defensive threat?)
8 Players have hit double figures in game(s)
10 Players transition into games (9 have hit the stat board/game recaps) (11th man on roster has not played due to transfer rules)
Can they continue to play lights out? (Again, question to be answered at the conclusion of Friday’s game) They have done so for 6 straight games.

I will leave it up to you to form your own opinions

Food for thought………. In My Opinion-
Lutz is the best all-around PURE SHOOTER in the area (feel free to agree or agree to disagree, watching him shoot is an experience in and of itself)

Second to Lutz are Thomas of Adena, Wyman of Westfall, and the Kennedy/Cottrill kids at Unioto (PPG may not reflect high points scored every night but being on a team where anyone can score doubles and is not selfish contributes to this)

Unioto is the overall most BALANCED and DEFENSIVELY sound team in the area (that I have seen and heard of) (no one clearly out shining anyone and they play their roles)

Swingle is a beast as far as size and has a beautiful jump shot, Not as physical in the paint as you would expect a kid of his size. He needs some conditioning in order to run for 32 minutes. Being D1 scouted but is not D1 ready. (coach, we know he is your only BIG but a 30 second water break may due him some good)

I can continue with MULTIPLE GREAT players and their contributions to their teams and the sport of hoops, but just want to get some thoughts stirring and throw some opinions out there. It is now time for me to go back into hiding but before I do….. Thank you Pfloyd for starting the conversations that I enjoy reading every day!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

nice post! Defense has always been a priority for pfloyd and his rankings. Its all about defense and rebounding and hustle stats at this level.Some great offensive stars on the floor each night, but when the cream meet its a matter of whom wants it and whom is the best at making those adjustments

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

winningaintcheap wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:
How did Meigs play bad?
It's that $2 parking on top of the hill that gets teams out of sorts!
Nice jab that had nothing to do with anything.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ma77ox wrote:I would say shooting only 29% was meaning there shots weren't falling...Our highest scorer was 15 points by Jerad Kennedy. Sheets, Lilly nor Musser was on last night. Wasn't anything about the Jackson Defense stopping them, they were getting the shots put up, just not falling at all. Don't see where that has to be explained.

Like I said, Jackson isn't a bad team at all, The Freshman kid can play. They will be a good ball club in the next few years.

Oh and I took my soda in the gym, actually took one I brought with me from the drive down.
Disagree. How many shots did Sheets put up? I know I sat there in the stands and on numerous occasions caught myself saying "nice defense".....what was Meigs 3 point % in the first half? I think Jackson had 4 steals in about 6 possessions in the 2nd half.

The freshman is good....what about the sophomore with 20?

Our shots didn't fall either as Cooper's potentially tying 3 point attempt went all the way in and out.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

ChiLoBBall wrote:All of the "differences of opinions" when it comes to the talent of teams is quite interesting to read. I have been a silent reader of these posts for several years, of which I have developed some rather unique opinions. One, apparently defense has become a thing of the past as no one seems to see or speak of the importance of this other side of the game. (If a team scores two points and defensively shuts their opponents out they still book a win, Not saying that scoring does not matter but defense is just as much a part of the game as offense), and two, there are some individuals who form opinions about teams based on their own biased beliefs (hometown/school) and not on factual data (statistics) or through visually watching these boys play. Come on, you have to form opinions on real play and statistics, not because of your love for the team or because they have one player who shines night after night (give that one his kudos and move on).

This brings me to Unioto hosting Westfall this Friday December 18 since there is so much controversy. The gym will be packed as this has been the most talked about game in Southeastern Ohio for the past few weeks so.......... anyone going to watch may consider being there by halftime of the Freshman game if they want seats. However, let’s let the statistics talk for a minute.

Westfall:
Average PPG- 66.5 (they can shoot)
Average PPG Allowed- 53 (scorer’s battles?)
4 Players have hit double figures in game(s)
10 Players transition into games (some names never hit the stat boards/game recaps)
Can they take the pressure of the Sherman’s defense? (Question to be answered at the conclusion of Friday’s game) They have not played a fast paced, in your face defense yet.

Unioto-
Average PPG- 72.833 (they can shoot too)
Average PPG Allowed- 36.5 (defensive threat?)
8 Players have hit double figures in game(s)
10 Players transition into games (9 have hit the stat board/game recaps) (11th man on roster has not played due to transfer rules)
Can they continue to play lights out? (Again, question to be answered at the conclusion of Friday’s game) They have done so for 6 straight games.

