Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #1 ... 1/2 a week ...

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #1 ... 1/2 a week ...

Post by pfloyd »

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #1 or #1/2

1. Fairland (1-0)
2. Fairfield Union (0-1)
3. Vinton County (0-1)
4. Oak Hill (1-0)
5. Logan (1-0)
6. Unioto (0-1)
7. Chillicothe
8. Waterford

... TreeHugger Wannabees ...

Sheridan (1-0)
Gallia Academy (1-0)
Athens (0-2)
Zane Trace (1-0)
Portsmouth (1-0)
Wheelersburg
15 Paint Valley (2-0)

Jackson (1-0)
Fairfield Leesburg (2-0)
Peebles (1-0)
Waverly (1-0)
20 Warren (0-1)

Eastern Brown (1-1)
Miami Trace (0-1)
Eastern Pike (0-1)
Piketon (1-0)
25 South Webster

Coal Grove
Meigs (0-2)
Hillsboro (2-0)
Ironton
30 West Union (2-0)

Logan Elm (0-1)
South Point
Trimble
Circleville (0-1)
35 Minford (1-1)

Washington CH
North Adams (0-1)
Belpre
Lynchburg Clay (0-1)
40 Marietta (0-1)

Southeastern (1-1)
Wahama
Greenfield McClain (1-1)
Portsmouth East
45 Adena (0-1)

Western Pike
New Boston (0-1)
Manchester (0-1)
Green
50 Symmes Valley (1-0)

New Lexington
Miller
South Gallia (0-1)
Alexander (0-1)
55 Crooksville (1-0)

Chesapeake (0-1)
Wellston (1-0)
Westfall (0-1)
Portsmouth Notre Dame
60 Reedsville Eastern (1-0)

Southern (1-0)
Nelsonville York (1-0)
St. Joseph (1-0)
Lucasville Valley
65 Whiteoak (0-1)

Rock Hill (0-1)
River Valley (0-1)
Northwest (2-0)
Huntington (0-1)
Portsmouth West
Federal Hocking
Portsmouth Clay (0-2)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #1 ... 1/2 a week ...

Post by Ironman92 »

You have Peebles at #18....they played at home vs Whiteoak. Whiteoak was tight with them until late in the 4th when they started fouling on purpose to get ball back.

Much closer than 15 pt deficit. At least 10 spots too low.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Surprised you don’t have OH and Logan #3 and #4

Several teams won and moved up a good bit

NW beat NB but you have them close to 20 spots back.

I think Southern is maybe the team that should be the most higher.

Hard to imagine South Gallia is better than 20 teams

Meigs off to tough start

Eastern Brown likely too high

I think South Webster is a good bit too high.

I appreciate all the time you put into gathering records and getting out to watch! Love reading through these every week. Sorry I’m so negative Nancy or things I disagree with but I do know they’ll work out and in the end we’ll agree on 98%

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Gotta bump your Chieftains up a bit more! They are for real

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I92 ... you know I have no problem when folks disagree with the rankings - it's all good ... the New Boston vs Northwest score - my source told me that NB was missing 5 varsity players vs Northwest ... needed 5 JV's to fill out the varsity roster ... I'll give the TIgers the benefit of the doubt in this one for that reason ... Northwest beating Portsmouth Clay ? I had the Panthers picked at the bottom of the pack starting the season ... all things work out in the end ...

Meigs SHOULD BE better than Southern ... Meigs dropped (not off the face of the earth though - as I look for them to be the better of the 2 teams) Meigs I believe lost it's first 4 games of last season before the pieces fell into place ... Southern - I had an * beside their name after seeing them in the Shriner's preview as they had some kids who could score the ball ... I'll keep an eye on them ...

... at the end of the first weekend of play :

Logan WAS as good as I thought they would be especially from the top 7 ... size experience off the bench isn't there ... big test will be vs VC next Saturday at Vinton County ...

Vinton County took on Bloom Carroll and took the loss ... VC was down Nevan Yates (not dressed) , Naylan Yates was less than 50% with the ankle injury, anyone who knows anything about BC knows that they are a 3 point shooting, guard oriented team which drives the lane & shoots the trey, very quick - Naylan could not DO what was needed in this game - I was surprised he was able to gut it out the entire game ... VC will be fine! they have as much or more talent than any other team in the SE District ... defensive they are not where they need to be - they will get there ...

Fairfield Union - you take on Columbus South who has a couple D1 basketball recruits as a season opener - the majority of time you will come out on the short end of the score ... Watterson at FU Tuesday night will be a good game, still a tough early season game but it will be at home for the Falcons - the OCC schools are usually very disciplined, strong in the paint, ball control type of teams ... FU will matchup better although I believe Watterson has a 7 footer in the paint ...

