Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Week #2

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Week #2

Post by pfloyd »

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeastern Ohio - Week #2 ...

1. Logan Elm (4-0)

2. Warren Local (3-1)

3. Athens (2-1)

4. Lucasville Valley (4-0)

5. Eastern Brown (5-0)

6. Zane Trace (4-0)

7. Minford (2-1)

8. Circleville (4-1)

... Treehugger Wannabes ...

Portsmouth (2-1)
Oak Hill (5-0)
Washington CH (3-1)
Miami Trace (3-1)
Unioto (2-2)
Vinton County (2-2)
Southeastern (3-0)
Fairland (3-1)
Lynchburg Clay (4-1)
Peebles (3-0)
Fairfield Leesburg (4-3)
West Union (3-3)
South Point (1-2)
Chesapeake (4-2)
Trimble (0-0)
Coal Grove (3-1)
Logan (2-1)
Marietta (2-1)
Waterford (4-0)
Piketon (2-3)
Portsmouth West (4-1)
Chillicothe (2-2)
Huntington (2-3)
Sheridan (2-2)
Meigs (2-1)
Nelsonville York (2-2)
Alexander (2-1)
Belpre (2-3)
Wheelersburg (0-2)
South Gallia (3-0)
Federal Hocking (1-2)
Southern (2-1)
Ironton (0-3)
Hillsboro (2-2)
Symmes Valley (2-1)
Waverly (0-5)
Wahama (0-1)
Eastern Pike (2-1)
Paint Valley (1-4)
Fairfield Union (2-2)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (3-0)
Adena (2-3)
Greenfield McClain (2-1)
Westfall (0-4)
Portsmouth Clay (2-2)
South Webster (1-3)
St Joseph (3-4)
North Adams (2-2)
River Valley (2-4)
Manchester (1-2)
Western Pike (2-2)
Portsmouth East (1-3)

...Teams on the End Table ...

Wellston (1-2)
Miller (1-3)
Rock Hill (1-3)
Northwest (1-4)
Gallia Academy (1-4)
Crooksville (1-1)
New Lexington (1-3)
Whiteoak (1-4)
Reedsville Eastern (0-4)
Green (0-6)
Jackson (0-3)
New Boston (0-3)

Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bman
SEO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Week #2

Post by bman »

Nice to see Logan Elm in the top spot after a very solid week and also Circleville still in the top eight. Both Logan Elm and Circleville have big games on Saturday, as the Braves travel to 3-1 Teays Valley and Circleville hosts 2-2 Bloom-Carroll. I'll be checking out the Braves on Tuesday against Barr and company from Fairfield Union and then watching the Tigers on Saturday night.

Pfloyd, a date you may want to mark on the calendar is Wednesday, January 2. Probably a light night for basketball, but the Tigers will be hosting Washington Court House at the Mill Street Gymnasium. Going old school for the battle of one-time SCOL rivals.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Does New Boston know you put them dead last?

I think I need to e-mail your alma mater and let em know how your treating them.

and BTW ... the South Gallia Rebels look a little low, Floyd.

:)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Lucky for Athens they have plenty of games coming up to prove themselves. Over the next 28 days they will play at #14 Vinton County, 3 games in Florida, vs #8 Circleville, at the #1 team in the state (D2) in Akron SVSM, and then the #4 team Lucasville Valley.

Crazy month coming up for the Bulldogs.

of course another biggie looms on Jan 21st at #2 Warren.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... IF it makes you feel any better ASVSM lost by one point last night to I believe the #9 team Cleveland Central Catholic 53-52 ... that's 2 losses in a row for Akron! they lost to St. Eds Friday night 72-59 ... they might be very angry by the time Athens comes calling Jan 10th 93dog - just saying :mrgreen:

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

No disrespect intended, but how can Warren be #2, Athens #3 and Circleville #8 after all 3 lost games at home? I'm not saying they won't all finish at or near the top, but with such a small sample size to base rankings on, what were you basing it on? Obviously, the beauty of it being your poll is its only your opinion that matters. At the same time, I think more than a lot of folks who read this site follow your poll closely since you watch all of these teams play over the course of the season and that makes you a great source. Sorry if my question seems harsh at all. I really do respect your opinion and love how passionate you are about basketball :)

white thunder
Riding the Bench

Post by white thunder »

