Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #10

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
gametime
SE

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #10

Post by gametime »

SportsGirl83 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:42 pm
Oaktown wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:32 am
Sopump33 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:59 am CG has 2 wins over top 10 teams in last week. How could say that OH deserves to be ranked ahead. What does CG have to do to prove that are for real! You really think OH could beat CG 9 out of 10 Times😂😂! COME ON MAN!!Did you watch the game?
Are you seriously asking if people watched the game? In my opinion that hurts your case not helps it. It took Coal Grove a prayer, 30 foot banked in buzzer beater with two guys in his face to send it to overtime against a team without their 6'5" starting forward to win in OT by 4 points...4 points. It's not like CG manhandled the Oaks like you are making it out to be.

I agree, Oak Hill takes 9 of 10 with a healthy Oaks squad at Coal Grove with the same crappy refs we had and 10 of 10 on neutral court with good officials.

Coal Grove is a good basketball team, but enjoy your win for what it is and let it go man.
Just a little insight from someone who has watched the Coal Grove player who made that buzzer beater since he was in 2nd grade...he is known for his long range shooting, he is a hard working kid who practices a lot so it wasn't a fluke that shot went in. I've watched him drill long range shots like that many times and I think it was a great call by the Coal Grove coaching staff to put the ball in his hands that last play of regulation for two reasons. #1 They have confidence in him and #2 those not very familiar with him would least expect him to get the ball for the last shot to tie it up. Just my two cents on that subject. Good luck to all teams in the upcoming tournament and Go Big Grove!
Really 25 to 30 feet from the basket, on a throw up that bank in. That was the coach's plan, Hmmmmmmm He made it to send into overtime telling someone that shot was planned is priceless, Good luck the rest of the season.

You can't handle the truth
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Sopump33 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:59 am CG has 2 wins over top 10 teams in last week. How could say that OH deserves to be ranked ahead. What does CG have to do to prove that are for real! You really think OH could beat CG 9 out of 10 Times😂😂! COME ON MAN!!Did you watch the game?
Are you seriously asking if people watched the game? In my opinion that hurts your case not helps it. It took Coal Grove a prayer, 30 foot banked in buzzer beater with two guys in his face to send it to overtime against a team without their 6'5" starting forward to win in OT by 4 points...4 points. It's not like CG manhandled the Oaks like you are making it out to be.

I agree, Oak Hill takes 9 of 10 with a healthy Oaks squad at Coal Grove with the same crappy refs we had and 10 of 10 on neutral court with good officials.

Coal Grove is a good basketball team, but enjoy your win for what it is and let it go man.
Just a little insight from someone who has watched the Coal Grove player who made that buzzer beater since he was in 2nd grade...he is known for his long range shooting, he is a hard working kid who practices a lot so it wasn't a fluke that shot went in. I've watched him drill long range shots like that many times and I think it was a great call by the Coal Grove coaching staff to put the ball in his hands that last play of regulation for two reasons. #1 They have confidence in him and #2 those not very familiar with him would least expect him to get the ball for the last shot to tie it up. Just my two cents on that subject. Good luck to all teams in the upcoming tournament and Go Big Grove!
Good for him indeed and a tremendous memory he nor 100’s of others will forget.

I believe he is known for his extra long shots and range, but the fact it banked in means he was 3 feet off target too long but fortunately went in. Had he not banked it in (unless for some reason he was trying too) I could buy in to the great shot. If he tried to bank in the all or nothing shot and did, then great skill and I’ll greatly edit this post.

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00 pm

Good for him indeed and a tremendous memory he nor 100’s of others will forget.

I believe he is known for his extra long shots and range, but the fact it banked in means he was 3 feet off target too long but fortunately went in. Had he not banked it in (unless for some reason he was trying too) I could buy in to the great shot. If he tried to bank in the all or nothing shot and did, then great skill and I’ll greatly edit this post.
Thank you Ironman, I was thinking it and you said it. I'm trying very hard to take the high road and leave this conversation on a positive note. Lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I'm going to call a "truce" between ALL sides on this matter - IF CG & OH fans want to "discuss" their thoughts on Saturday's game - do it on the game thread ... IF the CG supporters now coming out of the woodwork want to "beat their chests" - do it on the game thread ... the game is in the books ... from an outsiders viewpoint what was a good "W" by CG ... from the posts of many other seops posters in the many weeks before this game (from Dec on) Coal Grove is a good basketball team ! ( not sure where all of the CG posters were back then - but I digress) let them be good ! the supporters who are bashing OH , bashing anyone who has a different point of view only - as I posted on the game thread - only diminishes the W and the what the team has done on the court ...

