Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #10

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #10

Post by pfloyd »

biggdowgg ... was Van Horn on the bench or in warmups for Fairland tonight ?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

He did not play ,he warmed up with the team but came back out in street clothes before game started.

Talked to his dad and they are hoping to have him back next gsme

Spectator555
Waterboy

Post by Spectator555 »

Phoenix31 wrote:
TheSportsGuy wrote:Phoenix31, how many of Clay's opponents have you personally watched to warrant such a statement? The Pfloyd eye test and rankings likely contain much more validity than just your opinion.
I know who is on Clay's team. I know who is on Portsmouth's team.

'Nuff said.
Id like to hear names and comparisons between players, you aren't being very respectful to a solid basketball team. Both teams are solid all around, but since you mentioned players in individual, what's your comparisons. Clays schedule isn't as easy as you try to make it out to be, Id love to see Portsmouth run through East, Western, Eastern, Clay, and Notre Dame all twice. Considering you think a 10+ win on the likely number 1 seed would be easy.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Id like to see Clay stay within 10 of Fairland, but Im not getting into this one, Trojans need to come back and finish strong, and lets get ready for the one and done season

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Wheelersburg moves to 13-5 after their win over Adena last night.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

After last night's very competitive loss to Fairland, I feel good about the Trojans going forward. A 5 minute, 2 point drought in the 4th quarter proved to be Portsmouth's undoing, and the Dragons took full advantage of it. Other than those 5 minutes, PHS proved they can play with the Dragons, who are the best team in the SE district.......and still very good without Collin Van Horn. When he comes back, and that looks to be very soon, FHS is a legitimate Final 4 team. If Portsmouth and Fairland meet again in the tournament, I would give our Trojans a chance to win only if we can put 4 good quarters together. So far in both games vs. FHS, the 4th quarter proved to be doom for Portsmouth.

But a lot has to happen for them to meet again.........I would say that Fairland is still the clear favorite to win the district title, while the Trojans will have to work a little harder to make it to Athens. Portsmouth can't afford a cold spell in the tourney like what happened last night.

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

I would agree dave. Trojans will be a tough out for anyone. The Trojans lack of a dominate inside game hurts but they play sound defense and shoot it pretty well. Van Horn turns the Dragons into a contender just because of his defense. He eliminates drives to the basket and allows Fairland's quick guards to gamble with no fear of penetration. Good luck to both squads in their quest for Athens.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Spectator555 wrote:
Phoenix31 wrote:
TheSportsGuy wrote:Phoenix31, how many of Clay's opponents have you personally watched to warrant such a statement? The Pfloyd eye test and rankings likely contain much more validity than just your opinion.
I know who is on Clay's team. I know who is on Portsmouth's team.

'Nuff said.
Id like to hear names and comparisons between players, you aren't being very respectful to a solid basketball team. Both teams are solid all around, but since you mentioned players in individual, what's your comparisons. Clays schedule isn't as easy as you try to make it out to be, Id love to see Portsmouth run through East, Western, Eastern, Clay, and Notre Dame all twice. Considering you think a 10+ win on the likely number 1 seed would be easy.
Ugh.

My heart skipped a beat thinking of Portsmouth playing a Division 4 schedule.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Bring back Gage Hughes (Greenup County, KY), JJ Johnson (George Rogers Clark, KY), and Cole Lowery (Wheelersburg) to this team and it is easily a Top 5 team in SE Ohio!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

biggdowgg wrote:He did not play ,he warmed up with the team but came back out in street clothes before game started.

Talked to his dad and they are hoping to have him back next gsme

... thanks biggdowgg ! I figured IF he was close to returning to the lineup he would be "at least " going through the warmups with the team great to hear ! I was hoping he would be back this season - hate seeing a young man with his talent or any player have their season cut short by an injury ... GREAT news for Fairland as a TEAM as well - imo had he NOT been able to return the FHS prospects of advancing past the districts were in doubt ... with Collin VH back in the lineup - as has been pointed out in this thread - controlling what opponents can do offensively in paint is not as good ... he is big, athletic, is basketball savvy , knows the game and did I mention he was big - by his presence in the paint - he changes what opponents can do and what they will try to do vs Fairland ... good stuff biggdowgg ! thank you ...

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I agree with you Floyd and we a actually told him and his dad same thing after the game.
They ate still a great team without him and have Proven it game after game by beating some good teams ,I don't think he played against Athens either? Maybe I'm wrong.