I will leave it up to you to form your own opinions

Food for thought………. In My Opinion-
Lutz is the best all-around PURE SHOOTER in the area (feel free to agree or agree to disagree, watching him shoot is an experience in and of itself)

Second to Lutz are Thomas of Adena, Wyman of Westfall, and the Kennedy/Cottrill kids at Unioto (PPG may not reflect high points scored every night but being on a team where anyone can score doubles and is not selfish contributes to this)

Unioto is the overall most BALANCED and DEFENSIVELY sound team in the area (that I have seen and heard of) (no one clearly out shining anyone and they play their roles)

Swingle is a beast as far as size and has a beautiful jump shot, Not as physical in the paint as you would expect a kid of his size. He needs some conditioning in order to run for 32 minutes. Being D1 scouted but is not D1 ready. (coach, we know he is your only BIG but a 30 second water break may due him some good)

I can continue with MULTIPLE GREAT players and their contributions to their teams and the sport of hoops, but just want to get some thoughts stirring and throw some opinions out there. It is now time for me to go back into hiding but before I do….. Thank you Pfloyd for starting the conversations that I enjoy reading every day!
Thanks ChiLoBBall ... good factual post with lots of Napkin Stats - perfect ... I can agree to disagree with anyone (except 93bulldog maybe LOL) IF arguments are backed up with "just the facts" ... thanks for the positive input in taking this argument down the road toward the BIG Friday collision at Unioto ... as far as Griffin Lutz imo - he is one of if not the best "scorer" around - in the games I've seen he didn't show me the ability to be a perimeter scoring threat - he has room for improvement outside the 3 point line ... on equal footing getting HIS shot at the rim or in the paint AND with a better perimeter shot (that I have seen in 3 games) is Tristan Bartoe (junior pg for Vinton County) ... BOTH can play on my TEAM on game day LOL ...

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

Ironman92 wrote:
ma77ox wrote:I would say shooting only 29% was meaning there shots weren't falling...Our highest scorer was 15 points by Jerad Kennedy. Sheets, Lilly nor Musser was on last night. Wasn't anything about the Jackson Defense stopping them, they were getting the shots put up, just not falling at all. Don't see where that has to be explained.

Disagree. How many shots did Sheets put up? I know I sat there in the stands and on numerous occasions caught myself saying "nice defense".....what was Meigs 3 point % in the first half? I think Jackson had 4 steals in about 6 possessions in the 2nd half.

Our shots didn't fall either as Cooper's potentially tying 3 point attempt went all the way in and out.
You haven't seen Sheets play very often then, because he always shoots like that and they go in.

I was thinking the #24 with the 20 points was the Freshman

And on the tying attempts there was a lot of pressure putting up what 4 shots in 10.2 seconds?

You just must still be butthurt from us beating you in baseball (yeah that was my son that beat you) HaHa

Nowhere have I said Jackson was bad, there is no point on you coming and trying to convince me, fact is I don't care how good or bad they are, you aren't in our TVC, I don't follow you guys. The defense wasn't anything special, 5 games we averaged over 70 points...It wasn't your defense that stopped us from putting up those point, if anything it was your stalled offense. And our bad shooting for the night.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ma77ox wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:

You haven't seen Sheets play very often then, because he always shoots like that and they go in.

I was thinking the #24 with the 20 points was the Freshman

And on the tying attempts there was a lot of pressure putting up what 4 shots in 10.2 seconds?

You just must still be butthurt from us beating you in baseball (yeah that was my son that beat you) HaHa

Nowhere have I said Jackson was bad, there is no point on you coming and trying to convince me, fact is I don't care how good or bad they are, you aren't in our TVC, I don't follow you guys. The defense wasn't anything special, 5 games we averaged over 70 points...It wasn't your defense that stopped us from putting up those point, if anything it was your stalled offense. And our bad shooting for the night.
I don't have the foggiest idea of what you are talking about. I asked you how many shots he took, because it didn't seem like he took that many for a kid that scores like he has this season. What was his shooting % and what was Meigs % from 3 land in the first half?

Congrats to your son I guess and nice off-topic humble brag. Hopefully my son's team gets to face Meigs in the future...in basketball.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”