Unioto - dropped below Logan ... a head to head contest, on Unioto's home court ... BOTH Logan & Unioto played well, few turnovers ... Peyton Hill was back in the lineup - didn't start but he WAS a spark, and showed he was/is a major piece in the UHS lineup down the road ... Logan was as experienced as the Shermans, as strong/quick on the perimeter as the Shermans and in the end the Logan "goto" guys Caiden Landis and Bo Myers provided more offensively than the Unioto "goto" guys ... the U will be a difficult matchup vs anyone ... excellent basketball team ...

Fairland/Oak Hill took care of "bidness" ... Chillicothe opens with a very good Zane Trace team Tuesday night at the Hat ,,, Waterford goes up against Fairland this coming weekend at the Big E Classic in Fairland ... Logan's next game is 12/9 at Vinton County - VC will STILL be down one starter in Nevan Yates hoping that Naylan is close to 100% but VC will see Logan again later in the year AT Logan ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:17 pm Gotta bump your Chieftains up a bit more! They are for real
... my Purple boys will take on Vinton County next weekend at VC ... THAT will tell us even more about the Chiefs as VC has BIGS who are very physical , VC has quickness on the perimeter in Jake Speakman and Naylan Yates ... the VC perimeter scoring was horrible vs BC - I believe I read where the Vikings went 3/19 from downtown - not exactly Viking-like ... but Naylan Yates played on one leg the entire game - he's a tough kid/a gamer but when he had to do it vs a team that force him to do what he couldn't do - move quickly,cut hard, plant and move - it made a very quick BC team even faster ... it will be a GREAT high school atmosphere Saturday night in McArthur ... if you aren't there early - before the freshmen game early - you may not be sitting IN the gym LOL ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Inside sources for New Boston...you’ve really made a lot of inside contacts over the last decade eh? Lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:38 pm Inside sources for New Boston...you’ve really made a lot of inside contacts over the last decade eh? Lol
... LOL - I have 2 sisters who teach in the New Boston school system LOL ...

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:28 pm I92 ... you know I have no problem when folks disagree with the rankings - it's all good ... the New Boston vs Northwest score - my source told me that NB was missing 5 varsity players vs Northwest ... needed 5 JV's to fill out the varsity roster ... I'll give the TIgers the benefit of the doubt in this one for that reason ... Northwest beating Portsmouth Clay ? I had the Panthers picked at the bottom of the pack starting the season ... all things work out in the end ...

Meigs SHOULD BE better than Southern ... Meigs dropped (not off the face of the earth though - as I look for them to be the better of the 2 teams) Meigs I believe lost it's first 4 games of last season before the pieces fell into place ... Southern - I had an * beside their name after seeing them in the Shriner's preview as they had some kids who could score the ball ... I'll keep an eye on them ...

... at the end of the first weekend of play :

Logan WAS as good as I thought they would be especially from the top 7 ... size experience off the bench isn't there ... big test will be vs VC next Saturday at Vinton County ...

Vinton County took on Bloom Carroll and took the loss ... VC was down Nevan Yates (not dressed) , Naylan Yates was less than 50% with the ankle injury, anyone who knows anything about BC knows that they are a 3 point shooting, guard oriented team which drives the lane & shoots the trey, very quick - Naylan could not DO what was needed in this game - I was surprised he was able to gut it out the entire game ... VC will be fine! they have as much or more talent than any other team in the SE District ... defensive they are not where they need to be - they will get there ...

Fairfield Union - you take on Columbus South who has a couple D1 basketball recruits as a season opener - the majority of time you will come out on the short end of the score ... Watterson at FU Tuesday night will be a good game, still a tough early season game but it will be at home for the Falcons - the OCC schools are usually very disciplined, strong in the paint, ball control type of teams ... FU will matchup better although I believe Watterson has a 7 footer in the paint ...

Unioto - dropped below Logan ... a head to head contest, on Unioto's home court ... BOTH Logan & Unioto played well, few turnovers ... Peyton Hill was back in the lineup - didn't start but he WAS a spark, and showed he was/is a major piece in the UHS lineup down the road ... Logan was as experienced as the Shermans, as strong/quick on the perimeter as the Shermans and in the end the Logan "goto" guys Caiden Landis and Bo Myers provided more offensively than the Unioto "goto" guys ... the U will be a difficult matchup vs anyone ... excellent basketball team ...

Fairland/Oak Hill took care of "bidness" ... Chillicothe opens with a very good Zane Trace team Tuesday night at the Hat ,,, Waterford goes up against Fairland this coming weekend at the Big E Classic in Fairland ... Logan's next game is 12/9 at Vinton County - VC will STILL be down one starter in Nevan Yates hoping that Naylan is close to 100% but VC will see Logan again later in the year AT Logan ...