Fairfield leesburg, 4-3

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

...good question Jesco White ... I have seen 6 of my top 8 teams play this season already - Logan Elm 3 times (vs Washington CH, vs Circleville, vs Athens) , watched Warren beat Meigs, Eastern Brown vs Vinton County, Zane Trace vs Amanda CC & Unioto, Circleville vs LE & South Point ... Miami Trace vs Vinton County .. out of my top 15 I have seen 11 play this season ... throw in South Point, Chesapeake, Logan twice, Piketon, Huntington, Meigs, Alexander, Hillsboro, Westfall, Bloom Carroll, Lancaster ... by seeing my top teams I have a good idea how to compare other teams Below the Line ...I watched Logan Elm beat Circleville at Circleville, I watched Logan Elm beat Athens in Athens, I missed the Warren loss to Portsmouth - had to see my Logan boys on opening night in Logan... with that said I will admit THE team that gets short changed until I see them is Lucasville Valley in this weeks rankings ... I haven't seen them YET, I will see them however at least twice (vs Warren at MC and again Jan 11 in the Beasts of the SE at Chesapeake vs Athens) ... I KNOW they are good- I know the Indians players/know what they bring to the floor; is LVHS as good as Warren/Athens/Logan Elm??? I have to see them for that call ... I KNOW what the others bring to the table - I saw how close of a game Athens' 1 point loss to LE was ... I KNOW what the Big 3 for Warren looks like when they are getting it done - the loss to Portsmouth? big loss at home , but I felt Portsmouth WOULD get a "W" vs Warren but I thought it would be at Portsmouth ... both Warren and Athens dropped to where I felt they should be compared to the rest of the teams ... Miami Trace was the weakest team in last weeks top 8 imo, Washington CH had lost to LE on the first night of the season, Court House isn't a top 8 team (yet) but they look/play a lot like Logan Elm ... Oak Hill may be ranked a little high - they aren't flashy, no great players but they are a very good TEAM ... Norm teaches the game beginning with Defense and fundamentals - his kids play fundamentally sound basketball, the ball doesn't hit the floor for more than a bounce pass, rebounders are where they are supposed to be on the floor, crisp passes, great spacing,no wasted dribbles ... I was smiling the whole time I was watching the Oaks vs River Valley yesterday at Rio Grande ...

... I've seen 24 of the teams out of the 72 I rank ... comparing what I have seen which I feel are the best Below the Line, I look at what I know teams have coming back from last year AND what they have lost to graduation, seeing who teams have lost to thus far AND using my Ouija Board - I feel good about the rankings so far ... I get emails from some fellow seops posters who I have known on seops and some since the jjhuddle days - I value their input on teams they see and follow, most are good about telling me whether teams I have ranked I have too high or too low - usually it is where I have them too high and the feedback is on THEIR team that they follow ... it's not perfect, it is but my opinion based on what I know about the coaches, teams, players in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... I don't mind criticism - I read much of the threads that are on here, I know those posters who actually KNOW of what they speak, while I also KNOW those that are not worth the read ...Jesco White ! I take nothing personal my friend! I know I try to be fair ... if someone gives me good reason to consider where I have a team ranked, I will make note and try to make sure I read the papers/get out to see the team in question in person ... I know what I like to see from teams when they play the game - is it the only way to view a game? - hardly - but when what I like in teams fits the teaching/coaching philosophies of the best of the best among coaches Below the Line - I feel pretty good about my view of teams/players and coaching ...

... the first couple or 3 weeks of the season are the hardest to rank but by then all of the preseason hype has been backed up or disputed based on what the product is on the court ... the best teams in Southern Ohio always reach the level in the rankings that they deserve based on their performance not on any one persons rankings or old Ouija Board ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Have even to checked to see if the Ouija Board is actually still working properly?

It is getting kinda old, Floyd - maybe you need to trade it in for a new one?

lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

May I suggest one that likes the 'little guys' more ... i.e. the South Gallia's, Southern's and Eastern's of the world?

;-)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

you're right 93dog about the little guys - they will always get the short end of the stick ... they rarely play the big dogs, they usually don't have the quality "Ws" the bigger schools have ... ranking ALL 72 teams Below the Line is hard on the smaller schools ... it's just 2 1/2 weeks into the season ... I've seen 24 teams so far with multiple eye tests on the Big Boys Below the Line ... starting the season being healthy hopefully will allow me to get out to see some of the smaller schools in the area as well this season - seems like there are just so many BIG GAMES between the upper tier teams that I want to see those games ! LOL ... oh well, I suppose I could stop ranking teams and just go watch games , let everyone be their own judge - which is the case anyway, everyone should be out there watching the good schools/teams so they can make their own comparisons ... unless you see the best teams out there I find many fans have unrealistic views of their own team(s) ... it's all great times no matter what ... I enjoy it ...