... one of the newbie CG posters posted that "P Floyd was bias for Oak Hill" - I'm bias for ALL teams that have quality coaches (Coach Persin) , quality players, quality programs, quality fans ... hell yes I'm bias ... I have done my rankings for almost 20 years , I have seen many many quality coaches, met many many quality coaches , players, fans from ALL across Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... I WILL ALWAYS give props to , consideration to those quality programs due to the coaches philosophy ... here's the short list : Warren Local, Vinton County, Fairfield Union, Logan Elm,Oak Hill, Eastern Brown, Chesapeake, Fairland, Portsmouth, Chillicothe, Eastern Pike, Trimble, Unioto, Peebles, Zane Trace,Jackson, Waverly, Piketon, Circleville, Washington CH,Ironton, Lynchburg Clay, Fairfield Leesburg, Western Pike ... they are on the short list because the coaching staffs, the Head Coach do/does it right ... no matter the talent levels of these programs the kids learn the game of basketball, the fundamentals of the game ... these programs are THERE - near the top every year - not because "pfloyd is bias for them" - ALL of these programs are at the top the SouthEast District in their respective divisions because of the head coaches and the programs developed by those coaches ...

... when I go to make my "Pre-season" rankings as a starting place I start with this group and what they bring to the table for the season ... other schools may have " good seasons" even "outstanding seasons" by any standard but the teams on my shortlist - these schools, coaches get it done every single year ... so to the CG poster who NEEDED to post that "P Floyd is bias for Oak Hill "- you are right ! if push comes to shove the Oak Hill's of SouthEastern Ohio have earned my respect by what the coaches - like Coach Persin - does with their program year in year out ... I'm guilty as charged ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Coal Grove deserves to be in the top 8, being a d4 school playing a very difficult schedule against D2 and D3 schools. The Hornets are primed to make a serious run in the postseason, hopefully they will stay healthy going forward.

My Trojans need a win over Rock Hill on Tuesday to record the 80th winning season in Portsmouth basketball history (since official records were kept since 1913). GO TROJANS!!!

Waterboy
Freshman Team

Post by Waterboy »

When a team is or was expecting an undefeated season expectations run high. A nice oak hill team was defeated by a nice Coalgrove team . This team from Dawson Bryant plays till the end and never gives up on anything. But whining about the officiating can go both ways . A great team beat a better team and that's a fact. Coalgrove shouldn't be disregarded by anyone this year . They lost to the #1 ranked team in there division from South Carolina in the Cherokee tournament, Fairland twice, and gallia once. . They're the real deal and you can bank on that

I’m a neutral fannnnn of every one in southern ohio
Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

How about my ND Titans?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Mailman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:59 pm How about my ND Titans?

... Mailman ! give me some "love" about ND for next year ... what do the Titans have coming back to build on ? ...

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:02 pm

... Mailman ! give me some "love" about ND for next year ... what do the Titans have coming back to build on ? ...

Titans have 1 Senior this year. They start 1 Senior, 2 juniors, 2 Freahman. With more freshman coming off bench. The way they’ve played the last two weeks have been nothing short of amazing. Teams that blew them out in the first half of season are getting all they want now. Was leading North Adams early in the 4th. Led Symmes and Western for first 3 quarters. They will get the lowest seed but whoever they play better not take them lightly.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Waterboy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:51 pm When a team is or was expecting an undefeated season expectations run high. A nice oak hill team was defeated by a nice Coalgrove team . This team from Dawson Bryant plays till the end and never gives up on anything. But whining about the officiating can go both ways . A great team beat a better team and that's a fact. Coalgrove shouldn't be disregarded by anyone this year . They lost to the #1 ranked team in there division from South Carolina in the Cherokee tournament, Fairland twice, and gallia once. . They're the real deal and you can bank on that
good post

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Mailman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:10 pm

Titans have 1 Senior this year. They start 1 Senior, 2 juniors, 2 Freahman. With more freshman coming off bench. The way they’ve played the last two weeks have been nothing short of amazing. Teams that blew them out in the first half of season are getting all they want now. Was leading North Adams early in the 4th. Led Symmes and Western for first 3 quarters. They will get the lowest seed but whoever they play better not take them lightly.
... THAT'S EXACTLY the good info I need ... most of the schools struggling THIS season are those that have had to replace a senior heavy team from last year ... the majority of the season has been going through the growing pains (getting blown out early), finding the "go to" guy(s) , looking for scorers and the role players who make the whole TEAM function ... glad to see that ND has found answers , can NOW work on making TEAM come together VS opponents - instead of "figuring out" who THEY are on at both ends of the court through on the job training ...

