Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Final Edition

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Final Edition

Post by pfloyd »

... another great regular season Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... as is ALWAYS the case the cream has risen to the top and in the "final edition" of the Elite 8 rankings I have put the two best teams in Southern/Southeastern Ohio where they deserve to be - at the top, #1 ... Coach LaFon of Ironton, Coach Maddox of Warren Local have led their respective teams to where there has been no question for the 12 weeks of action that they are the best of the best ... Ironton made a Florida swing over the holidays taking on the big boys in FLA while Warren made short order of their opponents here in the Buckeye state from start to finish of the season going 21-1 ... both teams started the 2012-13 campaign 1 & 2, both TEAMS are expected to make tournament runs that backup their ranking, both TEAMS have dented the AP state rankings, both TEAMS have "business" to take care of in the post season - Ironton's seniors are eyeing a final four appearance; Warren's mix of seniors/underclassmen are looking to get over the hump/take the next step in developing the Big Bad Blue program by winning a District title ... Congratulations to Southern/Southeastern Ohio's two best on the hardwood for 2012-13 - the D3 Ironton Fighting Tigers, and D2's Warren Warriors ...

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition

1. Ironton (18-2)/ Warren (21-1)

2. Eastern Brown (20-2)

3. Piketon (19-3)

4. Eastern Pike (17-3)

5. Minford (17-4)

6. Vinton County (17-4)/ Athens (18-4)

7. Oak Hill (18-4)

8. Lucasville Valley (17-5)

... TreeHugger Wannabes ...

Miami Trace (15-6)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (18-3)
Zane Trace (16-5)
Federal Hocking (17-5)
Chesapeake (16-5)
Nelsonville York (16-6)
Fairland (16-6)
South Webster (14-7)
Logan Elm (14-8)
Sheridan (15-7))
Unioto ( 14-8)
Peebles (15-7)
Washington CH (14-8)
Coal Grove (16-5)
Portsmouth West (11-10)
North Adams (12-10)
Whiteoak (12-9)
Portsmouth (10-12)
Logan (8-14)
Portsmouth East (13-7)
Fairfield Union (10-11)
Greenfield McClain (10-12)
Hillsboro (9-12)
Fairfield Leesburg (11-11)
Southeastern (10-11)
Belpre (12-9)
Gallia Academy (8-13)
Chillicothe (7-15)
Southern (10-11)
Lynchburg Clay (9-11)
Wheelersburg (8-13)
Wellston (11-11)
Symmes Valley (11-10)
Westfall (6-14)
Paint Valley (7-14)
Meigs (9-11)
Trimble (10-12)
Huntington (9-12)
Waverly (7-15)
Circleville (7-15)
Wahama (8-14)
Reedsville Eastern (8-14)
Crooksville (8-11)
New Lexington (8-14)
Green (7-13)
South Point (8-13))
South Gallia (6-16)
Miller (9-13)
Marietta (7-13)
Waterford (7-12)
Alexander (4-17)
St. Joseph (7-14)
Rock Hill (5-14)
Western Pike (5-15)
Manchester (5-16)
Adena (4-18)
New Boston (4-15)
Portsmouth Clay (4-15)

...Teams on the End Table ...

River Valley (3-18)
West Union (3-19)
Northwest (2-16)
Jackson (1-20)

Last edited by pfloyd on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Final Editi

Post by Ironman92 »

It looks very good almost all the way through.

I don't like Eastern Pike that high and if you are going to put them that high...why not above Piketon? If they hadn't lost to West I'd completely agree.

The Beast
Waterboy

Post by The Beast »

Notre Dame finished 18-3

TigerPaw22
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerPaw22 »

Gee, Pink Floyd, you don't even have Fort Frye (Div 3) listed at 14-7 with 2 losses to Warren, 1 to Parkersburg South and 1 to Wheeling Park and after going 0-3 in PVC they won next 9 to secure at least Co-Champs. But then that may be because they are considered Eastern District, but are as much a SE Ohio school as their rivals Waterford and Warren. Not sure how OHSAA figured that one out to put them in Eastern District. I'm sure that's how your rankings must be figured. Does make for good conversation though.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Fort Frye - out
Wahama - in

LOL!

I love the rankings Floyd ... BUT ... on the court, I think Ironton, Warren, Athens, Vinton County and Eastern Brown are the 5 best teams ... Athens showed it was every bit as strong as Warren losing 60-57 (without RYAN LEUHRMAN) ... Vinton County showed it was as strong as Piketon, beating the Red Streaks on a neutral floor 62-60 ... but rankings are created to factor in EVERY win/loss so I understand where you have them in the standings.

strength of schedule should mean something ... yes, Athens tripped up against Wellston, lost at Logan w/o Saltzmen ... but the wins over top teams should still carry some weight when figuring out rankings, IMO.

