Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #1

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
bman
SEO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #1

Post by bman »

The three-year old Circleville gymnasium was filled up for the renewal of the rivalry. A great defensive effort by the Braves, who made it difficult for the Tigers to get the ball inside, especially after the first quarter.

Ridge Young stepped up with a nice game of 25 points, followed by a balanced effort from the rest of his teammates. LE moved the ball very well and had a lot of good shots in the paint.

Michael Camp had an exceptional game for the Tigers, hitting 9 of his first 11 shots to score 20 of his game-high 28 points in the first half.

Logan Elm 63,

Circleville 36

LOGAN ELM — Young 10-4-25, Baldwin 1-1-3, Schultz 3-1-7, Saxton 1-4-6, Smith 4-1-9, Paul 4-2-10, Clydesdale 1-0-3. Three-point goals — Young and Clydesdale. Total — 24-46 13-15 63.

CIRCLEVILLE — Camp 10-4-28, Wadlington 1-0-2, Manson 2-1-6. Three-point goals — Camp (4) and Manson. Total — 13-33 5-9 36.

Quarter scores;1;2;3;4;F

Logan Elm;17;15;17;14;63

Circleville;11;11;6;8;36

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... was present at the Alley for the Alexander vs Minford matchup tonight ...

Alexander 60
Minford 46 final

... Alexander was in control the whole game but Minford was a game opponent for sure ... the Falcons were just short on the firepower needed to take on the Spartan D ... if there is one thing that Alexander does well it is play D - outstanding the entire game ... Minford was/is down 2 players due to injury starter Dillon Shepherd (who is sorely missed on the offensive end) and Simon Thoroughman ... without these 2 key players MHS has a very short bench playing only 6 players tonight ... this is not to take anything away from the TEAM that Coach Shoemaker puts on the floor which IS a good ball club - Trey Kelley, Jared Alley,Brandon Rowe are very good players ... throw into the mix Tyler McCormick, Matthew Gullett and Cameron Dalton and you will beat most teams on the handy dandy pocket schedule ... again not enough offense to beat a physically strong, defensive oriented Alexander TEAM tonight ... Alexander 60 Minford 46 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Minford ...

Scoring ... Brandon Rowe 13, Trey Kelley 8, Jared Alley 7, Cameron Dalton 7, Tyler McCormick 6, Matthew Gullett 5

3 Pointers ... 6/13 ... Trey Kelley 2,Tyler McCormick 2, Matthew Gullett 1, Cameron Dalton 1

FT's .... 8/13

TOs ... 15

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Alexander ...

Scoring ... Mason Chapman 20, Seth Richardson 18, Cory Chapman 8, Jake Weaver 8, Michael Norris 5, Shea Grisby 1

3 Pointers ... 5/13 ... Mason Chapman 4, Seth Richardson 1

FT's ... 21/30

TO's ... 13

... I had the pleasure to watch the Spartans 2 nights in a row - outstanding defensive team ... I am officially a Mason Chapman fan - great basketball player ... he is the spitting image of another great basketball player - Brian Blake who played for Logan Elm a few years back - same build, thick, strong, solid basketball player, handled the ball well, total control on the court/expressionless ... defensively controlled the player he guarded with strength ... keeping the opponent from getting to the places on the floor they wanted to go - Chapman is the same way for Alexander ... Richardson is a solid player offensively - doesn't overwhelm you offensively but gets to the rim and the FT line ... Cory Chapman is the BIG in the middle - a workhorse at both ends of the floor ... my impression of Alexander is that they "out physical" their opponent ... I was talking with Coach Kline of NY the first half of the game - he said it very well - AHS "bullies" their opponent ... I totally agree with his assessment ... I've been impressed with the AHS 6th man - Jake Weaver ... tall, hard-nosed player , I see him as playing a bigger role for the Spartans offensively - I even see Weaver moving into the starting lineup ... hard to keep his offense OFF the court , he adds length/height in the paint/on the perimeter defensively ... a good ball club ...

... as much as I love watching the game of high school hoops - tonight at the Alley is exactly why I totally enjoy the entire atmosphere of hs basketball - as I met up with 93dog before he did his day/night job calling the game for the radio, Lou Horvath "the voice of the OU Bobcats , the Alexander Spartans, AND the OU Bobcats" , Minford's Brandon Rowe's mom (whom I met last year at the Minford Warren game) came up to chat before the game - super nice lady who KNOWS her hoops too !!! ... Coach Blane Maddox & staff made their way up to the Cheap Seats to talk hoops - always good to see Coach Maddox in my travels ... as I mentioned Coach Kline from Nelsonville York stopped up for the first 16 minutes of the game ... had the pleasure of meeting Matthew Gullett's dad after the game, ran into Mr. & Mrs. Davis (Coach Ryan Davis' head coach at Chesapeake parents) - such great people they are ... the people !!! this is why I love high school hoops ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Camp having a great night isn't surprising, but it is surprising to see the rest of the Tigers only notch 8 markers.