Yes MEIGS did start out 0-4 last season. And turned it around and found there groove. 3 new starters this season. Have had one week of practice and 2 games under their belts for all starters on floor...they didn't have a scrimmage with all starters healthy and some going to football visits. Baer just coming off his injury and of course Mattox has played 63 minutes of the 64 minutes so far without an ACL.

Southern shot lights out, I think over 44% for the night...I say that will.be one of their better nights of the season.

Why is VC risking further injury with Yates in a non league game, kinda risky to me and not.worth further injury.

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:28 pm I92 ... you know I have no problem when folks disagree with the rankings - it's all good ... the New Boston vs Northwest score - my source told me that NB was missing 5 varsity players vs Northwest ... needed 5 JV's to fill out the varsity roster ... I'll give the TIgers the benefit of the doubt in this one for that reason ... Northwest beating Portsmouth Clay ? I had the Panthers picked at the bottom of the pack starting the season ...

Northwest was also missing 3 varsity players that night, one starter ( their best 3 pt shooter ) and a very athletic 6th man which can play any position 1-5. Also, 2 of first 3 subs played in JV game. Gotta give New Boston credit, their starting 5 played their guts out, #4 was a beast. I believe they played each other in North Adams Shootout this summer with similar results.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Waverly is a little low. Great first win at Miami Trace. The reason I think they are low is because we have scrimmaged many of the teams above them and we're clearly better than. These include Portsmouth, Paint Valley, Athens, and Jackson. Big test Tuesday at Oak Hill. I believe Oak Hill is probably the second best team in Southern Ohio behind Fairland. However I haven't seen Logan. Keep up the great work pfloyd. The argument is what makes it so much fun.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Scrimmages really don't show a lot. Most never play their top 5. A lot play the whole bench. Some in the later scrimmage will play all subs. I have known a team take all the quarters in a scrimmage and then come the true game get creamed. A lot of times a team is trying to find their top subs and starters will not get much playing time. You even have starters that are not out yet due to football.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Watterson does not have a 7-footer.

They do have 6'5 Jimmy Patton, who is a pretty good player.

They are not a very good team. One good player, disciplined, well coached, a couple shooters on the outside.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:17 pm Gotta bump your Chieftains up a bit more! They are for real
... my Purple boys will take on Vinton County next weekend at VC ... THAT will tell us even more about the Chiefs as VC has BIGS who are very physical , VC has quickness on the perimeter in Jake Speakman and Naylan Yates ... the VC perimeter scoring was horrible vs BC - I believe I read where the Vikings went 3/19 from downtown - not exactly Viking-like ... but Naylan Yates played on one leg the entire game - he's a tough kid/a gamer but when he had to do it vs a team that force him to do what he couldn't do - move quickly,cut hard, plant and move - it made a very quick BC team even faster ... it will be a GREAT high school atmosphere Saturday night in McArthur ... if you aren't there early - before the freshmen game early - you may not be sitting IN the gym LOL ...

Playing hurt and favoring an ankle is not wise . I have seen this in the past that you are at risk of long term problems . Hope he gets to 100% soon . Good luck to both teams .

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

In no way, shape or form should south gallia be above any tvc-ohio team. Rebels are young, small and rebuilding.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Looks like Fairland, Logan, and then a big gap. Logan should get some revenge on Athens in basketball

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Its very early, and it will all work its way out,great job keeping us all up to date pfloyd, I don't press the rankings this early in the season, just love reading all of the fantastic information. Trojans opened strong, now hosting Huntington St Joe and a trip out west to meet the Senators of Portsmouth West...Go Trojans

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:17 pm Looks like Fairland, Logan, and then a big gap. Logan should get some revenge on Athens in basketball
You obviously haven't seen Oak Hill. Oak Hill is the only team around that could potentially beat Fairland (in my opinion). A SOLID starting 5 with size and experience, quickness, shooting, and the best coach in SE Ohio.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Should be better than Southern? True, however they played at Meigs and Southern won yet they are 34 spots behind them. Meigs is going to have a long year. Things are not as peachy as they seem in rock springs.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

My Gallia academy blue Devils 10th.. I think that is about right for now... they need to take care of buisness nest 2 weeks.. meigs and Jackson this week.. ironton and rock hill next week...

Meigs always plays us tough... Jackson got blue Devils out of there comfort zone and playing there styles both meetings last year.. Ironton will be a physical contest.. but blue Devils should hopefully take care of buisness until the 19th.. when they make the trip to fairland... I am looking forward to see where the blue Devils are compared to them.. I would expect a fairland win.. I will be shocked if it is still not a ball game deep into the 4th quarter.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”