... thanks for the information !

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

78 no where your coming from ! But Logan has a good team jmo ! This rating does not mean squat when T -Time comes around GA needs guard play?

Ljm1720
Waterboy

Post by Ljm1720 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:37 pm I believe Athens is 8-9 now PFloyd. 9-7 sounds better no doubt. Hoping to get to .500 when Wellston comes to town on Tuesday and avenge that 62-61 loss earlier in the season.
Wellston will be without Simpson Tuesday for the 2nd game in a row. Will be tough for wellston to overcome that vs Athens.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Rare Monday night game.

Trimble - 63
South Gallia - 58

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

If you wore to rank these teams by who would beat who and not just off of Records this list would look completely different!

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

great post pFloyd, been reading your post since the days of jj, some of these whipper snappers wernt even alive back then

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Geronimo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:47 pm 78 no where your coming from ! But Logan has a good team jmo ! This rating does not mean squat when T -Time comes around GA needs guard play?
Definitely gotta have excellent guard play tonight vs Fairland!

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:28 pm
Mailman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:10 pm

... THAT'S EXACTLY the good info I need ... most of the schools struggling THIS season are those that have had to replace a senior heavy team from last year ... the majority of the season has been going through the growing pains (getting blown out early), finding the "go to" guy(s) , looking for scorers and the role players who make the whole TEAM function ... glad to see that ND has found answers , can NOW work on making TEAM come together VS opponents - instead of "figuring out" who THEY are on at both ends of the court through on the job training ...

The 2 Freshman I believe are the two leading scorers. Miles Shipp long, athletic, quick creates his own shots and can jump. Jackson Clark is sharp shooting lefty with good handles and vision of the court. The 2 juniors, Ben Mader is deep threat with ability to take it to the rim and Cole Harrell is good shooter but spends majority of his time harassing ball handlers plays with a ton of intensity and grit. The Senior Tyler Speas is a big body at 6’3” 215. He’s a 4 year player and is a floor general making sure all the younger guys are in the spots they are supposed to be in. Doesn’t score a bunch, good for about 6 a game but does all the dirty work, rebounds, steals, takes chargers like it’s his job. Great leader for the younger players. ND will only get better over next 3 seasons.

Basketball:30
Riding the Bench

Post by Basketball:30 »

Mailman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:39 am
pfloyd wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:28 pm
Mailman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:10 pm ... THAT'S EXACTLY the good info I need ... most of the schools struggling THIS season are those that have had to replace a senior heavy team from last year ... the majority of the season has been going through the growing pains (getting blown out early), finding the "go to" guy(s) , looking for scorers and the role players who make the whole TEAM function ... glad to see that ND has found answers , can NOW work on making TEAM come together VS opponents - instead of "figuring out" who THEY are on at both ends of the court through on the job training ...

The 2 Freshman I believe are the two leading scorers. Miles Shipp long, athletic, quick creates his own shots and can jump. Jackson Clark is sharp shooting lefty with good handles and vision of the court. The 2 juniors, Ben Mader is deep threat with ability to take it to the rim and Cole Harrell is good shooter but spends majority of his time harassing ball handlers plays with a ton of intensity and grit. The Senior Tyler Speas is a big body at 6’3” 215. He’s a 4 year player and is a floor general making sure all the younger guys are in the spots they are supposed to be in. Doesn’t score a bunch, good for about 6 a game but does all the dirty work, rebounds, steals, takes chargers like it’s his job. Great leader for the younger players. ND will only get better over next 3 seasons.
Coach Andersen is a tremendous coach. I know there has only been one win for that ND squad, but how much they have improved and how competitive they are shows that he is doing things the right way.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

With a win over Rock Hill tonight, Portsmouth can record its 66th season of at least 12 wins. This past Saturday, Coach Eugene Collins notched his 150th win as head coach of the Trojans (150-62).

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”