Waterford:

2/16 Trimble
2/20 Fort Frye
2/22 at Trimble

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #11

Post by pfloyd »

I just saw where a Belpre game was moved to the 23rd next Friday ... looks like I the Elite 8 for Week #12 will be posted as usual on Sunday evening ...

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:07 am Waterford:

2/16 Trimble
2/20 Fort Frye
2/22 at Trimble
Will the Waterford and Trimble game be on Monday?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

No. Its 2/22

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Peebles finishes at 17-5,11-2 in the league with tonight's 56-51 win over Ripley and the Dll SHAC title. Not bad for a team picked to finish 3rd in pre season. Coach Arey has I believe coached his best season as Indian Head coach.This team has quietly gelled into a very good team. Congrats Indians.

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Congrats Peebles, a great season!

TrojanMan
Waterboy

Post by TrojanMan »

Really impressed with the season Portsmouth has had so far. Not the most talented I've seen in recent years but they are really playing well together. If this team had a true big like Dion McKinley a few years ago, they would be even more dangerous. Nevertheless, I look for the Trojans to be a very tough out in the tournament. Anything can happen and Portsmouth has already played some of the tougher competition in Fairland and Gallia Academy. They should be well prepared. As long as they can limit those turnovers, I look for a nice tournament run. Go Trojans!

Hasn't been much talk on here this year about Portsmouth. Hope more people chime in, it's tourney time. This is what Portsmouth basketball is all about. Coach Collins has them ready!

TrojanMan
Waterboy

Post by TrojanMan »

biggdowgg wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:33 pm also,want to give a shout out to our coaches ,not many gave this team a chance after we lost our two leading scorers from last year in kendal reynolds and mike malone along with a couple others, trojandave predicted after we watched summer ball that this team could win 15 to 17 games we have two games next week and stand with 13 wins right now,i cant say enough about what this staff does for the kids on and off the court,one of the best staffs around hands down
Great post. Second season starts now. This staff will have them ready for anyone they see in the tournament. I feel like we will see a regional final between Portsmouth and Oak Hill.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

RANDOM POST FOR FLOYD

Sean Marks, a junior from Olentangy, was an amazing 134-of-143 from the free throw line heading into last nights games.

143 free throw attempts and the kid is hitting 93.7%!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

UPDATED SCHEDULE

2/20 Waterford vs Fort Frye
2/22 Trimble vs Waterford
2/23 Belpre at Eastern
2/23 South Gallia vs Miller

Meigs/RV is to be played tonight.
Southern/Wahama is to be played tonight.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Pa Trojan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:49 am Congrats Peebles, a great season!
Thanks. It's now tournament time. Basketball 30.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I second biggdowgg and TrojanMan's sentiments about the Trojans. It has been another very good season for our Red and Blue. In fact, it is the 3rd straight season posting a 15-7 regular season mark. Overall for the decade(all with Coach Eugene Collins), Portsmouth has recorded an outstanding 154-63 record. This year's 15 wins was the 45th time that a Trojan basketball team has won at least 15 games in a season. It also was PHS's 80th winning season since 1913. The all time record of Portsmouth boys basketball now stands at 1,449--767, a SE district best for wins and ranks 8th on Ohio's all time list.

Now heading into tournament play, Portsmouth will by playing for its 65th sectional title. The previous 64 is by far a SE district best. Winning the sectional at Waverly will not be easy. The Trojans always seem to get a stiff test from someone, last year by North Adams in the championship game. PHS is very capable of making a good tournament run, but they will have to be at their best to cut down any nets.

Coach Collins has had a very stable staff to assist him. Jim Arnzen, Greg Smith, Matt Payton, Tyson Phillips, Jeremy Greene, Aaron Smith,and Tom Bailey have been with the program now for quite some time and it has paid dividends.

Proud of our Trojans, and as always, GO TROJANS!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:14 pm I second biggdowgg and TrojanMan's sentiments about the Trojans. It has been another very good season for our Red and Blue. In fact, it is the 3rd straight season posting a 15-7 regular season mark. Overall for the decade(all with Coach Eugene Collins), Portsmouth has recorded an outstanding 154-63 record. This year's 15 wins was the 45th time that a Trojan basketball team has won at least 15 games in a season. It also was PHS's 80th winning season since 1913. The all time record of Portsmouth boys basketball now stands at 1,449--767, a SE district best for wins and ranks 8th on Ohio's all time list.

Now heading into tournament play, Portsmouth will by playing for its 65th sectional title. The previous 64 is by far a SE district best. Winning the sectional at Waverly will not be easy. The Trojans always seem to get a stiff test from someone, last year by North Adams in the championship game. PHS is very capable of making a good tournament run, but they will have to be at their best to cut down any nets.

Coach Collins has had a very stable staff to assist him. Jim Arnzen, Greg Smith, Matt Payton, Tyson Phillips, Jeremy Greene, Aaron Smith,and Tom Bailey have been with the program now for quite some time and it has paid dividends.