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

pfloyd wrote:...good question Jesco White ... I have seen 6 of my top 8 teams play this season already - Logan Elm 3 times (vs Washington CH, vs Circleville, vs Athens) , watched Warren beat Meigs, Eastern Brown vs Vinton County, Zane Trace vs Amanda CC & Unioto, Circleville vs LE & South Point ... Miami Trace vs Vinton County .. out of my top 15 I have seen 11 play this season ... throw in South Point, Chesapeake, Logan twice, Piketon, Huntington, Meigs, Alexander, Hillsboro, Westfall, Bloom Carroll, Lancaster ... by seeing my top teams I have a good idea how to compare other teams Below the Line ...I watched Logan Elm beat Circleville at Circleville, I watched Logan Elm beat Athens in Athens, I missed the Warren loss to Portsmouth - had to see my Logan boys on opening night in Logan... with that said I will admit THE team that gets short changed until I see them is Lucasville Valley in this weeks rankings ... I haven't seen them YET, I will see them however at least twice (vs Warren at MC and again Jan 11 in the Beasts of the SE at Chesapeake vs Athens) ... I KNOW they are good- I know the Indians players/know what they bring to the floor; is LVHS as good as Warren/Athens/Logan Elm??? I have to see them for that call ... I KNOW what the others bring to the table - I saw how close of a game Athens' 1 point loss to LE was ... I KNOW what the Big 3 for Warren looks like when they are getting it done - the loss to Portsmouth? big loss at home , but I felt Portsmouth WOULD get a "W" vs Warren but I thought it would be at Portsmouth ... both Warren and Athens dropped to where I felt they should be compared to the rest of the teams ... Miami Trace was the weakest team in last weeks top 8 imo, Washington CH had lost to LE on the first night of the season, Court House isn't a top 8 team (yet) but they look/play a lot like Logan Elm ... Oak Hill may be ranked a little high - they aren't flashy, no great players but they are a very good TEAM ... Norm teaches the game beginning with Defense and fundamentals - his kids play fundamentally sound basketball, the ball doesn't hit the floor for more than a bounce pass, rebounders are where they are supposed to be on the floor, crisp passes, great spacing,no wasted dribbles ... I was smiling the whole time I was watching the Oaks vs River Valley yesterday at Rio Grande ...

... I've seen 24 of the teams out of the 72 I rank ... comparing what I have seen which I feel are the best Below the Line, I look at what I know teams have coming back from last year AND what they have lost to graduation, seeing who teams have lost to thus far AND using my Ouija Board - I feel good about the rankings so far ... I get emails from some fellow seops posters who I have known on seops and some since the jjhuddle days - I value their input on teams they see and follow, most are good about telling me whether teams I have ranked I have too high or too low - usually it is where I have them too high and the feedback is on THEIR team that they follow ... it's not perfect, it is but my opinion based on what I know about the coaches, teams, players in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... I don't mind criticism - I read much of the threads that are on here, I know those posters who actually KNOW of what they speak, while I also KNOW those that are not worth the read ...Jesco White ! I take nothing personal my friend! I know I try to be fair ... if someone gives me good reason to consider where I have a team ranked, I will make note and try to make sure I read the papers/get out to see the team in question in person ... I know what I like to see from teams when they play the game - is it the only way to view a game? - hardly - but when what I like in teams fits the teaching/coaching philosophies of the best of the best among coaches Below the Line - I feel pretty good about my view of teams/players and coaching ...

... the first couple or 3 weeks of the season are the hardest to rank but by then all of the preseason hype has been backed up or disputed based on what the product is on the court ... the best teams in Southern Ohio always reach the level in the rankings that they deserve based on their performance not on any one persons rankings or old Ouija Board ...

And THAT is why I absolutely LOVE your rankings!! Its irrelevant if I agree on every team or not. You always have your criteria and I truly trust your judgement on what you see. Thanks for explaining some of it to me. As far as my Indians go, I'm not at all concerned with where they are now. I'm content cheering for them and letting their on court play against the big boys, and more importantly in March, dictate what they earn. Thanks again pfloyd!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The great thing about not having time to see the 'little guys" is ........................ you get ol 93DOG chirping in your ear telling you who should be higher on the list.

You probably intentionally not go to those games, Floyd - based on that reasoning alone.

lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Jesco White ! ... I just realized that the Ohio River Classic at Marietta College is THIS coming weekend! I will get to see your Valley boyz vs Warren this coming Saturday - awesome !!! they will get the full "eye test" at that time my friend ... so you don't have to send Mr. Dunn , Mr. West, Mr. Rolfe or the Miller Brothers & Co. to my house to change my mind about the Indians ranking ... I'll go undercover to the game Saturday LOL ...

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Pfloyd or 93bulldog...Where will GAHS be playing in the sectionals this year? Thanks.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Jottings, Gallipolis will be at Southeastern.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: Portsmouth lost to D2 Cleveland John Hay (4-1) 69-61 in OT at PHS. John Hay could beat any team in the SE District, and I have seen Warren, Eastern Brown, Logan Elm, and Valley. They had 4 players in double figures in the win, led by 6-4 Kristen Wilson. Hay's only loss was to Cleveland East Tech, ranked #11 in the Cleveland Plain Dealer poll, which includes Cleveland and Akron area teams (probably a total of 100 schools). John Hay was ranked #16th in the PD poll. The Trojans showed a lot of heart, as they battled back from a 46-32 deficit to tie the game at 56 at the end of regulation.

6-1 sophomore Kyre Allison is averaging 21.7 PPG through 3 games, while 6-3 freshman Kendall Reynolds is second on the team with a 13 PPG average. PHS might be the only team in the district whose two leading scorers are a sophomore and freshman.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Who will be appearing in the Southeastern section this spring?

ironman
Waterboy

Post by ironman »

Just looked it up on OHSAA site... Circleville- Gallia Academy- Hillsboro-Jackson-McClain-Miami Trace-Minford- Unioto- Washington Court House

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

trojandave thx for the info on John Hay, I found some things from past seasons but not much this year, I feel much better about the effort fro the Trojans. Looking forward to seeing your input all season

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”