I really thought we had the W last night against them but that 2 points in 5 minutes was back breaker ...even with that we wad only one down 5 with little over 2 minutest before we started fouling ,they made foul shots and we still couldn't buy a basket.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

biggdowgg wrote:I agree with you Floyd and we a actually told him and his dad same thing after the game.
They ate still a great team without him and have Proven it game after game by beating some good teams ,I don't think he played against Athens either? Maybe I'm wrong.

I really thought we had the W last night against them but that 2 points in 5 minutes was back breaker ...even with that we wad only one down 5 with little over 2 minutest before we started fouling ,they made foul shots and we still couldn't buy a basket.
... Nope - Collin Van Horn did not play vs Athens - that was the first game he was out due to the he sustained in practice ... I agree Fairland IS STILL very good without Van Horn in the lineup BUT as you showed last night - they are beatable by a good team which plays 4 qtrs of hoops - the Dragons are definitely MORE than one player but a 6-9 big with all that talent frees up the rest of the talented players on Fairland to be that much better at both ends ... takes a lot of pressure off the perimeter shooters when they KNOW the big guy is under the basket "just in case" ... I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dragons perimeter shooting percentage go up with Van Horn's return simply because they DON'T HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING ... a large number of the missed shots still will result in points with VH in the lineup ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I've tried to update each team's record going into this week as well as tracking the W's/L's and recording them on the original Elite 8 post for this week ... I've got a few teams that I'm not confident that I have the record correct - New Boston, Northwest, St Joseph ... If someone can look at the records I have and verify one way or the other the record as right or give me the correct records - I will post them correctly ... everyone else I believe are good to go heading into Friday's Midnight deadline for seeding of sectionals in all divisions ...

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

pfloyd wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:I agree with you Floyd and we a actually told him and his dad same thing after the game.

... Nope - Collin Van Horn did not play vs Athens - that was the first game he was out due to the he sustained in practice ... I agree Fairland IS STILL very good without Van Horn in the lineup BUT as you showed last night - they are beatable by a good team which plays 4 qtrs of hoops - the Dragons are definitely MORE than one player but a 6-9 big with all that talent frees up the rest of the talented players on Fairland to be that much better at both ends ... takes a lot of pressure off the perimeter shooters when they KNOW the big guy is under the basket "just in case" ... I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dragons perimeter shooting percentage go up with Van Horn's return simply because they DON'T HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING ... a large number of the missed shots still will result in points with VH in the lineup ...

I think in this case ,us being a jump shooting team actually helps us....we don't get msny ....points in the paint. ...loll...our problem is if we don't hit ,we get into trouble but I also feel like our defense is good enough to keep us in any game...not sure what our largest margin of defeat is ,probably at fairland but we have been in a every game .....

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Phoenix. Clay would beat Trojans 9 out 10 times. Have seen them and there inside , outside game to much in my opinion. They are solid from top to bottom. Coaching goes to Portsmouth but player wise clay comes out on top. Tell your wife she should educate you on Clay history.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

If the Trojans didn't have Coach Collins and the assistants , I believe them no better than 500 at best.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Prime Time wrote:Phoenix. Clay would beat Trojans 9 out 10 times. Have seen them and there inside , outside game to much in my opinion. They are solid from top to bottom. Coaching goes to Portsmouth but player wise clay comes out on top. Tell your wife she should educate you on Clay history.
Hahahahaha

Clay is solid for a Division 4 program in Scioto County. I have watched these players for years. No way they are even close to being above .500 in the OVC.

Step away from the SOC1 kool-aid stand for a while, ladies and gentlemen.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Prime Time wrote:If the Trojans didn't have Coach Collins and the assistants , I believe them no better than 500 at best.
You are 100% correct.

No team would be above .500 without its head coach and assistants.

smh

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Lol, Southern Ohio Basketball , I agree has always started with the Portsmouth Trojans but they lack inside presence, very streaky shooting, which showed last night in 4 th period obviously from reading here.Plus up here in the Hocking Hills your kool-aid comment doesn't apply to all.Waterford will be the Div 4 team any ways. By the way Waterford was down 3 starters at Portsmouth

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

If the truth be told, I believe, Eastern Pike, Western Pike, East, Notre Dame, Clay, would at least split with the Trojans this year and a few of them would sweep them. the Ovc is very weak, Look at some of the Soc 1 schools versus the ovc this year , they have done well, same teams that Trojans played with better results. So sir who is drinking the Koolaid in Scioto County. I know in Athens and Logan are the teams here. But to say Fort Frye and Waterford couldn't compete is totally absurd.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”