Proud of our Trojans, and as always, GO TROJANS!!
... wishing the Trojans the best in the post season ! with your Trojans scheduled confined to the the southern part of the state, I haven't been able to SEE this years edition of the Red & Blue ! hoping PHS finds the path to A'town and Basketball 30 in a couple of weeks ... it will be good to see/chat some hoops with the Portsmouth faithful at the Convo ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: Looking forward to seeing you at the Convo. I sure hope my Trojans can be there. I hope everything is going good for you healthwise.....I just had a biopsy on a growth on my back and it came back benign. 3 years in a row I have had a removal of a suspicious area on my back, and each time it has come back benign. I visit the VA dermatology clinic in Columbus once a year and they do a great job. I am thankful to the Good Lord that I've gotten good results each time.

There are some really good potential matchups awaiting us in Athens. Some favorites will win, and some will lose. Some underdogs will play the game of their life. It's part of what makes tournament basketball the best postseason of any sport.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:46 pm pfloyd: Looking forward to seeing you at the Convo. I sure hope my Trojans can be there. I hope everything is going good for you healthwise.....I just had a biopsy on a growth on my back and it came back benign. 3 years in a row I have had a removal of a suspicious area on my back, and each time it has come back benign. I visit the VA dermatology clinic in Columbus once a year and they do a great job. I am thankful to the Good Lord that I've gotten good results each time.

There are some really good potential matchups awaiting us in Athens. Some favorites will win, and some will lose. Some underdogs will play the game of their life. It's part of what makes tournament basketball the best postseason of any sport.
... glad you are getting things looked at, and taken care of healthwise with you ! brings to the forefront a vocabulary that we don't use on a daily basis - benign , stable etc. stay out in front of anything that is "not normal" ... early detection is the key, procrastination can literally kill you ...

... you're right on the money trojandave with tourney hoops ... so unpredictable - records can be thrown out the window ... it's ALL about "one game" NOW ... "one and done" season IS it ... "survive and advance" IS it ... no one gets "style points" in the post season - it's ALL about the "W" ... it's why the hoops post season IS the best time of the year ! so unpredictable and EVERYONE has a chance to participate , make their mark in the post season - gotta love it !

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

I was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate and bone cancer in February of 2017. I didn’t get to go to the convo last year because of it. I’ve made it to about a dozen unioto and chillicothe games this year and I told my wife no matter how I feel, I WILL be at the convo this year. There’s nothing like watching a high school basketball game at the convo. Good luck to all the teams!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Bronc21 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:59 pm I was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate and bone cancer in February of 2017. I didn’t get to go to the convo last year because of it. I’ve made it to about a dozen unioto and chillicothe games this year and I told my wife no matter how I feel, I WILL be at the convo this year. There’s nothing like watching a high school basketball game at the convo. Good luck to all the teams!
... Bronc21 - I didn't know this ... I hope you are handling the treatments well - as well as can be handled ... I will put you in my prayers to the Head Coach my friend ... I know that when I was in my 4+ year battle with Stage 4 melanoma cancer one of the things that gave me focus was high school hoops, getting out to see games, NEEDING to go see games - it IS part of what I am ! cancer was threatening to take that away from me - I could not let that happen ... I still made it to the Convo each year, made it to the cheap seats - IT'S WHAT I AM ALL ABOUT - I wasn't going to let cancer take that from me ... my thoughts & prayers are with you now and will continue to be with you ... THAT you can count on ...

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:12 pm
trojandave wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:46 pm pfloyd:

... you're right on the money trojandave with tourney hoops ... so unpredictable - records can be thrown out the window ... it's ALL about "one game" NOW ... "one and done" season IS it ... "survive and advance" IS it ... no one gets "style points" in the post season - it's ALL about the "W" ... it's why the hoops post season IS the best time of the year ! so unpredictable and EVERYONE has a chance to participate , make their mark in the post season - gotta love it !

The 1997 Belpre Golden Eagles 🦅 still one of my favorite tournament teams. Due to injury and poor play they were 8-12 on the 1st season. However in the 2nd “One & Done” Season they rattled off 6 wins to capture the District & Regional Championship advancing to the Final 4. What a Ride!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Bronc21 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:59 pm I was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate and bone cancer in February of 2017. I didn’t get to go to the convo last year because of it. I’ve made it to about a dozen unioto and chillicothe games this year and I told my wife no matter how I feel, I WILL be at the convo this year. There’s nothing like watching a high school basketball game at the convo. Good luck to all the teams!
Prayers to you

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Prayers Bronc21, nothing like high school basketball. I am planning on being at convo as much as I can for districts. I definitely be there for regional finals. Not fighting cancer but have had a heart ablation and shocked 4 times to keep it in rhythm.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”