2013 ATHENS BULLDOGS:

Chesapeake (16-5) ... 60-47 W
Logan Elm (14-8) ... 56-53 W
Hanibal River (15-6) ... 76-72 W
Nelsonville-York (16-6) ... 74-47 W
Warren (21-1) .... 57-60 L
Fairland (16-6) ... 69-59 W
Vinton County (17-4) ... 52-44 W
Nelsonville-York (16-6) ... 64-63 W
Vinton Vounty (17-4) ... 55-58 L

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

HOW DARE YOU RANK MILLER BEHIND ALL THOSE OTHER HOCKING TEAMS? LOL

FINAL TVC-HOCKING STANDINGS:

Federal Hocking (13-3)
Belpre (12-4)
MILLER (9-7)
Trimble (8-8)
Southern (8-8)
Eastern (7-9)
Wahama (6-9)
Waterford (4-11)
South Gallia (4-12)

The last game they played vs Southern ... Miller 56, Southern 37
The last game they played vs Trimble ... Miller 63, Trimble 40
The last game they played vs Belpre ... Miller 66, Belpre 61
The last game they played vs Wahama .... Miller 62, Wahama 44

* I'll give you until the end of the day to move the MIGHTY FALCONS up the list - or - I'll just use my 'moderator tools' and do it myself ... :)

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Miller should definitely be above South Gallia. I think you could argue the others

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Super Trooper wrote:Miller should definitely be above South Gallia. I think you could argue the others
standings don't lie Super ... over a 16-game schedule from the start of the season - until the end - against head-to-head competition ... Miller was (9-7) - 3rd best in the Hocking Division.

:mrgreen:

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I agree

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Thx for a great season once again pfloyd, it has been an honor watching your post each week. Very happy that your health is hanging tough, looking forward to next year and this one isnt even over !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... TigerPaw22 - you are right, the only reason Fort Frye is NOT ranked on my list is that they are not considered Southeast District ... I would love to include them in the rankings for the simple reason that there are great posts about and support for FF, the PVC thread gives great information as well - never a tough time to find a Fort Frye score or recap ... heck IF Wahama can get a ranking FF should be considered LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... LetsGoPSU ... you know I enjoy the hs hoops - the rankings aren't work , they are a pleasure to do every week - I'm glad that fans of hs hoops such as yourself think enough about them to "tune in" every week to read them! LOL ... your support all season and going back 2 years when I found out I had cancer - I can never come close to describing how much getting the emails, PMs, posts meant as I was doing treatments - all I can say is thank you my friend ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

*I'll give you until the end of the day to move the MIGHTY FALCONS up the list - or - I'll just use my 'moderator tools' and do it myself ...

... LMAO !!! :mrgreen:

2/15/13

South Gallia 50
Miller 45 final

... timing 93dog - you know that - the losses by Athens/Vinton County , dropping them into 6th spot - timing ... the other teams (Minford/Eastern Pike) picked up quality wins (Minford beating South Webster & Oak Hill ... Eastern Pike going on the road to beat Portsmouth East ... all when VC/Athens each picked up an "L" on their handy dandy pocket schedules) - timing ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... getting psyched for Fridays match ups here in the Land of Purple as Logan hosts one of the D2 Sectionals again ... Athens vs Gallia Academy at 6pm followed by Vinton County vs Fairfield Union at 8:30pm ... the Athens Bulldogs should be at full strength as Sacchia Saltzman is expected to be back in action - Saltzman's return makes the Bulldogs not just a good team but turns them into a one of the top TEAMS in Southern Ohio ... Saltzman back on the court gives Coach Skinner a little longer bench while giving AHS that additional "go to" player as SS can score from the 3 point line, with his biggest threat being imo he is able to penetrate, get to the rim - Athens moves on imo ... the nightcap game between the Vikings & FU should be a good one as both Vinton County & Fairfield Union will be coming off a season ending losses in the regular season ... FU's PG Jordan Barr is the key to this game - Logan in beating FU Saturday 40-45 was able to take him out of the game by switching defenders going from matching quickness to using a player with length to make it tough for Barr to get shots from the perimeter ... if VC takes the ball out of Barr's hands, forces FU's "role players" to handle/distribute the ball - VC moves on ... IF Barr gets his shot,if Barr is able to run the offense the Vikings will have their hands full ... best of luck to all four teams come Friday night at Jim's Gym here in Logan ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The 'timing' excuse works during the season ... for a 'season ending' rankings however - I think looking at the entire schedule as a whole should be considered ... :)

Wait till you witness MIller knocking off South Webster to reach the district finals ... you will be back on here claiming 93dog is some sort of 'basketball genius!'

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... "throw out the last week of action and "look at the whole season""? ... ranking is done weekly, a "what have you done for me lately mentality", I rank the teams on a cumulative basis AND a weekly basis every week of the season ... if I turn a blind eye to South Gallia beating Miller in the last week then I should overlook the losses by both Vinton Co and Athens in the last week? ignore Minford and Eastern Pike quality wins in the last week ? ... the "look at the whole season" to do the final ranking would be what I do to come up with the "preseason" rankings in coming up with an initial starting point for all teams based on many factors but "whole season - previous season" helps get the process started ... I can't ignore losses, or wins right up to the end of the season - sorry ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:if I turn a blind eye to South Gallia beating Miller in the last week, then I should overlook the losses by both Vinton Co and Athens in the last week?
Sounds good to me.

:mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

'what have you done for me lately'

Miller is (4-3) in their last 7 games.
South Gallia is (1-6) in their last 7 games.

*Can't go 'head-to-head' as sole determining factor because NY would be ranked above VC ... and VC would be ahead of Piketon.
* at least move Miller above South Gallia and we'll call it a draw - and I won't have to go in and edit your post ... LOL ... who's knows, my fingers might take over and Athens could end up #1.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Morgan will be in the Elite 8 rankings next season :mrgreen: ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Morgan (2-18) ... they're not even sitting at the end table ... you gotta a small coffee table - or perhaps a kiddie chair they can sit in or something?

did I mention Miller SWEPT Belpre? swept Wahama? but are still ranked below those teams ... LOL ... and don't forget they do WEAR PURPLE - where is the 'style points' - that's worth at least 3 places in the rankings I think ...

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”