Unioto and Adena was never really a tight contest, but the Warriors kept battling and never really went away. And if it wasn't for some cold shooting in the 3rd, they may have made it a close game after getting 3-4 consecutive stops. Adena was led by Jon Thomas with 22 (18 in the first half) and Collin Cory with 13. The Warriors will be without Brian Hall and will need to find other ways to score now. They will be alright, but definitely will have to hit the glass as a team even moreso now.

Unioto had all 5 starters in double figures (Kennedy 16, Cottrill 14, Wheeler 13, Hosley 11, and Swackhammer 10). Edler and Fisher gave excellent minutes off the bench. Unioto faces Paint Valley, Westfall, and Jackson (all At home) next week.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

danicalifornia wrote:Camp having a great night isn't surprising, but it is surprising to see the rest of the Tigers only notch 8 markers.

Unioto and Adena was never really a tight contest, but the Warriors kept battling and never really went away. And if it wasn't for some cold shooting in the 3rd, they may have made it a close game after getting 3-4 consecutive stops. Adena was led by Jon Thomas with 22 (18 in the first half) and Collin Cory with 13. The Warriors will be without Brian Hall and will need to find other ways to score now. They will be alright, but definitely will have to hit the glass as a team even moreso now.

Unioto had all 5 starters in double figures (Kennedy 16, Cottrill 14, Wheeler 13, Hosley 11, and Swackhammer 10). Edler and Fisher gave excellent minutes off the bench. Unioto faces Paint Valley, Westfall, and Jackson (all At home) next week.
Make sure you save me a seat in Frenchtown on Friday night. Looking forward to watching the Mustangs and the Sherman Tanks and two good coaches in Coach Younkin and Coach Hoops.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

pfloyd, Nice post about the Minford @ Alexander game. I think you described the game pretty well. The Alexander defense is very good. Most nights you have to earn every point you get against the Spartans defense. I am not sure I agree with calling them bullies. I do agree that they play physically tough and are well prepared.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Raider6309 wrote:Walnut Ridge 75
Pickerington Central 62
Final
Ibi Watson 34 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, and 3 steals.

Thank god they stay in Columbus for regionals
WR is back to D1. Somehow they gained 120 boys since the recount last year, amazing isn't it? Lol (if we make our FTs, we would've won, so it's not sour grapes at all)

Disappointed that Ibi is going north next year. He's a special talent.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

spartans_fan wrote:pfloyd, Nice post about the Minford @ Alexander game. I think you described the game pretty well. The Alexander defense is very good. Most nights you have to earn every point you get against the Spartans defense. I am not sure I agree with calling them bullies. I do agree that they play physically tough and are well prepared.

... spartans_fan ... I used bullies to mean that they "force their will on the other team- physically" - not a bad thing , not dirty play at all ... they are not a finesse team ... you come across the paint they will bump you, stop you, force you to change direction which interrupts the flow of plays, timing - ALL again the intent of good defense ...

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

danicalifornia wrote:WR is back to D1. Somehow they gained 120 boys since the recount last year, amazing isn't it? Lol (if we make our FTs, we would've won, so it's not sour grapes at all)

Disappointed that Ibi is going north next year. He's a special talent.
John Glenn will be the team to beat. Everyone knew he would go there after his freshman year. Burrow was more of a shock. I really thought he was going to Alabama after Ohio state lost its offensive coordinator to Houston. Hopefully Ohio University keeps Lutz in Athens

The Captain
Waterboy

Post by The Captain »

Huntington St Joe over Portsmouth Trojans by 13. Think it was 76-63

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

pfloyd wrote:
spartans_fan wrote:pfloyd, Nice post about the Minford @ Alexander game. I think you described the game pretty well. The Alexander defense is very good. Most nights you have to earn every point you get against the Spartans defense. I am not sure I agree with calling them bullies. I do agree that they play physically tough and are well prepared.

... spartans_fan ... I used bullies to mean that they "force their will on the other team- physically" - not a bad thing , not dirty play at all ... they are not a finesse team ... you come across the paint they will bump you, stop you, force you to change direction which interrupts the flow of plays, timing - ALL again the intent of good defense ...

Then I agree with your assessment 100%. :) Thanks for taking the time for the thorough write-up of the game.

Go Alex.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

seems the Trojans may struggle with teams with big men

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”